Lola CE-120 Review

manufacturer: First Act date: 06/14/2010 category: Electric Guitars
First Act: Lola CE-120
I've done two long concerts on this guitar, and hasn't let me down even once.
 3.4
 6.8
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Lola CE-120 Reviewed by: Comokanu, on june 14, 2010

Purchased from: Reverb Store

Features: Basswood body and neck + Rosewood fretboard; Flat-top single tapered cutaway for higher fret accessibility, gloss black, 8 screw pickguard; 22 Medium sized frets, Dot inlay, one-way truss rod, 3 + 3 tuning heads, pompadour headstock, bolt-on neck with metal plate fixed by four bolts; One passive bridge humbucker with AlNiCo magnets, one volume & one tone knob with chrome dials, tune-o-matic bridge + String-through body tailpiece. // 8

Sound: You get what you pay for. I have a Vox Cambridge 30 Reverb and I play styles from blues all the way to heavy metal, so I needed a versatile guitar. This guitar, despite being a 'rock' guitar had pickups that couldn't cope with high gain. Too much of it and it loses its treble - not good for harmonics at all and I know my DS-1 bears no responsibility for this. As for clean and slightly muddy setting, she handled quite well. The tone knob is outstanding as far as variety of sounds is concerned, and if you lower the tone, you can get that full sound of a neck pickup, which obviously doesn't exist on this Lola. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up pretty well for a low end guitar. The action and neck profiles were great and it felt great playing it. The wood and paint is pretty cheap. One tiny knock will take a good chunk out of the body! As for the stock strings - boy, were they horrible! Rusted up in a couple of weeks, snapped a few months later, sounded horrible all the time. Unfortunately, most of the switches came quite loose, and I had to remove the switches and tighten them up myself! // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've done two long concerts on this guitar, and hasn't let me down even once. Tuning can be unstable on the G string, and strap buttons can be a bit too small for most straps. As for the paint, just don't knock it on something and it should be just fine. But apart from that it's very reliable and the hardware has been looking good as always! No backups needed! // 8

Overall Impression: I expected too much from this guitar, but to be honest it isn't bad. Simple, and easy to play. That is really all you need when it comes to a beginner's first guitar. I've played for 14 months now and it was only recently I got a bit bored of her and she was my first guitar. If it was stolen I would move onto a Gibson LP though. There's just one thing that makes people look away, and that is the ugly pickup cover. I took it off and put gold covers on and looks a lot better now, but if you're not prepared to spend an extra fiver for a better pickup cover then look away! // 5

More First Act reviews rating category latest review