ME537 Review

5.4
 5.3
review (1) 34 comments vote for this gear:
ME537 Reviewed by: Reesy666, on february 16, 2010

Features: It has just a plain black finish with natural wood neck (I apologise as I do not know what any of the woods used in this guitar are..), some standard tuners which do not hold the guitar in tune for more than an hour or so, a single humbucking pickup fixed in the bridge position, 22 frets with standard dot inlays and one tone and one volume control. Overall, a no frills guitar on features, it doesn't even have a pick guard. // 4

Sound: At present, the main styles of music I play are sludge, doom and progressive metal. I run this guitar through my Line 6 spider 3, usually with a high gain sound and it does sound good to me, although, with only one pickup, there isn't a great deal of variation with sounds. The good thing is that there is no feedback and very little buzzing in the background when this guitar is plugged in. After playing along with a few High On Fire and Mastodon albums (both bands use first acts, which is the main reason why I wanted it), I'm going to give it an 8, it does capture their sound very well, although other genres, I'd rather use another guitar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: In a word, Bad. Nearly every single fret was too big for the neck and jutted out with sharp metal pieces, which, as I was unaware of these the first time I played it, actually cut my hand several times. From what I've heard off other people, many other ME537s are like this, so I would advise checking and filing down the outsides of the frets before playing. I raised the pickup and it sounds a lot better (in my opinion) to how it came, though I will say, it did sound quite good with the pickup in it's stock position. Overall, thanks to the sharp nut and frets, it is poor in this category. // 3

Reliability & Durability: I can sum this one up pretty fast. I, personally, wouldn't want the risk of playing this live at all, or I'd at least take a backup. It is really light and smaller than all of my other guitars which would be great for playing live but I would not use it on stage, largely due to the aforementioned tuning problem. // 6

Overall Impression: Despite a lot of my review being negative, after the few fixes and adjustments I have made myself which took a total time of around 1 hour, I do quite like this guitar. It has a hot sound and is easy to use, and the biggest benefit or it is you can pick one up from Wal Mart (if you happen to live in America) for 70 dollars new! I believe that this is around 40 pounds sterling, which is cheaper than 90% of most guitars. I would give it an 8.5, but, as I have wrote this to advise you about this guitar, I will give it a score that I think the majority of people would give it. // 6

More First Act reviews rating category latest review