LP-1 Single Cut 60 Review

manufacturer: Freya date: 08/03/2010 category: Electric Guitars
Freya: LP-1 Single Cut 60
Made in China and imported to Ireland by freya musical instruments. Mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard.
 7.4
 8.4
 6.4
review (1) pictures (2) 13 comments vote for this gear:
LP-1 Single Cut 60 Reviewed by: Knight0fcydonia, on august 03, 2010

Price paid: € 250

Purchased from: Freya Musical Instruments

Features: Made in China and imported to Ireland by Freya Musical Instruments. Mahogany body and neck with a rosewood fretboard. I think it comes in 2 choices of finish... Cherry and tobacco sunburst. I opted for the cherry sunburst, haven't seen the tobacco burst but I'm sure I made the right choice. It's a gorgeous quilted top finish. Two humbuckers, two volume and two tone controls as you would expect from any Les Paul. I believe the pickups are alnico magnet type but can't be sure. The tuners are fine but nothing special. All the features are as you would expect from a Les Paul type guitar. // 8

Sound: I play a Strat most of the time but I wanted something to give me that heavier rock tone, however I didn't want to spend a lot of money to get it! I'm not at a level where I could justify spending alot of money on a gibson. My taste in music varies but I mostly play rock, some blues and funk occasionally. This guitar is perfect for what I wanted, I honestly can't get over the sound and range of tones I'm getting from this guitar. I've played guitars that cost 4 times much as this and they haven't come close! The pickups in this thing are stock and although I bought with the intention of changing them fairly soon I wont be rushing it now. The sustain is fantastic... Really nice rich sound from the neck pup and nice bright sound from the bridge. I play through a small Line 6 amp and it's sounds great through that, I'd imagine even better through a tube amp. I have found it can be a little noisy when playing with a lot of distortion but that could be due to my set up of quite a low action... I play single coil mainly so I'm used to a little noise. It really doesn't bother me enough to give out about it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As I'm typing this, I'm just thinking... It really is hard to believe this guitar only cost 250! The guy that sells these guitars will personally set the guitar up for you before shipping it. You can even tailor your set up to your own needs, I asked for a lowish action without buzz and I got exactly that. Frets where polished up, new set of 9's fitted. Pickups are perfect... I may eventually adjust my bridge pickup slightly (it maybe why I'm getting some noise with distortion). I'm struggling to think of a flaw. With this being a cheap guitar I purposefully went looking for flaws such as paint on the pickup moulds, around the neck, glue marks etc but I didn't find any! // 9

Reliability & Durability: I don't gig but if I did I would have no hesitation in using this... It's a good heavy guitar. I have no reason to doubt there would be a hardware problem, I think the tuners could be a little better but otherwise there is nothing I would be rushing to upgrade. Haven't put a strap on the guitar yet but I believe all guitars benefit from strap locks, I'd do it with a 250 or 2500. If I was gigging I would always have a backup, that just makes sense! But I have no reason to doubt this guitars reliability. This guitar will last the test of time with me, to be honest I was taking a chance buying this... I really had no clue if I would like it and I am so glad I did. I own an American Fender Roadhouse Strat and I haven't picked it back up since I got this guitar a week ago. I've never owned a Gibson, but I have owned my fair share of decent guitars and plenty of rubbish ones! And I can safely say this is the best value guitar I've ever bought, you won't get anything like this for the same price. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar completes my collation (for now at least! ). I also own an American Fender Strat and an Ovation acoustic. Freya Musical Instruments where excellent through the buying process and Robert answered all my questions in a prompt manner, To be honest it was his enthusiasm for these guitars that convinced me to buy it. They really do offer a fantastic service. I should also add I am in no way affiliated with Freya, I'm just a very happy customer! If it where lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again... I will actually buy from these guys again because I like the look of their Telecasters, I just need to convince the wife I have room for one more guitar. What do I love about the guitar? Range of tones, the feel, the finish, the quilted top, pretty much everything. What do I hate about the guitar? Nothing... The noise with distortion can be mildly irritating and it would benefit from better tuners but I certainly don't hate these features. I can't recommend this guitar highly enough... I've found a gem! // 9

More Freya reviews rating category latest review
+ J-EM 5.6 Electric Guitars 06/28/2013