Explorer '76 Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Explorer '76
The Gibson Explorer '76 was made in 1976 (of course!) in the US. It has the famous shape used by many rock and metal guitarists.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (4) 38 comments vote for this gear:
Explorer '76 Reviewed by: Poglia, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 850

Purchased from: An Italian online shop

Features: The Gibson Explorer '76 was made in 1976 (of course!) in the US. It has the famous shape used by many rock and metal guitarists (Jackson used that shape for their Kelly models too). Here there are the features: Body: Mahogany Neck/Profile: Mahogany/Rounded Fingerboard/Inlay: Rosewood/Dot Scale/Nut Width: 243/4"/111/16" Bridge: Tune-o-matic Hardware: chrome Pickups: 496R and 500T, both humbucker Controls: two volume, one tone, three-way Switch Strings: Brite Wires .009-.042 It also came with a very good hard case. The features are amazing, the only thing I don't like is the fact that the highest frets (from 19 to 22) are hard to reach. // 9

Sound: The Explorer suits my style perfectly. I play hard rock and metal (mainly power metal) and this guitar is perfect. Very rich, powerful and full sound, no noise at all, pinch harmonics are easy to do and feedbacks comes only when you want. I use it on a Roland Cube 60 and it sounds good on all settings, even on the clean channel. Some people say that the Explorer pickups have a bad clean sound, but it's not true. I actually like it a lot. You can play everything with this guitar. I'd give 10, but I don't like so much the sound of the neck pickup. The bridge one is amazing though, I'll never change it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was setup perfectly. The action was a bit high, but still comfortable. The strings were a lot better than I expected, and very easy to bend. One of the pickups was moving a little, but it's an easy thing to fix. Other than this, all stuffs were setup properly: looks like a luthier did his best before shipping. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is rock solid, including the strap buttons, and will lasts for years. The hardware is very well made, it's Gibson afterall. I have a Jackson RR3 too but I'd definitely play live with the Explorer without the Jackson as backup. I'm looking forward to start a band and I'm sure the Explorer will be my main guitar for years, even if I become famous. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly metal (Edguy, Avantasia, Sentenced, Sonata Arctica, Hammerfall) and a bit of hard rock. I have been playing for 3 years and I have a Jackson RR3 plus two cheap guitars I never use. The Jackson is good, but not good as the Explorer. I'd definitely buy it again if stolen or lost. It's a perfect guitar, except for the neck pickup and the very last frets that are hard to reach, but they are not a problem for me: I always use the bridge one and I'm a rhythm player and don't need the 22th fret. // 9

Explorer '76 Reviewed by: ne14t, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 1484

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

Features: My Explorer is an ebony 1976 reissue, made in Nashville in late 2010. It has 22 frets, 24.75" scale with medium/jumbo nickel/silver alloy fret wire on a rosewood fretboard. Standard solid top, solid mahogany body, no maple cap, no veneers just plain jane finish that means serious business. The neck is also made out of Mahogany and is a hybrid between the classic 50's style neck and the more modern 60's neck its very slim tapered rounded neck that is a dream to play, I honestly haven't felt another neck like it. Its got an ebony nitro finish to it, standard Gibons finish nothing too special, it has had a long lasting mirror finish to it and has required little maintaining to keep it that way. It comes with a fancy shiny tune-o-matic bridge and stopbar tailpiece and Grover mini tuners to keep her in tune and singing out long notes. The electronics are the standard Gibson passive electronics from the factory. The Explorer implements the 496R and 500T pickups, both of which are fairly high output pickups, the 500T and the Dirt Fingers are the two highest output pickups from Gibson. It has independent volume knobs for the pickups and a master tone knob for both, with the standard Gibson three way selector switch. Accessories included: Gibson Hard shell case. 8/10 - I would have been a little more impressed if the guitar came with more case candy then it did. I got nothing in the case with this guitar except a quality control check list and the Gibson tag. For $1500 they could have included a cheapo Gibson strap or something, also I never recieved the Free Gibson t-shirt I was promised when I purchased the guitar. // 8

Sound: The Explorer fits into the category of the Metal and Hard Rock that I play, the thin fast neck is extremely nice for shredding and the likes; however its not the greatest for chords as the lack of a neck to fill you hand is a little meh. I play this guitar through a Marshall Haze 15W class A tube amp, with a MXR fullbore metal, MXR OD and a Crybaby From Hell. It feeds these effects no problem. I am not 100% sure if its the guitar or my amp but it does have a bit of a dark tone to it, I feel this might be the V1 tube in my preamp. The bridge pickup can scream and I find can have a little too much gain at times, but for playing metal and hard rock its ok. Its certainly not like a Les Paul and can not cover as wide of a range of music but if you want a rock and roll powerhouse the Explorer should be on your list. 9/10 Aside from its lack of musical diversity this guitar can do everything I could have wanted from it. A future pickup change could probably further help it out. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: You may think I am lying but this guitar came setup from the factory PERFECTLY, aside from tuning it back up from it's travel it was a dream to play, sadly it's in need of a tune up but that was my fault when I was cleaning it up I had the bridge and tailpiece off and screwed up the settings. I couldn't find any flaws with the guitar I checked it thoroughly before I even accepted it, I had only put a deposit on it for them to bring it in as I specified I had extremely high standards it had to meet, I passed up on three other in store models because of dents or dings. The wood is matched extremely well the body and neck of the guitar resonate almost identically when tapped (yes this does matter) 10/10 I guess this is where spending the top dollar on a guitar comes in, as I took this out of the Gibson cardboard box, tuned it to Estandard and have been playing it ever since. 7 months down the road and its pretty much still like a new guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: + Will this guitar withstand live playing? YES + Does the hardware seem like it will last? YES + Are the strap buttons solid? YES + Can you depend on it? Would you use it on a gig without a backup? YES + Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? YES 10/10 I promise I will come back and comment if I find anything that makes my mind sway otherwise. But I have yet to be given any indication that this guitar could be a lemon. Its a Gibson and the quality is synonymous with the name, I am not a brand whore but I can certainly say there is a difference in quality between this guitar and a Epiphone Explorer, not saying the Epi wont be a quality guitar but its certainly not up to par with Gibson, that old saying "you get what you pay for" really came into play here. At first I was unsure if I wanted to spend that kind of money on a guitar but I am glad I did, I am confident this guitar will be around for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned I mostly play metal and hard rock and it fits the bill perfectly, I think Gibson advertises the guitar as "The most coveted powerhouses of screaming rock and roll" and there is no short comings to that statement at all, she screams and she LOVES screaming. I have been playing off and on for 12 years and the Explorer was my first purchase at a quality guitar, I have been through the standard MIK $200 guitars which did the trick for learning but it was time to step up and stand out. If this guitar was lost or stolen I would drink away my tears for a couple days, then try and find the bugger that stole it, and if all else fails I would buy a new one without hesitation. I love everything about it, it took me almost a year of mucking around with guitars to conclude what I wanted to purchase and it came down to the Explorer and a Les Paul, sadly the Les Paul I had my eye on was like three times as much so the Explorer came out on top. Now there are a couple things I do not like about the guitar. The biggest one is the strap button on the back of the guitar, I use a Planet Waves locking strap and it doesnt work too well on the guitar as you have to spin the strap around and it gets all twisty (I know thats a little anal retentive!) Lastly is the neck its a God send yet a pain at the same time, I love how it is for shredding but I dont like it too much for chords I wish it had a fatter neck to fill more of my hand (remedy is to buy a Les Paul to compliment the Explorer!) I KIND OF wish this guitar had a Floyd Rose and I am kind of glad it doesn't. Other then that I spent so long looking at guitars that I already knew what I was getting into. I would highly recommend this guitar to anyone, not only for playability but for some reason people are drawn to the body shape, I have seen plenty around so it seemed common place but most people that check out my guitar are like "WHOA! thats a cool shape" (other peoples insight on this?) heck even if ya have to get the Epi to save some coin it still looks freaking AWESOME! Rock On Good People! 9/10 Aside from what I mentioned in this section this guitar met all of my requirements and even surpassed some of them. I consider it my first real guitar purchase (infact it was my first with my own money) and I have no regrets at all and think I made a Stellar choice. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special Voodoo 9.2 Electric Guitars 06/09/2014