Les Paul '70s Tribute Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 10/22/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul '70s Tribute
Gibson made this in 2013 because it's the year of the Les Paul. This guitar sounds like a Les Paul and looks like a Les Paul, but it's cheaper than the average Les Paul.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 7.4
 6.8
reviews (2) pictures (4) 19 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul '70s Tribute Reviewed by: MrJens, on august 09, 2013

Price paid: € 899

Purchased from: Piens

Features: This guitar is actually a cheap version of the Les Pauls we all know. It sounds like a Les Paul and looks like a Les Paul, but it's cheaper than the average Les Paul. Gibson made this in 2013 because it's the year of the Les Paul. They made a guitar that brings back the '70s style. It has a classic tonewood combination of a mahogany body with solid carved maple top. This gives you a "deep" sound, a warm sound actually. The mahogany back is strategically weight relieved to both lighten your load and improve resonance. It is topped with a genuine rosewood fingerboard that carries 22 medium-jumbo frets and Traditional trapezoid inlays. On the headstock is written in gold: Gibson Les Paul Model. The Les Paul '70s Tribute takes its firepower from a pair of Gibson's mighty Dirty Fingers humbucking pickups, a legendary component of '70s firepower, and among the two hottest pickups that Gibson has ever designed. These scorching humbuckers include powerful ceramic magnets and over-wound coils for a sizzling, sustainful sound that nevertheless remains clear and articulate. It has everything a Les Paul needs, bridge and neck pick-up, 2 tone controls, 2 volume controls, single cut-away. The guitar comes with a gig bag, it's not the best one ever but it's better than nothing. This is a great guitar, I surely recommend it for intermediate players with low budget. // 9

Sound: The sound is deep and warm, it's just amazing. When you hold this guitar and you play a random chord you'll hear the '70s. You can play all kinds of music with it but it's the best for rock I think. And especially rock from the seventies. This guitar is perfect for Led Zeppelin, The Who or even Guns N' Roses. Even funk and rock 'n' roll will sound great. You can adjust everything to your liking with the tone controls. It's great when you use it clean, that is just A-MA-ZING! But some songs require overdrive, so you can use an overdrive pedal. You'll lose a little bit of the warmth of the sound. The Dirty Fingers are great, it won't get very noisy. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Actually, everything was great except one thing. Pick-up's perfectly adjusted, bridge was right adjusted, it had not even a little scratch. But, I wanted to play but only 3 strings were tuned right, but that's not a disaster. The disaster was the B-string, I just couldn't tune it, after about 2 minutes it broke. I don't know what the problem was. Wrong string? Damaged string? I don't know. But the rest was perfect, everything was adjusted very well. After all, that string was not that bad, I guess I just was unlucky. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely reliable and durable! I haven't known any other guitar be this reliable of durable. This solid guitar is is kinda heavy and my guitar strap broke once, my guitar fell on the ground but doesn't even got a scratch! The hardware and strap buttons are very strong and seems like they will outlive me, they hold on tight! I play the guitar for about 2 hours a day but that's not a problem for this beauty, it hasn't changed sound or beautiness, it stays as nice as I bought him. The most durable guitar I ever had. // 10

Overall Impression: I love Jimmy Page, Slash, Pete Townshend etc. So this guitar is perfect for me. The seventies rule. I play for about 3 years now. My former guitars weren't very good, but with my Gibson everything changed. It's like my skills keep growing because of this guitar. If it'll be stolen I would be very depressed because I love this guitar. I'm never gonna sell it. It has just a beautiful sound, compared to other guitars this is warmer. The neck pick-up can produce such beautiful sounds, I just love it. I'm happy I bought it, especially because it's actually pretty cheap.

// 9

Les Paul '70s Tribute Reviewed by: M3AK, on october 22, 2013

Features: The guitar is a 2013 model '70s Tribute. It's essentially a classic Gibson Les Paul that's at the lower end of the price scale. This gets you a Mahogany body with a Maple top, a Mahogany neck with a Rosewood fingerboard and 22 frets, classic stop bar and tail piece bridge, grover tuners, 2 Gibson Dirty Fingers humbuckers and a fairly nice Satin Finish. Mine's is the Tobacco-burst finish which has a natural back which is stunning. I absolutely love the bare bones look of this guitar. It comes with a nice gig bag. In all honesty I feel that doing a features section on a Les Paul is fairly pointless unless there is something special about it. I wanted a simple Les Paul and I got one. No harm in giving it a 10 there then. // 10

Sound: I play metal in it's many varieties. My biggest influences are Mastodon, High On Fire, Testament and Iced Earth. I play this through an Orange TH100 going into a Marshall Mode Four cab. The only pedals in the way between the guitar and amp are a Tuner and a noise gate. The gate is essential with this guitar because it seems to have a huge feedback problem. The pick ups are incredibly microphonic which I assume is the cause of this. The sound is so very beefy and chugging rhythms are very satisfying... So long as you don't tune down too low. This is a huge flaw for me personally as a metal guy. Dropping the guitar anywhere below D (my band plays in D standard and Drop C) cause the guitar to become unbelievably muddy. I used this guitar in D standard and it sounds great but as soon as I head any lower it becomes undefinable. The problems I have with the sound of this guitar are easily fixable with a pick up change which many people consider an essential mod but for anything plus £500 I feel that these are problems I shouldn't be coming across. That being said, as mentioned above, in D standard this guitar sounds fantastic. Combined with my Orange it gives me a nice Vintage feel to my band that I really love. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was properly intonated at the factory and the neck/truss rod were well adjusted. The action height is all down to preference. I like mine surprisingly high for a metal guy. The pick ups for some reason were set about as high as they could be. After that was set back down the guitar was comfortable enough to play but there were a few sharp fret-ends which I wasn't all that impressed with. The general impression that I got from this guitar was that they really rushed these out of the factory. I'm marking down this seriously as a brand with a legacy and reputation as high as Gibson's should not have these kinds of flaws. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar live a few times but only for a few songs. It snapped a string at one gig but that can happen to any guitar so obviously I wont hold that against it. This guitar will happily withstand live playing. The hardware is all rock solid and it holds it tuning beautifully. Les Pauls have a reputation for not holding their tuning at all but with this guitar that fortunately isn't the case at all. The strap buttons are very secure. The finish, being satin, fades away very quickly. I won't mark it down however on that basis because for me that is part of the appeal of satin as opposed to the many gloss finishes that are available from other brands on the market at this price range. The guitar feels rock solid and to be honest is a real redeeming factor for this guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for about 10 years now and have owned various guitars but this was my first Gibson. I don't know if my expectations were ridiculously high based on the heritage and legacy of the company. The guitar holds up against it's Epiphone counterpart but I feel it falls short of my Ibanez and Schecter. The problem with drop tuning is a simple pick up change away. I do feel that on a guitar this price and from such a prestigious brand as Gibson microphonic pick ups are a serious no no. Combine that with the poor fret finish and ridiculous pick up height that they set them at the guitar looses some serious marks. If it were lost or stolen I probably wouldn't re-purchase. I do love this guitar and it has some wonderful features and it does feel like it has been well put together. They just need to take more time finishing it off and quality controlling them. I feel that in the market there are other brands offering similar guitars with a greater sense of quality control. I have had the guitar re-fretted since I bought with some taller frets and had a much nicer fret finish on it. After a pick up change this will become the Les Paul I have been dreaming of. Anyone buying this guitar for metal music I offer one recommendation - do not just try this in standard tuning at the shop. Drop it down as low as you would usually and make sure the sound is definable enough for you. // 7

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special Voodoo 9.2 Electric Guitars 06/09/2014