FEP-BL Review

manufacturer: Freshman date: 12/08/2008 category: Electric Guitars
Freshman: FEP-BL
This superb electric guitar has to be seen and heard to be believed. Mahogany body beautifully put together with a Canadian maple arched top. Two humbuckers offer a selection of thick pronounced sounds, the tone across all 24 frets is well balanced.
 8.2
 9.2
 7.1
reviews (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
FEP-BL Reviewed by: Scarface88, on march 18, 2008

Features: The Freshman FEP-BL is no more than a couple of years old; I think it was first manufactured in 2006. Freshman produce their guitars in China under the rigorous examination and supervision of Scottish employees (they are based in Scotland with their main factory in China, apparently). It has 24 very easily played frets, with very little pressure required to get a clean sound, and chords and single notes are as easily performed as you'll ever feel on a guitar, especially for this price. I have owned a Squier Showmaster and a Les Paul Special II Custom, the latter of which was superb; the Freshman outstrips it in every department. It has a sapphire blue mahogany body and maple arch top, one tuning control, one volume control, a three-way pickup Switch and two truly awesome humbuckers. I'm not 100% on the exact model of the pickups, but they are certainly magnificent, with quality sound produced wherever you play a note. // 9

Sound: I mostly play heavy metal (Iron Maiden, Pantera, Metallica, Avenged Sevenfold), but I also dabble in the likes of Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Pink Floyd, and such. The Freshman caters for all of these easily. I play it on a Line6 Spider II 112 75 watt amplifier, and while the amp is more suited to heavy metal, I can get more than reasonable clean sounds out of it. There is very little noise from the guitar, especially compared to my old ones. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar, aesthetically, is beautiful. So beautiful, in fact, that I recently wrote a poem about it, but using metaphors to make it seem like a woman. This guitar is more beautiful than any woman. From the wonderfully shaped headstock to the slim sapphire of the body, it is, quite simply, a sight to behold. The icing on a truly delicious cake is that, instead of regular fret markers, there are shiny silvery swallows. All of the elements of the look of he guitar really add to the experience. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar's got a nice weight to it; not too much so that your shoulder or back aches when playing standing up, but not so light that you feel like you're playing something cheap. It's the kind of weight that you take notice of because of the amazing sound you get out of it, you'd think it was a little more cumbersome. It's hard to explain. Such is the irony of writing a review. I haven't played live with it yet, but I would definitely use this guitar in a gig without a backup, simply because if the guitar failed on me, it would be divine intervention, I was never meant to play that gig (basically, it's pretty damn solid). The finish looks like it's going to last for quite some time. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing heavy metal, a Freshman guitar, considering they're renowned for acoustics, might have seemed an odd choice (Santana plays a similar one to mine, and his style is definitely not metal). But it doesn't matter; this guitar is the best I've ever played, and, for 444 quid (about $888) it's the bargain of a lifetime, even though that's its recommended retail price. I have recently seen one online for about 320, so for anyone looking for an affordable (but not 'affordable' as in crap) new guitar to suit any style, get this. It rules. If it were stolen, I'd have to steal it back or take it by force, because I don't actually know any stores that sell it (I'm not sure about the online thing). Then, for good measure, I'd give the guitar back to the theif, because everyone deserves to play it. But then I'd kill them 'cause he/she stole my guitar. // 9

FEP-BL Reviewed by: JordanRiding, on december 08, 2008

Features: This guitar, apparently first manufactured in 2006, is an absolute beauty. Whilst looking for new guitars, I came across this in a local music store, at first I thought it was a real PRS, but upon closer inspection of the label and guitar, I realised it was a copy. Still, I had to have it. The first thing I noticed when I picked it up was how easy the guitar is to play, It is truly a joy to play anytime. The guitar is a beautiful Sapphire Blue colour, very shiny, the finish is mesmerising, with Grover tuners, and a tune-o-matic bridge. There is one volume knob, and one tone knob, with a 3 way selector, which makes the difference when playing with distortion or clean. The two humbucker pickups that were fitted are beautiful sounding, although I am not sure what make they are. The body is Mahogany, with a Canadian Maple Arched Top. There are 24 frets, which gives more space to solo and generally play around with. I got the guitar with a hard Tribal Planet case all for 300. // 9

Sound: I play a range of music, ranging from Metal, to Very Clean, chilled, to effects-laden music. This guitar hasn't failed me in any style I want to play in, it's versatility is a very strong point. I use a Bugera 212 333XL, and the guitar and amp work perfectly together. When the 3 way selector is on the bottom 2 pickups, you get a very crunchy, more 'twangy' sound if you will. This is the best setting for distortion. The middle 2 pickups, when selected, dampen distortion, but sound magnificent when used for clean, chord work, the top 2 pickups are similar to the middle 2 in sound, very nice. I am always finding new sounds coming from the guitar, getting harmonic sounds frm it comes very easily, and I base some of my work with my band Solus, on harmonic work and strange sounds. Very bold sound all the time, and so far no technical faults. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar is the same setup now as it was when I bought it this time last year, The strings have been changed four or five times, but that's all. The action is Standard, not too high and not too low. As I mentioned, the guitar is a pleasure to play, and friends Who have played it also agree. The guitar had 100 knocked off when I bought it, as there was a tiny scratch near the tone knob, this was an eyelash sized scratch, which even close to the guitar, required a bit of searching for. Over time, my Lead socket washer has become loose, but this is not irregular, and with just a bit of tightening, all is well. I'm sure this does not affect all models. Everything else about the guitar is perfect. The colour, sound, playability, everything. I find it hard to find a bad word to say about it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is a beast. A month after I bought it, I picked my case up and the damn thing flew out and hit my keyboard, I stood, scared to pick it up as I feared all the finish would be broke, how wrong was I? Not a scratch, and I kid you not. The hardware is built to last, strap buttons are solid, although I am going to get wider ones fitted, just incase one of my straps should fly off. The guitar is my only one currently, It has played 5 gigs, and there have been no problems. I would use it for every gig without backup, I take it to college 3 days a week on the bus, and rehearsal monday and friday every week, along with my hard case, nothing can touch it. The finish is so stunning, that for a while I wouldn't take the guitar anywhere in fear or ruining it. After a year of constant use, there is one scratch from a gig, I am not sure how this happened but It's not noticeable. The Finish is very strong, and the only way to go about messing it up, would be to shoot it, set fire to it, or throw it on a hard floor. It takes a beating, but it doesn't show. Fingerprints are a nuisance, but aren't they with any guitar? // 9

Overall Impression: I play a wide range of music, with influences being Primus, The Beatles, The Flaming Lips, Fightstar, and more. The guitar handles any playing style you throw at it. I have been playing for near enough 5 years, and study music. I run the guitar through a Bugera 212 333XL, 120 watts valve amplifier. I also use a Line 6 Spider 3 for rehearsals with my band. The guitar sounds great through both, and pretty much any other amp I put it through. Before I bought the guitar, I spent time asking about it, making sure it would be the one for me, and a worthy buy, I found out everything I needed to know, and was happy. If it was stolen from me, I'd find it, use it to beat the bastard Who stole it, and then keep it, as the human would probably be more damaged than the guitar. I love the colour the most, and the playability. The versatility of the guitar means a lot, and this one is like a chameleon, blending in with anything. I would have liked a whammy bar on the guitar, but to be honest, I have had nothing but trouble from them in the past... so if I need whammy bars, I'll use my old Encore Strat which I can go crazy on. Before buying the guitar, I looked into getting many others, including an Epiphone, a Strat, and an Ibanez, but after playing each, I saw this one day, and after trying it out, I knew it was perfect. Should you come across this guitar in a shop one day, seriously consider buying it, I've not seen many, only 2 ever, and apparently it's one of the first electric guitars manufactured by Freshman. They did a damn fine job! Brilliant, Beautiful Guitar, Worth Every Penny. // 9

More Freshman reviews rating category latest review
+ AP3JEM 8.9 Acoustic Guitars 02/04/2014