AL4042 Review

manufacturer: First Act date: 05/08/2012 category: Electric Guitars
First Act: AL4042
This guitar is part of the 222 series for First Act. Overall, this isn't a bad guitar for someone who wants to start music again, or is a beginner.
 Reliability & Durability: 3.5
 3.7
 3.8
 3.5
reviews (2) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
AL4042 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 08, 2011

Purchased from: Target

Features: This Guitar was originally purchased in 2009, so its about 2-3 years old. It is part of the 222 series for First Act. There are 22 frets, and it is really an awesome neck. that's probably what I like the most on this guitar. The neck is fast, and is really good for fast moving solos or fast power chords. The finish is just a plain black finish, nothing special really. It's kind of modeled after a strat, but only vaguely. The one pickup it has is a little weak, but it gets the job done, and does have a bit of tone range, surprisingly. The only 2 control knobs are the volume and tone, really basic. Tuners are cheap, china made tuners that barley hold a tune. The package included a 10? watt amp and a strap, and a couple picks. And a REALLY cheap guitar cable. // 7

Sound: I mostly play Country (Lady Antebellum, Brad Paisley, Keith Urban, etc), and this suits this moderately well. It works really well for classic rock or Metal, but that's not usually what I play. I run it through a Line 6, 30 watt Spider 3 amp. This guitar sounds 100x better than the First Act amp it came with. That thing was junk. That being said, it still comes no where near the sound of an Epiphone Wilshire, or such. It still sounds like a Target guitar. It May be comparable with a Squier Bullet Strat sound-wise, but its not all that great. The single Humbucker that it has is pretty weak, but does deliver a good range of tones, for the price, that is. It has a bright sound, so distortion is ok, but clean, it is a country type guitar. The variety isn't all that great, you really just need to play it clean. It's weak, but it gets the job done. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The set up was surprisingly pretty good from the factory, it just needed some adjustments. The action was a little too high for my preference, but that's just me. The only thing is after having it for about a year, the high e string has started to get lower than the rest of the strings, and I haven't adjusted that yet. The guitar really didn't contain flaws, except the previous owner dropping it and banging against tables. The only other thing is that the Tone knob is rubbing against the guitar, and its wrecking the finish. Other tan that it's pretty well set up from the factory. Of course, that was just mine. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could be dropped from 3 stories and still survive. Only half joking. This thing is really solid. If your looking for a really solid first guitar, this is it. This thing has been banged around so many times, and been dropped a few too, even on concrete. It has won every time. Of course, the only reason it fell was because 1. The strap is cheap, and 2. So are the buttons to hold it onto the guitar. The hard ware seems Ok, but it really isn't all that great, so it should be replaced. The finish, as I said before, is just a black finish. It almost seems just slapped on with a paint brush. Its Ok, but definitely not something that makes =me really want to get the guitar, like a lot the Les Pauls. Those finishes are really amazing. The finish seems really cheap, and either could wear off, or even come off when dropped (Lets face it, you will drop this guitar, especially if your a beginner). Its built really solid, but I would never use this in a gig. It just doesn't have the strength to keep up. I'll give it a 5 just for the finish. Everything else is pretty solid. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, this isn't a bad guitar for someone who wants to start music again, or is a beginner. Although, it really can't be compared with my other guitar, which are an Ibanez Artcore AG75, and an Epiphone EJ 200. If this Guitar was stolen, I'd probably not go and buy it again, just because of the sound quality, and even the overall quality of this guitar. It is a beginners guitar, and it mostly stops there. The neck, as I said before, is probably the best feature on this guitar, just because it's so fast. that's about it. Really, I would recommend saving the few extra bucks and getting an Epiphone Les Paul 100. This guitar is just another guitar that could easily be passed up, but then again, there are the needles in the haystack. // 7

AL4042 Reviewed by: MAGGOTCFH, on may 08, 2012

Purchased from: Freind

Features: This guitar has a black finish with a white pickguard. It was made in China in 2009. I bought it at a yard sell to give to my friend who wanted to play guitar but changed his mind. So I ended up having to keep it. (Some friend huh? But this guitar wouldn't have helped him anyway). This guitar had a very bad action it was very high and the pickups were very buzzy an it was overall horrible coming out of my Marshall Stack. The controls barely worked because the tone knob was stuck all the way down. I tuned it to standard and it came out of tune in 20 minutes! It came with an amp that has good gain but the treble and the bass on the thing isn't doing the job. // 1

Sound: I play metal and this little guy cannot serve. The guitar does not have different sounds, only one sound because it has one pickup that's very noisy and buzzy. The guitar wiring in the inside wasn't even done in a professional manner. But that's First Act for ya. It sounds horrible through my Marshall Stack and my Line 6s. This guitar is probably gonna go in my garage because its not really a good guitar to play. The sound on this thing will Drive an audience away. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar may sound bad but it has a great strong wood too it. I've dropped real bad once on accident and the neck was still fine. And like I said the action was very high. The guitar is messing fret wire on the 12 fret and 19th fret. The neck was pretty warped so it needed a trust rod turn. But still nothing has changed. The tuning pegs were very loose. The nut was sharp and if you tuned the G string often it would always pop no matter what. This was annoying. The headstock ad a little chip in it but its not that noticeable until your close to the guitar. The strap buttons were secure until the screws got loose and ended up coming off the guitar over time. // 2

Reliability & Durability: I wouldn't play this live not even if I had no backup. The finish is good enough to last but it can easily mess up if not careful. This guitar wouldn't withstand live playing because it buzzes a lot and the thing falls out of tune every 20 minutes. The hardware might last again if taken care of but I doubt that the guitar would survive a gig because it can't even survive a bedroom jam. // 2

Overall Impression: I play metal and classic rock and it does not match at all. My Dean Firecrackle is extremely better than this guitar by all levels. If it were stolen I would thank the person for getting it off my hands. I played this through my Marshall stack with a noise pedal and it still buzzed a lot. If your a beginner I would get an Ibanez GIO or a Squier Bullet Strat (Please don't argue over these choices in comments). // 1

More First Act reviews rating category latest review