Les Paul Custom 1968 Review

9.2
 7.6
reviews (2) pictures (1) 27 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Custom 1968 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar was made in 2009 and is a reissue of the 1968 Les Paul Custom. Guitar was made in USA. This guitar is the Standard with any Gibson has 22 frets and has a 60's slim tapered neck. The top is AAA Grade Maple and the back is mahogany. The Finish is a prestigious Tri-Burst has a Black Border with red fading into a yellow in the center. This Guitar is has the Standard Gibson Hardware with Tune-o-matic Bridge and a Stop Bar Tail piece. The pickups are Gibson 57 Classic Humbucker's for the Bridge and Neck Pickups. This Guitar also has the Standard Gibson tone volume configuration. this guitar also comes with the Gibson Custom shop Hard Case and the goodies inside are cool too. Comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, Gibson 3/4 Jacks, and a Truss rod wrench. // 9

Sound: Before I bought this guitar I've never owned a Les Paul style guitar of any type. So first I bought the Epiphone Les Paul Custom and I liked the feel of it (I'm Normally a Gibson SG type person) so I decided since this was going to be my absolute last guitar I wanted to end with a BANG! So I looked painstaking looked for the perfect Les Paul... I saw some cool custom shopped guitars (such as the 1959 VOS, the 1957 Goldtop) but those were just "regular" guitar of their time. I wanted a Custom Shop guitar with the split Diamond and high grade woods, so I found this guitar and I absolutely loved it. This Guitar was unique in every way, it wasn't the Standard Black that Custom Guitars come in, for a custom shop guitar I found this finish absolutely stunning.The amp I play this Gibson through is not the greatest amp in the world and hopefully I change that amp (its a Line 6 spider 3 for those who are wondering) but this guitar oddly makes the AMP sound good which is a definite win in my books. For the type of music I normally play (which is Hard Rock and the Blues) this guitar is amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When I checked this out at Guitar Center the first thing I asked is to see if this guitar was even set up properly (Mind you this guitar has been hanging on the wall for at least a year and a half, and this guitar exists only in the Platinum Guitar Center) but what I found amazing was that the intonation was just Perfect, along with the action for a guitar that was hanging there for quite some time. The pick ups on this guitar are just the best the only pick ups I've played with are Burstbuckeres on my Epiphone and 490T and 498R on my Gibson SG, I never realized how sweet and soothing the 57 Classics actually sound. The Flaws on this guitar was down to Minimal of course One flaw was Guitar Centers Fault which was the fact when they were hanging it they didn't put any cloth around the rubber hanger so it does have a tiny black mark on the sides of the headstock but I don't mind for a guitar that has virtually no flaws coming out of the Gibson Factory floor. Another Small thing is the fact that the gold seems to be gathering finger prints and corrosion a lot faster than the chrome on my Gibson SG but I don't mind that its replaceable. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar I have not actually taken it out for a live gig yet but for what I play at home it seems like its up to the challenge. When I bend the strings to an extreme it just refuses to get out of tune. The 57 classics seem like they are gonna last for a very long time the first time I played it being the smooth yet Loud sound the Gibson pick up emits. The strap buttons I have not changed out but they do hold the strap quite nicely. If I did go to a gig I definitely would not bring this out with me. I'm the type of person that looks at guitars as my children I maintain them and what not, and I cannot stand to see This one break if there is a mishap, I almost had a heart attack when I put a huge gash on my SG, none the less if I had to use it live I definitely would and I probably wouldn't need a back up either this guitar seems the new workhorse of my gear. The finish on the guitar also looks like its not going anywhere within my life time. It's a very high gloss finish finger prints come off as easily as they go on it. // 9

Overall Impression: Now a little about me. The style of music I play as I mentioned before is Blues and Rock and roll (varying from AC/DC to Guns N Roses all the way to BB King). I've been playing the guitar for 4 years now and I own in total 6 guitars. I have a Gibson SG Standard, Epiphone Les Paul Custom, Fender Stratocaster Made in Mexico, and of course this Les Paul Custom. As for this guitar I really don't regret buying at all this to me is a definite benefit I have no regrets what so ever. Now if this guitar was stolen for me... I wouldn't go out and buy another one 3 reasons.., 1) this guitar is just extraordinary expensive, 2) This Guitar probably doesn't exist anymore or I have to go to another platinum Guitar Center in a different location being that there's only 20 something left in the whole US, and 3) this guitar was way to personal to me I already have personalized it to a point where I wont let it go, instead what I would do is probably take my guitar back and just beat the living hell out of the person just to the point where hes capable of seeing HELL, but not dead the person shall suffer. My favorite thing about this guitar is the fact this is like no other custom shop guitar out there. The Tri Burst colors, the 57 classics (rather than the 490r and 498t on the regular custom shop guitars) and the fact that its a 1968 reissue. I don't really have a hate for this guitar, I mean Maybe the Weight of the guitar but that doesn't really affect me that much. I compared this to a 1959 VOS Standard and a 1957 Goldtop and this one just stuck out not because it has the custom shop inlays on it but the Tri Burst as well really stuck out. Everything I wanted came with the guitar, and that's the Guitar itself I wouldn't want any other guitar, I'm really glad that this was my final guitar to my collection. People have their "Holy Grail" Guitar but this is My Holy Grail Guitar. // 10

Les Paul Custom 1968 Reviewed by: digman50, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Eddie's Guitars, St. Louis

Features: The guitar was made in 2011 in Gibson's Custom Shop in Nashville, TN. The guitar has 22 frets and a bound ebony fretboard. It also has the block inlays as usual for a Les Paul Custom. The neck is rounded, quite thick and very comfortable to play. The headstock features the split-diamond inlay with the multi-ply binding as normal. The body is a solid mahogany back (no chambering OR weight relief, completely solid) with a solid maple top. The neck is made out of one piece of mahogany also. The guitar is a non-transparent ebony colour and is bound on both the top and back with the multi-ply binding, as usual on a Les Paul Custom. The finish is nitrocellulose lacquer (nitro) as is normal found on Gibson instruments. The guitar has a tune-o-matic Bridge and stop tail bridge, both of which are nickel. The Bridge is not the Standard Nashville Bridge found on USA Les Pauls but the wireless abr-1 Bridge commonly found on the historic models The guitar has two pick-ups, neck and bridge, both of which are Gibson's 57 Classics. The guitar has a volume and tone control for each pick-up, totaling four control knobs. The is a 3-way switch, as normal, for switching between pick-ups. The tuners are non-locking Grover kidney style. The nut is the 6/6 Nylon as found on normal re-issues. The guitar is from the historic range of Gibson's CS (guitars such as the 59 and 57 re-issues) and is a VOS model. The guitar included a certificate of authenticity (COA) which came in the form of a black booklet and looks very nice. It also came with the Gibson CS hardshell case which is very sturdy and looks very impressive, it is also lockable. I am confident that this will protect the guitar. The handle is soft and made of leather making it easy to carry. Keys for the case were included as was a allen key for adjusting the truss-rod. // 10

Sound: I play a wide range of styles ranging from Jazz and Blues all the way to Metal. I love to play music from Gary Moore, Joe Bonamassa, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple aswell as Black Sabbath, Randy-era Ozzy and Van Halen. I also enjoy playing music from bands/artist such as Free, Cream and Santana. I play in a Big Band every week and find the guitar can produce the sound required in all of these situations. Currently I am using a Line 6 Spider 3 30w combo, which I will admit, is very difficult to coax a nice tone from and can be frustrating to use. I noticed a very big increase in quality of sound when I upgraded from this guitar than I had experienced before when using my old guitar (Epiphone G-400). I'm not using any effects currently. I plan to upgrade to a much better amplifier in the near future, looking at a 100w Tube Head such as the Marshall Vintage Modern or the Orange Rockerverb Mk.II. There is no noise such as humming or squeal produced by the guitar so therefore I haven't had any problems when playing live. The guitar produces some amazing tones, with the Bridge pick-up being sharp and powerful (while not becoming thin) like Gary Moore on "Oh Pretty Woman" while the neck pick-up produce creamy, smooth warm tones. The guitar sounds amazing clean and allows chords to ring out richly. The guitar can make a really wide range of sounds, allowing me to cover tones similar to Ritchie Blackmore's (despite his use of a Strat) all the way through to Carlos Santana's. Obviously, it cannot make the same twang of a single-coil Strat or Tele but it can get close. I would like it if the guitar's tone and volume controls were slightly more responsive but the guitar is still very impressive. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was shipped to me from Eddie's Guitars in St. Louis. Before shipping their guitar tech set the guitar up with 10s and made sure all the intonation and action was set-up well. I received the guitar and it was set-up perfectly for me. The action was very low, allowing me to make runs that I had struggled with on my Epiphone, easily. Bends were as easy as playing normal notes and it was nice to be able to add vibrato to them as I played. I could play some of Randy Rhoads' runs from many of his solos much easier, due to the low action. The neck pick-up was set perfectly for me when it arrived and got me perfect sounds for chords as I play clean quite often. It also gave me a very creamy tone when using an overdriven amp similar to that of Billy Gibbons from ZZ Top or Paul Kossoff of Free. The Bridge pick-up was too far from the strings for me so I adjusted the height using the screws next to it and the sound improved immediately, allowing the guitar to sing and really add some bite to solos and rhythms. I could not find a single problem with any of the hardware on the guitar. The knobs were all attached to the pots very well, the pick-guard had been attached perfectly, the tail-piece and Bridge where all fine as was the nut. The grovers hold the guitar's tuning well and are easy to tune back-up on the occasion that the guitar has gone slightly out. The guitar contained no flaws. All the frets were all cut and leveled perfectly and were very smooth to play. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I played this guitar live, with a big band, within a week of receiving it and it was brilliant. The hardware (bridge, knobs etc.) seems like it will all withstand years of use and live shows (I am not rough with my instruments). I will definitely need to upgrade the strap buttons as depending on the strap, the guitar can try to Escape from me and come off the strap. Fortunately, I am always careful when playing and the guitar ha never dropped more than a couple of inches. I will probably be adding Dunlop's or Schaller's very soon. I would gig this without a backup. The guitar is consistently in tune and will definitely be fine to play. I would be worried about the headstock being broken if I played without strap-locks on but I am sure that while I am careful it will be fine until I get round to it. The finish is very good and will last a long time. The guitar has a nitro finish, as usual on Gibson and PRS guitars, and is not plasticky like on many poly finished guitars. It will not crack either due to the current Gibson formula (although I would actually like this to happen with time). // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I feel the guitar suits my style of playing perfectly. I spent hours researching various guitar and have been a member of a Les Paul forum for over two years. I have been playing for slightly over three years and considering myself to be around intermediate level or a bit above. I can hold my own when jamming with friends and can out play people I know who have been playing for twice as long so I know what I'm talking about, especially after over two years of learning about Les Pauls everyday! I already knew every detail about this guitar before buying and had played two of the exact model when in Japan. So I was fine when it arrived and was not surprised by any things that I wasn't aware of. If it were stolen then I would get my insurance to replace it and then hunt down the thief and kill him/her and take this one back. I would replace it with the same model. I would definitely make sure not to lose it and when out of the house I do not take my eyes off it, unless it's in a secure place. I love pretty much everything about it and hate nothing. It's my dream guitar and suits everything I like in guitars. I have to admit my favourite thing about it is the tone it can get and it's feel. I've only ever found the same feel and tone in a couple of guitars, both of which were also CS Gibson Les Pauls! I have compared this model to pretty much every other CS Gibson that had humbuckers, aswell as some USA models. I have played a couple of R9's, a couple of R8's, about 5 R7's (all of which were superb) and a normal Les Paul Custom. I have also played a few 08 Standards and Traditionals to make sure I knew what I wanted. I also compared it to a Les Paul Axcess, which was a very nice guitar. The only thing I wish this guitar had that it currently doesn't is strap-locks. I will be adding them shortly so don't have to worry. After that I suppose I might change the pots and caps to a RS kit. The guitar is an amazing guitar and well worth the money! // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special Voodoo 9.2 Electric Guitars 06/09/2014