ME301 Review

manufacturer: First Act date: 05/05/2014 category: Electric Guitars
First Act: ME301
Three single coil pickups with crisp and clean "vintage" sound. Double cutaway solid poplar body for bright and brilliant tones, maple neck with rosewood fingerboard for a solid feel and warm tones. Smooth action tremolo bridge for string bends and "dive bomb" effects.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.3
 4.2
reviews (4) pictures (1) 41 comments vote for this gear:
ME301 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 02, 2008

Purchased from: Wal-Mart

Features: This is a fairly new guitar. Mine was made in 2005, and I have been playing it since. It has a nice rosewood fretboard and a maple neck. I'm not sure of the body, but I think mine is something along the lines of alder. It has a glossy black finish that smudges easily, and that is a downside to it. But the Strat style body is comfortable and I could play it all day long. The three Vintage pickups are nothing special, but they get the job done if you play some rock or if you like to play any oldies or stuff like that. The five way Switch lets you specify your tone nicely though, and I tend to ust it a lot. The trem bridge is a little stiff and hard to wammy on but what can you expect from a 150 dollar guitar? 2 tone knobs and a volume give you pretty much all you need and the crome tuners are nice too. Although they wern't locking tuners like I would have liked them to be. It only came with 2 allen wrenches, one to adjust the action, and one to adjust the truss rod. Overall, a great value for its money. // 8

Sound: Considering all the music styles that I play, which is pretty much everything, this lil' coc sucker gets the job done. It's not glamerous and it's not perfect for any specific tone, short of soft rock and a little classic rock, but hey what more could you ask for in a cheap guitar? Right now I am playing it through a Silvertone practice amp, but I've played it through my friend's Vox 30 watt and it sounds pretty good. If you know what you are doing, you can make this guitar sing with a semi Vintage tone, but most beginners don't, and this is what it is, a beginner's guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I think that the guitar was set up at the factory very well. The pickups were adjusted nicely, no flaws with the guitar at all. The only thing I have changed so far is the action. The action was set pretty high from the factory and I adjusted it myself. It wasn't that hard, it just took some time to do it to my preferances. It came with the allen wrench to do it with, as well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The ME-301 is a good guitar, although I wouldn't recommend playing Live with it. It's a practice guitar, that's it. While you could play Live with it, there are better choices to play with out there. But, this guitar is very solidly built, I'm very surpurised at it. The hardware is pretty good, except the screws that hold the tuners to the head aren't driven in far enough into the wood, so the tuners are a bit loose when I replace the strings. The strap buttons are solid as rocks on this guitar. I use them all the time and they haven't so much as wiggled. For example, I had owned this guitar for about a year, and my friend bought a Fender Strat. A few months later while we were playing together, his back strap button started coming really loose, and a few weeks later it just came out. He used a strap just as much as I did and mine held strong is still is today. I've dropped it quite a few times, because I'm clumsy, and as a result, there are a few noticable scratches because of the glossy black finish this guitar has. But don't get me wrong, the finish is pretty darn good for what it's worth. It hasn't worn out yet. // 9

Overall Impression: For someone like me Who plays just about everyting, this guitar is suitable for me. It's no American Strat or Les Paul, but it's super cheap. I've been playing for just under four years and I have had this one for three, and I have gotten to know it pretty well. For the money I paid, it is a great guitar, I can't stress that enough. If it were stolen or lost then I probably would just save for a better guitar because at this point in my personal career it isn't worth getting another one. But if you are a beginner, then this is a pretty good guitar for you. Check it out! // 9

ME301 Reviewed by: black diamond7, on november 05, 2007

Features: This guitar was made in 2005 and I think it was made in the U.S. The guitar has 21 frets. The neck is thin. It has a solid-top. The body and neck woods is made of mahogany wood. The finish is satin, I think. The body style is a double-cutaway. I don't know what the bridge style is, it's definitely not Tune-O-Matic. It has passive electronics. The controls are volume, two tone knobs, and a five-way selector. The pickup configuration is normal and the model of the pickups are First Act. The tuners are non-locking. This didn't come with any other accesories. // 1

Sound: This doesn't suit my rock and roll style. I have a First Act amp. It is very noisy when the tone is all on 1. This guitar can make a sucky rock sound and an average clean tone and the sound of it drives me crazy. When I have it on distortion it sounds really crappy. That isn't much variety. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set-up pretty nicely. The pickups are pretty well adjusted. The bookmatched top was properly built and so was the routed bridge. It didn't come with any flaws, but when I started using it the strings stretched a lot. The action was built pretty good. // 5

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will not withstand Live playing because, the strings stretch too much. Whenever I fingertapped the strings the other night, the string broke. The hardware seems like it would last. The strap buttons are solid. I cannot depend on this guitar at all. It's that bad I would not use it on a gig without a backup. The finish wears off with lots of playing. // 1

Overall Impression: I play hard rock. This is not a good match. I have been playing guitar for about 3-4 years. I have a First Act amp, and a Levi strap. Yes, I wish I could have asked for a Washburn or something like that, but I didn't know that much about guitars when I got it. If it was stolen or lost I wouldn't care at all. I would definitley buy something else. I love nothing about this guitar. It's a beginner guitar. I hate the noise it makes. My favorite feature is the tone knobs. I compared to a Washburn N-2 and it blew my old guitar out of the water. I chose this one because I was a beginner. I wish this guitar wouldn't go out of tune and I wish it had a killswitch. // 1

ME301 Reviewed by: XIRedRibbonsIX, on june 09, 2008

Purchased from: wal mart

Features: I have no prejudice against First Act because of their name (like most do) and this may not be suitible for anyone other than a beginner, but don't just comment to say it sucks, beause it's actually and alright begginer guitar. I give it a 5 over all, because that's what it is. average. I've played much worse first acts. Made in 2005, 21 frets, full sized guitar with a wammy equipped bridge, and made out of poplar wood. Comes with the exact same pickup configuration as a Standard Strat, although they are very crappypickups(almost no difference in sound). It has a Strat style body, a 5 way pickup Switch, plain laquer finish(very stcratchable, not qualltity laquer) some pretty annoying tuners that only stay in tune after they are well broken in, and a c shaped neck, which to an adult wouldn't be thick, but by no means thin, but to a child, it would be like a bat, and it should be thin because it was meant for children to learn on. rosewood finger board. // 7

Sound: I have various different pedals, and this is the only way to get it's sound away from the below par clean tones and the very, very muddy distorted tone with out them. A begginer guitar should sound good enough so they don't think they are the ones causing the below medioker tone. The pickups also have almost no change in sound. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: this is probably the worst part. to get it playable, I had to adjust almost everything, which shouldn't be the case for a beginner. Straight out of the box I had to make major truss rod adjustments. Action bit my hand, tuners horrible. The finnish is pretty scratchable too. // 2

Reliability & Durability: this is pretty average. I would definatlly not play a gig on it. although I am suprised it hasn't broken yet. I am very clumsy and have dropped it at least 5 times. Pretty durable I guess. Not so reliable. Strap buttons are pretty solid. Don't play a gig on this, the finnish is as I said before, sensitive. // 5

Overall Impression: a very average starter guitar, and below what a starter should be. if it were stolen, and I wanted a guitar just as cheap, I would get the new Squier Bullet Strat, for the same price. if you want a great starter or something cheap to modify and slam on, get a Squier Bullet. they sound great, and are even beter if modifyed. And for those Who say you can't play anything heavy on a Fender\Squier, Slipknot used to use teles and so did wintersun. // 5

ME301 Reviewed by: css5458019, on may 05, 2014

Purchased from: Guitar store down the street

Features: This incredible guitar was made in China where they handcrafted it out of the highest grade tone woods. It has 3 pickups, all of them white and all of them awesome. It has a great black finish that shows off all of its awesome curves. It has a whammy bar and some knobs below it that change what it sounds like which is a cool feature. And this switch that makes the guitar go through various squealing noises. That is another excellent feature. It came with a whammy bar and some plastic things that I throw away cause im not sure what they did. All in all an excellent value for what I paid. // 10

Sound: I love the sound of this guitar and it fits my style of playing well. I play heavy metal and deathcore mixed with some djent just for good measure. The pickups have the most massive heavy sound through my MG30 Marshall amp. Why wouldn't it, it is the best amp for metal ever or at least that is what the guy at the music store told me when I bought it for a cool 300 bills. I wanted a Line 6 Spider III but he told me that that wasn't metal enough and that all the cool metal guys play Marshall so I said, "That's what I am so give me THAT ONE!!!" But I will save my review for my awesome MG30 for later now back to the guitar. Like I was saying this guitar sounds awesome especially when I drop my tuning down to b and let it wail. I can play everything from Metallica to Slayer to Korn to Slipknot and even some old classics like Poison. Cause talking about talking dirty to me this guitar does it. I can just go crazy on the whammy bar and it just takes it and loves it except it seems to not sound the same after I do this but who cares. That's the way I like to roll. And it seems like sometimes all I get is this extremely loud squealing sound but after turning one of those knobs below the whammy thing it goes away till I turn it back up again. But who cares, I look cool and that's what matters to the ladies am I right? // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set to rock out of the factory. It takes the word metal to a whole new level. I get these totally metal sounding buzzes all over the neck no matter where I play it. Which is totally metal. Also because of those pieces of metal sticking out of the neck I have had to have 25 stitches. I took it back to the shop I bought it at and they told me that all guitars are made this way and that it is fine. Well my mom told me when I bought it that to get to super stardom I may have to earn it. I can tell you right now I have paid my dues. These things sticking out of the neck are also rusty so I have had to have numerous shots but that is a small price to pay for metal super stardom. When strung up with 8's and dropped down to B you can really play some fast searing heavy breakdowns. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I know this guitar can take live playing. I played it already at 2 live gigs. I played my friends b-day party where everyone commented on how interesting it sounded. I overheard someone say something about whining dogs and train wrecks which sounds pretty metal to me. The hardware will last through a nuclear war. And the guitar buttons have only come off 25 times in the last 10 days! I think I am at fault for a few of those times though. Been practicing my guitar slinging behind the back trick that all the cool metal guys do like CC Deville. The finish still looks brand new even after going completely through the wall a few times. Again my guitar slinging might have something to do with that. // 10

Overall Impression: To sum things up, this guitar is the ultimate in metal playing mania. The three awesome pickups, fine tone woods, and the combined massive power of the almighty MG30 is greatest combo in metal history. I have been playing guitar for 1 month and also along with my MG30 I own a Metal Muff (totally metal). If it were stolen, I would hunt down the thief and get my guitar back then force him to listen to some of that horrible music that old people listen to like The Rolling Stones. Cause who wants to listen to that when you can blast some Molten Hot Metal. I love everything about this fine instrument and would change nothing. I didn't compare this to other guitars cause It was black and shiny and looked cool. This guitar has it all, why would you ask for anything else it's totally suited for me and my honed metal skills. // 10

More First Act reviews rating category latest review