Explorer Pro Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Explorer Pro
Gibson USA's new X-plorer Pro updates one of Gibson's all-time classic electric solidbodies with a slightly smaller body and fancier appointments. The X-plorer Pro's body size makes for a comfortable, well-balanced fit with the player. Its body and neck binding, figured maple top and pearl block inlays give it an elegance unprecedented in the Explorer's 44-year-history.
 8.7
 9.6
 7.8
reviews (2) pictures (1) 55 comments vote for this gear:
Explorer Pro Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: I'm not too sure about the guitars features, except the pickups are Gibson ceramics, very hot, the neck pickup is perfect for clean, it's a solid body, mahogany, with a flamed top, Tune-O-Matic bridge, and a rosewood fingerboard. It looks awesome. // 9

Sound: I play lots of styles, classic rock, metal, shred, blues, and southern rock like Lynyrd Skynyrd. It suits everything perfectly. I play it through a Marshall MG100DFX. The neck pickup gets a real good blues/southern rock sound on clean, and on slight distortion, gets a great soft rock sound. The bridge pickup is great for everything, and sounds good wether your playing Van Halen, Pantera, Led Zeppelin or Allman Bros. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was low, but not so low it was bad. The pickups were great, no flaws at all, just the strings needed changing badly. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's very strong, I play live with it, the finish is staying put perfectly, all of it will last, I would definitly use it without backup, but I take my Ibanez RG350DX with me, for the floyd rose, but other wise I would rely fully on this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I've been playing 10 years, and I have owned a Gibson Les Paul Classic, an Ibanez RG350DX, a Paul Reed Smith Santana SE, and an Epiphone SG. if it were stolen, I'd have a breakdown and after I sold everything I own (which isn't much), I'd buy a new one for sure. The only bad thing about the guitar, is the fact it set me back a few thousand dollars, but it was all worth it, I'd rather have this over my old LP, or my PRS. It's awesome, buy it! // 10

Explorer Pro Reviewed by: Explorerpro, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 1300

Purchased from: Bjoernholt Musik

Features: It was made in January 2007 in Nashville Tennessee. It has 22 Rosewood Jumbo Frets with Dot inlays. The body is mahogany and so is the neck. Mine has a flamed top. Of course it has an Explorer body style but it is 10% smaller. Tune-O-Matic bridge. You also get a 3-way toggle, 1 tone and 2 volume. It has 2 Humbuckers. Bridge: Gibson 500T Neck: Gibson 496R. It comes with Standard Grover tuners. I bought it with a Gibson Case, a Konig & Meyer "Memphis 10" and a set of Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys. // 9

Sound: This guitar suit's everything! I play mostly Hard Rock and Metal. I use a Peavey Bandit 112 and a Roland Cube 60. It is a little noisy But not that much. It has a very full sound with the right strings. Again it can make any sound you want it to. It is also very good for tapping. Pinch Harmonics is as easy as pie in this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well set up besides the strings. The action was a little to high though. The pickup adjustment was perfect. It had a little dent on the headstock though. It has a AA Flame Maple top. I also forgot to mention that it also has Antique top binding. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I would play Live without a backup. This guitar will not break. It needs strap locks though. It feels like the finish will last forever. The strap buttons are very small. I am going to replace them with Dunlop Dual Design Strap loks. I am already replacing the the top hat knobs with speed knobs but that is just a matter of taste. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a perfect match for any style of music. It plays Hard Rock and Metal especially well though. I have been playing for 4 months and I also own an Epiphone G-400 Worn Brown. If this got stolen I would completely break down as I own the only one in Denmark and I had to Drive 3 hours to get to it. If I could buy another one I would. I love the shape! But I hate the Dot inlays. I wish it had Block inlays. I chose it because I was looking for something different and It was perfect! I wish it had another tone knob though. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune 7.1 Electric Guitars 08/15/2014