1968 Les Paul Standard Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: 1968 Les Paul Standard
Grover tuners, mahagony neck, 3 layers of ash wood on the body, it has a single cut-away on the left, and has the same amount of frets as a normal acoustic guitar. Instead of dotted frets, it has clam shells on it. It came with a case, a strap, and a cord.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.4
 7.4
reviews (5) 31 comments vote for this gear:

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

Features: The guitar I bought was a 2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard. It is simply amazing, it has 22 frets, dual Humbuckers , a 3-way tone selector (rhythm, treble or in-between), a mahagony body, pearl inlay! AA carved maple head, and I ordered it with the 60's slim taper neck because my hands are small. The neck hits the body at the 16th fret, but its got a single cutaway on the body so you can reach the frets up to 22 no sweat. Seriously, the only downside is that it costs a TON of money. But I got a deal so that I got a free Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker with it (that's right free) so I sold it for 400 dollars and used it to pay off the guitar. // 10

Sound: This guitar's tone ranges is also simply amazing. You don't even need an amazing amp to make it sound good, I just use a 30W Fender for practicing. It can actually make your amp louder, because of its two volume controls. It's noisiest on treble. A very very rich sound, if you want it, thats how much variety you can get on this guitar. It has two tone controls, and they help you get the sound you want. Very broad range of tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar seems as if it was hand crafted which I think it may have been. The pickups were adjusted perfectly, and the bridge was flawless. The only flaw on the guitar is that the input washer got a little loose once. Once. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on this guitar. I went from a cheap imitation Strat, to this guitar, and it actually improved my playing. It's so nice! The finish has gotten scratched on the back from my spike belt, but I just take if off when I play it now. I haven't gotten a chance to play it live, but you know that it plays well live from Jimmy Page. The only thing is i would always have a backup at a gig, because light strings snap pretty easily (and this guitar comes with pretty light strings). You know, just in case The Hardware, after 2 months of playing, is seemingly fine. You get what you pay for. Trust me. // 10

Overall Impression: Seriously, the only downside is that it costs a ton of money. But I got a deal so that I got a free Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker with it so I sold that for 400 dollars and used it to pay off part of the guitar. It's a masterpiece. This guitar is staying around my house for a long time. // 10

1968 Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: My Gibson Les Paul Standard was made in 2004, has 22 frets, finished in Cherry Sunburst, nickle hardware, Burstbucker pickups, rosewood fretboard, body and neck made of mahogany, 3 way tone selector. Guitar came with hard case, scratch plate in the case, manual, size 10 stings. // 8

Sound: The Les Paul Standard give a very rich warm tone, fantastic with distort, sounds really smooth with the clean channel, but if you play country music I think you would want a sharper sound. When I play this with the band, it just blows me away with the sound, there is so much warmth and richness sound. But because I play mostly rock this guitar suits me well, even tho I play some blues you would propally want a Fender Strat for a bluesy tone. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's setup fantastic, intonation, action ect all perfect. The fretboard was a diffrent story, because it had been in a shop for a while and not used the wood was dryed out a bit, so I has to apply some lemon oil to it, good as new after. The finish even though it's the best finish I have ever seen, it is easly dammaged, you can dent the lacquer easyer then most guitars (have you ever seen a Gibson with out a few small dents? I know I haven't). // 8

Reliability & Durability: The guitar would easly withstand live playing, just watch the finish. The hardware is top quality and might even out live me (if you take care if it). I highly recommend that you get strap locks for it. The strap buttons are too small on the Les Paul and with out a doubt come off when playing live. I would still allways gig with a back up (in my case a west field Les Paul as back up). // 8

Overall Impression: The guitar was very pricy and left me a bit low on cash (I am only 17 so it took me a while to save). I don't regret buying this guitar one bit, it attracts a lot of attention and that feels great when people come to watch you. I would only recommend this guitar to some one who has been playing for a few years and has a great intrest in playing guitar, when I bought this I was surrounded by experenced players (they must have 10+ years of playing while I only have 4 years) so I had to play my best so they didnt think "why should he have a Gibson, has crap!" But I gave it my all with some of my own material and a bit of Hendrix and I end of have a small audience around me. But back to the guitar side! I have owned the guitar for 5 months and its allready got a small dent in the body (it's small and no one ever sees it) and a small dent in the head stock then again its nothing major they are tiny. The guitar feels great when I play it, it's solid, well set up and lives up to the Gibson name. The one thing I hate about this guitar is the price. Ah man, I hated handing over 1400 pounds over (I am sure some of it is just for the name). But I love this guitar over all. // 8

1968 Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: Gibsonguy64, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar is a Les Paul Standard Heritage cherry sunburst finish. With a three way toggle swith and 2 tone and volume knobs. It has two brand new burstbuckers and humbuckers on it. The neck is made out of mohogandy wood and it has pearl inlays in it. It has a tune o matic stop bar bridge and Gibson double deluxe tuners. It comes with a black reptile hard shell case with blue interior. // 10

Sound: I play any think from blues to rock. This guitar can have high pitch for the rock and deep tone for blues. I have a Marshall Mode Four 350 and I run too many effects to name threw it. It has very thick rich tone to. This guitar gives me little to no feed back at all. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was in perfect condition when I bought it. The strings lasted me 7 months and there were no flaws in the guitar at all! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood 10 months of having the shit kicked out of it. No dents very few pick scratchs. I could definatly depend on it. I haven't taken it too a gig yet but when I do I will have no worrys about it performance. // 10

Overall Impression: Me and my band r a punk band and it definatly fits the kind of music that we play. I have been playing 7 years now and I own an SG Standard a Fender Strat and a Kramer and a Washburn and a Jackson and this is my best guitar by far! I would by it again if n e thing ever happened to it. I love everything about this guitar and the one thing I wish it had was a whammy bar but I'll get that later! // 10

1968 Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: A&R Guitar Shop

Features: The guitar is a '68 Gibson Les Paul Standard. I paid 2,110 bucks on the thing! It's made in America, it has Grover tuners, mahagony neck, 3 layers of ash wood on the body. It has a single cut-away on the left, and has the same amount of frets as a normal acoustic guitar. Instead of dotted frets, it has clam shells on it. It came with a case, a strap, and a cord. // 8

Sound: It has good "metal" noises, distorts very nicely. I use a small Marshall amp that can simply amplify and distort it. It's best used on a "5" setting volume, and a 8 setting tone. It has full sound, it can practiccaly make any noise, except the noise a whammy bar makes. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It was obviously made nicely, with the 2 pickups set up nicely. I have no opinion, though. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I use it in my band "GuessWork", I play live in our city park, and I've had it since I was 12. It seems the pickups will last another 25 years or so, after a while though, the back is getting kind of torn, but not much. It's in good condition. // 6

Overall Impression: I've been playing it since I was 12 in 1972! I actually didn't want to, my older brother had threatened me that if I didn't play guitar, he'd beat me up! All I know is it the best quality one I have ever seen! // 10

1968 Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: My LP was made in 2002 in the USA. It has a Heritage sunburst finish, flamed maple top, mahogany body, slim 60's style mahogany neck, cream-bound rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. It has a tune-o-matic bridge, passive Gibson burstbucker pro pickups, one in the front one in the back. Two volume knobs, and two tone knobs. A volume and tone knob for each pickup. It came with a hardshell case. // 10

Sound: I play mostly 80's hard rock, metal, and a little blues. With my Les Paul and Marshall Dsl401 combo amp I get the perfect sound for each style. Before I was using a MT-2 Boss Metal Zone with my Ibanez Strat but the addition of the Les Paul has made it useless due to its hot humbuckers. Cranked all the way up it has a nice chunky sound and awesome distortion. The bottom end on this thing is one of a kind due to its body shape. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything was perfect. When I got it the action was perfect, nice and low, and the pickups were set perfect. I looked over this thing for about 45 minutes before I even played it and I found no cosmetic or hardware flaws. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I havn't gigged with it yet but the hardware looks like it would last centuries. My strap seems to slip off the strap bottoms often. I would go on stage with my Les Paul and only my Les Paul, no need for a backup the way this thing is made. I've played it for many long hours, and the finish is just as good as it looked when I first got it. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for almost two years, many hours a day and I wanted to get a better quality guitar. Without a doubt it is the best instrument ever made. It is the best match for every style I play, I can get any sound out of it, from heavy distortion to slightly distorted blues, it has it all. If it were stolen I would go crazy and buy another. LoL. I love its appearance and sound. Not to mention its easy playability. It was between a Jackson Soloist and Les Paul, the LP just plainly out performed the Jackson. Other than I wish it had a dancing holographic Jerry Garcia botton theres nothing I wish it had. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Grace Potter Signature Flying V 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014