Epoch LP Review

5.8
 6.6
reviews (4) 42 comments vote for this gear:
Epoch LP Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made in 2007, the combination of joined greats, has, unfortunately proved to be an overall dissapointment from the U.S.A. We were relieved to discover it has the Standard Gibson 22 frets in order that we can bend to that crucial e note and despite it's dissapointments, it looks as lush as most Standard Gibson guitars, with a daring dark mahogany glossy sheen. What is one of the most outstanding features is it's single cutaway; instead of having some measly '60s 'curve around the edges' look, the cutaway is sharp and to a Slash-like flavour. Unfortunatly, it's cheap bridge is manufacturered to an incorrect angle, and therefore needs setting up, but the price is worth it. The exciting humbuckers and 3-way pickup selector are what did it for us, though; the layout and inset for them is wonderful, and unlike most single pickups, they do not magnetise metal plectrums. Overall, Appearance-wise, we think it is a mediocre level guitar, but good quality for money. // 8

Sound: Our preffered playing style is metal, but often this guitar struggles to cope with heavy, rapid, palm muting, and tapping comes up rusty due to the rushed fret divides. Using it with a Standard Gisbon-Baldwin practice amplifier that can be purchased with the guitar, distortion is either full on scratchy sound or completely clean; anywhere in between gives an unsure 'which way should I go' effect and brings out low quality sound. With the bass pickup in action, often that Fender Telecaster sound comes in, and on full treble-gain combination, vibratos turn out sometimes with an octave8 effect, increasing that, metal, scratchy sound whether that is your preference or not. // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: As mentioned earlier, the setup is incorrect and needs fixing, but it wont make any large holes in your wallet. The pickups are fine and good quality in comparison with the rest of the guitar, but they could use a better quality material casing them. The nut is made of some sort of plastic, that seemed to be glued on and only just seems to fit the strings in the gaps for them to fit into. Dissapointingly, though, unlike most Les Paul's, the neck is bolted on, as if it were a Fender Stratocaster. The traditional Les Paul style is at a low without its beautiful smooth glued on setup. Thankfully though, a guitar manufacturer has finally made a guitar with a jack socket that endures through a drop on the ground; it has obviously had some effort and thought into it, whearas most guitar just seem to have a 'slap it on' makeshift kind of jack, that seems to break so easily. // 6

Reliability & Durability: As far as Live playing is concerned, it's lasted through three gigs and still going as if new. Our largest future worry is the pickup selector, because the underside is very exposed under the wood and it could within about 4/5 years, wear out. The finish is great and is flawless; its beautiful look is unbeatable for a guitar of this price. But we wish we could say that about the strap buttons, that seem to revolve constantly and without superglue, your strap is going to get twisted. Overall, for gigs, it's reliable, and a backup isn't needed (but it would be wise to bring a couple of spare leads). // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, it is a great entry level guitar for those Who are into that screamo-metal sound and wanabbe slashes. We would reccomend a classic crybaby wah and micro cube amp to complete the package for the ultimate metalhead rocker with a low budget. Favourite? It has to be the pickups and the cutaway, they are lush along with the angleic fininsh and colour. Largest Flaw has to be the bridge. A decent guitar manufacturer should really at least try to make every guitar perfectly set up. To have a faulty bridge when it's Brand New is very dissapointing. Despite this, it is a great Les Paul Copy in looks and reliability, but we wish we could say the same about the sound and technical quality. // 7

Epoch LP Reviewed by: H, Omitted, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is a Les Paul style guitar that Gibson made in cooperation with Baldwin for beginners. It has a rosewood fretboard with 22 frets on it, 2 original humbuckers, a tune-o-matic bridge, two knobs (one volume and one tone), and a pickup selector switch that can go to rhythm (pickup close to neck), treble (pickup close to bridge) or you can leave the Switch in the middle and have sound coming from both pickups. It also came with a gig bag, 10 ft. cord, tuner, picks, and an instructional CD. // 8

Sound: I've been playing guitar loud and proud for damn near 3 years. I play mainly hard rock/metal, basically whatever I want to play I play. I use a Crate GTX-65 amplifier with my guitars. This guitar's sound has yet to impress me. It sounded great after my trip to a luthier (more on that story below). // 5

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the thing, one pickup was set way too high while the other was too low. That was the easiest adjustment I could make to this guitar. I tried tuning it and strings B, G, and D would not tune up. The sounds they made were too twangy. Then when I plugged it in, no sound came out. I even turned the volume all the way up on my amp and this guitar, Nothing. I took it to a luthier and found out that it needed re-soldering and a neck adjustment. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I have yet to do a show or record with this guitar, and I sure hope that what the luthier did on the repairs took. Sure it is a cheap guitar but it looks nice, so if it doesn't play then it can be used for a wall decoration or whatever comes to your imagination. Get a better gig bag and a better strap than what came with it. // 5

Overall Impression: Something I wish I asked before I bought this? Yeah, does it work? A better one would be should beginners fork out 100 dollars for this? I don't think so unless they want to take it to a specialist first. I love it's looks and it's sound after all the problems were taken care of. However I wish it had an EMG 81/85 combo and a Floyd Rose tremolo. But still, it looks nice just the same and I treat my guitars with respect even if they're cheapos so if this were stolen I'd curbstomp the guy who did it. // 6

Purchased from: Target

Features: It was probably made in 2006 or 2007. I was made in China and it has 21 frets not sure whether they are jumbo or what. It has a rosewood neck and a maple neck. It also probably has chaper woods in there too. It is a solid laminated top, but it is not carved. IT only comes in black. It is like a Les Paul Copy. The bridge is a wraparound bridge like on one of the older Les Pauls. It has a volume, a tone, and a 3 way selector all near the bridge pickup. The stock pickups are chorme covered. It came with a gig bag, dvd, strap, tuner, cable, and picks. They are okay. // 7

Sound: I play a lot of different styles of rock. Mostly play alternative, punk, pop, and occasionally metal and classic rock. I play it through a First Act practise amp so I cannot judge the sound too much. It has feedback even with the humbuckers. It can play mostly clean and and light distortion. It doesnt't have the overdrive I expected. With a lot of tone the guitar sounds kinda glassy and Strat like. The guitar can't handle harmonics or tapping and has little sustain. // 4

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was very low and had a lot of buzzing. The intonation is pretty good but you can't really adjust it without adjusting the action. The pickups were set okay but the neck pickup does not produce any more sound. If I flick the three way to rhythm it turns off the sound. The tuning pegs seemed to be very loose. The pickup selector was very noisy. I did not want to adjust anything because, I am only 12 and I do not know how to solder. If you tune to dropped d the guitar was buzz like crazy. It stays in tune fine for at least 2 hours if you don't bend 3 semitones. // 2

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could withstand Live playing if you don't hit it with a hammer or light it on fire. However I doubt anyone would use this for Live playing.The strap button on the top is a little odd. It does not fit like it should. As I said before, I would gig this without a backup if the sound was better. I think this guitar would be a great backup though. Just add Seymour Duncans and Grovers. The finish is okay. I think it could last for at least a year more. The guitar is average. // 3

Overall Impression: I play a lot of every style of music except for jazz, blues, and country. I play alternative, rock, classic rock, powerpop, metal, hard rock, and pop rock. I have been playing for less than a year. I also own a First Act electric guitar, and a practice amp. I wigh I asked if I could buy another guitar. If it were stolen/lost, I would save up and either buy And Epiphone Les Paul or a Fender Strat both around $400. I love the Les Paul shape. I hate lots of things. I don't have a favorite feature. I didn't compare it to anthing else. I wish I had a Marshall, Line 6, or Fender 15W combo because I Live in an apartment. I also wish I had a hard case and a stand. I bought this guitar and the next day I found it they had a sale the day after I bought it. If you want this guitar wait alitlle and seee if they lower the price. // 5

Purchased from: Big Lots

Features: Made in 2005, in China. First off, this guitar is very, very good looking. If the hardware doesn't impress you, the looks will. It has the Gibson Standard for 22 frets, and the back of the neck is finished like the body. It has two knobs, one tone and one volume. A 3-way Treble/Rhythm selector Switch. The finish is a very glossy black, with a cream stripe around the front. It has a rosewood fingerboard and a maple neck. It has two "classic" humbuckers that mimick the real '57 Gibson humbuckers. It has a wrap around tailpiece that is like that of earlier Les Pauls. Overall a very heavy, solid, and good-looking guitar. It includes gig bag, tuner, 10 ft. cord, picks, replacement strings, and an instructional DVD. // 8

Sound: I currently do not have an amp, but I ran it through my friends Fender Super Champ amp and the sound blew me away. For $75, it gives you a rich, warm tone on the rhythm setting. he has a Gibson SG and he said it sounded great great, for the price of course. There was a little bit of buzzing, but when you started playing it went away. When I switched it to Treble, there was a lot of distortion, even on the clean channel. It is perfect for what I play, a bit of Metallica, and even the Outlaws sounded close on this guitar. It suitsmy style, but that's only because I don't have one. I am just a beginner, but I've toyed with Fenders and Gibsons so I know stuff about what it is supposed to be like. Full sound, again for the price, and not as bad as some other guitars out there. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Out of the box, the finish was flawless. The action needed a little bit of adjusting, but with the wrap-around tail piece this was fixed in seconds. Perfect for playing out of the box, you just need to tune it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This has withstood Live playing when my friend and I played Iron Man at our School Battle of the Bands. We used the theater's amps though, so they were set up already. We ended up winning $100 but the judges complained that there was too much feedback when I wasn't playing, and during open notes there was a lot of buzzing. Again though, you get what you pay for. // 6

Overall Impression: If it was lost or stolen I'd kill the guy Who stole it then go buy an Epiphone or something. I hate the treble feature, there is WAY too much distortion, although this is an advantage whenever I play Master of Puppets, but that's about it. My favorite thing about it is the way it looks. If it doesn't sound good, you could use it as wall decoration. I wish it came with an amp. This is my first guitar, other than my 5 guitar hero controllers. It plays whatever I want because I don't have an amp. But overall it is a good buy. // 6

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Standard '60s 9.6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014