ME505 Review

4.6
reviews (2) 24 comments vote for this gear:
ME505 Reviewed by: TehLukeh, on may 08, 2007

Purchased from: Walmart

Features: I bought this guitar at Walmart for $150. It's a 21 fret, Standard sized guitar with a Telecaster body. It is made out of plywood and has one pickup, a volume, and a tone knob. I got two useless strings that broke when I tried to put them in the guitar, two tools, and a tips and tricks CD with this guitar. // 2

Sound: The guitar does not have much quality to its sound. It doesn't do well for any genre. I play a lot of metal and some rock with it. I used to play it on a terrible $10 First Act amp. Between the two, the sound wasn't worth plugging in for. Now I play it on my Fender Frontman 15G amp. It sounds a bit better on it but nothing like a Fender or even a Squier. The best style to play with this guitar would probably be punk. The only reason I can really see for that is it manages to play power chords decently. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything seemed to be put together decently on the guitar. The G string tuning peg is very loose and the string loses its tune in just a few minutes. The guitar is made out of plywood but what do you expect from First Act? Also, the tone knob sticks. The hardware was also a little rusty when I got it. // 2

Reliability & Durability: The output on the guitar broke after about five months of playing. It really isn't worth repairing so I just deal with it. The hardware is the cheapest they could produce. I recently borrowed a Strat from my friend to play and I deeply regret not buying the Strat Pack instead of this monstrosity. The finish on the fretboard is starting to wear off as well. The strap buttons are very strong and made out of steel, a definite plus from this guitar. I would not count on this guitar at a gig even as a backup. It is just too unreliable and the sound is weak. // 2

Overall Impression: I bought this guitar becasue it was my first. I bought it from Wal-Mart so there really wasn't much of a selection. I wish I had shopped around a little bit and maybe looked at some of the other entry level guitars before buying this one. If it was stolen I wouldn't care all that much. I would buy something a bit better like a Squier or an Epiphone. I do like the colors of this guitar (military green and black) but color is the least important feature. I've compared this to a Squier Strat and the Strat blows it away. I also with this guitar had come with an amplifier or something making it worth the $150 price tag. // 3

ME505 Reviewed by: kylerguitarist, on october 19, 2009

Features: It is also known as the Moderator. It has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard on a maple neck, it feels good and is easy to play on. I'm not sure what wood it's made out of, but it is very light. It is a single cutaway guitar, it almost looks like a tele, but it has a different bridge. It has one very great sounding humbucker pickup, and I love it. It has one tone and one volume knob, but sadly it doesn't come with a tremolo system, but still, I love it. It's a really great beginner guitar. The only thing I lost on my trade from the Squier Strat is the tremolo system. The only thing is that I dropped it once because of a very cheap guitar strap, and the finish does get chipped up pretty easy, but still I'll give this a 10. // 10

Sound: It's kinda metal, rock, a little bit of everything, it has a great clean sound, and when i Switch to full distortion, it sounds unbelievable. It can sound country, rock, metal, and very death metal, in the right tuning. Overall great sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was really high, but I adjusted that, so no problem. The pickup was in adjusted perfectly, but I decided to raise it a little bit more for some extra output, but either way, I liked it. It is a flawless guitar as far as I know, it sounds great, the only problem is that one of the tuning key was a little bit loose, but really no problem. The control knobs were put on really tight, so they squeak when I turn the volume knob up, but not a big issue at all. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I've never had a Live gig, but I think it would be able to last through it. The hardware seems great so I have a good feeling that it will last. The strap buttons are on good, the only reason I dropped it is because of a cheap strap. I would use it on a gig without a backup, it's a very dependable guitar. The finish should last a while, so I don't worry about it much. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression on this guitar says that it rocks awesomely. I've been playing guitar for about 2 years now, and I have a multi-effect processor/amp modeler, that I run through my First Act 10 watt amp. I regret nothing about trading my guitar, except for the fact that this one doesn't have a whammy system. If I lost it, or someone stole it, I would freak. I love it and everything about it, the thing I like most about it is the 22nd fret that my Squier didn't have, it is pretty cool in dropped tunings because the 22nd fret on the e string is the same note as the open DD (dropped D) string, I really like that thing that my old Squier didn't have. The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is a Whammy system, but it's okay, because it's still a great guitar. // 9

More First Act reviews rating category latest review