V-Hawk Elite Review

manufacturer: Fernandes date: 07/01/2011 category: Electric Guitars
Fernandes: V-Hawk Elite
I'm in love with this guitar and my favorite feature is the sustainer. I play mostly rock and metal and that is the reason this guitar is made.
 8.7
 7.3
review (1) pictures (3) 47 comments vote for this gear:
V-Hawk Elite Reviewed by: Jochen81, on july 01, 2011

Price paid: € 1599

Purchased from: Van Gorp, Roosendaal, The Netherlands

Features: - Made in Japan - Hawk Elite - Body: Mahogany - Neck: Mahogany, Set Neck Through - Fingerboard: Rosewood, 25 1/2" Scale, - 24 Jumbo Frets, 14" Radius, Abalone Off-Set Dot Inlays - Nut: Gotoh Locking 1 5/8" - Tuning Gears: Gotoh Die Cast - Bridge: Gotoh Floyd Rose Licensed Tremolo - Features: Fernandes SUSTAINER SYSTEM - Controls: 3-Way Toggle Switch, SUSTAINER ON/OFF & Mode Switches, 1 Volume - Pickups: Neck: SUSTAINER, Bridge: EMG-81 - Colors: Chameleon Purple, Chameleon Green // 10

Sound: I play mostly modern-rock and metal with this guitar and I'm sure this guitar is made for it. The amp I'm using is a 60 watts Engl Fireball with a 4x12 Mesa Recto cab. I'm getting my effects from a Boss ME-70. It's less noisy as I aspect because there is little space between the pickups and the strings and I play in lower tunings like Drop D. In a matter of fact, I have allmost none unwanted sounds even if I'm close to my loud amp. The EMG 81 sounds realy great with the mahagony body and the Fernandes FSK-101 sustainer brings the V-Hawk realy to life. You can make this baby cream like hell with the sustainer set on harmonic mode. It's like controlled feedback and the sustainer acts also as a pickup with a nice crunchy sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on the V-Hawk is very low, the pickups are very close to the strings and the guitar still act extremely well. Even when I tuned it to a drop D. The chameleon finish is awesome, because te color changes. I've bought the chameleon green finish and it turns from green to Orange and from gold to red. Because of the shape, this guitar playes even well on your lap when sitting down. The only flaw was the black paint on the control switches. I think that with the inspection a little paint came of the edges. It also gives the guitar charmes that it is almost perfect. This does not have any negative influence on the playability or the sound, so I'll still rate 10 points for action, fit & finish. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is not only good for the show aspect of live playing, but it's also a real competition for a Jackson RR or a ESP Alexi. The advantage of the V-Hawk Elite is the sustainer. On the strap the headstock tillts slightly down, but it's no problem for me. The next upcomming gig I will surely play my new Fernandes and use my Jackson DKMG as a backup guitar, because you just simply can't change strings during a gig if you're playing a Floyd Rose type tremolo. I've got this guitar this week so I can't make an onest judgement about reliability and durability, but I'm sure I can trust on this hawk for 100%. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly rock and metal and that is the reason this guitar is made. A good match? Yes! I've owned guitars for almost my entire life, but I'm playing for 2 1/2 years in a band. My other electric guitars are: Fender Stratocaster, Epiphone Les Paul Zack Wylde Buzzsaw, PRS SE 22 trem and a Jackson DKMG with EMG 81 and EMG 85 pickups. The V-Hawk comes with a very large case, wich is even bigger than a bassguitar case. I'm in love with this guitar and my favorite feature is the sustainer. Because of this feature I've chosen this guitar above a Jackson RR24 and a ESP Alexi wich I was planning to buy. That's also why the Fernandes offers even more than I wish. // 10

More Fernandes reviews rating category latest review
+ Ravelle Deluxe 8.6 Electric Guitars 03/05/2014