J-EM Review

manufacturer: Freya date: 06/28/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Freya: J-EM
The guitar is a copy of the Ibanez JEM. The guitar's specifications closely follow those of the original Ibanez model. I never expected a replica JEM costing only £150 to match the quality of an original Ibanez priced around £2000!
 Features: 8.5
 5.6
 8.3
 2.9
reviews (2) pictures (2) 30 comments vote for this gear:
J-EM Reviewed by: GMoorefan84, on april 25, 2012

Features: Freya Musical Instruments are a small company based in Ireland. All their guitars are made in China and imported to Ireland where they sell them via their eBay store. They make replicas of many popular guitars such as Stratocasters and Les Pauls. The guitar I am reviewing here is a copy of the Ibanez JEM. The guitar's specifications closely follow those of the original Ibanez model; Basswood body with Maple neck featuring the Tree-of-Life inlay on a two octave (24 fret) Rosewood fretboard. Hardware includes gold-plated licensed Floyd Rose bridge with whammy bar, locking nut and die-cast tuners. Other features include two humbucker and one single-coil pickups, one volume and one tone control and a five-way switch. The finish is white with a pearloid scratch plate. Only the headstock differs from the Ibanez as, although similar, is a slightly different shape and finished in black with "Freya" logo. The body also has a "monkey grip". Guitar comes with a padded "Freya" gig bag. // 9

Sound: As a guitar teacher I am regularly expected to demonstrate a number of different styles, although personally, I enjoy to play classic rock, blues and instrumental music by artists such as Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Eric Johnson and Yngwie J. Malmsteen. I would like to make it very clear that I never expected a replica JEM costing only 150 to match the quality of an original Ibanez priced around 2000! Instead I have tried to evaluate the guitar as fairly as possible. Despite how little I paid for this guitar I was very surprised by just how versatile it was. The pickups have a wonderful brightness and clarity, unlike so many budget priced guitars that have a tendency to sound "muddy" or dull. The neck humbucker pickup particularly really sings and has a lovely warm tone. Unfortunately, Freya Musical Instruments were unable to tell me what the pickups were when I enquired, so I am unable to say what they are exactly? I tested the guitar through a Marshall MG100DFX and a Kustom 20 watt practice amp on both the clean and overdrive channels and the guitar really sounded fantastic! I did find I needed to use an external overdrive/distortion pedal with the practice amp to get a decent tone (due to poor quality overdrive on amp) but could happily play the guitar straight into the Marshall without need of external pedals all day long! The pickups may not be DiMarzio's but they sure do the trick! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: As part of their customer service, Freya Musical Instruments will personally set the guitar up for you before shipping. This includes choice of string gauge (Ernie Ball Slinky 9's or 10's) and action tailored to your preference. Considering this guitar only cost me 150 it is very well made and finished very well. The only flaw that I could find with the finish was that there was less paint inside the "monkey grip" than the rest of the body. However, this is not visually noticeable and I was purposely looking for something to fault. The guitar has a lovely low action, without any buzzing and the licensed Floyd Rose works perfectly. The only other fault I could find with the guitar was that one or two of the frets "choked" slightly. This was easily fixed by my local guitar tech and cost very little to remedy. Most budget price guitars have these kinds of issues so I won't judge the guitar too harshly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Despite having one of my Ibanez RG350S available as a backup (I would recommend all performing musicians to carry a spare!), I had no need for it as the Freya proved itself both worthy and dependable as far as live performance was concerned. The strap buttons are secure without the need for strap locks, although I must confess that strap locks are a beneficial addition to many guitars. I took a chance on buying this guitar as it was not a brand that I recognized, however it has proved both reliable and dependable time after time and has become quite a favourite of mine on stage! You would think I had the real Ibanez from all the attention it attracts! // 9

Overall Impression: I have used a number of different guitars throughout my 20 years of playing and as a guitar teacher feel it is important to look for quality instruments for all budgets in order to best advise my students whether they be purchasing their first guitar or up-grading to a model better suited to their individual taste/styles. I purchased this guitar out of curiosity as many of my students are discovering Steve Vai's music and want an Ibanez JEM and their unfortunate parents have been breathing down my neck for a cheaper alternative. Freya Musical Instruments really do offer a friendly and enthusiast service and were very prompt and helpful when answering my emails prior to purchase. Of course, I do not compare this guitar in any way to an original Ibanez JEM. Nobody could expect a guitar purchased for 150 to compete with a 2000 guitar. However, I can confidently say that this guitar performs well and produces a lovely range of tones. The action is smooth, is a real pleasure to play and guitar looks amazing! If it where lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again only, as Freya fastest selling model, it is not always easy to get hold of as my students are discovering. This is a lovely replica of one of the most recognized and sought after guitars without needing to worry about owning a Chinese made Ibanez fake. // 9

J-EM Reviewed by: thebulgeofjesus, on june 28, 2013

Features: Just to start I'm not going to make this as detailed as the previous but I recently bought this guitar so I thought I'd write my first review. So the guitar was made by Freya in Ireland. The guitar itself looks almost exact to the original Ibanez we all know and love. The neck has a nice feel to it similar to the low to mid-range Ibanez's such as the s540. The guitar is also quite light weight. I am unsure of the pickup brand but they are obviously not as good as the evo's in the Ibanez. My only niggle with the features of this guitar are the locking nuts and Floyd Ros (which is a licensed one). Purely because with excessive bending or whammying the B String will go out of tune, but I'm sure with a proper set up this will be fixed. // 8

Sound: As I mentioned before I am unsure of the pickup make but they aren't as good as the evo's in the Ibanez. However they are really nice, I can't afford a real nice Marshall with loads of pedals so I am just running it through a Line 6 75w spider. But I have to say they sound good with a few adjustments to settings. I am really influenced with '80s bands such as Whitesnake and for this genre of music they sound excellent. Also for influences such as Vai, Gilbert, Satriani, Malmsteen etc. it sounds and plays quite nice. My only problem with their pickups is that harmonics aren't very "thick" sounding. Also if you want to play really heavy stuff the sound isnt for you. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up rather well, apart from what I mentioned earlier which I will come to again. They fit Ernie 9 - 42's at the factory unless if you specify you want a different. The action was fairly low, which is how I like it, but if you want it otherwise you can let them know ad they will change it before it is shipped. Now as I mentioned before the B String sometimes goes out of tune with excessive playing. I found this out when I was playing the intro to "Estranged" by GNR. I played the first major bend on the B string and when I came back to it I thought "Oops, I played it wrong" but it turned out the string was completely out. So I tuned it back up and after a while I used the whammy and the same thing happened. So I re tuned it but it hasn't happened again since then, probably just because I'm a bit more careful now. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would stand live playing to a certain extent. Because if what happened with the tuning where to happen on stage you would be stuffed really, unless your Vai when his string broke and he carried on with an epic hero solo, if you haven't seen that check it out, but anyway you would have to be careful. The guitar itself seems like it will last a long time along with the hardware. That goes for the finish of the guitar as well. Overall I am quite happy with the durability of this guitar. // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression is very good of this guitar, I was expecting a cheap thing for the price but I was pleasantly suprised. I have been playing guitar for around 5-6 years and have experienced a number of different ones but I would say the feel is definitely on par with the mid range Ibanez's, which is rather good. I would definitely replace this guitar with the same if it were lost or stolen or an alien took it because for the price you really can't do better than this, and it just looks really nice. I do wish it had the EVO Pickups and a high end Floyd Rose and locking bridge. Thanks for reading, if your thinking about buying this instrument, I do recommend it! // 9

More Freya reviews rating category latest review
+ LP-1 Single Cut 60 7.4 Electric Guitars 08/03/2010