Buckethead Signature Les Paul Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Buckethead Signature Les Paul
It is VERY unique, both in looks and in construction. It is a pleasure to behold, hold, and play.
 9.7
 8.3
reviews (2) pictures (3) 61 comments vote for this gear:
Buckethead Signature Les Paul Reviewed by: Rorshamandias, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: The Music Zoo

Features: I can sit here and type out all the specs for you about this 2010 beauty, or you can get LITERALLY every single detail about the guitar straight from the horse's mouth here. As you can see, it is VERY unique, both in looks and in construction. It is a pleasure to behold, hold, and play. // 10

Sound: Like most of my fellow guitarists, when buying a guitar, I play my best licks from all kinds of genres. Well let me tell you, this baby can do it all. From blues and R&B, to rock and metal. You can get a wide selection of tones you can choose from mostly because of the coil-tap option this guitar offers. You won't get any authentic Tele or Strat tones, but you will get something very similar. Neck Pickup: Gibson Ceramic 496R - Very warm sound, and great for blues, soul, and some lo-fi shredding. In my opinion it sounds like a lot of Bridge pickups on some guitars, but a tad warmer. When you coil tap it, it sounds almost Strat-like, but not really, and it's not really HOT enough for that sharp Tele-tone. It's more of a diminished, airy version of this pickup un-tapped. Still amazing and very useful for songwriting though. Bridge Pickup: Gibson Ceramic 500T - Perhaps the hottest passive pickup I've ever heard. Very hot, and almost face-melting. My words can do it no justice. Amazing for rock and metal. It can get a bit too loud and even give some feedback, depending on your gain and volume levels, but that's what the volume control is for. Coil-tapped, sounds very close to being tele-like, but not quite, since it has a bit more presence to it's sound. Both Pickups - Very rich sounding. You really can hear the low, mid, and high ends of the pickups when they are activated together. They work very nicely together. Very in your face sounding too. Killswitches - One on the upper bout, one right by the tone control. Both are very responsive and seem durable enough. Great for those odd, robotic melodies. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was PERFECT! Came with 10's. Very amazing for big hands like mine. It might not be easy to shred on this guitar if you play average sized Les Paul necks because their necks are considerably smaller. This neck is more like a chunkier SG neck. Pickups were very adjusted. The finish of the guitar itself was flawless. It has a very minimalistic yet quirky-futuristic look to it. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar does seem very durable. The hardware, strap-locks, and finish looks tough enough to last. Quick story: I was practicing some songs while standing up and playing, and hit the tip of the headstock on one of my walls (pretty hard, actually). Long story short, my wall has the dent, and the headstock IS IN PERFECT CONDITION. This has happened once more, and bore the same result. So that's saying something. However, my only qualm is that I'm scared of taking this guitar out for a gig or a practice. This guitar is my most expensive guitar, it's supposedly going up in value, and it is just so damn perfect for me and my style, that if anything were to happen to it, I'd go nuts. Is it me or am I just paranoid? // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 7 years. I play mostly rock, blues, metal, and I'm starting to get into Jazz. This guitar is very reliable and delivers amazingly for all those genres. I own a Fender American and Squier Strat, so yea, this is my battle ax. I had 3 other guitars, but I sold them all to make-up the cash to buy this bad boy. If this guitar were stolen, like I said, I'd go nuts, but I would defiantly look into trying to buy another (depending on price and availability). It's a bit heavy and big to maneuver with, but I guess you could look at it as a back-workout, and I personally got use to it. I bought this guitar because I have big hands and needed a guitar with that Les Paul tone, but that would work for my hands, and this guitar is perfect for that. I am truly in love with every feature of this guitar. If I would change anything about it, I guess I would make it have a different look to it instead of just white, but this isn't too bad either. // 10

Buckethead Signature Les Paul Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Features: -Made in USA in 2011 -24 Frets -Maple Top -Chambered Mahogany body, Mahogany neck -Satin White, Sealed in Nitrocellulose, with a Satin Surface Texture -Oversized 27" Les Paul Body -Tune-O-Matic Bridge -1 Volume Knob, 1 Tone Knob/Coil Tap, 2 Red Killswitch's and 1 3 way toggle -Gibson 500T (Ceramic) in Bridge, Gibson 496R (Ceramic) in Neck -Schaller Locking Keystone Tuners -Came with Gibson Buckethead Hardshell Case // 10

Sound: -I play lot's of 80's hard rock/hair kinda stuff (think Van Halen, Tesla, Kiss, Mr. Big, lots of NWOBHM etc.) and obviously Buckethead stuff. But it plays perfectly for what I want, you can get a really good Randy Rhoads kinda tone out of it too. -I use 2 amps, a 1986 Marshall JCM800 2204, and a Fender Supersonic. My pedalboard consists of an MXR Dyna Comp, Ibanez Jemini OD/Distortion, DOD Flanger, MXR Black Label Chorus, and MXR Carbon Copy Delay -Not noisy AT ALL, only is it noisy when I boost distortion with more distortion from the Jemini. The sound is very Rich and Full, very Bright, kinda hard to explain, but it sounds great, a lot like some of the sounds Bucket's known for having (Think Soothsayer, Lebron, Lebrontron, Jordan etc.) through the JCM800 -With this guitar you have endless variety, especially with the added killswitches! They're extremely fun to play around with and also add something to throw in at shows to grab the audiences attention and make them go "What was that?" and the coil tap is fun to mess with to, especially if your playing something like Maiden. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: For me the set up was perfect, I love the way Gibson sets up they're guitars out of the factory I've never really had to adjust a Gibson guitar unless it was used and messed with // 10

Reliability & Durability: -I'm not completely sure if it will withstand live playing yet, I haven't tried it yet, but I think it will because the few times I've bumped into something, its been unaffected, no dent, no chip, didn't even come outta tune. -I believe it will. -So far they've been solid enough, still gotta throw on some strap locks though. -I still say ALWAYS have a back up but I think that yes I could depend on it to last a whole show. -I think the finish will manage to stay good for a long time, being that its unlike most Gibson finishes. It just seems like it'l last. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said I play lots of 80's hard rock/hair and NWOBHM, and its a great match. I've been playing for quite a while and I own a 2001 1960 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson Flying V, Late 90's Gibson SG, a homeade goldtop replica with Dimarzio's, and a Dean Dime Razorback Cemetery Gates model. This Buckethead model is a great mix of all my guitars, besides the whammy on the Dean. If it were lost or stolen I would be pissed, I would definitely buy another though given the chance, even though there are so few of them. I love everything about this guitar, favorite feature is the sound (duh) and next to that killswitches are extremely fun. I didn't compare it to any other products, I just went in knowing what I wanted and when I saw it I had that instinct that says "That's the one." Highly recommended to anyone who can afford it and likes any sort of rock style of music. I'd give it a 10 in my opinion, but since I know that many may argue with me on that I'll give it a 9. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9.1 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014