Faded V Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Faded V
It's back to the V-Factor future with the new Worn Cherry finish. It gives this classic but futuristic model the look of a well-worn, well-loved vintage instrument.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 8.7
 8.1
 8.8
 7.4
reviews (13) pictures (1) 69 comments vote for this gear:
Faded V Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Made at Gibson's Factory in Tennesse, this guitar features a fat 22 fret mahogany neck set into a mahogany body. Has faded satin finish which looks great and makes it look more expensive than it actually is. Grain of wood shows through really nicely which was much different to pictures I had seen on the internet. Comes with a fixed Tune-O-Matic Bridge which I found great for re-stringing, and cleaning up. Has 2 volume controls (1 for each Humbucker) and a tone conrol. On previous guitars I have found volume controls can sometimes create fuzz but none of that here, tuners are Gibson Green Key which are really solid and hold their tuning well enough for me. // 8

Sound: Haven't come accross a style of music this guitar can't cope very well with. I play lots of classic and progressive rock with some metal. The pickups can be tweaked to deliver huge drives or very clean tones according to your style. I use a Peavy Rage Practise amp, usually through a Boss distortion pedal but have used it in others as well and it sounds great. Pickups can be noisy when selecting the bridge pickup on clean tone but I'm sure that's as much down to the amp as the guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Only tested factory action briefly as I prefer to send all my guitars for set up very soon after buying them, but can't remember experiencing any major problems with it. I was suprise with how low the action was allowed to go before fret buzz came into play, it makes the neck a lot faster. Neck is really fat which is great for improved sustain and chords. Found access to higher frets a little resticting compared to a thru-neck but no more so than any other set necks I have played. As for fit and finish, I've heard some real horror stories, as with all Gibson's these days, which made me think very carefully about parting with my money, but when it arrived the fit and finish were pretty flawless, watch out for dodgy fret work. finish is really nice and can't think why it's so much cheaper than some of the other finishes this guitar is available in. Control knobs are a little cheap and I found they can sometimes come off without much persuasion. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstood some live outings, which is a relief as it is kind of the whole point of it! Hardware seems solid as do the strap buttons, however I wasn't too impressed with the positioning of the neck strap button as I found it resticted access to the upper frets when a strap was fitted. I have been able to depend on it for almost a year now and it should hopefully last a good deal longer yet. Finish seems good enough to last, not that it's important with this finish. // 9

Overall Impression: When I began playing guitar a few years ago, I always dreamed of being able to own a Gibson Flying V but was worried about the high price, and wasn't prepared to settle for an imitation or a Korean made Epiphone V. When I found this guitar I was understandably very exited and bought it very quickly. I'd read some pretty average reviews but had played cheaper Epiphone models and was more than happy with sound and construction of them. Compared to Epiphone Vs, this has much better pick ups and a much nicer finish, also has the added bonus of haveing Gibson on the amazing headstock, however it isn't as respected as other models mainly as it is from the faded series and after the musicmaker, is the second cheapest Gibson. Don't buy one if you only intend to practise on it as playing sitting down can be very awkward, however if you want great sound and presence on stage, on a budget, than I've played no better guitar. // 10

Faded V Reviewed by: gpderek09, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made sometime before 2003 because it has the cresent moon inlays which really complement the looks of the guitar. Here are the rest of the feaures. BODY Species: Mahogany NECK Species: Mahogany Profile: Rounded Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.800" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.850" Heel Length: 0.625" Neck Joint Location: 17th fret FINGERBOARD Species: Ebony Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.062" Nut Width: 111/16" Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Crescent Moon HARDWARE Plating Finish: Chrome Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Black with silver insert Tuners: Green Key ELECTRONICS Neck Pickup: 496R ceramic magnet humbucker Bridge Pickup: 500T ceramic magnet humbucker Controls: Two volume, one tone, three-way Switch tures. // 10

Sound: This guitar is awsum. Sounds worth more than wut i paid. I play every thing from blink 182 to pantera to nirvana. This fits it all with just a twist of the distortion knob. (boss ds-1[also an awsum pedal]) that then a Fender Stage 160, I dont use any FX and this guitar is only nosiy with the distortion and tone way up. I play alot of grunge, punk rock, and metal. This guitar handels all perfectly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came perfeclty from the shop. Nothing was wrong wiith it. The action is perfect, every thing came perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will sertinly with stand live playing as long as I get a new strap. Once the strap fell and the the guitar dropped on the cement(in the garage). And 2 tuners busted off and the tone knob shaterd. i took it back to sound vibes and they fixed everying thing up good as new and put strap locks on there for me. So now I think its all good to go. The finish came faded and it seems like it will last. The hard where is still fine from the drop and im sure I can depend on it w/o a back up at a gig but i'd take my ESP n e ways for variety. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar is a perfect match for every thing i play. All genres of rock. Grunge metal industrial punk punkrock, this guitar rules. I've been playin a little while longer than a year now and this is my favorite guitar yet. This guitars got every thing it needs. If it were stolen or lost I'd want another one but im poor and ghetto and i wouldn't have enough money to get a new one so I watch over this guitar every second I can. This thing rules. // 10

Purchased from: N/A

Features: This guitar was made in 2004 in USA it is stock (refer to Gibson site for spec) apart from adding pick up surrounds as it looked a little cheap the way the pick ups come through the scratchplate, this has improved the look a lot. I may change the tuners at a later date. Gig bag (replaced with hardshell case) good accessory pack, strap, excellent quality lead, polish, cleaning cloth, stringwinder and picks. // 8

Sound: This guitar is great for what I play which is rock and blues. I am using this through a Marshall TSL122 100 watt combo without effects as I play mostly rythmn. This guitar has a good range which varies from very hot rock using the 500T at the bridge to nice warm mellow bluesy tones using the 496R at the neck. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up nicely but I have had it set up by a tech which has made a bigger improvement. Pickups were adjusted ok but again more tweaking has made it better. The only flaw I could find was on the bottom of the fretboard where some stain was missing but other than that it was fine. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will withstand playing live, the combination of this with my amp is awesome. The hardware seems fine only time will tell. Strap buttons are solid but add sraploks. I would depend on this guitar but would never gig without a backup. The finish is good and it looks cool faded but already it is starting to Shine where it rubs and where my hand rests but that is not an issue. But, as this has no laquer take extra care as this will not take any knocks I already have a few small dings on it. // 8

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues so this is a great match. I also own an Epiphone Explorer with Korina finish this is another nice guitar but have recently added Gibson 500T and 496R to this guitar as this is a great combination of pick ups. I think the V is a great guitar I chose it for price (but I should have bought it from the USA even with import duty I still could have saved money), secondly for the sound the pick ups are fantastic, there is nothing I don't like about it, also it is very light compared to my Explorer so it is comfortable to use over long periods. If it were stolen I would buy another (I may even trade my Explorer and get another V anyway). If you want a cool looking Gibson for a great price you wont go far wrong to buy this guitar. // 8

Purchased from: Tom Lee Music

Features: The Faded V was made in 2000, USA. It had 24 thin frets with the neck made with mahogany. It had a Tune-O-Matic bridge and had 2 volume controls and 1 tone. // 10

Sound: I play a bit of classical but mainly rock and metal, I found that the guitar was very versatile because it could play all those types. I have a Boss Metal Zone pedal and I found it worked great with it, I have a Cube 15 amp which is great with the guitar, the guitar's sound was amazing. I have a Squire Telecaster and when I play my Faded V I can tell the difference between sounds instantly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought the guitar it was flawless, nothing much to say here because it was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar can definitly withstand live playing. The guitar feels as if it is still new even though I bought it for 2 years already. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall this guitar is great with anytype of music, but I wouldn't suggest it to classical players because it isn't very comfurtable playing while sitting down. I like the looks of the guitar, the sound, the features and the finish of the guitar. Gibson really does great jobs on making guitars. I would have really like a Faded V with a floyd rose bridge though because playing with the tremelo is fun. When I play my Faded V I feel like as if the Faded V owns my Telecaster. // 10

Faded V Reviewed by: hardrock1315, on november 09, 2012

Sound: The sound on this guitar is not bad. It suits my playing, which is punk, classic rock, blues, some metal, and most other styles of rock (besides pop-punk and emo). It has a very chunky sound - not for Strat lovers. It is a relatively quiet guitar, though. The worst thing about the sound is the clean tone - not good at all. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The craftmanship and finish on this guitar is substandard. In person, it looks not red, but pink. it is a very ugly, flat color despite being transparent. The neck is a piece of crap. The sides of the neck were rough and the neck was huge (width) and not very fast at all - very hard to play. No real flaws - everything was in order. The body style looks awesome. That's the only thing I like about this guitar. The feel is just horrible. // 4

Overall Impression: First I will say I am not a fan of Gibson. Only their high-end guitars are decent, as are the studios (all overpriced, though). This guitar costs about 700 USD. For that, you can get a great guitar instead of this. I did not buy this guitar, but have played different ones many times and every time had the same result: bad craftmanship. I do not recommend this guitar. // 4

Faded V Reviewed by: lagunasunrise, on november 09, 2012

Sound: Works great with classic rock, hard rock and heavy metal. I use it with a Marshall MG15DFX (going to buy the half-cab version because they are sounding so nice together), Boss Distortion and a DigiTech RP50 Effects Box. If you turn up the tone and distortion all the way on thr bridge pickups, you get some feedback. Pinch harmonics and artifcial harmonics work well giving you a good squeal and by changing the pickups, it gives you a more crunchy sound. All sounds from country to metal. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The pickups were set very nicely, they aren't loose and wont fall out or in on you. The bridge wasn't offset. It is perfect alignment with the neck. No flaws with the construction of this instrument. There were no signs of misaligned bracing, poorly filed fretwire, finish flaws, poor quality wood, rusted or oxidized hardware, loose tuning pegs, poorly cut nut, poorly fit saddle, noisy pickup selector or loose controls. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will do well in Live playing, I have spilt water and droped mine several times with no affect to the sound. The only hardware that I might need to change would be the rubber knob on the swich, it screws off sometimes. The strap buttons are solid. I wouldn't throw it around my neck, but they will hold the weight of the guitar no problem. When I play, this is the only guitar I use. No need for a backup. There is no real finish on the guitar, just painted wood. I have already scratched it and got nicks in it too (from dropping it). // 8

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, hard rock, metal, blues and everything inbetween. This guitar works good with everythign I play. I have been playing 8 months and my only other guitar is a Fender Starcaster (not a Strat). If I lost this, I would buy it again. The faded SG is exactly like this guitar but with a different body, so I might buy the SG just to get a different look. I love the feel of the neck more than anything else on this guitar. I've played true Flying Vs and I hate the neck on those. Real wod is the way to go. The only thing I hate about this guitar is that the wood is soft. I have already have had a number of nicks and dents in it. If you compare it to a Jackson Rhoades guitar, it is easy to play sitting down. You can sit down and play this guitar with your thigh between the V. I love soloing, I wish this guitar had more frets. // 9

Faded V Reviewed by: adg77, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Sound: This guitar is just great for the kind of music I play, which is mostly rock and blues. I run it through a bedrock half-stack and it sounds awesome, you can get a real nice clean sound with the neck pickup or switch to the bridge pickup and turn on the distortion to get a true rock and roll crunch. This guitar can make a wide variety of sounds and appeal to all styles of music, but I'm sure some people would disagree. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect on this guitar, no fret buzz. The pickups are very nice and were adjusted fine, just slightly loose but it doesn't bother me and shouldn't bother anyone else. The guitar was perfect, no scrathces, no nothing but I've only owned it for about a 2 months. The wood is very nice and the guitar is pretty light. This guitar was very well made and is just perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definitely withstand live playing and the sound has not changed since the day I have bought it and I think that as long as your not messing around with the pickups or if you accidentally drop it then it wont change. I depend on this guitar but when I ever go to a gig I always bring a back up regardless. // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar is a good match for all kinds of music and I have been playing for a few years now and this guitar surpassed my expectations for the price. If this were stolen or lost I would definitely buy a new one exactly like it. I love everything about this guitar except it's kind of awkward to sit down and play with it, but the trick is to put the V in between your thigh and I kinda like to put the end of the bottom half of the V and wedge it behind my calf to get a better grip. This guitar looks awesome. I also own a really nice Ibanez, Jackson, and an old B.C. Rich and this guitar is right up there and is one of my favorite guitars. I highly reccomend this guitar to anyone for it's great sound, looks, and affordable price // 9

Faded V Reviewed by: jamesdjharrod, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: MJ's Music

Features: Made in Tennessee, between 2005 and 2007. 22 Frets of wonder, really nice low action for lead work, but no fret buzz means chords sound really full and rich. It's got the Standard Gibson 24.75" scale length, which did feel quite different after I'd been using a Strat for the past year. The body and neck are mahogany according to the Gibson site, but my guitar teacher says it feels more like korina, and it certainly sounds too rich to be mahogany. The finish is very good, it lets the grain show through well. The finish does look a lot darker than the pictures on the Gibson site, but that adds a classic look to it. However, it is quite soft and so you'll probably not want to put it in a soft case to avoid damage. The bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, as on most Gibsons which makes re-stringing really easy, and increases the already great sustain. The only problem is that the saddles seem a bit loose at first so you lose some intonation. But that's nothing a screwdriver won't fix. Of course, a big selling point is the electronics. At the neck position is a 496R ceramic humbucker, and at the bridge is a 500T ceramic humbucker. The bridge pickup does come set very high, which gives two really good distinct tones, but can cause tone problems. The controls are two volume and one tone, with a 3-way switching configuration (bridge, neck or both). The tuners are Gibson Deluxe Greenkeys which hold the tuning well enough. The guitar came with a soft case, but I do suggest using a hardcase instead, because it's a nice guitar and you don't want it to break. But mine did come with strap locks on it, but I think that might have been done by the guitar shop rather than the factory. // 9

Sound: Oh the sounds! It sounds better than anything ever! I mainly play blues (it works great because of the sustain), rock (it works great because of the tone), and metal (it works great because of the rich harmonics), but it also works for punk and I'm sure it would work fine for jazz or country or anything. I play it through either a Carlsbro Kickstart 10, which is my practice amp, or a 100-watt Fender Vibroverb if I'm gigging. I don't use many effects, just a Dunlop Crybaby and an old MXR overdrive pedal. It's completely noiseless, and on the bridge pickup setting it really sings. On the neck pickup setting it's still awesome, but gives a much chuggier sound. And when you do tapping it sounds like the best thing ever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar's action was great straight away, really low and really nice for bending and tapping. The pickups were set up perfectly, and the bridge (apart from two of the saddles) is great. It's easy to reach the high frets, and having mainly played a Strat, it's much easier to play solos. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Since I got this guitar, it's been the only thing I've played with live, because it's actually been the only one I've needed. I use my Strat or my Kramer Vanguard as backup, but I haven't needed to use them at all. The strap locks are great, and the finish seems soft but durable. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, classic metal, blues, and proper, Ramones-style punk. At the moment, this is probably the best looking sounding and feeling guitar for these genres. I've been playing for about 3 years, and I also have a Fender Stratocaster, a Kramer Vanguard, an Epiphone Hummingbird, and I've got an Epiphone Dot on order at the moment. If I did lose it or it was stolen, I would either buy another one or get an Explorer, because when I was buying this it was a toss up between the two. I love the style of it, I used to hate playing it sitting down, but now I've got used to it. In comparison to my Kramer, it wins hands down, in comparison to my Fender it's much better for rock, and I've played Les Pauls and I prefer it to them. // 10

Faded V Reviewed by: MusicalMinority, on november 09, 2012

Features: My Faded Vee was made in 2002 in the USA. 22 frets, as with all Standard Gibson necks. I won't go into much more detail on its features, as they're all there on the Gibson website. It's pretty much a stripped-bare guitar with some amazingly awesome features, which might sound like an oxymoron. It's not. It's got all the important features, and no fancy-bull at all. Of course, it's got no finish anywhere. No binding. This, in my opinion, really lets the guitar get it's rich tonality. The unfinished neck is a shredder's dream, honestly. No match for a Wizard neck or something, but still one of the faster Gibson necks I've tried. The Tune-O-Matic bridge and the factory tuners are great. It really doesn't go out of tune easily at all, unless you're a Kurt Cobain, in which it might after some serious pounding. There's a 3-way selector switch, two volume knobs, and a tone knob that doesn't really do much. (I have to this day never seen a tone knob that enhances tone in any way). Using this configuration, you can get some pretty interesting sounds, and even use the pickup selector as a temporary killswitch. It comes with a gig bag, but I'd get a hard case. It also comes with a handy Tool that's a screwdriver and a truss rod adjuster. // 9

Sound: I often joke that there's not a genre of rock I don't play; this is actually close to the truth. I play classic rock, blues/blues rock, hard rock, soft rock, heavy metal, thrash metal, glam rock/metal, funk, punk, pop-punk, a bit of German metal and British Invasion, alternative, and progressive. This guitar is truly amazing as it tackles all those genres extremely well, even through a Marshall MG15CDR. I usually don't have any effects or EQ on, besides the built-in reverb and distortion. It gets a little bit noisy sometimes when I'm not touching the strings, but I think that's just a grounding issue. A decent noise gate probably would eliminate all the excess. It gets a good AC/DC tone, great Bad Religion, a halfway decent Black Sabbath, a good Blue Oyster Cult, an awesome Boston, a great David Bowie, okay Green Day, great Guns N' Roses, an alright Jimi Hendrix, a rocking Metallica, a decent Nirvana, a good Randy Rhodes, a simply righteous Pink Floyd, a good Queen, good Ramones, amazing Red Hot Chili Peppers clean, a great Scorpions, and a passable Who. These humbuckers are just simply amazing. The best sounds they get are classic rock, metal, punk, hard rock, and (general) rock. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory setup was alright, but I was a n00b back then, and I can't really remember how it felt. It took a fairly long time to find the kinds of sounds I wanted, as far as pickup adjustment went. I'm pretty sure everything else was perfect, until I stuck some .11s on it. I think it was factory-set for .09s, Heaven forbid. The fretboard feels a little rough compared to other Gibsons I've tried, including Les Pauls, SGs, and Explorers. Oh, and the switching pickups makes a little clicking noise. Not sure if all guitars do it or not. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's unfinished. And one would think it can't take a beating. However, it's encounters with my desk have left little scratches on my guitar and dents all over my desk. It's pretty tough and reliable. The strap buttons are as solid as you'll get for non-locking ones. I'd definitely gig with it. As long as I'm not throwing it across the stage, I'm sure it'd be fine. // 9

Overall Impression: This is pretty much a good match for almost any genre you can think of. I've been playing 2 years. I've got no regrets at all. If it was stolen. Well, let's just say it can't be. But if it was, I'd get a new one or find whoever did it and beat 'em up. Overall, a great guitar. // 9

Purchased from: Buffalo Creek Guitar

Features: The Gibson Faded V I own was made in 2003 in Tennessee. It is top notch for American quality guitar at an affordable price. The guitar comes Standard with a set neck, 22 frets, and an ebony fingerboard. The guitar has a faded cherry finish that makes the wood grain really show which is nicer then a paint finish. It has a mahogany body, mahogany neck, and ebony fretboard. The tuners are basically Gibson tuners, not grovers (to keep the price low). It has a Tune-O-Matic bridge which helps sustaine alot. The pickups are a 496R and a 500T by Gibson, Standard for most Gibson guitars. It has 3 knobs, 2 volumes for your pickups and a tone knob. // 8

Sound: The guitar is very good for blues, up to classic rock. It has a sort of nasally sound though on the higher frets because of the ebony fretboard probably. It is not very good with lower tunings for some reason. It sounds good but not as good as a real metal guitar (B.C. Rich, ESP, Jackson, ect). It has a great sound for those really classic pentatonic leads and heavy rhythms. It sort of lacks in the death metal department though. It just can't get that death metal sound just right. It is not noisy at all if you keep your gain not at 10, and you can roll the volume knobs off some to make it a cleaner sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was not set up in the factory as it was used. I had to adjust the bridge height and now the intonation. The pickups are a lil high but that's okay. The bridge is fine, there are no problems there besides the intonation. The only real problem I can say for this guitar is the tuners are pretty crappy. You might wanna change them for some grovers. They really have a hard time staying in tune long. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have never played this guitar live yet. The hardware kinda sucks so I got straplocks on it and may get some new tuners for it. I would probably have a backup guitar just in case, but it does feel pretty solid. But I haven't had it long enough to trust it fully. // 7

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music from classical to death metal. I've been playing quite a number of years and have a Warlock, 74' Gretsch Chet Atkins, '89 Ovation Celebrity Elite, and a Washburn classical guitar. I would probably buy it again if it was stolen, but there are better guitars out there. This one is good but not the best by far. I personally like my Warlock's feel more then this one but it has a lot of sustaine and punch which gives it an edge over the warlock. // 8

Faded V Reviewed by: dbark88, on november 09, 2012

Features: This beauty of a guitar was made in the USA, not sure what year (probably 07 or 08 since I purchased it new). It has 22 near perfectly sized frets on a thin and wide neck which make for great comfort and speed. The finish is a satin worn cherry on a classic mahogany v-shaped body and neck, with a rosewood fretboard. The pickups are stock Gibson 496 bridge and 500 neck humbuckers. It has a tune-o-matic bridge, stop-bar tailpiece, and Gibson deluxe tuners all are chrome and hold the tune quite well. There are two volume, one tone, and one 3 way pick-up Switch. The only included accessory was a padded gig bag. // 9

Sound: The Faded V sounds great distorted and holds it's own clean even through my Fender Bullet dsp 150. There is little feedback unless I have the amp turned all the way up (more of an amp problem). The two pickups contrast eachother well. The bridge gives a good deep punch perfect for the metalhead in me, and the neck gives more of a bright sound perfect for higher frets. I have played varying styles with it, and it has handled all of them well, especially any rock or metal. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where the only problem I had with the guitar came up. The action was set up well, and the electronics were perfect. The finish is absolutely gorgeous no imperfections yet. The strings were absolutely dead. The guy at my local guitar shop even stated that they should never have shipped it with such poor strings. Also the bridge pickup was way too high to the point where I was getting pickup buzz. With a little set-up and strings replaced, this thing was perfect. Ever since the new strings were stretched out I haven't even had to tune for like a week. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have only had the guitar for 2 months but it has proved itself so far. I'm not good enough to play Live, but I'm confindent in this baby to put on an awesome show. I have had a strap on it since I bought it, and have had no problems with the buttons. I'm not sure about how long the finish will last, but I'm pretty careful with it so it won't be a problem. // 10

Overall Impression: Being a beginning rock/metal player this guitar is absolutely even more than I could need. There is only one guitar I have seen since buying this that I think I would have purchased instead (if you really want to know it is a Schecter V-1 Hellraiser FR); however, I have no regrets. I love everything about this gorgeous piece of ART, especially the comfort (even sitting down). If it were stolen the thief would rue the day they were born, and I would most likely buy it again if I had the money. I highly recommend this guitar to anyone looking for a good guitar that can handle a wide variety of rock music. // 10

Faded V Reviewed by: JohnnyGreenwood, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine is a 2007 made in Tennesse, 22 jumbo frets, rosewood fretboard, mahogany neck and body, the neck profile is between the 50's round neck and the 60's slim tapper so it's comfortable and makes this a very easy playing guitar, nitro finish without the clear coats which looks cool and let's the wood vibrate freely, a very solid Tune-O-Matic bridge, two volumes one tone, 496R and 500T pickups which are very hot but versatile at the same time, it has Vintage Gibson green key tulip tuners which work very well and look classic and classy. Came with gig bag. // 8

Sound: This is what really stands out in this guitar, its got a very peculiar sound, I love it, I play about everything except jazz and country and this guitar handles all I throw at it very very well, you can really tell why it's a Gibson, sustains beautifully, the harmonics are rich and full, it manages distortion like no other, overdriven it sings, cleans are powerfull and clear, and it manages all the effects of my pedalboard better than my other guitars. I own an Orange Crush 30R and a Fender hot rod deville... the key for unleashing the tone of this guitar is a tube amp, the studio where I practice and record has a Marshall jcm 900 and wow, it's tone heaven I swear. There's a thing about the middle position, both pickups running together that I can only describe as magic, there's really something going there. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This point is very relative to me as any guitar needs a set up, every player has personal preferences, I'm very skilled with set ups so I didn't have a problem with my V. Actually it has the lowest action of all my guitars and there's not even a little buzz. Everything else was perfect. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its not a reliable as a tele, but it's very well built, it actually has endured a lot of falls and impacts with walls, mic stands and other instruments. The hardware looks as new three years later, I'd never gig without a backup, string breakage anyone? The finish wears kind of easy, but that's the whole point of the faded series. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I'm blown away with this one, it was cheaper than my Fender Highway One Telecaster and manages a lot of styles better, I had the misconception this guitar was made for metal only... Maybe the looks? However since I started playing guitar I always wanted a V, and now that I have it and played it for three years I'm in love. I've read a lot about the quality issues with Gibsons lately but to me this guitar is in perfect condition. I also heard that playing this guitar seated was too uncomfortable, it actually took me a week to get used to it, but since then I think it's the most comfortable guitar to play seated, its so close to play standing up that feels natural after a while. I highly recommend the faded v, its a shame the price tag on this is nearly the double now. There's a lot of great guitars at that price range to compete with this one. But still I think is one of the best ones out there. Love it, the 9 is pretty realistic, there's les paul customs, es-355s, high end paul reed smiths and top of the line fenders out there, but I assure you you're getting a lot for the money. // 9

Purchased from: Guitar Guitar

Features: Purchased march 2011. 2010 Gibson Faded cherry V, mahogany body and neck with 22 fret rosewood fingerboard. D shape neck, fatter than a shredder neck, but thinner and wider than a strat. Chrome hardware, Gibson Deluxe tuners (similar to Gotoh tuners), tune-o-matic bridge. 496R neck pickup, 500T bridge pickup, three way switch, passive electronics. Came with a soft case, Gibson history and care booklet. All parts of the guitar work perfectly, only problem was the bridge volume pot position, but this is easily solved as wiring isn't too tight. Also strap buttons work fine with a good strap, but personally I get quite active when playing, so I upgraded to Schaller straplocks after guitar dropped a few times. A hard case would have been nice. // 8

Sound: When purchased, I was looking for a good thrash guitar, and I'd been after a Flying V since I began playing and saw Kirk Hammet and James Hetfield playing Vs on kill em all. I am also into Machine Head and Trivium, and play in a band influenced by both. This guitar sounds brilliantly dark and heavy, perfect when ran through an AVT od2 channel, but resonant and defined when played clean. Recently I've been more into blues and hard rock, and this guitar really sounds tremendously ballsey when whacking out Led Zep and Thin Lizzy. Neck unit is smooth and creamy, good for any lead, and sounds lovely for little jazzy licks. Bridge 500T may not be high enough out put for some, but there's tons of space under the pickguard for a 9V battery. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Set up from factory was a touch high for my liking, but the bridge can be lowered simply by slackening strings and tightening by hand. Pick up height was fine, and tuners are perfectly accurate. No damage on body or neck, but I did find a slight dent on the 4th fret, though I didn't see it for a few months, so perfectly possible it was my fault. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged with this guitar, as well as my Jackson JS30RR, and it sounded killer, making the Jackson and my other guitarists LTD Explorer sound like twigs. No need for backup, everything is totally solid, playing 11s means I rarely break strings unless I'm playing nirvana madly. Already mentioned strap buttons, solid enough for your average guitarist, but if you jump about the joint and smack your guitar, straplocks make a valuable upgrade. Finish is exactly what I want, its wearing away along the bottom wing tip, and within 3 years it should look like I've had her for decades. May wear too quickly for some, faster than a full finish Gibson, and much, much faster than a fenders finish. In my opinion, with straplocks and thick strings, its bulletproof, but if I was using 9s or 10s and normal strapbuttons, it may not be. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall, this guitar will play anything. At all. Thrash, hard rock, grunge, rock'n'roll and jazz, and I'm sure it'd manage strummers too, if not looking the part. I've been playing for 3 years, owning a Squier Strat, Jackson JS30RR as mentioned, and currently playing through a Marshall 100 watt AVT. I guess I should have bargined for a hard case and a strap, but the case it has ok. Its a cliche on this site, but if it was stolen, I would reduce that person to a vegetable for abducting my baby. If it was un returnable... I might save the extra 200 quid for the alpine white model, which I want to get at some point. I love the aesthetics of this guitar, the headstock is glorious, and the colour just defines Gibson. Compared to Epiphone models, and another Faded V, this one had something else. The Epiphone was a touch weak, but the neck on this one got me hooked. My full recommendations, the pride of all my possessions, and as versatile as any guitar in this price range could ever be. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Midtown Custom 7 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014