Les Paul Classic Custom Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 12/19/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Classic Custom
'60s neck profile, '57 Classic pick-ups, Grover Keystone Tuners, Baked maple fretboard w/ 22 frets, acrylic inlays. All-in-all, a well-built guitar! I'm very impressed with this guitar, Gibson is scoring a home run on this one, that's for damn-sure!
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 9.5
 9.3
 9.5
reviews (2) pictures (10) 21 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Classic Custom Reviewed by: gerrygtr62, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: $ 2047

Purchased from: Guitar Center, Fountain Valley, CA

Features: Looks like it was made between 2011-2012 - finished in antique natural... '60s neck profile, '57 Classic pick-ups, Grover Keystone Tuners, Baked maple fretboard w/ 22 frets, acrylic inlays... All-n-all, a well-built guitar! I'm very impressed with this guitar, all the reviews and accolades are well-warranted, Gibson is scoring a home run on this one, that's for damn-sure! // 10

Sound: Oh, man, this thing rips through my duo of Blackstars... I was initially concerned playing thru my solid-state Peavey Vypyr 15 combo [sounded sterile, plus wasn't able to execute pich harmonics, LOL!]... It gives out great, sparkly clean tones, awesome lead tones on both positions... This thing is dead-quiet, no microphonic feedback/noise whatsoever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Action right off the bat was low and fast, I couldn't ask for anything else, really. Pick-up were set just fine... Frets looks Stellar and shiny. Contruction is flawless, except for a minor binding issue inside the cutaway. Other than that, it looks sweet, love it overall! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is, no doubt, built solid, it can withstand anything [I don't think I'll do anything stupid with it, are ya kidding, LOL! ]..strap buttons are strong... Finish looks great. I'm sure I'll be able to depend on it for quite some time... All the Gibsons I've ever had were pretty reliable, I expect the same from the LPCC! // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic/modern covers, so having this guitar will enhance my playing by far... Been playing for well over 35 yrs +... I knew exactly what I was getting and read the rave reviews on this beauty. I love everything about it, was very lucky to have scored this thing, since my local shops didn't have it unfortunately... This is my first Gibson in such a long time [had Studio LP in Alpine White, SG Std in Ebony, SG Special in Ebony, BB King in red, Gibson LP Deluxe, Gibson Spirit]... If stolen or lost, hell yeah I'd get it again. // 10

Les Paul Classic Custom Reviewed by: WinterOrb, on december 19, 2012

Price paid: C$ 2200

Purchased from: L&M

Features: Made in 2012 USA - Ebony Finish - 60s neck - 57 Classic Pickups - Baked maple fretboard with 22 frets - Acrylic inlays - Tune-O-Matic bridge - Grover Key stone tuners - 2 Volume and 2 tone controls - Split Diamond inlay - Solid body with weight relief, for those that don't know it has holes drilled into the body to remove some weight. The baked maple does the job just fine, I know this is a big debate amongst the non-purists. This guitar is flawless and looks great. This could be called the "Working mans Custom". // 9

Sound: I play using a Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 and also run a Blackheart Handsome Devil. The guitar sounds good. Not as clear as my Gibson Standard, but can cover most songs that I play faithfully. When the gain is cranked you'll never know the difference. People say it is a bit bright, but if you know how to run your amps EQ and the tone knobs on the guitar you can fix that, if to your ears you think it needs fixing. I almost prefer to have it over bright so I can adjust accordingly than not having the option. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup came surprisingly good out of the box. Pickups were set fine. The guitar came to me flawless. The guys at the store know how particular about quality that I am, so they make sure to send me only the best specimens. My only complaint is that the truss rod cover is angled a bit at the top screw, so that it leans at a small angle. I really like how shiny the guitar is and the 7 ply binding looks great. The baked maple fretboard doesn't clash with the color. My board came really dark. I was concerned that when it was sent it may be lighter in color. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar looks and feels like quality and should withstand the coming apocalypse. In fact, I plan on using it as my shield when the world starts to end (assuming it ends December 21st). Strap buttons on Gibsons are a joke, I replace them all with Schaller strap locks. The finish should last a long time. The pots so far have held up nice (no scratchy-ness). I've had the guitar for almost a year now and haven't had any problems. I doubt any major issues will come up unless I accidentally break something. // 10

Overall Impression: I play anything that sounds good to my ears. Rock, Blues, Classic rock... Anything really. This guitar can cover it all. It may have some issues with Metal though. I bought my first guitar in 1994 and have been playing on and off ever since. I also own a Gibson Les Paul Standard and an American Fender Standard Strat. If stolen I would probably try to get another one. Overall I'm very satisfied with this guitar and if you want it you'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands. I'm sure if you're lucky enough to get one you'll feel the same way about it as I do.

// 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Standard '60s 9.6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014