Ravelle X Review

manufacturer: Fernandes date: 09/15/2007 category: Electric Guitars
Fernandes: Ravelle X
Featuring Solid Alder body, Maple bolt-on neck, 22-fret rosewood fingerboard, Triangle Trapezoid inlays, 2 Fernandes high-output humbuckers, Tune-O-Matic bridge with string-thru-body construction, 3-way toggle switch, 1 volume, 1 tone, Matching body-headstock finish.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.5
 7.8
 8.1
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Ravelle X Reviewed by: brokenwizard, on october 09, 2006

Purchased from: Foulds Music Derby

Features: This guitar has 22 frets, maple & rosewood fingerboard neck and a solid alder body. It also has a string thru body Tune-O-Matic bridge. It came with stock passive Fernandes humbucker pickups with 3 way bridge/brigde-neck/neck selection with 1 volume and tone Switch which seems to be pretty standard with Fernandes guitars, it does afford you enough control however. It also feature the unique ravelle look describable only as a stange hybrid between a les paul and a mockingbird type shape. // 8

Sound: I play mostly metal and this guitar does produce quite a powerfull metal sound with the stock pickups although I have an EMG 81 and EMG 60 in it now and even on my crappy Spider II I get a pretty awesome tone out of it. The stock pickups were never noisey. It also performs pretty well in a clean or jazz kind of tone as would be expected with an alder body. I managed to succesfully get most genres tones with this guitar and for 220 I could not believe how good this guitar sounded, I fell in love with it straight away in the shop and never once regretted purchasing it, now all I need is an amp to do the guitar more justice than the spider gives it (which surprisingly is still a lot). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came pretty well set up, the action is very comfortable, the finish was perfect though I have noticed it seems to chip quite easilly, although so did my previous guitar so I might just treat it badly. It stays in tune very well with the stock bridge and tuners, I've never had any tuning problems even in D drop C with 10s. The electonics also came perfect with no noise or anything from the pots and selector switch. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Like I said before the finish may be a little poor but other than that this guitar is reliable as hell! I've played many a gig with it and it's never cut out on me and sounds great! I do as a general rule play with a backup because I have a nasty habit of breaking strings whilst playing but this guitar definately delivers! // 7

Overall Impression: I think this guitar would be able to play any style of music wether it be punk, jazz, metal or anything in between, it's deffinately the favourite guitar I play, especially compared to friends Gibson sgs and shecter guitars. Unfortunately if it were lost or stolen I would have trouble getting another one as Fernandes guitars are very rare in the UK but I would try to get another one, the one thing I wish it had were a floyd bridge but that's just cause I really want one not that it would make the guitar any better particulary. Overall a great guitar especially for the price! // 9

Ravelle X Reviewed by: CapnKickass, on september 15, 2007

Features: I bought this guitar in 2006, the sticker on the back of the neck says made in China. It has 22 frets, and the neck scale is about 24 1/2" guesstimatingly. The neck has a slim 'C' shaped profile so it is comfortable but still fast. It is a bolt-on type neck made of maple and has a rosewood fretboard, with pretty mother of pearl split trapezoid inlays (which look much better then the Gibson type inlays imo). The Guitar body is made of alder and is nicely beveled which is unique to the X model of Ravelles and adds a bit of comfort and compliments the overall look of the guitar. The finish on my guitar is dark metallic grey the head stock has matching finish as well. For hardware it has a Tune-O-Matic type bridge with string-thru body, Grover tuners, and two high output Fernandes humbuckers. Controls are simple, 1 volume and 1 tone knob, and a 3-way toggle switch. // 8

Sound: I like to play a variety of rock and metal, and I like experimenting and make up riffs and such, so heavy distortion and and good clean tone are equally important for me. I play through a Orange Crush 15R amp which I usually leave on the clean channel and rely on either my DigiTech signiture Dan Donegan (Disturbed) 'The Weapon' pedal or sometimes my DigiTech Grunge for distortion. I also use a Behringer delay pedal, and my 'The Weapon' has a good variety of effects besides plain distortion. It all works well with my guitar.With a clean setting the neck pickup has a nice mellow tone which is perfect for playing stuff like broken chords and the like, ala Stairway to Heaven. With both pickups selected you get a good mix of the neck pu's mello sound with the bridge pu's more prounouced punchier brighter sound. The Bridge pickup selected gives a cool growling type sound that's almost distorted, cool for some Metallica stuff. When I play with distortion the neck pick up performs the best for chording and you can hear every note, both pickups selected is also good for chords as well as any other techniques and has a more heavier tone, the bridge pick up is good for power chords making the sound nice and heavy, and it works good for lead. The pickups don't make any noises so that's good and for stock they seem to be high quality. I'd need a more high gain amp to see truly how well it handles exteme metal distortion. But I'm definatly content with the cleans. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup not bad when I bought though I didn't know what I was doing for a while, but after a while I noticed that there was some fret buzz that muted the 1st fret notes, that was easily fixed by raising the bridge. The action is now quite comfortable. There are a few minor things that are a little annoying: when the tone knob is turned up it causes a buzzing noise, and I tried doing the tremelo effect a little too much with the volume knob and now it makes a kind of hissing ring sound when it's only turned halfway, I always have have it full volume anyway. Also the pickups rattle slightly when I hit certain notes and the when I play the 15th fret on the bass E string there is some fret buzz behind my hand around the 7th fret. But those are thing you never notice while plugged into an amp. Everything else is just super. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I treat my guitar generally well, I've smacked the headstock a number of times against things but no harm done. Nothings come loose on the guitar and it's solid, no problem with strap locks or any thing like that. I've played it infront of a few minor audiences before, no big deal. Seeing as it's my only guitar a backup isn't much of an option but it doesn't worry me. The finish is nice and glossy and smooth looks to be a fair thinkness, the gloss has a few small chips in it but the grey still covers all. // 8

Overall Impression: I play stuff like AC/DC, Metallica, Billy Talent, Megadeth, Led Zeppelin and whatever else catches my ear at the moment, I'm constantly learning new songs, and this guitar pretty much covers every kind of tone I want. I've been playing a year and 15 days now and I don't regret buying this beauty even though it was the first electric guitar I ever touched. It has quite a cool unique yet classy look, like someone took a Les Paul smacked it around until it looked good (just kidding). It's overall a comfortable easy to use instrument. I'd drop kick anyone Who tries to lay a finger on it without my permission, much steal less it. I've tried other guitars like a SG and a Shecter and it only made me more satisfied with what I already had. In the future I plan on getting a more shredtastic superstrat guitar with a tremelo bridge and easier neck access. // 8

More Fernandes reviews rating category latest review
+ Ravelle Deluxe 8.6 Electric Guitars 03/05/2014