ME502 Review

3.2
reviews (2) pictures (1) 26 comments vote for this gear:
ME502 Reviewed by: Thea70, on october 07, 2011

Purchased from: Flea market

Features: My guitar was made about 2007 or 2008 probably made overseas. 22 Frets, 25.5 inch scale. 3 piece Maple neck, rosewood fingerboard. Poplar body. Love the original body "tele"- esque shape that reminds me of the 60's for some reason. Black finish, hard tail Strat bridge. Single humbucker and 1volume and 1 tone knob. Decent tuners, no problems. Came with nothing on it. I bought it from a flea market where the guy had let it get splashed with mud, all the strings rusted off, and was covered in dents and scratches. Once everything was cleaned and put on, everything worked and nothing has caused me any problems. // 10

Sound: I play mostly 60's, 70's music and this guitar has everything I've wanted. Good highs, good lows, neither end too heavy. Beautiful clean tones but does not distort well. Very bright sounds. I've used this guitar from everything from classical to lead solos however heavier distorted solos turn into mud. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I barely had to move the action, it was almost perfect assuming it wasn't moved before me. Pickup spot on. Black paint is black, good enough for me. Guitar feels great in my hands. Back of the neck is a bit rough sometimes when needing to go to opposite ends quickly, it can feel a bit slow. // 9

Reliability & Durability: After seeing what happened to this guitar before me, I'm surprised it makes a sound. Considering the headstock needed re-glued, it's holding up great. Nothing has caused me a problem. Great tuning, very reliable. I would move the strap button on top so my strap is held on more securely. Finish looks like it will last me a while. This is my backup to my Epi Dot with Seymour Duncans but my 502 has way brighter clean sounds than my Epi. // 9

Overall Impression: I was surprised by this guitar. It opened my eyes to First Act as a good guitar maker, and makes me wonder who else is hiding out there. If anything, this has taught me not to judge a guitar by the price you pay for it, new or used. This guitar can cake my daily abuse and still be in tune at the end of my set. I love it's chimey clean tones. The distorted sound is not good at all coming through my Peavey Rage 158. If I lost this guitar I would probably look at other First Act guitars to replace it and expand what it can do sound wise. Compared to other guitars, this one has a great clean sounds that really remind me of The Beatles. I wish it had was another pickup, more secure strap button, and better stock wiring and pots. Overall, I have been blown away by a guitar I would have regarded as garbage unless I actually tried it out instead of judging it by the price manufacturers want. // 9

ME502 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2012

Features: Features, well, First Act is a Boston (American made) company, I believe they make guitars and drums and. Maybe more stuff, but... This is what I'd say is a beginner non-metal guitar. I use it through two different amplifiers with a DigiTech Death Metal pedal, and this guitar cannot keep up with it. If you'd fancy playing some blues though, it sounds very wonderfully in that sense. // 5

Sound: The guitar, like the above says, is most certainly not made for metal.. It doesn't sound metally, you could say. And in my opinion, looks sort of bluesy or classic rock. Telecastery, you know... It can make sounds from Muddy Waters, all the way down to "I'm A King Bee" by The Rolling Stones, which it sounds very similar too when tuned correctly. With a cheap practice amp, it sounds okay.. With a big ol Vintage Crate amp, it sounds okay. 6/10. This is not a guitar for playing metal music, though there are quite a few pros that play First Acts. The Underoath guy, System Of A Down. You know. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar is very well made, though I haven't dropped it or done some rockstar smashes to it, it feels pretty solid, its also VERY light, at least compared to an ol ibanez. No flaws and the knobs seem to be some sort of aluminum metal mix, I'd bet they won't get rusty for a long time. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Welllll, I can tell the strings have been changed before, so they probably weren't made to last..but what strings are? I'd bet though that this guitar'll be around til' the world ends... As long as the knobs don't start coming off you know, and then somebody garbages it... I would most definitely trust this guitar onstage if I were doing some Rolling Stones covers or wanting to bring back the 70s... The 80s era is the era that really needs to come back. The knobs seem not very strong. // 8

Overall Impression: If this thing were lost or stolen, there is no way I'd buy another one unless of course, it would cost 5$ like the other reviewer paid... This guitar is not for thrashing, only for learning, practicing or showing The Rolling Stones some respect. I wish for 120$ it sounded better, but you know.. Beggars can't always get what they want. If the price is cheap enough and you're desperate enough, get this.. Its worth it you know, but not if you have other choices... Rock on, everybody! // 7

More First Act reviews rating category latest review