Les Paul Custom Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Custom
Slightly sloppy finishing and the sticky neck for the first couple days until it is 'broken in' but I love this guitar and will own it for a long time.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.2
 Features: 7.2
 7.8
 7.3
 8.3
reviews (5) pictures (1) 80 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Wow. The "features" of this guitar were dissapointing. This is a 2010 model and it lacks in features. When will Gibson learn that a full 24 fret neck is good and offer Ebony insted of rosewood. For 4k you are stuck with rosewood bord tune o matic Bridge and stock gibby pups. The headstock also need to be re angeled or it breaks off. I could see this kind of stuff on a guitar under 1k but for 4 no thank you gibson. Also set neck is the worst neck joint ever. Just make it neck thru it will be 1000 times better. // 1

Sound: Well my hind end gets a tone after eating spicy mexican food that's better than this. Talk about muddy. I'm playing it through a Peavey JSX and a 6505 and it has no balls. The attack is weak and the guitar has way to much fret buzz. The neck joint makes reaching the upper frets impossible and the notes fret out anyway. // 1

Action, Fit & Finish: Hear we go. What factory setup? For 4k+ this is single handedly the worst guitar I have ever had the horror of playing. The frets were not installed properly. I could fit my pinkey finger between the strings at the 12th fret and their was still alot of buzz. The pickups were not wired in properly and the tune 0 matic Bridge was way off center. After a week in my house the maple top started to come off because of the humidity. And the tuneing satbility of the guitar was horrible. The going out of tune problem is because of the set neck. I have a Ibanez V Blade and a BC Rich Handmade V and they don't go out of tune ever. The neck thru necks are why. Terrible just terrible. // 1

Reliability & Durability: I would never use this guitar live. The finish is to delicat and the tuneing stability make it unplayable. The strap buttons are in the wrong place and the guitar is to heavy. The finish looks good but it is not durable at all. And the head stock will break if I drop it. I guss is should break it off and glue it back at least then it will be durable. // 1

Overall Impression: This guitar sucks. I've been playing for 10 years and own a usa BC Rich V, Ibanez V Blade and a Jackson KV2 and all three of those guitars make this one look like shit. I wouldn't want this guitar to get stolen because I wouldn't want that person to have to deal with the shit of this guitar. Just because it says Gibson on the headstock dosnt mean its good. For 4k I could of got a Custom Ran guitar and a Engl savage. Oh and one last thing Gibson GUITARS ARE NOT HANDMADE. They are made on a cnc machine to cut cost. I wish I could rate this a 0 because that's what it is. Don't belive the hype Gibson guitars are turds. // 1

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: Sleazeball, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Digital Village, Romford

Features: Purchased new in 2010 (assuming it's either a 2009 or 2010 model) this is a Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul Custom. Mine is a Black Beauty style - Ebony with Gold Hardware but with 2 pickups. Typical les paul configuration:- 2 volume & 2 tone knobs, 3 way selector, tune-o-matic bridge & stop tailpiece, 22 frets, set neck with a 50's profile, block inlays, Gibson 498T and 490R pickups. Came with a Gibson Custom case, truss rod & restringing manuals, warranty card etc. Rating 8 because you buy a Les Paul knowing it has somewhat confined fret access, although it has a versatile electronics conficuration. // 8

Sound: Fantastic sound. I also own a Jackson KV2 which I upgraded with a Brass Big Block, but in terms of sustain, resonance and character, even the upgraded Jackson cannot compete with the Les Paul. Sounds that can be acheived are anything from crystal clean jazz to chunky metal sounds through the Gibson humbuckers. It cannot do singlecoil cleans, and isn't particularly suited to extremely high gain metal. I play this through a Marshall JVM410H, and whilst this guitar cuts through the mix, is deep and full sounding, has lovely character, the pickups do lend themselves to a bluesy/classic voicing, which kind of gives a slightly fizzy high gain tone for metal. However, as said before, the guitar is versatile and will do most things. Sounds fantastic on a mid/high gain setting for hard rock. Wouldn't consider changing the pickups for anything other than perhaps a Duncan JB to 'clean up' the fizz for metal (I refer to metal tones a lot because I do play in a metal band, as well as a hard rock/groove band). // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Action is fantastic. Very low straight off the peg but I lowered it a tiny bit further and no buzz at all. I wondered about Gibsons fretwork for a while as I owned a Les Paul Standard Faded for about a week which had high action and bent notes fretted out past the 12th fret. Pickups were actually a little too high from factory set up so I lowered them a bit. Hardware all intact and the guitar looks gorgeous, intonated and tuned up perfectly straight out of the box. However, upon closer inspection the guitar does have a few cosmetic factory flaws. Nothing huge, but it looks like there are some small filing dents/blemishes on the neck binding just below the pickup selector, when I changed the strings there was some debris which came out of the nut which appears to have not been cut properly. Slightly sloppy paintwork around the neck joint, but as suggested before, it's hardly noticeable until you really inspect the guitar. // 7

Reliability & Durability: Used it twice live within the first week of getting it. Feels very solid like a Les Paul should, very confident it will hold up for many years of gigging with no issues. Hardware is generally very solid, wouldn't use it without a backup as that's asking for trouble at a live gig! However, I still can't appreciate Gibson's "vintage style" strap buttons. Gibson should take note of Jackson/BC Rich oversied strap buttons and put these on stock - much safer, but then again anyone who wants to use this guitar live and not have it crash to the floor will put strap buttons on. The finish is a nitrocellulose, and while Gibson advertise this style finish as much better for "allowing the wood to breathe", for the first couple of days the guitars neck is quite sticky, but this goes away after playing and wiping with a cloth, and barely remains a problem. // 7

Overall Impression: My main band is a melodic/thrash metal band (Megadeth/Testament/Paradise Lost), and this guitar plays like a dream. Soloing is easy, and rhythm tones sound chunky (although slightly fizzy as mentioned before), so I will continue to use my Jackson for this band (plus it has a whammy bar). I do however use this guitar for my other band (groove/hard rock) and it fits perfectly. Always wanted a Les Paul and the Custom is the cream of the crop. Looks, sounds and plays brilliantly for most styles. Overall, slightly sloppy finishing and the sticky neck for the first couple days until it is 'broken in' but I love this guitar and will own it for a long time. // 8

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: tristen_jones, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: House of Guitars

Features: My Les Paul was made in the USA in '09. There are 22 Ebony frets, they are jumbo, at least I think so compared to previous guitars I've had :P It's solid body and mad out of mahogany for both the neck and body. The finish is Alpine White and the only downside to it is that when it gets an indent or a stain it's quite noticeable unless you get rid of it. Same thing with dust, it gets very noticeable over time and you have to clean it time and time again. It's a cutaway making the higher frets easier to play solos on and it is a 3-way channel and it's Bridge is tune-o-matic and is fixed onto the body. The only thing that irritates me is that the G, B, and e strings will sometimes constantly become un-tuned. There are 2 Volume and 2 Tone knobs and the downfall to them is that if you accidently pull up on one then it will pop up a little and stay that way. No matter how hard you push down. My Les Paul came with 2 Humbucker pick ups and of course with the Alpine White finish, it has gold hardware. Which wears off over time and you see the original silver or chrome colour that it was before. // 8

Sound: The. Sound. Is. AMAZING. That's all I can really say about it. You can play any type of genre on this guitar, from old school rock 'n roll to modern metal, doesn't matter. The tone can be very clean and crisp and then be vet fat and chunky. It's DELICIOUS xD This is one of the best sounding guitars I've ever heard. What I mainly play is punk-rock, alternative rock and old rock 'n roll and some metal and this guitar sounds great in all those genres. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I got this guitar, there was nothing wrong with it. At all. It looked like just how it would on the computer, or hanging up on the wall of Guitar Center or some other guitar store. It was beautiful. I didn't notice a thing wrong with it until of course the year it's been with me and the non stop playing I do with it ha ha. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm yet to play with this guitar live, but with all the playing that I do at home when I stand up, it holds up. I would definitely use it live w/o a backup if I needed too. The only issue that I really have with the strap buttons is that they are small. If you're gonna play standing up on a stage or wherever please for the sake of all good holy guitars, HAVE A STRAP LOCK. I've almost dropped this guitar more than once because of that issue. To go along with the finish lasting... Yes. I think it'll last you a long time as long as you're taking care of it and as long as you don't polish it with sandpaper :P // 9

Overall Impression: This guitar goes perfectly with the type of music I play and will definitely go well with other types of music too. I play this guitar through a Marshall MG30FX with a MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal and the sound I get from it is just incredible. I've never had a sound so powerful but gentle at the same time. It's like hard to explain, it's just pure beauty ha ha If I ever lost this or it got stolen... I would definitely get my refund and get another ha ha. There isn't much I hate besides the things I mentioned before about the untuning and the noticeable dust and yadda yadda yadda. The things I love is that it is easy to pla. Most guitars that have paint over the neck get your hands stuclk or something but this one doesn't there isn't that friction between you and the guitar. When I bought this there wasn't much to compare it too lol this is the greatest guitar I'll ever own, the one I had before this was a Greg Benette Samick Torino TR-1 which was still amazing but traded the babe in for my bass. There's nothing to really wish it had. It has everything that you would expect out of a Gibson. It goes above and beyond the standards of any guitar. // 9

Price paid: A$ 3900

Purchased from: Guitar World

Features: This is a 2011 black Les Paul Custom. 22 frets with a carved maple top and mahogany body. It has a '59 rounded neck profile with pearl block inlays on an ebony fretboard. Pick-ups are 490R in the neck and 498T in the bridge position. The fit and finish is just about perfect - I can't find any problems with it anywhere. Everything fits together really well, couldn't be more pleased with it. I've seen some Les Pauls that don't look that well built, but this one seems really good. // 9

Sound: I generally play blues and classic rock, but also like to be able to play hard rock and jazz on occassion. I think the Les Paul can play most stuff well, but for me it really fits the blues / classic rock better than anything. However, with stronger pick-ups or different amp / pedals it could easily get to metal territory. The sustain is simply amazing on this guitar. I also find it so much easier to get and maintain vibrato on this than any of my other guitars, no doubt due to the amazing sustain. My other two guitars are an Ibanez SZ320 and an American Standard Strat. I've changed the pick-ups on both of those guitars as the originals (especially on the Strat) didn't have the sound I wanted. I won't be doing that on the Les Paul. The pickups are great and take different amp settings and pedals really well. The sound is really deep and rich - creamy is the best way I can put it - when played at low to mid volumes, with beautiful crunch on everything. Clean sounds are wonderful and deep. When played at full volume with the amp cranked up it can just scream. I find I can jam along to tracks on this that I couldn't get near with my other guitars because they couldn't cut through at high volumes without sounding too harsh. I still use the Strat and Ibanez an awful lot, but there's no doubt that the Les Paul fills a void I had in my sound. Love it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I've had both my Ibanez and Strat professionally set up (the Strat twice) to get the action and playability right. I don't have to do that with the Les Paul. The action is lower than my other guitars (even after their set-ups) and there's absolutely no buzz. Really impressed with it. It plays smoothly and quickly. Bends are an absolute joy. The rounded neck is very comfortable. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can definitely tell the difference in price in all three of my guitars. The Ibanez is a great guitar for the money, but it feels less well built than the Strat. The Les Paul is obviously the most expensive though. It's heavier, better finished and much more solid. I do notice the difference in weight between the Les Paul and the Strat and sometimes find myself changing back to the Strat after an hour or so when my shoulder starts to feel the weight. Other than that, I would have no problem playing this live. Badly looked after Les Pauls last decades and I have no reason to believe that mine will be any less impressive. Some of the gold is already staring to wear thin on the screws, but I think that's to be expected and I actually like the slightly used look on guitars. I wouldn't use is as a sole guitar at a gig, but that's really because I like having multiple guitars to get the different sounds I'm looking for. // 9

Overall Impression: I was between this and a PRS McCarty '58. I spent a long time playing both at the guitar shop. The PRS is a wonderful guitar and has a lot of different sounds to it, but essentially a Les Paul is a Les Paul and once I found one that was well built with that wonderful creamy sound, there was no real contest. If I didn't have a Strat then the PRS might have had a better chance but I figured since the PRS really tries to sound like either a Start or a Les Paul, and I already had a Strat, I may as well get the other one. I'm sure I would have been very happy with the PRS as well, but I know I've made the right decision with this one. I've been playing for about fifteen years, though only seriously for the last three. I've had five guitars myself over this time and have played many more. The Les Paul is as good as anything I've every picked up. If it was stolen I would definitely get another, but would take my time to find the right one. // 9

Les Paul Custom Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: You're run of the mill LP Custom except that this is an '08 model in the rare oxblood color, and no, not the obscenely expensive and pointless Jeff Beck model, just an LP Custom in oxblood. Apparently Gibson makes only a few a year. Anyways, yea the rest is just a run of the mill Custom, 490/498 pups, maple top, mahogany back and neck, gold hardware. // 10

Sound: It's got that sustain, tone, and fatness for hard rock, metal, and alternative, but can also roll back the volume for a nice clean jazzy sound with gobs of clean sustaining tone. Not so jangly or anything, maybe that's why LP owners get a Tele in conjunction, but I never been a fan of that shrill jangly sound anyway. Overall, this guitar can cover a lot of styles and sounds you're looking for. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Givin it an 8 here just cuz mine had a few things that caught my eye, like a few spot where the finish bleeds into the binding, but I ain't to concerned bout the cosmetics too much cuz I need a guitar I can play and if it can do that, I'm good. Action was set to go for speed right out the case. That ebony fretboard and I dunno, maybe Gibson just sets the action slightly lower than their Standards, cuz I owned a Standard and hated it, but my fingers got a speeding ticket on this fretboard. // 8

Reliability & Durability: When I first got it, I was so afraid to ding it, scratch it, or bump it, so I hardly played it, but I soon realized these guitars don't really wanna sit in your closet like some people have them do. I started using mine for everything, recording mostly, playing live, just messing around, and it broke in so nicely that I won't touch any of my other four guitars being a custom Jackson, Fender Deluxe Strat, Jackson Stars Custom, and Ibanez Prestige. I been playing it and have a few dings, but no biggie, can't see myself wanting to get rid of it anytime soon. // 10

Overall Impression: I play everything from jazz to blues to metal to classical to classic rock to alternative, what have ya, but maybe I got lucky cuz I know with as many axes that Gibson churns out a day from their factory, they can produce some real duds. So test your Gibson out well before you buy, cuz I got me a real winner and I love it // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Grace Potter Signature Flying V 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014