Ravelle Elite Review

manufacturer: Fernandes date: 03/14/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Fernandes: Ravelle Elite
Guitar Player Editor Pick Award the Fernandes Ravelle Elite is as unique as the people who play it. Guitar players have been searching for a better more consistent way to control and manipulate feedback. The Ravelle Elite puts that power at your fingertips. Reeves Gabrels and Dave Kushner (Velvet Revolver) use the Ravelle Elite as their main guitar on tour!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.3
 Reliability & Durability: 8.5
reviews (3) pictures (3) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Ravelle Elite Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 14, 2005

Features: Guitar players are persistently pushing to forge their own sound and image. The Ravelle was developed and created with this in mind, uniqueness, individuality and personality. The Ravelle features a Fernandes trademark body shape using only the best tone woods available. A 5A Canadian maple top coupled with a solid mahogany body and neck with a 22-fret rosewood fingerboard. Equipped with a graph tech nut, grover tuners, Gotoh Tune-O-Matic bridge and Seymour Duncan USA humbuckers (JB/Jazz), the Ravelle encompasses al that is distinct. // 10

Sound: This guitar is really made for rock music. Dave K from Velvet revolver plays one. The duncan pickup gives brilliant rock sound, and is also brilliant for blues. Played through a Marshall amp it's probably the best rock sound I've ever heard. It's pretty good for metal too. The neck pickup sounds nice but not as good as the bridge unless your using the sustainer. They make a model with another Duncan instead of the sustainer if you don't think you'll use it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on this guitar is amazing. It is pretty much the finest maple available used on the cap, would be rediculously expensive if it wasn't assembled in Korea. The sunburst looks much better than on a Les Paul. The action is low, lower than a Gibson, but not as low as an Ibanez. The machine heads are so reliable it will virtually never go out of tune. // 10

Overall Impression: This is an amazing guitar. If you're into rock then its definatly worth checking out. Its better than any Gibson in the same price range. If it was stolen I'd get the same again but possibly get the one without the sustainer. That model also has a coil tap I believe. So in conclusion, Its great, try one. However in the UK its pretty difficult to track one down, but good luck. // 10

Ravelle Elite Reviewed by: evilbiscuit, on september 11, 2006

Purchased from: Flying Pig

Features: I have the 2005 model of this guitar. It is Korean made, mahogany body, rosewood finger board, 5A canadian maple cap. Originally had Seymour Duncan pickup and sustainer. Now has EMG and sustainer as the 2006 models do. One volume, one tone, stop tail bridge. All in a very standard set up, similar to a les paul. The sustainer is a unique feature so extra points there. I would like 2 volume 2 tone controls though and a coil tap would be useful. I think some models which don't have a sustainer do have a coil tap. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of different music, especially as I was a music student. This guitar is great for classic rock metal or blues. It wasn't so great when I had to play pop funk or soul music, but it performs as well as any other guitar with humbuckers would in this situation. I play it through a Marshall DSL and it sounds amazing. The sustainer is interesting, great for creating atmospherics in the way you would usually use a string section, but when the sustainer is off the neck pickup sounds a bit weak. The sustainer can also create controlled feedback at the flick of a Switch, cool for intros/outros. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action and general set up was excellent when I got the guitar, but over a year of hard playing everything has slightly gone out of whack, but this is what happens with new guitars as the wood settles. After making a few adjustments it plays great again. Brilliant for riffs or soloing, I don't use it so much for bar chords as some of the notes seem to choke occasionally when you are further up the neck. The finish is truly amazing, probably the best I have ever seen. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is made of tough materials and is put together really well with a glued in neck. It can take some serious punishment. The sustainer needs a battery, and if this goes dead your bridge pickup will not work either even though it is passive, as it is part of the active circuit. As long as you keep your battery fresh I can't imagine any problems. One other minor nigggle is that the toggle Switch is in a position where I occasionally hit it while strumming, but this may not be the case for other people. I once had a problem with the sustainer which had to be repaired. The guitar itself is totally solid, but maybe the electronics could do with being upgraded, I assume the sustainer is made in korea along with the rest of the guitar. The tuners are grovers which never go out of tune unless effected by temperature. // 7

Overall Impression: Generally this is a great guitar. It's unique, nice to play and sounds great. It is slightly top heavy which is fine if you have a leather strap, but on a seat-belt style strap it will slide a little. I would love to get a customized version of this guitar. I would have it basically the same but with 2 volume and tone controls, move the pickup switch and have regular humbuckers instead of a sustainer. I would also like to fix the weight problem by filling up a little of the hollow space in the body. // 8

Ravelle Elite Reviewed by: ChamsRock, on march 14, 2012

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: This was a brand new, 2011 Fernandes Ravelle Elite, in see-thru black. It was manufactured in Korea. It has a Standard 24 3/4 scale length neck, with a rosewood fretboard, and beautiful abalone inlays and binding. The neck is very thin (think SG) and is extremely fast and comfortable. It has a 5-A quilted Canadian maple top, and a solid mahogany body. It has a wonderful cutaway, which allows more fret access than a Les Paul or Stratocaster, and it looks wonderful. It comes with your standard tune-o-matic bridge. The electronics are active, because of the best feature of this guitar; the sustainer. It is in the place of the rhythm pickup, and allows you to indefinitely sustain your note, and gives you the option of raising the note by a harmonic. The bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan JB. Which could be better, but isn't too shabby. You are given one volume knob, and one tone knob, as well as the switches for the sustainer. The tuners are an unknown brand of locking tuners, which work well. The guitar also comes with a Graph Tech trem nut, which seems very reliable. // 9

Sound: The guitar suits the many styles I play quite well, which include grunge, punk, classic and hard rock. I dabble in metal and prog as well, and the guitar can certainly hold its own in them. The JB does lack a little bit, but it's nothing proper EQing can't fix. I run this straight into a 50w Peavey Valveking 112 combo amp. There is very little noise, although I would recommend a noise gate for higher volumes, but I would advise one for any guitar. The guitar has a nice variety of sounds, the rhythm pickup can get nice, smooth lead sounds, which are a bit stronger when the sustainer is switched off. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up beautifully when I first picked it up. I didn't have to set it up at all. Upon close inspection, the guitar looks exactly as it should; there are no loose pieces, improperly routed or crooked pieces of hardware or electronics. The wood seems to be of excellent quality, and the tuners are the best of any guitar I have owned. The nut is well in place, and the guitar in general looks brand-new, as it should. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand live playing. I wear a belt all of the time, and I have not noticed a single scratch on the back. The finish is quite solid, and it should last a very long time. The hardware is sturdy, and the electronics seem very reliable as well. The strap buttons are incredibly sturdy, as well. Although I would never gig without a backup, this would be the guitar to use if I needed to. // 10

Overall Impression: I play almost everything that the rock genre encompasses. This guitar is very versatile, and I believe it could be the perfect match for anybody. The neck allows for easy chord playing, as well as extremely intricate lead parts. I have been playing for nearly 3 years, and I own 7 other electric guitars, including an Epiphone G-400, a Slash Appetite For Destruction Les Paul, and a Hagstrom Ultra Suede. There is no comparison. This guitar blows them out of the water. I play through a 50w Peavey Valveking 112 combo, and I can get great sounds from this guitar. This guitar exceeded my expectations phenomenally. If it were lost, stolen, or broken, I would rush to my computer and order another one immediately. Not a day goes by where I don't play it. My only complaint is the JB in the bridge. It seems to lack a little, which is a shame, because this guitar would be my perfect match. My favorite thing about this guitar is the neck. Everyone who I know says it is one of the nicest necks they have ever played, and I completely agree. I bought this guitar on a lark, and I am thoroughly happy I did. // 9

More Fernandes reviews rating category latest review
+ Ravelle Deluxe 8.6 Electric Guitars 03/05/2014