R36 Turbulence Review

5.9
review (1) pictures (3) 24 comments vote for this gear:
R36 Turbulence Reviewed by: Zhuriel, on december 21, 2009

Purchased from: Manufacturer

Features: I don't actually know where or when the guitar was made, I can't find any information on this. I know it's an import model, so its probably china or korea or something like that. The guitar has seven strings and 36 frets, making for a lot of range. For better playability, the upper 12 frets are smaller than the others. The neck is made of five pieces maple and walnut with a maple fretboard and is bolted to the body with five screws. The neck joint starts around the 27th fret on the high e string. The body is made of mahogany and has a great shape. Even though it may look like it's just designed to look crazy, its actually very well thought out: The long upper horn rests against the body, the big lower cutout makes it easy to reach the high frets, and the curved top is comfortable for the right arm. There also is a left-leg rest, which puts it in a perfect playing position when sitting. The body and headstock is painted glossy black, with "TURBULENCE" written on the inside of the upper horn. The neck back is painted satin black with a red binding around the fretboard and headstock. One side of the headstock is finished clear to make the different woods visible (they call this "Composition Display Window"), which looks really cool and unique. The bridge is a licensed Floyd Rose, recessed into the body, with a locking nut. All the hardware is black. Because of the number of frets, there is only one pickup. It's a Gary Kramer humbucker, mounted directly on the body. There's no use for a pickup selector, so there's only Volume (with a nice big knob) and tone, which also splits the pickup when pulled out. The guitar came with a case, which is nice, but has an uncomfortable handle. // 9

Sound: I play (prog) metal, and this guitar sounds good for what I intend to use it for. It will be my guitar for heavier stuff, because it's a sevenstring. I won't be using it exclusively, because of it's limited sounds. The stock pickup is good, but I will be replacing it, there's room for improvement. I'm playing the guitar through a Boss GT-10. I don't get much noise one the less distorted sounds, and my heavier patches are all extremely noisegated. It's quieter than my other guitars, though. All kinds of heavy sounds work well, from completely midscooped to more "djent"-ish stuff, but clean sounds an warm blues tones just need a neck pickup, which this guitar doesn't have. Then again, you won't be playing in a blues band with a guitar that looks like this... // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was great out of the box. I only had to tune the low B and I could start playing. Not bad for a guitar that's been shipped from the USA to Switzerland! The action is great and i can play fast, I didn't have to adjust anything. There is a slight buzz on the low b string if I pick hard, but I don't mind that. Everything is aligned and installed properly and there are only minor flaws. There is a tiny flaw in the finish near the headstock. Also, The trem arm tends to get loose on deep dives, which kind of annoys me. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is really solid. After a couple of bumps into the wall and two hits to the headstock with a friend's bass, the only damage is a bit of paint come off on the headstock's tip. (which seems to happen to all my guitars :/ ) I've installed Schaller straplocks to make sure it stays on the strap. If this was the only type of guitar I was playing, I think I would rely on it, but I still would bring an "emergency" backup in case a string breaks. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar. It's great for what it's intended to do (not so good for other things) and it is unique. I've been playing for a little over 1.5 years. My main guitar is a heavily modded Ibanez JS-100. If it were stolen, I'd definitely buy it again, because it's the best for playing/practicing seated, among other things. I love the neck, playability, range, and shape of this guitar. Probably the best thing about it that I haven't mentioned yet is the reactions it gets. Most people don't know what to say because they've never seen anything like it. Before I found out about this, I was considering the low-end Ibanez and Schecter 7strings, which cost about the same as this in my country, but as soon as I saw this, especially its price, I had to get it. The only problem for me is its lacking versatility. // 9

Comments