Les Paul Classic Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Classic
Guitar legend Gibson Les Paul Classic. Rosewood 22 frets/Pearl trapezoid, 2 pickups, two volume, two tone, three-way switch.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.1
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.8
 Features: 9.2
 8.9
 9.2
 8.5
reviews (15) pictures (5) 76 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2012

Features: Let's face it, this is a Les. It's not noted for it's technical array of features. If you want coil splitters, tremolo bars, a wild headstock, and inlays that looks like a bird shot out of the sky in mid-flight, then go get yourself something more suited to your tastes. The Les is simply a work of art. They weigh a ton, but the result is an unmatched NATURAL sustain. The advantage of the Les is it's simplicty. The classic has a two relatively hot pickups. No coil splitters or kiddy bars. The guitar is built like a rock. Mine is the Premium Plus and therefore has a AAA flamed top complimented by a Honeyburst finish. The tuners are not chrome or flashy, but they are exceptionally smooth and of high quality. The bridge is again, art through simplicity. No goofy little knobs to adjust the fine tune. No need to when the instrument is built so well. // 10

Sound: Sound is distinctively Les Paul. There are plenty of imitators, some come close (ala PRS), but ultimately if you want a Les sound, you have to get a Les. I play through a Polytone Mega Brute head and use a Mesa cab. The clean sound gives you about as close a punch to the Gibson L5 as you can get on a solid body. Has sustain like a bell. The low end is incredibly fat without getting muddled at all. On the other side of the coin, when I want to play some Ozzy or Metallica just to goof off and relive my childhood, it rises to the challenge effortlessly. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: "Premium Plus" leaves this 1997 Les with a beautiful AAA flamed top. The "classic" has the slimmer, 60's style neck. I have a fairly low action and I use 10's. The workmanship on this guitar is without flaw. I spent a great deal of time picking this guitar out. I chose this over a PRS (my first choice) due to it's warmer sound and better neck. However I have to say I am partial to the Honeyburst finish. The two PRSs that I liked had some ugly, kiddish looking teal and red finishes. I guess PRS is really trying to target the younger audience with it's finishes. Though you'd never know it by the price tags. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have not used it too much live and probably never will. I pretty much play for the fun of it. Having said that, there is nothing on this guitar that looks as though it won't outlive me. If there was ever a guitar you would label "Rock Solid" for durability and reliability, it would be any of the Les Pauls. I could probaby tunnel out of stone with this guitar and it would be fine. But then if you're reading this review you know about Les Pauls and are nodding in agreement already. // 10

Overall Impression: I have played casually since the early 80's. I have no regrets buying this guitar. I owned a Les Paul Custom back in 87'. I wish I never got rid of it. The Les Paul is a very distinct guitar. I can't imagine too many people buy a Les Paul who didn't go looking for one to begin with. If you go looking for a Les, consider the standard or Classic over the higher priced Custom. The sound identical, they just carry wildly different price tags. Btw, anyone notice that the price on Les Pauls has been going through the roof lately? Better get a used one! // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: mikeh, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sound Control

Features: - 22 frets - Two humbuckers Not a huge amount of features, but it's the quality, not the quantity. // 8

Sound: I play alot of metal mainly, but I always have time for the blues and some of the more light-hearted styles. All I can really say is that this guitar is extremely flexible andsounds good whether I'm fingerpicking along to stairway, or bashing out the scooped tones of pantera. It's all good. Another thing that hits you straight away is the really warm sound you can get through the bridge pickup and how amazingly long the guitar holds notes for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I bought this guitar it had been set up by some of the workers at the store, so I can't reallysay too much about that side of things. There we absolutely no flaws on this guitar, the neck attatched perfectly and firmly, the finish as radiant and comforting like nothing before. Absolutely gorgeous. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yet another strength of the Les Paul is its reliability. You can pretty much smack it around (not that I reccomend this) and it'll still play and sound as sweet as ever. Unlike my Strat which I pretty much have to readjust everytime I pick it up. I'd certainly gig this guitar with confidence. // 10

Overall Impression: I havent exactly been playing for a long time, but im pretty happy with how far I've come. I also own an Ibanez K7 and Fender Mexican Strat and if I'm perfectly honest, it blows them both away and still has time to play a pentatonic lick on itself. Thats how much I love this guitar. // 10

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: guitar centre

Features: Designed in the fifties - they got it right. I have played for almost 30 years and have come to the conclusion that you need the right tools for the job. For me there are two kinds of solid body electric guitars - Les Paul and Telecaster. Between the two there is little scope for other hybrids with the exception of the classic Strat sound which you can get close to with enough telly tweeking. The Les Paul is designed for its purpose. // 8

Sound: It does not do what a tele/strat does but it does everything else better. In this class of guitar you can only compare the Standard and the Classic. I play lead and the classic has a brighter sound which suits me. I have never heard or played a guitar that can match either of the Les pauls. Everyone who picks up a Les Paul and plays it either falls in love or goes into denial. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have the tradditional cherry finish on my Les Paul Classic Premium Plus. This is one of the few examples in life where form and purpose come together. It is a beautiful work of art. There is no more attractive looking solid body electric guitar, although Ibanez get close, very elegant. The Fender units whilst iconic don't cut it. My Les Paul came out of the box perfect: finish, setup, action, intonation - everything. It is few years old now and shows some usage but still got the looks (unlike myself). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will not malfunction. Here are the problems for live use. 1 - all Les Pauls I have played are sensitive to temparature, get it out under the lights, let the temperature stabilise and then tune it, coming back from a break let it take the heat from your hands (which does not take long and then tune it). 2 -strap buttons are too small, you must always use strap locks in rehearsal or playing. 3 - the neck is weak arround the nut, even more so with the slim 60's neck. If you drop it or bang it there is a good chance the head will snap at this point. Fenders especially teles are much stronger at this point. 4 - people want to steal a Les Paul more than any other guitar. // 8

Overall Impression: Despite the predominance of thought that the Les Paul is a hard/heavy rock beast, it is versitile and procudes a wide variety of clean(ish) tones. As mentioned earlier the Fender guitars excel at their task. If I had to choose only one guitar - it would be a Gibson Les Paul - and if I had to choose only one Les Paul. It would be a Classic Premium Plus. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2012

Features: These guitars are 'trendy' so go buy a Mesa Boogie Rectifier, tune your guitar 2 steps down and you can be like everyone else. And 5 years from now no one will touch a Les Paul. Personally, I hate them, they are ridiculously heavy (I owned a Black Beauty). I prefer my McCarty Paul Reed Smith which was just a few hundred more. The Les Pauls I've seen have paint drips and flaws on their finish brand new! The pickups? My pickups in PRS sound better, less hum, more sustain. Also I own a extremely light guitar/a Parker Night Fly and it has sustain for days! So why does a les Paul neck have to be so uncomfortable? You have to twist your hand to play upper registers!Besides who wants a orange guitar with cream pickguards? Sorry I'd buy a cheap Ibanez before a Les Paul. // 10

Sound: Suits my style which is metal, rock, hard rock, blues... Use Marshall JCM900 and DigiTech GNX3 for wah wah I play mostly straight thru the Marshall with little or no effects. Guitar is kinda muffled sounding, it's a good dirty sound rhythmn guitar, no variety should have a coil splitter!!! Great for blues!Average sound, not much difference than a cheaper model les paul as fas as sound goes. // 6

Action, Fit & Finish: Frets buzzed high register. Kept going sharp. Noisy electronics. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Too heavy to play live more than one song, would not take to gigs. Dependable? I'd never play it that long to know, its to heavy to rest on your thigh! Hardware seems good, solidly made. // 4

Overall Impression: I've been playing 33 years, have a Jackson USA made custom, Parker Night Fly, Fernandes Strat, PRS McCarty, and a Charvette acoustic/electric. I've traded the Les paul guitar back into the same store. It just got to where I never played it mainly because it was too heavy. One time I got a bruise on my thigh from playing too long sitting down! It really made my shoulders and neck, and upper back sore. I don't miss that guitar. The feature of the PRS besides the weight and sound that is needed on all les pauls is a coil splitter. It's like having a Strat and les paul sound in the same guitar. For a clean sound or rockabilly its mandatory. A les paul is trendy now, supposively there's something wrong if I still like using a Floyd Rose Tremelo in a solo (yes, I like to play guitar solos too!). I think some of the 3000 models, like Zakk Wylde model, don't sound that much different and are basically a waste of money. Its just an overrated guitar thats popular today... Lets have some variety! Design something new Gibson! Or, at least improve it, and lastly I think the stupidest thing is the 'aged' look/what is that about? You can now 'pose' with your Vintage guitar thats a FAKE Vintage??? // 2

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: Sigurd, on november 09, 2012

Features: Heritage Cherry Sunburst, 496R & 500T pickups, nothing really new here, oh, AND a cool case with the fluorescent pink lining. So ugly it's perty. // 10

Sound: I play through a Peavey 1960's reissue 50 Watt tube amp, usually though an Ibanez Tube Screamer. The amp's ok on it's own, unless better amps are around to campare it to. With the Tube Screamer, though, and depth of tone I get through the 496R, the setup sounds great. I am completely pleased with the pickups. I use .009-.042 strings. I really enjoy this guitar. It's like regaining the passion to play again. My old guitar was a nice quality cheaper guitar, but I just didn't have much motivation to play on my own anymore. I bought this instrument and now I play pretty much on a daily basis. I've never oened a guitar with sustain like this, and the pickups are very sensitive. My guitar solos have increased in quality tenfold because of this. It's added quite a few new sounds that I always tried to play with the last guitar, but could never quite find. For someone who's not a gifted musician who can make any guitar sound expensive, this guitar will improve your playing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I haven't found any flaws yet, after 2 months of ownership. The laminate job on the guitar, though, tends to get somewhat ... sticky, on the back of the neck. I never had that problem with the last guitar. An occasional cleaning helps out, but believe it or not, that tack sort of helps you bend notes by adding extra anchorage for your palm. I am wary about the tuners, but the guitar tends to stay in tune as well as other guitars I've owned. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Added strap locks, and the drilled holes for the stock strap buttons were crooked. Managed to get the strap locks on straight enough with a little elbow grease. Other than that, no problems. // 10

Overall Impression: Love the look of this guitar, and with the slim taper neck this guitar just begs to be played...absolutely effortless. I disagree with the folks who slam the pickups...Like some of the other reviewers here I originally thought how could so many people be wrong and thought about replacing the pickups; however, the more I played this guitar with the stock pickups the more I liked their sound and versatility...you just have to tweak the vol and tone controls on the guitar to get great tones. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: mark276, on november 09, 2012

Features: I got my Les Paul Classic new last October. It is in Honey Burst, a truely beautiful color, and it has a rosewood fretboard. It came with a 496R Humbucker in the neck position and a 500T Humbucker in the bridge position. It has a much more playable neck than the fifties models which are far too thick for your average player. It also came with a case, which is a given for a guitar of this price range. // 10

Sound: Pretty much everything you'd expect from a Les Paul Classic, except the exposed humbuckers give it the ability to get "hot" much like an SG. I've also found that it's not too noisy, especially on rythym. I use it mostly with my Marshall MG15CDR but it works best with my uncle's Marshall '73 Super Lead and Hiwatt 4*12 combo. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I usually have to adjust the action right out of the box, but that was not the case with this guitar. I did put in strap-locks and as one of the previos reviewers said it did come out crooked at first but after fooling around with it for a while I fixed the problem. Otherwise I have had no problems and the finish of course is typically beautiful. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played this guitar at several different gigs since I've owned it and it has more than met the challenge. I would feel safe playing without a back-up, but I bring my Telecaster anyway because I use it for a few songs. The pick-up selector button is a little flimsy and it has a slight crack in it, but overall it is a highly reliable guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a wide variety of music, but my main style is heavy blues rock. For that type of music I can't say I've found a better guitar. The weight has not been an issue for me or any of my friends who have played them. I've been playing for about two years and I also own a Fender Telecaster and a Fender Strat, but my favorite is my Les Paul Classic. If it were lost or stolen I would definately buy another, as soon as I was brought back to conciousness. And as for the previous reviewer, who said that no one will care about Les Pauls in five years...this has been the number one rock and roll guitar since the fifties... how's it feel to be stupid? // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: Publicservices, on november 09, 2012

Features: I've (or rather my dad has) mutated this guitar. But the tone is still excellent. I've also redone the finish but it was originally Cherry Burst. More to the point. This gutar doesn't many features. Just a pair of AWESOME humbuckers and a 3-way selecter. And it is fairly heavy, it'll hurt your shoulder after a while. // 6

Sound: This guitar can do anything from Soul to Pop to Punk. Since I play alot of punk and metal I use the disortin alot! The tones are fat and thick with distorion, and the clean tones are smooth. But they don't have much chime to them (maybe it's just my amp). This guitar is great for just about any style. The only downside is the is the flat clean tones I mentioned earlyer. This guitar is also awesome with a wha-wha pedal. It can make some of the weiredist sounds possible. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Not much to say about the fininsh like I said before it now has an electric blue finish. The tuners some times get stuck also but it's not in bad shape. The pick ups are hot and sound good on almost any selecetion. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar could go through hell and then play a show. It's rock hard. You can bet on this guitar with you life. I've played for 13 hours with out doing work on it. // 10

Overall Impression: I've got one thing to say. This guitar is good for anyone who plays heaver music (but it works for all types of music also). It's an awesom guitar for the road. // 8

Purchased from: Kosmic Sound and Lighting

Features: 22 frets, two gold tophat volume, two gold tophat tone, gold hardware, 496R (neck), 500T (bridge) pickups, ebony gloss finish with cream outline and pick guard. Finish is very elegant overall. Comes with a moulded case, soft inside, and protective satin cover for the guitar. // 10

Sound: The guitar was made to suit a seventies rock tone, much like that of Jimmy Page and Slash. The bridge pickup in particular screams the notes when plugged through my Boss DS-1, and when using both pickups the clean or dirty tone is gorgeous. With an almost natural reverb sound coming from the pickups it makes an extremely high class tone for rock music. // 10

Reliability & Durability: As it is one of the nicest guitars I have ever experienced I would definetly use it as my main guitar. I have an Ibanez backup by there is no way I would use it unless absolutely necessary. With the strap buttons, I needed to buy strap locks for it to sit on my neck without falling. Mainly due to the weight, however it is a pain to have to buy seperate locks. // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing for roughly six years and I doubt that I will find anything with such great tone and sustain. The basic structure is the same as your Gibson Les Paul Standard, but with the pickups having higher output and tone, the overall result is amazing. Would definetly reccomend it to anyone who asked. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Well most of the features of this guitar can be found in previous reviews, so I'm not gonna waste time typing it out all over again. // 10

Sound: I play almost everything that requires a guitar. With a Line 6 PODXT Live mixer and a Fender amp, I could play from classical stuff, jamming with violins and cellos, to jumping around on stage, playing pop rock, punk rock, hard rock, metal (and the list goes on). The guitar is just superb for all of it. Fire it up and you can play stuff like that just like the real bands. Then turn everything down and it becomes a perfect sound for jazz, blues, country and all acoustic stuff. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was well made, Gibson will be Gibson. Some say the neck of this Les Paul is hard to play on, I say it's even easier to play for me. I can play much faster on this neck than on my other Fernandes Strat neck. The body was well finished and everything was flawless. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Some say this guitar is way too heavy for long period of live playing. I think otherwise. It's admittedly quite heavy when you first wear it on, but then gradually as you play on, the burden gets lighter and lighter as you settle with it. I have already taken it to quite a number of gigs, each lasting for a few hours. I almost play it everyday and the hardware has never had a flaw, personally think it will outlive me. It is true that the strap buttons for Les Pauls are too small, so it's really recommended that you guys buy straplocks, for safety, trust me, this isn't a guitar you want to drop. I am normally very serious about safety, but I'm sure I wouldn't need to backup this guitar. // 9

Overall Impression: As I've said before, I play everything, and this guitar can play everything for me. The Les Paul is a masterpiece. Every part of it is as delicate as artwork, but as tough as steel. I bought a Les Paul Classic in Ebony finish, the ebony combines well with the gold pickguard and body binding. The colour shows a certain degree of superiority and elegance over other styles. I'm still quite young and my dad, who also plays guitar, bought me this Les Paul, if it were stolen or lost, don't think my dad would buy it for me again, but it's so good I'd be willing to save up pocket money to buy it again. Once you've got your hands on one of these guitars, it will blow every other axe you have away. Once I bought it, I totally forgot the existence of the Fernandes Strat I also have. Lastly, you don't have to play like Slash or Kirk to own a Les Paul, hey, I've only been playing for 3 years. Since I bought this last year, my technique and speed improved a lot. Now I can play lots of really hard stuff. So Les Paul may not only be for the good players, it's a worthwhile investment for others to be good players too. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: Lespaulclash, on november 09, 2012

Features: The year this guitar was made was 1999. The guitar was manufactured in the USA. The fretboard is made out of rosewood and I'm not sure about the fret size. The scale is 24 3/4". The top is carved maple. The body is made out of Mahogany and so is the neck. The finish is copper natural. The body is similar to the original Les Paul design with the single cutaway. The bridge style is Tune-O-Matic. The electronics are passive. The controls are a 3-way switch with volume and tone for both pickups. The pickup configuration is two open coil humbuckers. The models of the humbuckers are 500T ceramic in the bridge and 496R ceramic in the neck. The tuners are locking and I've changed them to Grover. I bought it used so I'm not sure what came with it originally but it did come with a case. // 9

Sound: I play many different styles of music such as punk, ska, reggae, jazz, metal, modern rock, classic rock, metal, hardcore, metalcore, and etc. and it fits every single style. The pickups are very versatile. I use a Vox AD30VT 30 watt combo and DigiTech 300A. I never get a hiss or hum unless I have my amp pushed to its limits and I'm standing less then a foot away. With different combinations of the pickups you can get a very rich and hot sound with the bridge, an airey sound with both pickups on, and a smooth sound with the neck. I use the bridge for metal, punk, and other genres that use high gain. The bridge could also be used for a british invasion sound. Combined the pickups give you a full sound that works great with modern rock or you could tweak the tone and get Clapton's woman tone. The neck sounds great for jazz and blues, really smooth. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got the guitar used the action was perfect, not too high or too low. The pickups were also adjusted to perfection. Overall the guitar had no flaws except for being heavy you might need a locking strap. The one tone knob got loose after a year of playing. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has withstand its previous owner Who played at bars, my gigs, and school shows. My shows were never rough just me with my guitar playing solos but I imagine it got roudy at the bars for the previous owner. The hardware does seem like it will last except for the knobs are getting loose but they can be replaced for cheap. The straps buttons are solid but you will need a locking strap for shows. I definitely can depend on this guitar and I do not have a backup because this guitar was expensive and it can taken a beating. I would probably think twice about bringing it to a show with aggressive music. The finish has stayed on for 7 years so I have Faith in it for another 7. // 9

Overall Impression: I play basically every genre and this guitar can. I don't think there is a better match for me. I have been playing for 4 years and I would have probably quit if I was stuck with my unplayablely bad squire. If lost or stolen I would buy again. I would consider a Les Paul Custom though. I love the fast neck and hot pickups. This will be my "Lucielle" or "Blackie", I will never get rid of this. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: Robman2k9, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: I bought this guitar on eBay after wishing I had a Les Paul for years. It came in a Gibson hardshell case with black silk lining and a combination lock. The guitar was in mint condition and looked awesome with its gleaming Vintage sunburst finish. The slim '60s neck fit my hands perfectly and the aged mother of pearl inlays matched the finish well. // 10

Sound: The Les Paul Classic suits my style quite well, from blues and jazz to hard rock and heavy metal in the style of Queen and Guns N' Roses. My only complaint with the sound is the treble pickup and it's inability to sound as loud as it counterpart, the rhythm pickup. As I hinted earlier, the guitar is extrememley versatile and can be used to play a wide range of music. When plugged into my Vox AD15VT amplifier, the Les Paul screams with rich bluesy sound. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was from a preveous owner so I cannot comment on its factory set-up, but it was comfortable when I recieved it. But this is when a problem became evident: a dead note. Whenever I tried to bend the note on the tenth fret of the high-E string the note would just die. It was then that I had to counteract the problem by raising the action slightly. It wasn't a big deal, but I payed enough to have a perfect guitar. I also had to lower the bridge pickup because whenever tried to mute the low E string it would brish against the pickup causing a popping noise. After these two problems were fixed I now have a seemingly perfect guitar. For the dead note it gets a 7. // 7

Reliability & Durability: No one should gig without a backup guitar, still the Les Paul is a very durable guitar. Though I have had no promblems with them yet, the strap buttons will need to be replaced with locks to avoid bad situations on stage. The hardware will probably last, even though the chrome bridge (or nickel) seem to be fading already. The instrument stays in tune extremely well, but again strap locks ar necessary, the standard ones are just too small. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I think this will be my guitar of choice for years to come. It certainly beats out my Gibson SG Faded in both looks and performance. If it were stolen I'd probably save up my money and upgrade to a Les Paul Custom, but realistically and still try to recover it. I dislike several things: the unbinded headstock (it leaves the guitar looking unfinished), the dark finish round the pickup selector (it may be picky, but all my fingerprints and skin cells show up so well). I like the rest of it though, I'm a big fan of the uncovered pickups, and I will be playing it for years to come. // 8

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: Kurt_Rosenwinkl, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Henris Music

Sound: This is my favorite guitar. It plays like a dream, and has that classic Les Paul tone, although the stock pickups are shit (sounds very burried). I switched them out with Jm Rolph handwound pickups, and it sounds incredible now. it's not noisy at all, Huge Sound with the right amp. I play through a Peavey classic 50 from the '80s, and use a old tube screamer, Yngwie Malmsteen overdrive, and it just sounds huge. I agree it can't sound like a Strat, but unless you put a humbucker in a Strat, the Strat can't sound like a les paul (why the hell would you put a humbucker in a Strat beats me). I do own a Strat, and I like both for different reasons. If your lookin for a huge warm tone, this is the guitar for you. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect at the shop. The pickups like I said were just junk, but maybe it was just the one I bought. The guitar was in perfect condition. I played 5 other les pauls in the store, ranging from the Standard to the Studio (Studios are junk). This guitar played the best and sounded the best out of all of those. I went in there looking for a standard but this one stuck out so much more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've played out Live with it, and it is very reliable. I have dropped it a few times, and sofar nothing bad happened heh (I really try not to drop it). You definately need strap locks for this beast. it's heavy but what les paul isnt? I use my Strat also, but it's only for the type of sound I'm going for. Finish is heavy. // 10

Overall Impression: I play jazz, rock, fusion, funk etc. I've been playing for 6 years. I have a Peavy Classic 50 from the '80s, Original Tube Screamer, Yngwie Malmsteem overdrive, Keeley Compressor, Ibanez analog delay (reissue), and a Old Boss CE-2 (Black Label Japan), and a Keeley modded Boss DS-1. If this guitar was stolen or lost, I would imediately save up all my money to replace this beast. It has become a huge part of my playing and the sound I'm looking for. It sounds huge if you have the right equipment. I hate that it's heavy as a brick, but that's the Les Paul thing. You really can't compared a Les Paul to a Strat or a Tele, but if your into the les paul thing, what better instrument then a Les Paul? I really recommend getting new pickups if the guitar was nething like mine. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: My Les Paul Classic is a 1991 model (the second year these were produced) and is a made in Nashville, model in Vintage Sunburst. The axe is just perfect in weight and is mahogany with a bookmatched top. Standard like all the others in features, 496 and 500T hot pickups. Standard Tune-O-Matic bridgesetup, '60s slim neck, 3 position selector, Standard Gibson green key tuners, hardcase included. A quintisential Les Paul. Let's leave it at that! // 9

Sound: My band plays an Indie-pop-emo-rock style and this thing can do it all! I'm running a Mesa Single Rectifier Solo 50 head through an Orange 2X12" cab and it sounds wonderful. No effects or any of that ish at all! The tone is really sharp and to the point. Not bright like a Fender single coil but a tad bit brighter than most Pauls you'd hear. The hot ceramic humbuckers are louder than your average pups so expect some feedback through a high gain amp! This guitar is really versatile. The sustain is solid (although switching to a Tone Pros bridge would be beneficial in that area! ) and the pickups are really quite versatile. I can get a bluesey, ballsy tone outta my neck but switch to the lead bridge and you have some rocking tone. Not too shrill. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: My guitar was used, so I can really comment on that! As you should always do when buying a guitar, I took it to my luthier Who setup my guitar with fresh strings, had HIM adjust my tad to sweeten the tone and just give it a good check up. All the wiring was excellent upon inspection, the finish is great (apparently the 1990-93 classics were superior than the newer ones as far as finish goes) and everything worked great! I am planning on putting a Tone Pros bridge on the guitar though so that when changing my strings, my setup wont be affected and the sustain/tone is even more consistent/superior! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a tank, a beautiful tank! I've taken it out on the road on tour with no backup, and I feel fine with that! Unlike a flimsy SG, this Paul is built to last and to rock! The hardware seems great, the pickups superb and the strap buttons sturdy. I use Dunlop strap locks (the cheapy plastic ones! $1.50 each and they are really reliable and they don't require any mods to the axe! I wouldn't go anywhere without em! // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is perfect for the kind of music I play. I was formerly a Tele guy but a Les Paul Classic really gives me that extra oomph that I need to give us a signature sound! I've played for 2 years now (Bass for 4+! ) and I've owned Fender USA Teles, Highway 1 Teles, 69 Thinline reissues, 72 Tele Deluxe reissues and a Gibson Les Paul Special Faded, and this by far takes the cake! I only want to put a Tone Pros bridge on the guitar to finally take it to the next level! If it were stolen I'd most definately try and get another! I love the finish, the sound, the feel and overall durabillity of this guitar! I shopped long and hard to find my perfect Les Paul (see the countless Epi Elitists (nice), Les Paul Standards, Les Paul Studios, etc that I tried out) and this was the best one I could find! A worthy investment. I can't stress it enough! As a beginning/intermediate player, having a solid guitar goes a long ways in your progression/learning process. Amps are less important in that sense! Having a better guitar has really been a help because it feels better to play, sounds consistently better which is a mental plus and it really just boosts morale! It can't hurt, just watch your wallet! // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: mattfm, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: $ 1999

Features: I'm guessing this was made recently, I don't know how to read the serial number. It has 22 frets on rosewood. The 60s neck is amazing, not too thin or too wide. The body and neck are both mahogany with a maple top. I have this in the cherry sunburst and it is beautifully done. There is a 500T pickup at the neck and a 496R at the bridge. I plan on swapping the neck one for a fatter pickup in the future, preferably one with a cover. The tuners hold suprisingly well for not locking. Everything else is normal, tune-o-matic, passive electronics, tone and volume for each pickup, and a HardTail stopbar. A nice locking case with a white faux fur kinda thing on the inside came with this. // 10

Sound: I play mostly rock, with a little bit of blues. I'm running this through a Fender FM65, and it sounds amazing! When I tried it through the tube amp at the store, it sounded even better. It sounds as good as it looks on a clean channel. The bridge pickup can sound almost as sharp as a single coil turned all the way up to 10 on tone and volume, but can be made as fat as the neck pickup. The sounds are endless with the tone and volume knobs. It sounds just as good distorted, a really mean growl that has no feedback. The only feedback is coming from my amp naturally. I turned up the volume to 10 the other day and it sounded just as good and crisp that high up. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There are no flaws with this guitar at all. The action is perfect, I've never played a guitar with it better. It's just high enough not to hit the frets, but not too high to be unplayable. The pickups are fine, they just look a little sloppy without covers, but I really don't care, I'm swapping them soon enough. The top is bookmatched fine, it looks like one piece of wood. There are no flaws that I have noticed in the time I have had this guitar. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will last forever. All of the hardware is amazingly sturdy. My strap buttons aren't stock, the guy replaced them with strap locks before I even take them home, and I recommend you do so if you buy this because this guitar is really heavy and it would be heartbreaking to ruin this finish. This is a Gibson, it will last. Nothing else said. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock and blues like I said before. This guitar can be played with anything, and I stand by that. I've been playing for about 5 years now. I also have this cheap Strat copy, a little Boss practice amp, a Fender FM 65, and a few pedals. I made no mistake in buying this. If it were stolen, I would be so upset you wouldn't believe it. The only reason I wouldn't buy it again anytime soon is because I wouldn't be able to afford it. I also tried a Standard and a double cut, I liked this one the best for the price and the features. I just wish it had pickup covers. // 10

Les Paul Classic Reviewed by: johnnyray666, on november 09, 2012

Features: This Les Paul was made in the USA, not sure of the year because the classic series Les Paul's serial numbers don't read the same as most of the other models. Like most Les Pauls it has 22 frets on a rosewood fretboard with pearloid trapezoid inlays. It has a true 60's slim-tapered bound mahogany neck set into a chambered mahogany body with a bound carved plain maple top. This is the lightest Les Paul I have ever played, due to the chambered body. It has a 496R ceramic humbucker in the neck position, and a 500T at the bridge position. Mine came in a Vintage sunburst finish. It has the Standard Les Paul control set-up, 2 volume, 2 tone, and a 3-way Switch. I got the last one they had in stock. It has the Standard Tune-O-Matic bridge with the stop tail-piece, and the classic green Gibson Deluxe tuning keys. I did not get the hard case with it because my wife would only let me spend $1, 700, so I saved about $200. I bought a gigbag to get it home in, and ordered a less expensive case online. // 9

Sound: I mostly play Surf Rock, which is mostly dominated by Fender guitars, so this guitar is not really suited for that style of music. I also love classic southern rock, and this guitar suits that style perfectly. I have always wanted a Gibson Les Paul though. So I got one, and I do love this guitar. I use Fender, Marshall, Randall, and Peavey amps, I do have a DigiTech multi-effect unit, and various pedals (wah, overdrive and so on) so I can get a wide range of tones. The pickups are pretty hot, so you gotta use a noise gate when you crank the distortion up. This guitar has a real deep, ballsy tone to it, which I really dig. It's an awesome guitar. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it at Guitar Center, so it was set-up pretty good, real smooth playing. The bridge pickup was set a little hight, but GC set it up that way, and I lowered it a little when I got it home. The top is a plain top, but it looks to be very slightly figured, kinda like Jimmy Page's old Les Paul. It appears to have been built with really good quality wood. The bridge and tail-piece are perfect, and of real high quality. The finish on this guitar is not perfect, it is kinda bumpy a little, and there are a lot of little bubbles around the neck joint, and the binding is not flush with the body all around. They got a little laquer on the fretboard too. The 3-way Switch pops when you use it. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar would withstand Live playing, it is a professional guitar. The hardware seems to be really good, and reliable. The strap buttons are a little small, but they usually are small on Gibson's, so I will be putting in some Dunlop strap locks. I can depend on it, you should never gig without a backup. No matter how good your main guitar is. You never know if you will break a string. It is a lot easier to change guitars in the middle of a show, than it is to change a string. // 9

Overall Impression: I like to play a lot of styles of music, mostly Surf Rock, but I do enjoy playing Southern rock, hard rock, rockabilly, classic rock, heavy metal, and anything else that rocks. This guitar is a good match for most of the music I play. I play a Fender '62 reissue Jaguar for the Surf stuff, and I use my Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson SG, and my Dean ML for everything else. I wish I would have asked what year it was made, but I guess I can just look that up in the internet. I love the way this guitar feels, I love the way it sounds, and I don't like how the hard case would have cost me almost $200. I spent about 4 hours in Guitar Center trying out guitars, and I was about to give up and go home. Then I saw the Les Paul Classic and asked if I could play it, and I played it for about 5 mins and then I told them I would take it. If it were lost or stolen, I would Like to get another one, but they are just too expensive. I would have to sell a few things to get a new one. I kinda wish it had a highly figured flame top, but that would have added $1,000's to the price tag. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Standard '60s 9.6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014