Les Paul DC Classic Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul DC Classic
The Classic DC combines outstanding features from two popular Gibson models - the timeless goldtop finish, bound body and bound fingerboard of the Les Paul Classic, and the lightweight, chambered mahogany body of the Les Paul Standard Double Cutaway.
 9.1
 9.6
 8.5
review (1) 7 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul DC Classic Reviewed by: dudebud, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: Discontinued as of 2005. Made in the good ol' USA. This bad body is loaded with 24 frets with a slim '60s taper neck. The scale is 24 3/4". Mahogany back and neck with a carved maple top. The tuners are the crappy green keys but they aren't all that bad. If you don't mind them then they'll do fine. The body style is a lightweight double cutaway. Usually Les Pauls are known for their heavy weight but this guitar is light as a feather. The pickups are the Gibson 490R & 498T Alcino magnetic humbuckers with one volume knob, one tone knob, and a three way Switch. Tune-o-matic bridge and stop bar tailpiece. Gold finish and beautiful yellow trapezoid fret inlays to top it all off. // 10

Sound: The Double Cut style may have less weight but tone is proven to be the last thing at stake. Extremely versatile guitar. Obtaining rich tones, high highs, low lows, and that ballsy rock n' roll tone that we all can't get enough of. There is no whammy bar but I usually never use one anyway. This could be a major con to most metal heads. Metal may be the only unfavoured style for this masterpiece. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The setup from the factory was well done but still needed modifying but only to my own prefences. The guitar practically had a light from the clouds shining on it when the salesman showed me it. I knew that it was the one. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is still a solid piece of mahogany, so it can take quite the beating. Even though it can handle it doesn't mean you should abuse it! Excellent show guitar, great for live/recording/studio or pretty much anything! You could depend on this guitar like you could depend on a Volvo. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles and this guitar is a dream for me. I've been playing for around 6 solid years. I've gone through Strats mostly and many acoustics and this guitar is the cream of the crop so far. I sold my Fender Strat, Squire Strat, and Fender acoustic to put money towards this guitar and I don't at all regret it. I could never bear to part with this instrument, it quickly became a part of me. I love that the Switch is at the bottom as opposed to the top on a regular Les Paul. I always hit the damn Switch on the regular Les Pauls, so this was a freakin' huge relief. This model is already going up in value because it was limited edition and discontinued as of 2005. If you happen to come across one, buy it. You will not regret it. I didn't. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Grace Potter Signature Flying V 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014