Firebird Studio Review

7.3
reviews (5) 50 comments vote for this gear:
Firebird Studio Reviewed by: Dyuha, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Music123.com

Features: The Firebird Studio combines the "reverse-body" style of the original series with Gibson's traditional set-neck design. Full-size humbucking pickups and optional gold- or chrome-plated hardware enhance the Studio's unique place in the Firebird family. It also has the but with a conventional set neck, mini-Grover tuners on the side of the headstock, a tapered body, and the traditional Gibson dual-humbucker sound. The solidbody Firebird guitars were originally developed in 1963, and the original reverse-body Firebird has been in regular production since 1990. Gibson USA has not offered any fundamental changes to the body in the last 30 years, and the Firebird Studio maintains a fresh look and feel. - Body: mahogany - Bridge/tremolo: Tune-O-Matic - Controls Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch - Fingerboard: rosewood - Frets: 22 - Inlays: pearloid dot - Machine heads: mini-Grovers - Neck joint: 19th fret - Neck material: mahogany - Nut width: 1.68" - Pickups: 490R & 498T Alnico magnet humbuckers - Knobs: black Top Hat with insert - Tailpiece: stopbar - Hardware: chrome or gold. // 10

Sound: This guitar does not appear to be noisy. It has a very rich sound, pleasently clean sound - punchy and full. It also has alot to do with the way you play guitar. The bridge and neck pickups sound very good but quite different. They aren't too different in their tonal characteristics though, they're suited for each other very well. The larger humbuckers suit this guitar better than traditional mini humbuckers. It doesn't get shrill but has a nice thick balanced tone. The guitar has a good variety of sounds for a 3 toggle. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: It was set up pretty good from the factory. Two piece body joined beautifully right down the middle. The guitar looks really cool. It seems when it was put together, there was a lot of care involved. The pickups are set at a good height, they are not too close to the strings but still get a great pickup. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built well and feels solid. Both hardware and finish seems to last a lifetime or more. The strap buttons are solid. This guitar will hold to any live playing situations unless you use it for a surfboard or something. You could gig with this guitar without a backup, but it's not a very good freak. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a rocking guitar and it has a very good sound. This is a great starter for the Bird fans with further Switch to Firebird V or Firebird VII. Its cost is very attractive to anyone looking for a Gibson guitar on a budget. // 9

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: GibsonKokonuts, on november 09, 2012

Features: This is a pretty sweet guitar. Like all Gibsons it was made in the US of A. It has got a solid 22 frets with dot inlays. I absolutely love this paint job. It gives it an authentic touch. The body and neck is mahogany. This has an awesome body shape. As soon as I looked at it I was thinking Rock N' Roll. The Tune-O-Matic Bridge keeps this baby fresh every time I pick it up. It has 4 knobs for volume and tone and a 3-way selector for rhythm and treble. The beautiful humbuckers tear through other guitar pickups like paper. The Mini-Grover tuners are all on the bottom of the headstock to give it that sassy look. It comes with a Gibson hardshell case. // 8

Sound: I play styles like Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. This is an awesome guitar for those styles. From ZZ Top to AC/DC to The Spice Girls this guitar does it all. I played it with a Line 6 Speder II 30 watt amp. With that amp the sound is beautiful. If you play this the right way you get crisp sound that doesn't even buzz a little bit. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Awesome assembly. That is all I need to say. I couldn't find one flaw about it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Okay I'll be honest I dont't own this guitar but I played it for 3 hours straight at the shop. I played everything on it (I even dropped it once and it sounded just the same). So it's got to be durable! I didn't try out the strap though. So you're on your own with that. I saw a lot of people playing this and it didn't even look like it would start wearing. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is I wish I had the money. I love this guitar! There is nothing to hate about this guitar. Sure every product has its bad reviews but this one doesn't deserve one! // 9

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: onemanarmy9, on november 09, 2012

Sound: Very nice cleans. Neck pickup has a little bite, bridge has more. Sounds great distorted (to me anyway). Great rock/metal/anything other that pop and emo guitar! I curently use an MT-2, DD-6 and PH-3 for effects pedals, and I'm getting another amp, all the amps I tried it through to this point have made this guitar sing. Wide variety of sounds (from clean jazz, to death metal). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up just fine from the factory, though I'd rather them put .12 strings on it instead of the .10. Everything was set up correctly though, no buzzing whatsoever. Pickup selector was a little tight, but not a big issue. The frets are a little higher than my Les Paul, but again, not an issue. Everything else is great. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is great. Easily can play live, and everything sounds in top shape. Should definatly last. I'd only use a backup in case a string broke (which would be my own fault). Definatly will last a long time. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing general rock, this guitar is great. Everything about it I love! If I lost it, or it was stolen, I'd be crushed. I'd definatly go out and find another one ASAP! Having compared this directly next to an Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus, I can say this thing sings. It sounded far superior to the Epiphone in every way. It even sounded better than the Gibson Les Paul Standard I tried later that day! Now if only it had the Virato of the VII. // 9

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: frbrdman, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Instumental Music

Features: 22 rosewood fret board. Laminated top Ebony Body Reversed Fender Jaguar body style. Tune-O-Matic Bridge. Volume tone and 3 way selector. // 8

Sound: I play hard rock, blues, modern rock, and a littly country. i use a Fender 150 Bullet amp with it. It has a very rich sound and sounds in my opinion half way between a Les Paul and a Strat. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: the action on this guitar should be lowered. the pickups were adjusted well. everything else was pretty much fine no problems yet and ive had it for a year. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have only played about 6 gigs with it but i have never had to use my backup. the only thing i dislike about this guitar is its finish. i have a black finish on mine and holy crap does it show everything that has happened to it. // 9

Overall Impression: i love this guitar and im glad i bought it. if not for this guitar i would sound like crap. // 9

Firebird Studio Reviewed by: lightningjoe88, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Blue Note Guitars

Features: -Mahogany body -Set mahogany neck -'60s style slim taper neck profile -Rosewood fingerboard -Pearloid Dot inlays -Chrome or gold hardware -Tune-o-matic bridge -Stopbar tailpiece -Black top hat knobs with insert -Mini Grover tuners -490R and 498T Alnico magnet humbucker pickups -2 volume, 2 tone, 3-way switch -17 degree peghead pitch -0.830" thickness at 1st fret -0.900" thickness at 12th fret -0.625" heel Length -19th fret neck joint location -24-3/4" scale length: -1-11/16 nut width -2.062" width at 12th fret -22 frets -Black reptile pattern hardshell case with dark grey plush interior, black shroud, and silkscreened silver Gibson USA logo -Includes hardshell case // 9

Sound: I play mostly classic rock, hard rock, blues, and some metal. I run this straight to my Carvin V3 halfstack (w/ GT12 speakers). The guitar is amazing for all the styles that I play. It has a nice big sound, but not quite as beefy as Les Paul. The pickups make very little buzz and I haven't changed out the stock ones. This guitar can almost play anything... almost. Nice sustain. Neck isn't the fastest I've ever played, but it is still very good. The guitar also stays in tune very well. It is also very balanced and won't fall on you when you let go. I would give it a 9.5 but that's not an option and nothing is perfect. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Everything on this guitar felt great right when I picked it up at the store and started playing. Very easy to reach the higher frets for solos. No complaints here. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The guitar will withstand anything you throw at it. It might get a little heavy after a while of playing it though (depends on how strong you are). You could play many gigs without feeling the need of a backup. This guitar will last quite a while for me. Solid guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I got the gold hardware and black finish. Looks very awesome and I'm always getting compliments about it. I have been playing 5-6 years. If it were stolen I would buy it again. For a Gibson guitar, this is well-priced for the quality. A shame they don't make this anymore, or any like it price-wise (except maybe the SG Standard or Explorer). I tried many guitars before this, searched every shop I could, and did many hours of research. Only gripe is that the neck isn't the natural wood (paint = friction) and that's just a personal preference. Overall this guitar is awesome and well worth the money. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special Voodoo 9.2 Electric Guitars 06/09/2014