120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune Review

Gibson: 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune
 7.1
 7.2
review (1) pictures (6) user comments vote for this gear:
120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune Reviewed by: AJH0014, on august 15, 2014

Features: 2014 USA. 24 fret, solid top, Mahogany neck and body, Satin cherry finish. Double cutaway (SG) body. Tune-o-matic bridge. Passive vintage alnico pickups, active electric machine heads (with rechargeable battery) pretty much standard features for an SG. The neck is supposed to be tapered thinner on one of it's sides I is a very comfortable and fast neck. Rosewood finger board with dot inlays, the finish on the neck is satin so it's never sticky. Silk screened black (front) head stock with gold Gibson font and flowerpot. 3-way switch that attaches to 2 volume, 2 tone pots via circuit board. Plug in '50s or '60s Zebra pickups. Glued in neck. The 120th Anniversary inlay is nice, it feels good to know that the company that made it is proud of it, s longevity. // 10

Sound: This suits my music style of playing at home in front of the fire or where ever I am sitting. I don't have a style I just play because that's what I like doing. Plugged into my Peavey Delta Blues valve amp it sounds pretty awesome, no electrical buzz (hum) handles gain well without much (if any) feedback. Has good bell like sound on clean neck and twangy telecaster like sound with the bridge pickup. I don't know about the full sound range though as the pots are faulty (probably warranty issue) but it does sound amazing when playing vintage rock music, or anything. Very pleased with the sound... Play mostly clean with lowish to mid gain with the treb/mid/bass mostly in the middle with no effects peddles. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the factory (or guitar shop) the setup was top notch low action no fret buzz no raised frets, intonation accurate, plays like a dream. Now... on the higher frets 21, 22, 23. These have sharp edges. The neck attaches to the body with a very flush fit, no signs of gaps of putty anywhere, The joint however on the right side of the guitar is slightly uneven resulting in a small annoying raised edge, while this is not too noticeable while playing it can be a little annoying when caressing the guitar. There are also a few small, SMALL bumps in the cherry red satin finish (which is difficult to evenly apply) The wood grain is nice and I love the smell of freshly cut timber. The hardware is all good except for the problems with the pots, The machine heads are difficult to wind manually and may break easily if done too often. // 6

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar would withstand live playing... it's a Gibson. I don't play live and don't intend on doing so because guitar is a very personal hobby of mine and a way to relax. I expect the entire guitar to outlive me because I treat it like a fine crystal glass that when not in use is safely tucked away in it's case (it does get 3-9 hours use a week though and it isn't my only guitar). I don't expect the tuners to last more than 2 or 3 years. 6 because of the tuners. The strap buttons are solid, machined aluminum. The frets should last they are hardened steel. The finish is nitro that gets damaged easily, but this is a very solid and well built guitar. // 6

Overall Impression: I play whatever I feel like whenever I'm playing. This guitar is a very good match because when I was in the guitar shop I was originally going to buy an Epi SG (didn't like that particular SG didn't feel right, tried a few other Gibson guitars, I liked this one the most especially considering Gibson prices in Aus this was in my opinion is a steal). Been playing for almost 10 years. Have a few other guitars, 3 amps, 2 violins and a harmonica. If there was anything I would've asked before buying this is... can't really think of anything to ask. If it was lost or stolen, I wouldn't replace it because I don't think I would feel good about it's replacement. I guess it compares to other variants of the Gibson SG. // 6

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Standard '60s 9.6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014