ME300 Review

manufacturer: First Act date: 11/09/2006 category: Electric Guitars
First Act: ME300
Double cutaway electric guitar, familiar classic shape and look, 3 single coil pickups and 5-way switch provide wide range of tones, angled headstock for added clarity and sustain, tremolo bridge, slim-taper neck with rosewood fingerboard.
 Reliability & Durability: 3.4
 Features: 4.6
 3.6
 4.1
reviews (5) 40 comments vote for this gear:
ME300 Reviewed by: Scribbler, on november 14, 2005

Purchased from: Walmart

Features: A 21 fret bolt-on guitar. Strat-look-a-like and Tele-style bridge. One volume knob and one tone knob. A single humbucker pickup and no Switch. Okay for a beginner but bad if you actually want something worthwile. Not only is this guitar excessively poor performance-wise but it can't stay tuned for longer than a week. Surprisingly, the strings provided with the instrument have still not snapped and it has been over two years now! This guitar is played on a regular basis. Comes with a 10-watt portable amp, gig bag, cord, and that's it! No strap and the cord died out on me after a month. // 3

Sound: Pretty lousy since you can either have the tone knob on 10 or 1 or in between if you prefer; with no Switch basically making it sound the same. It sounds bad through a 10-watt portable amp and even through a 30-watt Dinatouch 300 DSP Champion Fender amp, it still sounds like crap. The G string is horribly out of tune at all times and this may be due to poor worksmanship. It is very noisy with distortion on and no matter how hard you palm-mute, the high strings can always be heard. Don't expect to woo anyone with this. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: It was tuned and that's about it. After a week, it wasn't tuned anymore. There is a significant flaw, the third fret is misplaced and slightly hanging over the edge of the neck, therefore the high e string sometimes gets caught behind this fret, not very good at all. The knobs are not loose but the pickups move around. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will probably be able to play live but it will not produce a great sound at all. The hardware will probably not last but the strap buttons are on solid. It isn't really dependable due to its inability to stay in tune and would definately not be used as a backup. // 1

Overall Impression: You basically get what you pay for and my advice to anybody would be to steer clear of this guitar. Get a guitar worth your while because I am sure that this guitar has caused many people to hate playing guitar and even discouraged others. I have been playing for 4+ years now and wish I had tried this guitar out before buying it, althoug it did come in a case, so that was out of the question. No wonder this can't be found in any reliable guitar shop. If this were stolen or lost, I wouldn't really care, good riddance. There is nothing to love and a lot to hate. // 1

ME300 Reviewed by: guitar21@WE, on october 14, 2005

Purchased from: eBay

Features: This 21 fret Strat style guitar has a rosewood neck. It has an ordinary medium glossy black finish. The bridge is Tele-style and it comes with the knob set up of your ordinary Stratocaster (5 way-sel., volume, 2 tones etc). It has a humbucker pickup for the bridge, and two regular strat-style pickups for the mid and the neck. This guitar is a decently looking guitar. It came complete with a 10 watt practice amp, strings, chord, guitar book and all the Starter Kit goodies. // 9

Sound: This guitar suits my music style well (classic rock to modern rock and anythign in between) I use a Peavey 30 watt amp and a MD-2 Dist. pedal. This guitar only gets really noisy on the bridge pickup. The variety of this guitar is not as good as an average guitar, but I did only pay 50 dollars for it, so I'm not complaining, a guitar is a guitar when you are starting out. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was very well set-up at the factory, I barely even had to tune it when I got it outta the box. The guitar did not contain any flaws that I can catch. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar already has few chips in the paint, I'm dissapointed, because the finish chips right off and breaks in pieces, it doesnt take chunks, it cracks it good. I think that eventualy it will wear down becasue of the price I paid for it, but it has held up for the past 6 months pretty well. // 6

Overall Impression: I play just about anything that I can get my hands on so I would have to say classic rock. This guitar I bought only to get the amp, and it is currently a display model hanging up to show off. If this was stolen or lost, or broken I would not consider getting a new one. I would save my money up for something more useful. But if you are looking to try guitar out, and give up easily, and you don't want to spend a lot of money, this package would be the one that you should want to get. // 8

ME300 Reviewed by: ooblah, on march 14, 2006

Features: This guitar is the kind of guitar you buy for someone who isn't sure whether or not they want to start playing guitar or not. You got your basic volume and tone, along with the neck Switch thing, but thats it. Everything else on it looks generic, I don't think anyone could tell you what brand of parts on there. It is very limited overall; 21 frets, not a very fast moving fret board, just a good old Walmart guitar. // 6

Sound: I found this tone to be some of the dryest I have ever heard. It can't really handle being cranked through an amp too loud because it feeds back and isn't made for anything huge. It isn't bad if you have a decent amp and keep it at a reasonable volume, but you can't get too much versatality out of it such as going from metal to blues or something. It sounds just like what it is, one of the cheapest guitars you can buy. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Now I am not just ranking down on this guitar because it is First Act, but when I looked at the wireing inside I couldn't help but laugh. The wireing looked like a disaster, and seemed like they were doing the sawdering as if it was in the middle of an earthquake. The action was normal though, and the pick ups were set just fine. Another flaw was that for some reason the higher frets on the high string buzz horribly because of a messed up fret. Other than that it looked pretty normal. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I could never trust this guitar to be honest, this thing is meant to practice with by yourself but not for a reliable guitar during a gig. The hardware and overall put together just doesn't seem like it would last very long when you compare it to more expensive guitars. I wouldn't try to see if it can withstand damage because I would be afraid of the poor thing snapping. // 6

Overall Impression: This was a huge mistake on my part buying it from a friend who didnt want it anymore. It doesnt fit my musical style at all, whether it be Steve Vai, Stevie Ray Vaughn, or Helloween, it just can't accomplish a tone that can be taken seriously. I have been playing for about 4 years and this guitar I just use to take apart and put back together to learn from. However, besides all my complaining, this is an extremely cheap guitar, so don't ask 700$ worth of tone to come out of it. It is made to be what it is, a cheap guitar to give to your kid who "kind of" wants to start playing. However if your not careful they are going to pick it up and not want to ever play again! No, no I kid, but overall I say its not the best guitar, but it's also one of the cheapest. // 7

ME300 Reviewed by: guard50, on november 09, 2006

Purchased from: Walmart

Features: 21 fret bolt on neck. I don't know what kind of wood it's made out of or where it's from, but it's a piece of junk. Mines got a double cut away body done in a glossy black color. I don't know exactly what the bridge is, but it's also a piece of junk. First there are screws in it that are constantly getting stripped and lowering th eaction to an unplayable level, and the bridge just also makes it hard to PM. I don't know if I just have bad technique, but I borrowed my friends Ibanez and I could PM just fine. My guitar came with a decent strap (falls off often) and a crappy cable that has now stopped working. // 2

Sound: I run mine through a Fender 25 Watt amp with reverb and a Boss D-1 Distortion pedal. It comes with a small and cheap 10 watt amp w/overdrive that really doesnt't do to much. About a year after purchase the amp stopped working all together. I play mostly rock and metal and the guitar was decent sounding for it. It was noisy when you Switch to the neck pickup, but it gives off a warm and bright tone, it's decent to play the intro to Sweet Child O' Mine, or making somewhat acustic sounds such as the intro to Fade to Black. My guitar came with two single coils and a humbucker. The humbucker is usually what I play on or I will use the neck. I usually don't use the middle pickup. The guitar comes with a volume and two tone knobs, which really don't affect anything. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is not a great one by any means, but there wasn't to much that was wrong with it right out of the box besides just being extremly out of tune. I would recomend putting on new strings almost immediatly though. The finish isnt great and picks up small scratches and smudges easy, and the pick guard is next to impossible to get to look nice. The action was a little high out of the box, but nothing that made me not want to learn to play. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I would never even think of playing this guitar at a gig unless my guitars necks broke off or something catastrophic like that happened. It would probally be worth re-stringed a guitar with a floyd rose than play this Live. The strap buttons actually popped off because of bad screws put in, so I would also recomend replacing the buttons all together with bigger screws incase the holes get stripped, and if you want to use the strap it comes with get strap locks because the strap easily comes off. The jack you put the chord in has recently become very lose and the chord it came with wont even stay in any more. Besides the smudges and small scratches, the finish has held up decent over almost 2 years of playing. // 1

Overall Impression: Overall if you want to get a starter guitar, only get this if the kid is young, or if you really don't think they'll stick with the instrument. Squier, Ibanez, BC Rich, and Epiphone all put out way better starter packs, but they are a bit more expensives. I've had the guitar for 2 years and it's still the only guitar I own besides my cheap yard sale acustic. If this guitar was lost or stolen I think I would thank the person and go buy something better. The only thing I love about this guitar is it plays music and I tought myself to play on it. The guitar was a surprise Christmas gift so there wasn't much I could ask anyone or compare it to but I recomend buying a Squire or Epiphone starter pack. // 2

ME300 Reviewed by: johnnyblack, on june 13, 2006

Purchased from: wal-mart

Features: Well then I got this a year ago just something cheap to play on and smash around so my good guitar would be well still good. This is a 2005 or 2004 model, it's mostly a Fender Strat rip off same headstock, 21 frets, same setup but only with bad gear. The tuners are only good for scrap metal if thay are even metal, the pickups are very poor lots of buzzing. And the thing just falls apart without a reason. // 3

Sound: I play a wide range of styles and this cannot play eny of them metal forget it, punk's alright on it but only because of the cheap sound, classic rock no way man, rock no no amego, only a real bad cheap sound. And I play this on a Vox tube amp which plays with a charm on enything else. This try's to do what Strat does with three pickup deal neck, middle, and brige all are bad. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: This came un tuned the action was good the pickup were at a good setting too. Everything was loose after a month or two the finsh was good though. The brige saddle's were a little low but a quick fix the nut was a little loose to. // 3

Reliability & Durability: If you want to go live with this forget it it would junk out into one song. The hardware is cheap what can I say not much time before that's gone. This make's a good smash up guitar just to mess around on that's really it. // 3

Overall Impression: I have seen some bad guitar's but this is worse if you want a good guitar buy the one that this try's to look like a Fender Strat that my veiw of it. // 1

More First Act reviews rating category latest review