Les Paul BFG Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul BFG
A stripped-down, rock'n'roll flamethrower, the Les Paul BFG is the most powerful Les Paul Gibson has ever made. Blasted back to the bare essentials, the BFG is the Les Paul for guitarists who want it loud, raw, and wild.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 9.7
 8.6
 9.1
reviews (3) pictures (9) 70 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul BFG Reviewed by: AngelOfHatred, on november 09, 2012

Features: Mine was made in 2007, and made in the USA. This guitar has a P-90 pickup in the neck, and a "Zebra" Burstbucker 3 in the bridge position. Each pickup has its own volume and tone controls, and there is a 3-way toggle switch to choose between the pickups. It also comes with Grover tuners, which stay in tune well. Unlike most Les Pauls, this one has a killswitch installed on it. The body is unfinished, as well as the neck. The headstock on it is very rough, and does not have a truss rod cover. It is very unique from most Les Pauls. // 10

Sound: I like to play pretty much everything, from blues, to metal, to classic rock, to rap/rock (ex. RATM). This guitar can get me any sound I want. When it's plugged into my Fender De Ville amp, I can get amazing blues and classic rock sounds. The P-90 is great for both of these styles. If I plug it into my Line 6 Spider III, it is amazing for metal. The burstbucker sounds incredible with a lot of dirt thrown on top of it. It definitely has that Les Paul sound to it. No matter what your style is, this guitar will fit it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on the guitar is very different from any other guitar. The maple top on the guitar is not sanded, but it is still smooth. It doesn't look like it was painted, maybe just stained, or something like that. Some people may not like the finish on it, but I personally love my guitars looking like they've been beaten to hell. When I received the guitar, the action was perfect, and the frets felt great. The only thing that was wrong with it was the bridge pickup needed to be re-positioned. It was very crooked, and the sound coming from it was off. I got a person at the music store to fix that, and it sounded great. I don't think this problem is on all of these guitars, though. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't worry about this guitar when I play Live. When I drop it (I have a few times), the marks aren't noticeable, since the guitar already looks beaten. You won't need to worry about scratches, dents, etc. with this guitar. I haven't had any problems with the hardware, and I don't think I will in the future. I had to get some strap locks for this, as I jump around a lot when I play, and I don't wanna be dropping my guitar while I'm playing. // 10

Overall Impression: I play pretty much every type of music, and this thing can help me with it. I have been playing for about 6 years, and own a but of cheap guitars that aren't worth listing, and an Epiphone G-400. I often play my dad's guitars, which are a Gibson SG (Not sure about the year) and a Fender Stratocaster VG, and this guitar can compete with both of them. If this were lost or stolen, I would most likely replace it with another Les Paul BFG, as it is an amazing guitar. What I love about this guitar is it's unique. No one I know has anything similar to this. My favourite feature is the killswitch. I do a lot of Tom Morello style stuff, and now I can do that, and be able to switch my pickups, too. When buying this guitar, I compared it to a Fender Highway One Telecaster, Gibson SG Faded, and a few Ibanez RGs, but this just felt right. The only thing I could ask for would be some inlays, and a double cut-away for better access. // 9

Les Paul BFG Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 1099

Purchased from: Mupo Music (NL)

Features: This was made in 2007, I think, in the USA. It has 22 medium frets. Being a Les Paul, it is a solid body, although I think there has been some weight reduction on this guitar. Not as much as on normal Les Pauls though. The body is maple, and the top is mahogany, the neck is mahogany with a rosewood fingerboard. I has a tune-o-matic black bridge, and a stop tail piece, also black. It has a P-90 neck pickup, and a zebra burstbucker bridge pickup. It has 2 volume and one master tone control, as well as a pickup selector, and a kill switch. It has Grover tuners, and it came with a case. // 10

Sound: I mostly play hardcore punk (pennywise, Rise Against, Bad Religion) but sometimes pop-punk (Green Day) and sometimes some Metallica, Antrhax, or classic rock (Led Zeppelin -not stairway to heaven-, Deep Purple -not smoke on the water-, Eric Clapton etc). It suits all those styles, the burstbucker is great for the rawer punk sounds, and with some distortion it's very suitable for the more metal stuff. The P-90 sounds great both distorted and clean. Clean it's great for classic rock, and I've even played some bluessy riffs on it. I needed to lower the P-90 a little, because when I played my high e string on the 12th fret or above, it would touch the P-90, thus ruining the sound. I used the screw driver that came with the guitar, and it didn't take a minute. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: As abovementioned, I had to lower the P-90, but everything else was fine. The action is low, as I like it, but not too low, so it doesn't ring at the frets, even when played hard. My local guitar store only puts guitars in the store when they're in top condition, so all the bad guitars get send back, so I don't know how often other Gibsons have flaws, even though I've heard the stories. Still, on a guitar this expensive, I shouldn't have to adjust the pickup heigt myself... // 8

Reliability & Durability: I own this guitar for a week now, even though I bought it new. It looks solid enough, and it doesn't feel flimsy, like other guitars I've played. I have replaced the strapbuttons with proper locking straplocks, but this is my own preference, the strapbuttons that it came with looked solid, and were hard to unscrew. I would defenitely use this guitar without a backup, although I recommend brining new strings. I've never had any issues with the strings on this guitar, but you never know. The Grover tuners stay in tune wonderfully, as I said, I own this guitar for about a week, and I've played it for several hours a day, but only had to retune it today for the first time, and even that was a miminal adjustement. The BFG in the name means Barely Finished Guitar, so the finish was kept down to basics, you can see the wood, the top is unsanded, the controls are made of wood, and it doesn't have a truss rod cover. I love the looks of this guitar, but some people prefer the shiny finish of a Les Paul Studio or standard, that's a matter of taste. The finish that was put on this guitar seems very strong, I have seen no scratches whatsoever, even though I play pretty hard. // 9

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, I own a Squier Strat, which I strongly recommend if you've only got 20 cents to spend on a guitar, but otherwise I wouldn't really recommend it. I also own an Ibanez AFS75T Artcore, wich is a hollow body, and I like that for the more bluesy, jazzy stuff. Otherwise I prefer the Les Paul BFG over my other gear. I play it through a Kustom HV100 amp, wich is Marshall-like quality, for an average-joe-affordable price, so the Les Paul sounds great through it. The only flaw in this guitar, is that the kill switch is not 100% silent, but you only notice this if you play the guitar, while killing the sound. In normal use you'll never notice this. There is, of course, one rule that applies to all new-bought guitars: test them at the store before buying! The sound on this les paul is rawer than on other les pauls, so it's a matter of personal taste wheter you are going to like this guitar or not. Also it is well known that Gibson doesn't control guitars like they used to, so make sure you, or your store, checks the guitar before buying it. That said, I love this guitar, and I recommend it to anyone with good taste. // 8

Les Paul BFG Reviewed by: AngryDeli, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Some guy from Craigslist

Features: My BFG is a Silverburst model, made in 2008 (USA of course) and I purchased from a private seller on Craigslist in 2011. As far as Les Pauls go, this particular model is about as bare bones as one can get. It is a chambered body style with an unsanded carved maple top, mahogany back, 1950s style rounded mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard. The scale length is 24-3/4" with 22 frets, Hardware includes: distressed black chrome (trans black finish), stopbar (distressed) tailpiece, Tune-O-Matic bridge. It has two volume knobs and one tone (wooden knobs, which I quickly replaced with speed knobs). Other features include distressed Grover tuners, mini toggle switch for pickup selection and a "kill switch" toggle (which is probably the coolest feature on a Les Paul ever). When I bought the guitar, it originally had a BurstBucker3 passive humbucker in the bridge (hard mounted without a pickup collar) and a P-90 single coil in the neck. Impressive sound and tone if you're playing punk or hard rock, but since I play metal, the tone was a little too light for my taste so I had the pickups replaced with an EMG 81 in the bridge with a pickup collar installed and an EMG P-85 active single coil in the neck. It came with a Gibson hardshell case as well. What it lacks in features, bells and whistles is a charm here. This is not your father's or your granddad's Les Paul. Word of advice: take the standard strap pegs off immediately and install locking guitar straps right away, especially Dunlops. They will make life so much easier for you. // 9

Sound: I play metal, metal and more metal. There are a lot of guys out there that say that a Les Paul is not a "metal" guitar, especially this particular model. I beg to differ strongly. Anyone that says that a Les Paul "can't do metal" is full of crap and needs to stop playing their Deans long enough to see the world beyond their ridiculous pointy headstock. Obviously, the addition of EMG active pickups are going to instantly "metalize" any ol' guitar but in this case, the marriage of these pickups to the BFG is a huge winning combination. My amp of choice is Peavey 3120 with a 6505 4x12 straight cab. Not sure what speakers it has in it but I am sure that they are the stock 75-watters. I also previously used a Peavey 6505+ as well but I liked the 3120's sound much better, especially the cleans. For effects, I am using primarily MXR/Dunlop fx (Carbon Copy Delay, Black Label Chorus, Micro Flanger, Zakk Wylde Wah), Boss Tremolo and an ISP Decimator noise suppressor which is essential for the Peavey 3120/6505 series. I am very happy to say that after years of buying/selling/trading gear, especially guitars, over the years that this BFG is my main weapon of choice. Before this, my other main guitar was a Les Paul Studio Platinum (also with the EMG 81-85 combo) but as I'm getting up there in age (40), the Studio was starting to get quite heavy on my back and over the years she has gotten very battle damaged so I needed to find a good replacement that wouldn't kill my back or my tone. Since the BFG is chambered, it's very light compared to the other Les Pauls. In fact, I will go so far as to say that this guitar is the lightest of the bunch but still packs a huge wallop in the tone department. As far as tones are concerned, I had mine modified to suit my metallic style of playing but this guitar overall is extremely versatile to handle many different types of music. It will do metal just as well as rock, punk, country, jazz and pretty much anything out there. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I play in "Drop C" tuning so this guitar can handle high gauge strings (I use GHS Boomers, .52-.10s) and it doesn't sound muddy or farty whatsoever. In fact, my notes are more crisp with definition than they had ever been before, especially at such a low tuning. Start/stop/stacatto riffs now sound effortless. Even my backup ESP LTD Viper-300FM, which also features EMGs, doesn't even sound this good and that is definitely a "metal" guitar. I had the action setup quite low and although it's not a "shredder" guitar, I can bust out a solo and not have it fret out or have choked notes (which my Viper is infamous for, especially the 13th fret on the G string). As far as the little cosmetic changes (i.e. knobs, truss rod cover, strap locks, etc.), that was a no-brainer. A guitar should be aesthetically pleasing to you and never a source of embarrassment, which those wooden knobs definitely were. It might run you a little bit of coin to make the mods that will suit your needs/tastes but considering that your guitar is an extension of your creativity, it should also greatly reflect your personality as a player. As far as any flaws on this guitar, for once, I couldn't not find any. The lack of finishing adds a special cosmetic touch and charm to the guitar. Many people have checked out my guitar and commented that it looks like a "snakeskin" type of finish and it really gets people's attention, especially since it's a silverburst. It might take you a moment to get used to a neck that doesn't have inlay markers on it but not to worry. There are little dots on the side of the neck so you won't lose your way at all, even in low light settings. Speaking of the neck, it might feel a bit rough at first but once you get the feel for it, it's super fast, zero dead spots or fret buzz and very comfortable to play. Even now, I will find myself practicing for hours and not even realize the time of day. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have played many shows with it since I purchased/modified it and it has never let me down once. Never even broken a string. I could walk onto any stage and never worry that it won't give me 100% every time. Not only can I depend on it for playability, I can also depend that it will always get attention. I always get at least 2-3 guys to approach me after a gig and they specifically compliment me on my BFG and it's tone. I can't think of this happening with any other guitar I've had before. As I mentioned above, I have an ESP LTD Viper-300FM for a backup, but rarely ever do I have to pull it out of it's case. I have never even broken a string with my BFG and it stays in tune very well even after the abuse I put it through show after show. This guitar has also survived its shared of cold Michigan winters where it sat in the back of a frozen van with really bad shocks and suspension and after letting it warm up in the case for a bit, it comes out swinging. The same can be said for the blistering HOT summers it's played through as well as my hotter than Hades rehearsal room with me sweating like a whore in church over it. It may look like it's been through Hell but that's the charm here. I see so many guys take an expensive guitar like a PRS and they're afraid to play it with total conviction because it might get scratched, dinged, dented, sweated on, etc. This is not one of those guitars. It may not be pretty and granted, Gibson guitars are not cheap by any stretch of the imagination and the BFG can seem quite pricy for a guitar that isn't "finished" but you can rest assured that this guitar will take a knocking and come out rocking every time. You don't even have to worry about scrubbing and buffing it with lots of solvents and cleaners because there isn't any shiny surfaces to be concerned with here. I simply take a terry cloth and give it a good wiping after playing it and I'm good to go. Definitely built to last for the long haul. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing guitar since I was a wee lad (1978) and I couldn't be happier with this guitar. Of course, there are always going to be one or two things that you wish your guitar had but in reality, that's an impossibility. The lack of features on this guitar actually puts more of the focus on your playing and less on the the guitar itself. If it were lost/stolen, I would search the ends of the world and find the dirty bastard that had the balls to put their grubby little paws on my weapon and violate them anally with a meat cleaver. And if I had to buy it all over again, I would do so in a heartbeat (or if my bank account/wife would allow me to do so...) On the surface, it would appear that Gibson was merely looking to suck more money out of our wallets by featuring a guitar that looked like it was simply cobbled together with leftover parts but that's actually a plus here in quite a number of ways. The guitar is definitely not a museum piece nor is it one of those "holy grail" type of guitars where you put it in a climate controlled vault in the hopes of it fetching thousands of dollars half a century from now. No, this guitar was meant to be played and HARD. You can't ask for a more "battle ready" axe and if that isn't metal, then I don't know what is. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014