Monterey Elite Review

manufacturer: Fernandes date: 05/25/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Fernandes: Monterey Elite
Fernandes has taken that spirit and melded it with their innovation to create the Monterey Elite electric guitar.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 8.8
 9.6
 7.9
reviews (3) pictures (3) 23 comments vote for this gear:
Monterey Elite Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2010

Purchased from: Beyond Eleven

Features: This is a positive review for the Fernandes Monterey Elite Tremelo, brand new for 2010... made in Korea, this Burny-made LP copy is 24 3/4" scale w/ Ebony fretboard w/ a sunken licensed Floyd Rose, Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge & Fernandes 101 sustainer in the neck, solid gorgeous maple top, completely bound neck & body w/ gold hardware... 1 volume, 1 tone, 2 off/on switches for sustainer [1 for sustainer... 1 for feedback], locking nut. // 10

Sound: This is a grrreat sounding guitar w/ it's Seymour Duncan HB in the bridge & Fernandes sustainer in the neck- the Fernandes Sustainer especially creates infinite sustain for notes when turned on while the 'Duncan sounds solid with a sweet, full voice... The Fernandes is very muddy sounding on cleaner serttings, as the 101 pickup is better used for distortion styles of Rock & Metal... & as a rock/'metal instrument, this guitar excels with it's sustained tones & feedback=drenched sustain! It's play-abiltiy is this Burny-made LP's most excellent quality as the neck is comfortable & fast while the slightly thinner body seems to imitate the old Gibson Custom LP Lite which is comfortably lighter than a Standard LP copy // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar arrived with a basic setup from the warehouse which I quickly lowered to my tastes & there were slight adjustments in getting the play-ability completely to my comfort yet the overall function was excellent... The licensed Floyd Rose works really well although the screw down whammy bar needs to be replaced with a FR bar with mounting screw so it locks down tight- easy to replace! The volume & tone knobs were not adjusted for smooth rotation & needed adjusting as well. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This Burny/Fernandes creation is a very solid "LP Lite"-styled guitar with almost every detail reflecting a distinct appearance & quality feel that allows me to totally enjoy the experience of playing this unique guitar... // 9

Overall Impression: This a wonder-full new guitar creation answers the need for an affordable, yet high pro quality, LP w/ Floyd Rose & Fernandes Sustainer for the contemporary electric guitar player that values such features in their solid-bodies... For this guitar player, the Monterey Elite TREMELO represents this style of guitar beauty-fully! My only complaint is that Fernandes did not install their best 401 sustainer system, used by most of their pro endorsees, yet the 101 is a good start & I plan to have a 401 installed very soon to bring this feature up to my preferences... & that should be made easier by the existing pickup's wiring & routing... So, overall, I LOVE this guitar like I LOVE my Jackson/Fender Phil Collen PC-1 "Au Natural" = outstanding sustainer pickup / Floyd Rose trem guitars! I just think that this new "state of the art" guitar technology will be further refined in the future by Fernandes with the installation of their best pickup into their best guitar models & making the mods I am making to this great axe unnecessary... // 9

Monterey Elite Reviewed by: megadeth01, on november 06, 2009

Purchased from: The guitar workshop

Features: As far as I no when brought Fernandes was clearing old warehouse stock, it came in a beautiful mat black finish in wich I also own a White one now do to the love of the guitar and make, the neck is loaded with razerblade pearl inlays (in my opinon they look like razerblades) 22 jumbo frets, maple with a thick grip, the head is loaded with grover machine heads, on there site I'm almost sure they are shown with EMG pickup in the brige positon but mine arived with Seymour Duncan humbucker with a beautiful tone, the neck pick up is loaded with a Fernandes serstainer system witch is a great neck pickup as well sertainer, the bridge is a string fru les Paul style brige wich every one noes a great bridges, 1 tone nob and 1 volume nob with you simple neck and bridge switch. // 10

Sound: Personly I would say it a great heavy rock guitar although I play it to metal sound through a Line 6 half stack with just a Boss distortion pedal and a reverb pedal wich you get a great sound, I've on played in Standard e tunning once or twice do to my band play in drop c and c# and is sounds great but when run on clean sounds just as good. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have to of these guitars one came with no reason for a setup but the over came with a flat battery and a couple of bumps wich was da disapointment, the only thing that I have changed is swapping pickups and have a fiitef Seymour Duncan blackout wich gives it a great hardrock sound. // 9

Reliability & Durability: All I can say I great mine are chucked around and never just hang round my neck when I play, it's took nock after nock and sounds as good as the day I brought it. // 10

Overall Impression: I ain't just making my guitar sound good over's may disagree but in my opinon it's the best guitar on the Market Fernandes deliver every time please go and try one out and see for you self. Thank you. // 10

Monterey Elite Reviewed by: megadeth01, on november 10, 2009

Features: Fernandes Monterey Elite made in china. It has a maple neck with 22 jumbo frets, Les Paul style body in gloss ivory coloured finish, with a black trim and tusq man made ivory to enhance harmonic sustain. It has a string- thru body and active Fernandes sustainer system also equipped with a passive Seymour Duncan humbucker in the bridge position. It has a volume and tone control and two sustainer switches, Standard grover tuners in gun metal grey, it also came with a fitted Fernandes hard case. // 10

Sound: Music style wise it would be best suited to a heavy rock/ blues player although I play a more hardcore heavier style of music and I can achieve this style quite successfully with this style, but other guitarists may disagree. I currently use a full Line 6 spider half stack which I run through clean settings so I can use my Boss dd-7 and SD-1 effects pedals. I have a nice clean sound from the guitar with the set-up I'm using. The Seymour Duncan humbucker gave me a heavy rock sound, but the sustainer used while playing through the Seymour Duncan gives me a crackling interference through my amp( this may have been the amp) but the guitar could be adapted for different styles and variety with new pickups or different effects pedals to play more varieties of music. My neck pickup, although a sustainer pickup, when not active I.e. When not using the sustainer, is a fantastic neck pickup, it gives a great tone for shredding and sweeping, when active the sustainer is hard to describe because everyone uses the sustainer differently and there are lots of ways to use the sustainer, but I would recommend trying a guitar with a sustainer system if you haven't already. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There were no problems with the guitar when I purchased it, it was set up fine in Standard e tuning and ready to go. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is a very good guitar to withstand Live playing, and it can cope with bumps and knocks that wouldn't be noticed or effect the finish of the guitar. I don't use a back-up guitar and the Monterey Elite holds it tuning really well, every thing seems solid and long lasting, I would recommend it for gigging. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion it's a fantastic guitar, for me personally it suit's my style of music and playing, obviously there are other great guitars out there like Gibson les pauls, ltd eclipses etc which I have played and the Monterey Elite holds up the those standards perfectly, I've always like Fernandes in general, and I have owned a ravelle and a dragonfly I like the playability and tones that Fernandes produced and that's why I chose to get a higher end model, I chose the Monterey Elite in particular because I have always favoured the les Paul shape, I will add that on the Fernandes website, the guitar is shown with Standard fret dots, but mine has razorblade pearl inlayson the neck, which my Ravelle X also had, the guitar on the website also is not available in black, ivory or matt black, they are available in these colour options but through your local Fernandes dealer. I would like to add that I submitted this review once before and it came out wrong, due to predictive text and misreading the categories and spelling issues. I spoke more about what I had done to the guitar rather than the Standard setup, I wil give this guitar 10 on everything, because I can't find fault with it, but I have updated the pickup from the basic setup it came with to a Seymour Duncan blackout, due to my personal preference. // 10

More Fernandes reviews rating category latest review
+ Ravelle Deluxe 8.6 Electric Guitars 03/05/2014