ME952 Review

8.4
 5.8
review (1) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
ME952 Reviewed by: thecrimsondawn, on august 25, 2008

Features: "High output humbucking pickup for a big and punchy sound. Double cutaway solid poplar body for bright and brilliant tones. Maple neck with rosewood fingerboard for a solid feel and warm tones. Volume and tone speed dials for quick and easy access to sound tweaks. HardTail bridge for maximum sustain." I got this guitar from a friend Who had stopped playing on it. This guitar is one of the best First Act has ever made. Even though it is discontinued, you can still find it online for pretty cheap. It originally was sold with an 8" amplifier, case, strap, picks, extra strings, and a "Learn To Play" instruction book, all together for about $120. The next best choice would be the ME955. It's definatly a good deal for the beginner. This was the first electric I owned, and even though it was a hand-me-down, it was still a great guitar. // 7

Sound: It sounds pretty good with any style on a worth it amp, but on it's own amp it sounds pretty bad. For punk, rock, R&B, and pop it works. Like I said, it's a great deal for someone starting out. If you get a good set up for it (pedal, good amp, etc.) you can get a great sound out of it. But the amp that comes with it really henders it's potential. The First Act amp is strictly a practice amp, and can't do anything clean. There is a constant white noise sound. But the guitar sounds a lot better off of it's amp. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: There aren't any flaws about this guitar. Everything is where it's supposed to be, everything is lined up right. It can be improved, though. You can really soup this guitar up if you put a Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB Humbucker Pickup on it, it really improves it's action. But with the set up it has straight from the box, it is a great learner's/practice guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: After having a previous owner, and then being passed off into my unexperianced hands, my ME952 has been through a lot. For my birthday after I first got it, my brother took it up to Mom's Music to get some work done on it. The guy inspected it, and said "This is the best First Act guitar I've ever seen." Long story short, he told my brother it didn't need any work done on it, all it needed was some new strings. I haven't had any problems with it in all the years I've had it. The only visible wear on it is on the headstock where the paint started to chip a bit. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play punk and rock, and this guitar does it well. I can even play some metal if I have a good pedal to play through. I love this guitar. It really was a great guitar to jam on, and everyone Who came over and played it loved it. I recommend this guitar, or one like it, to anyone looking for a cheap package deal. // 10

More First Act reviews rating category latest review