ME501 Review

manufacturer: First Act date: 01/12/2012 category: Electric Guitars
First Act: ME501
Custom body shape, designed in First Act's Studio for Artists, single cutaway solid basswood body for rich and warm sound. Two Alnico magnet "vintage-style" covered humbucking pickups with crisp "vintage" sound and warm "rock" distortion. Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard for a solid feel and warm tones.
 6.9
 9.4
 4.4
reviews (2) pictures (3) 91 comments vote for this gear:
ME501 Reviewed by: ministerpumbaa, on september 15, 2006

Purchased from: wal mart

Features: I got a 2004 model. Bolt-on, 3 peice neck. 3 & 3 headstock. It has 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, maple neck. Dot inlays, with markers on the top side of the neck. it's a solid body guitar. Not sure of the wood though. It has a red fade finish with a cream colored binding on the body and on the fingerboard. Has a cream colored pickguard, same colored pickup seats. The shape is like a modified Telecaster, but still looks really original. Chrome hardware. String-thru body bridge with adjustable heighth/length saddles. Has bridge and neck Humbuckers. Two volume knobs. One tone knob. 3-way selector switch. Excelent covered tuner keys. It did not come with anything except an extra B and high E string, an allen wrench to adjust the truss rod and a beginners book. // 10

Sound: I play a lot of different styles. From country to rock to classic rock, heavy metal, death metal, a little funk, punk, ska, reggae and everything in between. And this guitar keeps up! I actually use it thru a First Act 15 watt amp. The amp sounded really bad until I replaced the generic speaker with an alpine. Now it screams! I also use it thru a DigiTech RP100 pedal. The guitar has a sustain of about 5.5 seconds, not bad. It is very crisp all the way up the fretboard. No buzzing of any kind. The guitar can produce a varied sounds, depending on the pick up selection. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have been friends with a guitar tech for while. I take all my guitars to him. He did not even have to touch this guitar. the action is fast, the pickups were in the right spot. The neck is straight. No flaws, even after 2 years of abuse! All the hardware is tight. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I use this guitar constantly! practice, gigs, wherever. It has held up very good so far. I have broken 1 high e string, because I bent the shit out of it. I have to tune it after about 20 hours of playing, I replace the strings about every 100-120 hours of playing. The finish has normal dings in it, but I am kind of hard on it. No real flaws as of yet. But give me time! // 10

Overall Impression: I play all sorts of different music and this guitar is awesome. I've been playing for about 10 years. I have owned a high end Fender and Washburn, an Epiphone G, a Holiday, a Vintage Teisco, a Synsonic and a Squire (Fender knock-offs). I sold them (all except the Teisco) for some quick cash and stopped playing for about 2 and a half years. I bought this, after testing a couple other cheap guitars (including a Washburn, an ESP, and a few others) just to get my chops back to speed before I spent any real money. I was not expecting too much from this guitar, but I am very impressed with it. I would say it sounds better then the high end Wasburn and the Epiphone that I used to own. I currently own the ME501, a First Act accoustic (says Mark II on it for some reason, though), that I am also very impressed with, and the Teisco. Also have a DigiTech RP100 effect pedal, and the vamped up First Act amp If this guitar was stolen I would not be too upset just because of the price because. I am about to buy another high end guitar and I will go to First Act. I have played a couple and they sound really good. There I s actually a lot going on with First Act. I have read about quite a few pro studio guitarist starting to use them. Unlike other cheaper first acts, this guitar is well worth the money! // 10

ME501 Reviewed by: John.Garcia33, on january 12, 2012

Purchased from: Local Craigslist.

Features: The ME501 is a basswood Les Paul Copy with a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. It has a fixed bridge with a brass string retainer in the body. It has Alnico PAF style humbuckers with two volumes and a master tone knob and Les Paul style 3 way toggle switch. // 8

Sound: The sound from this guitar is amazing for the price. I play blues and hard rock. I run this through my Peavey Classic 30 and can get very high gain from the bridge pickup. The neck pick up is very smooth but can get a little muddy on the bassy strings. It has a very full warm sound. The alnico pickups are great especially at this price range. Depending on the amp this guitar can pretty much do it all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have bought this guitar twice, both used so I don't know how it came set up. Probably poorly since it is from department stores. I will say though that it is very easy two adjust and holds tune fairly well, though it could use some tuners with a better ratio. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very solid and I have jammed with it many a time. Its held up. The one problem seems to be the strap buttons. On both of the ME501's I've had they were very loose. I wouldn't gig this without a backup but then again I'd never gig any guitar without one. The finish on this guitar is beautiful and rock solid. // 8

Overall Impression: I play blues and rock and this does both very well. I bought this as my first electric and traded it for an Ibanez GRX-20. Big Mistake. Now I own it again and I have to say that it is about even with my two MIM Fenders in quality. If it were stolen I'd definitely buy another. Hell, I have bought another after I "lost" the first one. I love the finish, especially the cream binding and the alnico pickups are nice. Its nice to have a cheap unique guitar that plays well and sounds excellent. // 10

More First Act reviews rating category latest review