Metal V Review

review (1) pictures (1) 15 comments vote for this gear:
Metal V Reviewed by: xgm319, on august 19, 2010

Price paid: £ 89.99

Purchased from: gear4music

Features: This was my first guitar which a got in a beginning package for Christmas. It came with a s*** 35 watt amp, replacement strings, a gig bag (which the guitar doesn't fit in) and some plectrums. It has 22 frets and is made from basswood and maple. It has a HardTail Strat style bridge with a whammy bar and floating tremolo.It has volume and tone knobs and a pick-up selector, so overall it comes welkl equiped. // 8

Sound: As you have probobly guessed, this guitar makes an avrage sound when it comes to rock and metal. I used to play it through a Gear4Music 35 watt amp which came with the guitar package. It was fairly crap and broke within the first year(I was a beginner then) I then started to play it through a White Horse GT112 60 watt amp which was much better. The guitar comes with 2 open humbuckers which don't give you a good sound if you decide to play anything other than hard rock and metal and even then they don't give an impressive tone. Its volume and tone control knobs dont do much to the sound other than make it shut up all together (both knobs turned down)but the pick-up selector gives a more noticeable difference. The bridge pick-up on its own sounds muffled, the neck pick-up sounds very "Angus Young" but I'm still not impressed with it and when you have both pick-ups selected it starts to sound like a guitar. Overall, not impressed with the sound. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar had a surprisingly good build quality. All the pick ups were adjusted correctly, the neck was correctly allied with the body. The finish was stunning, very shiny. The only down side with the build quality was that it didn't tune very well and the strings that came with it were terrible (but then again, most factory strings are poor). // 7

Reliability & Durability: I would not recommend this guitar for live playing just because it sounds bad. Other than that, it wouldn't brake on you (mine still hasn't broke and iv had mine since I can remember) strap buttons are fairly solid and the hardware is INDESTRUCTIBLE. The finish will scratch easy but it don't have a pick guard so I expect it to scrape. // 7

Overall Impression: At the end of the day, its a gear4music. A music dealer which has had a go at making a musical instrument. 10 out of 10 for a good try but I'm afraid its a miss. I play a wide variety of styles from classical to metal and have done for about 3 and a half years, this was my first electric guitar and at the time because it was v shaped I thought it was the best guitar in the world but it soon dawned on me that its nothing but eye candy and if you play quite well I suggest that you invest in a higher quality guitar. // 3

More Gear4Music reviews rating category latest review