EDS-1275 Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: EDS-1275
Originally introduced as a hollowbody doubleneck model in 1958, the EDS-1275 assumed its more familiar SG-style body shape in 1962.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 9.3
 9.5
reviews (2) 27 comments vote for this gear:
EDS-1275 Reviewed by: K!!LsWiTcH, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musiciansfriend.com

Features: The features on this guitar are just great. It features a mahogany wood body and maple necks, rosewood 20-fret fingerboards, solid maple necks, Vintage Gibson tuners, 3-way selector, and a tune-o-matic bridge. The Pickups are Gibson PAF's (Patent Applied For) humbuckers. To top it off, the EDS-1275's are handmade in the Gibson Custom Shop in Tennessee. // 10

Sound: I play this guitar through Fender Frontman amps w/ and w/o effects. Both ways it sounds great. I play mostly rock and rock of differnet types and it's extremely suitable for any type. The best thing though is if you use the neck pickup it sounds very, how can I put this? Amazing and Smoke On The Water-ish. This guitar is perfect for anything. What I found very nice was that when I got the guitar, there was no unwanted buzz and just a very powerful sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything about the set-up of this guitar surprised me.Most guitars that I see people buying now come very poorly set-up. Bad finish, really poor action, and the way the bridge looks, it looks like a drunk set it up. But this guitar did not have any of these flaws. The Gibson guys really did a good job on this baby. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can and will survive lots of live playing. I play it all the time at home and every other gig I do I use this one. Never has anything gone wrong with it, very reliable. I can depend on this guitar and I have used it without a backup and everything went well. Everything about this Gibson was built to last. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and this guitar is just perfect for any type of rock. I've been playing quite a while and I have no regrets with this beautiful creation.What I love about this guitar is definitely the sound quality. It's just beautiful, whether it's w/ or w/o drive or effects. The only thing about it is the weight distribution. The necks are heavier than the body, but definitely nt worth it to not not buy this guitar because of that. If it was stolen I'd have to buy something else because of the price tag.Overall amazing peice of work, I really tip my hat to the folks at Gibson for this one. // 8

EDS-1275 Reviewed by: Stratowagen90, on november 09, 2012

Features: In May I picked up the Led Zeppelin double-disc DVD with alot some concerts live. I had never realized Jimmy Page had played Stairway to Heaven live with a Double-Neck, I'm not even sure if thats how he did it in the studio. But man, this/these Guitar(s) do(es) not joke at all. A Switch for the Neck and rhythm are present by a picture, and the neck selector is what makes this Double-Neck really neat. Choose the 6-String to be on, or maybe the 12-String. Hell you can have them both on at the same time. Cool Stuff! The Double-Neck I got was the Custom Model. So it was a little more pricey than the Maroon Coloured similar, but well well well worth the money, thats for sure. With two Gibson Gold Plated Humbuckers on each Guitar/Neck(?) it benefits by the sound. // 10

Sound: I play the blues, some metal/hard rock, and mostly classic rock with Led Zeppelin being a great inspiration as well as Pink Floyd and Van Halen. It plays very well with my music. I use a Marshall Slant Cab and Header Half Stack and use mostly Boss pedals. The pedals include a phase shifter, standard overdrive, metal zone, blues Drive, acoustic simulator, super chorus, and a flanger. All sound superb except for the Metal Zone, it tends to "Squeal" if turned up too loud, but only if its on the neck humbucker, other than that its all excellent. But the Guitar without any effects sounds ambient, practically amazing. The 6-String plays well as does the 12-String, to all Rhythm Guitarists as myself out there, this 12-String is a Chords best friend. Great great sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Practically all Gibsons are Handmade and as this one was from its Custom Shop, so I would think extra care and construction took place in the factory as well as the people who delivered it. (It was ordered.) I have yet to find one flaw, honestly, there is literally nothing wrong with this Guitar. The Humbucks are set in the right place, very firm where they sit. The Custom finish of this Guitar compliments the Player and the sound as well. My favorite Guitar I have. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played this live. And before this one I used a Gibson SG, good guitar, but this one? Without a doubt, better. I have a feeling that this Guitar as well as its hardware will last a vast amount of years to come. But one thing however bothered me when I played it standing up for the first time. The Strap Buttons are really small, I had to replace them with larger locking Strap Buttons, now it fits like a glove. I always bring a back-up Guitar with me no matter what. Whether it be someone handling the equipment shitty then drop something, or maybe even my care-less ass drops it. I could'nt tell you how much this Guitar could with-stand seeing how I haven't dropped it yet and hopefully I wont. But its nothing against the Guitar with me bringing a spare, thats just me being paranoid. // 8

Overall Impression: Over all, I think this guitar would fit most styles of music because of its sound quality and playability. Its definitely worth paying for. But if you happen to not have the Bill Gates pocket change to buy this guitar, go ahead and pick-up the Epiphone one. I have used many Epiphones in the past and have worked and sounded great, lots of stereotypes on Epiphone though. Seeing how its related to the theory of Squier being to Fender as Epiphone is to Gibson. People, the only difference is that the Gibson models are hand made, and the Epiphones are just made quicker by machine, nothing wrong. Get this Guitar! // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9.1 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014