Metal X Guitar Review

6.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Metal X Guitar Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 20, 2010

Purchased from: gear4music.com

Features: I don't know what year mine was made, but i'm fairly sure it's Korean. It's got 24 frets and I think a Rosewood fingerboard. The body is basswood, mine has a Lisenced Floyd Rose tremolo, and it's s**t. I'm not sure if thats the guitar's fault, but yano. It has the usual controls; tone and volume, and a pickup selector. I got this guitar as a started pack at Christmas 2009 and at the time I thought it was amazing. But now i'm more experienced, I can see what a load of c**p this guitar really is. // 5

Sound: The sound this guitar makes when played through the 15 watt amp I with it is really s**t. It sounds really muddy when you drop-tune it (I'm in drop D most of the time) I bought a DigiTech Death Metal distortion pedal, it sounds slighty better, but I'm going to upgrade very soon. When your not playing, but have it plugged in and switched on, it buzzes like hell. // 3

Action, Fit & Finish: It makes me laugh that Gear4Music call their instruments 'quality'. Alot of the stuff on it has broken, and i have to get my guitar teacher to tune it for me because it's so hard to tune and keep it tuned. The guitar itself is really heavy, and the straps it came with are really c**p, and it hurts your shoulder after a few minutes. I think the control knobs are hard to reach from the playing position, and the body isn't contured so its a little bit hard to reach the strings. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Live? On a Gear4Music guitar? This peice of s**t will get you laughed off the stage before you even start playing. And it will sound really muddy, and it will probably break because of the sh**y build quality. And if you are playing live, you won't have a Gear4Music in the first place. I would bring a back-up guitar, and use that instead if I was playing a gig. // 2

Overall Impression: I mainly play metal, and it needs to sound less muddy to be a proper metal guitar. I have been playing around 7-8 months and I own everything that came in the starter pack for this guitar. If it was stolen, I would be happy because I would have another reason to buy a better guitar; I currently have my eyes on an Ibanez GRG170DX. I love this guitar, dispite all its flaws and shortcomings, but only because I've owned it and learnt on it. Basically, its a nice guitar if your only going to have it for a few months as your first guitar. // 5

Metal X Guitar Reviewed by: BackDoorEntry, on december 10, 2008

Features: There were no clues as to when this product was made since it came in just a box, with no instructions or papers or anything and that created a wildly negative impression. I think it was built in the UK but do not take my word for it, as I said before there were no hints. There are 24 frets, each full size with a maple C neck. The neck is quite thick though. The site says the guitar is made from basswood, but I very highly doubt this, as it just feels like plywood, especially on the insides when you take off the back cover to adjust the bridge. Also, there was sawdust gathered in literally PILES inside the guitar, this shows the lack of attention on the guitar. It is also relatively thick to most guitars, the straplocks are very strong, the tuners are really weak also which I don't understand because it is supposed to be double locking. // 3

Sound: On the stock amp and stock strings it sounds muddy on clean, and too dry and noisy on distortion. I've played this on a messa amp also, and it sounded like half a squire Strat... My friends Stagg SG has more distortion than this supposedly 'made for metal guitar' too. The passive pickups aren't good, so if you are seriously considering playing this guitar with other people you MUST buy new pickups at the least, otherwise your sound will be horrible. I'm generally versatile in what I play, but I like playing metal more than anything else and this guitar isnt suited for anything at all other than private practice. I replaced the strings with Ernie Ball slinkys and the sound has improved, but not by much. // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was low, but at the stock height there was A LOT of fretbuzz, so much that you could actually hear it through the amp and it was embarrassing so I instantly loosened the bridge inontation to solve this. The placement of pickups are ok, however it seems loose because when I try to get some dust off of them with my finger, the whole pickup moves like it's going to drop out of the fitting... Lastly, every time you undid the double locking system at the neck to turn the pegs(with stock strings), the strings would go out of tune within a few seconds of tuning. However, I changed to Ernie Ball slinkys and it didn't go out of tune that quickly, so I don't really know what happened there. The bridge is quite good with new strings and depending on how you set it, with the locking nuts on it can stay in tune for probably just under a week (I play like 30mins a day because of exams). // 3

Reliability & Durability: However, this guitar will probably stand Live playing as long as you have checked everything yourself and replaced both pickups and strings. I bought this 7 months ago, and it's still standing so I will give it some praise for that. I would replace the stock strap though, it seems pretty weak, my reinforced one is excellent and I have never had any strap problems since. The finish is literally scratch proof and I can't see any damage being done to it in the near future at all, it's damn tough. However the fretboard is kinda worn now so that's the otherside of the coin. Also the tremolo bar is a screw in, and it seems the threads are getting worn already and it becomes loose quickly, watch out. Take this to a gig without a backup? You're having a laugh.. backup for this guitar is a must. // 6

Overall Impression: I am still learning guitar as a beginner going on intermediate and even I can tell I could have done better in choosing a guitar, the biggest downside to this guitar is the fat Gear4Music logo on the headstock, it sucks and it's really embarassing to carry around. If you want to buy a guitar for the shape, go for a bc rich instead for a little bit extra.. it's worth it. If this were stolen though, I would be happy as I could have an excuse to get me a new Ibanez. I do have to give it credit for the bridge though, it's stronger than I expected for the price, but the double locking nuts let it down. In my opinion, I would avoid this all together, go for a better brand as you will regret it if you buy this guitar. I hope I can post a youtube vid soon to elaborate on this review. // 3

More Gear4Music reviews rating category latest review