1952 Goldtop Tribute Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: 1952 Goldtop Tribute
Guitar does reflect the price tag and Gibson have done a very good job on this one. Well done Gibson excellent guitar all round just a couple of minor improvements needed.
 7.3
 8.4
 6.2
review (1) pictures (4) 20 comments vote for this gear:
1952 Goldtop Tribute Reviewed by: Elld07, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in USA at the Nashville Plant in 2010. 22 frets with a 50's neck profile, supposed jumbo frets but I would say more medium to large. 1 piece mahoghany body with a maple cap and 1 piece mahoghany neck. Finished in nitrocellulose lacquer. Originally designed tailpiece that was designed by Les Paul himself and wraps over rather than under unlike the original. 2 300k CTS volume pots and 2 500k CTS tone pots. Dual p90 pickups, 3 way pickup selector, switchcraft output jack. The guitar came with Standard Gibson USA hardshell case COA and the usual Gibson documents and checklists. So pretty much your Standard Gibson setup which is a bit hard to rate hence the 9. // 9

Sound: Well my sound is heavy influenced by ZZ Top, Led Zeppelin etc. My use of the guitar is slightly limited in the sense that I don't really go too far off the beaten track in terms of different sounds, I'm using a 1979 Marshall JMP 50W and the 1960a Cab and the only effect that I use is an MXR micro-amp, so in essence what I'm trying to say is that the guitar does blues rock tones very well and has a pleasent warm clean tone when you roll off the volume. The midrange of the guitar is in my opinion the guitars strongest asset its strong and bassy but still offers enough punch to ensure clarity of note. The guitar can also get pretty high end treble aswell which I'm sure is down to the choice of pots that Gibson has very wisely decided to use in this guitar. In terms of feedback and noise the guitar is suprisingly good considering the p90's you have to get pretty close to your amplifier for it to get a bit crazy and background noise is overwhelmingly loud. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Suprisingly enough my guitar was very well setup from the Gibson factory considering some of the less impressive ones I've had. The pickups on the guitar I intially felt were set slightly high but in reality someone at the factory clearly knows better than me and mounted them perfectly it just took a little time to get used to how they were mounted. The guitar has a beautiful mahoghany back and and and almost flawless finish apart from a tiny bit of paint run on the very edge (really picking holes here) everything on the guitar has been machined properly and I have no insecurities about the guitars solidness. My only really problem with it was that I felt that the fretboard was a little dry from the factory but that was easily remedied although for an 1800 guitar I would expect not to have to deal with this problem. I also feel that the strap buttons are far too small and the Vintage style are not nearly as good as the grover that I have on my black beauty but in fairness to Gibson do look good and are solid enough to withstand anything that I throw at them. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I mean this is Gibson guitar and I would have absolutely no issues playing it live and not worrying about it failing on me. Hardware is solid, the finish on the guitar is also solid pretty much a given with a Gibson. I'm one problem with this guitar is that although it is an excellent guitar the strap buttons are too small and I have already caught it mid air twice. I personally think that this really needs to be looked at by Gibson as frankly strap button of this size are crap and no use to anyone who isnt sitting in their bedroom with it and I don't want to change them and invalidate my warranty. // 8

Overall Impression: My overall impression of this guitar is that it suits me very well. I feel that the guitar does reflect the price tag and Gibson have done a very good job on this one despite its stupid strap buttons. In comparison to my black beauty I much prefer the tone on this and I find a good tone on this guitar much easier to find than the custom. The only things that I would change on the entire guitar are the strap buttons and the tuners which I feel are not as good as the grovers that I have on the custom. But well done Gibson excellent guitar all round just a couple of minor improvements needed. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune 7.1 Electric Guitars 08/15/2014