Faded Double Cut Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Faded Double Cut
Double Cut has a pair of single-coil P-90 pickups, like the original Les Paul Special, a '60s-style slim-taper mahogany neck, unbound rosewood fingerboard with dot inlays, and chrome-plated hardware.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.7
 Features: 9.5
 8.4
 8.1
 8.7
reviews (3) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Faded Double Cut Reviewed by: themutantcow, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: www.soundcontrol.co.uk

Features: Brand new model (late 2003), good quality Gibson USA guitar. Has 22 frets, 24 3/4 scale length fingerboard made with rosewood, on a mahogany neck/body. Nitro-laquer finish, the only issue with this is that if you do not maintain the body properly, the colour can start to fade (buy decent cleaning products). The body can scratch relatively easily, but I haven't had any problems with the body so far. Doublecutaway body allows for better reach when playing solos, without having to move the guitar to aggravating positions. The superb Tune-O-Matic bridge when combined with the deluxe machineheads means you will have no problems with keeping the guitar in tune. 2 tone 2 volume controls all in black top hat finishes. Sturdy white button tuner, never giong to fail to stay in place. Incredible P-90 pickups, give awesome string determination, give melodic sounds when played quietly, with an amazing biting sound when played more aggresively. All the guitar came with was a gib bag and couple of tools, but when the bag says Gibson USA, who cares? // 9

Sound: While experimenting with the guitar, I noticed the pick ups allowed for a great variety in sounds, playing some matchbox 20 intros on this guitar showed me it can pull off melodic styles, while playing NIN songs such as "Just Like You Imagined" made me realise this guitar can also cope with extremely loud, overdriven sounds. I use a Line 6 Spider II 30watt amp to practice at home, with a Zoom GFX-5 stomp box to run effects through the guitar, gives a great sound in a small room. When gigging I use the meatier Line 6 4X12 150watt cab and HD set owned by a club, although the sound style is no different, it proves the guitar can cope with larger amps and bigger venues. This guitar's strongest sound comes through a crunch setting, as the P-90s give it the bite it needs to get you noticed. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar, the pickups were raised a tiny bit high to fretting the 22nd on high E meant the string hit the top of the P-90, so I lowered the pick up down slightly, the body itself was fine, no warping or incorrect lengths anywhere, all the controls and tuner were all fitted perfectly. The only issue is that with all les pauls the strap nuts are tiny so strap locks are a must if you dont want to risk breaking the guitar. The finish was perfect, with the fade making the guitar look well played, without making it look damaged. // 6

Reliability & Durability: PLaying live at clubs and mini events has shown me this guitar can survive live playing with ease as long as strap locks are used! All the hardware hasnt given me any issues as yet, and alothough I cant say for definate, I wouldnt have thought ill have any troubles at all. I always take my Fender Strat as backup incase I drop the damn thing, but in terms of it breaking due to a fault, you can not go wrong with a Gibson USA guitar in my experience. The finish can be bleached if ill-maintained but that is not a problem if you look after your guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: Playing mainly NIN and classic rock live (weird I know) this guitar has no faults with either style and although some people may no see it as a match for either type, I truely believe this guitar is a great compliment to the genres. Zoom GFX-5, Line 6 amps and after playing for 3 years seriously, this guitar is the best I have ever owned. If I lost it, I would certainly get a new one, I can't imagine playing some songs without it. I'm very pleased with this guitar, I cannot fault except for the strap nuts, buy it now. // 9

Faded Double Cut Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: 22 frets, mahogany body, trans red finish, 2 p90s, tuneomatic bridge, 2 volume pots, 2 tone pots, gib deluxe machine heads. Oh yeah, and the pickup selector has a really satisfying click behind it. Nice. It has a shape not unlike a PRS if it ever had kids with a les paul. You get all the fatness you need like a les paul, but you have unhindered access to every single fret like an SG. Which is also quite nice. // 10

Sound: This is the perfect balance, enough meat without being harsh, nice balance between bass middle and treble frequencies on the pickups which distort well. It does clean just as well, nice and creamy while still keeping a distinct edge. If youve ever heard Razorlight, the two tones arent dissimilar to that. The variety of tones is fairly versatile, more so than a les paul which is a little brash, or a Strat which is a bit thin sometimes. It's an in the middle guitar, but in a good way. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup was incredible, but I had to sort out the intonation on two of the strings. Also at the highest fret, the high e string would get fretted over the neck p/up, so I had to lower that. I also seem to be having trouble getting the g string to stay in tune, but this could be because the guitar shopkeep couldnt restring a guitar to save his life. No offence, or anything. Other than that it was all quite funky. // 6

Reliability & Durability: There is no plastic finish over the body, like on a Strat or more traditional les paul, just sealed and stained wood, so it is quite easy to put superficial dents in it. This isnt such a big deal, and the guitar is built to be quite tough. The strap buttons are a little small, so be careful there. Other than that, this could probably survive a small nuclear war. // 8

Overall Impression: Hell Yeah. I play in a jazz rock Indie fusion band so I need a good balance between dirty and clean, plus I like having a slightly unusual guitar without it looking stupid. My amp is a Marshall Mg50, no effects, just the good ol boss tune pedal thingy. My other guitar is just a plain old Mexi Strat. If I didnt like the look of Jazzmasters or 72 Telecaster Deluxes so much, I could easily get away with just sticking these two for the long term future. // 8

Faded Double Cut Reviewed by: ervinski, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: eBay

Sound: I like the style of blues but mostly the rock on roll genre of Green Day especially their latest album, American Idiot, where the actual hardware of this guitar is used, i.e its hard rocking P-90 pickups which bring out that Green Day sound. The second guitarist actually uses this official guitar while playing. The sound completely varies from getting a smooth rich sound for solos to the hard rocking Green Day sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Unfortunaly the Gibson guitar isn't as good looking as any other Gibson guitars but it's really sound over style and I chose its sound. The pickups are quite loose, and the body is vunerable to damage. The guitar was in perfect condition when bought apart from a few dings. It doesn't go out of tune as much as other Gibsons and there has been no problems with the frets. The wood and size makes it much lighter than other Gibson's or Les Paul copies. // 6

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing as it is, when Green Day take it on tour, it still sounds as good as it was ever. The P-90 pickups will last a long time however the body doesn't seem that strong. // 6

Overall Impression: My overall impressions is great because it sounds exactly the same as the songs I like to play (Green Day) especially when being one of the actual guitars they use, it becomes a perfect match. Billie Joe uses exactly the same hardware on his guitar, just a different body. I've been playing for 3 years now and I own a Fender Strat. I wish I bought an official Gibson case with this guitar but they cost a bomb. If this was stolen, Id be completely gutted and due to it costing 400 I think buying something else it out of the question. I love the lightness, the fact that it's an actual Gibson and the Gibson sound as well as the green day sound. I don't like the body but the sound balances that out. My favourite feature of course are the P-90 pickups. The thing I wish it had was humbuckers on the bridge position fitted with Seymour Duncan Alcino II pickups exactly like Slash's. I wish I could get the Guitar legend's sound out of this guitar however its only fitted with P-90 single pickups. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9.1 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014