Les Paul DC Studio Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul DC Studio
Carved maple top, Mahogany back. Mahogany Neck. Rosewood Fingerboard. Chrome Hardware. Controls: one volume, one tone, three-way switch.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 8.2
 9.2
 7.2
reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul DC Studio Reviewed by: Zosorocker1, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Music Gallery

Features: Made in the U.S of A. 24 Frets. One tone control, one volume control. Classic Les Paul pickups, installed by the previous owner. Heritage cherry sunburst. // 8

Sound: I play a lot of Heavy Blues and Classic Rock, yet I'm in an alternitive rock band. The sound matches that of the Les Paul Standard. With the Classic Les Paul Pick ups I get a much more fuller and richer sound then the standard studio pick ups. I recommend putting some on urself if you are going to by one. The 24 frets allow u to go all the way down the neck and the double cut allows for easy playing when ur hammering out those licks. I'm using a Peavey amp but I forgot what size it is. It's big. Sometimes I use a boss distortion pedal when I want a thicker distortion then the Peavey can offer. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Because I bought this bad boy used, I'm not sure what it was like when it came out of the factory, but I talked with the previous owner and he said that he only had to change the pickups and thats it. The wrap around bridge is nice and I like the action that I get from it. I play lead guitar and I like to play fast, real fast, so the high action is just what I need. The finish is really nice and if you take care of it, it will last you a long time. The tuning pegs are plastic, but just go online and pay for some nice ivory ones. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is definitely capable of playing live in gigs. The guitar stays in tune a lot longer than my Fender fat Strat. I would never go to a gig without a backup cus you never know whats going to happen but if I had to I think I would be pretty safe with this guitar. I have not had a problem with the strap buttons and I don't think I will. The finish is a little thin, but it won't wear off. The guy that had it before me had it for 7 years and played it hard and it stills looks brand new. However the finish is not as thick as the standard or the classic so be careful of chips and stuff. // 10

Overall Impression: Great guitar. Now I have to go to class so if you have anymore questions just ask. // 8

Les Paul DC Studio Reviewed by: maxvcore, on november 09, 2012

Features: BODY Top Species: Carved maple top Back Species: Mahogany NECK Species: Mahogany Profile: '59 Les Paul Rounded Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.818" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.963" Heel Length: 0.625" Neck Joint Location: 16th fret FINGERBOARD Species: Rosewood; Ebony on Classic/Alpine Wht, Platinum Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.062" Nut Width: 111/16" Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Pearloid trapezoid, none on Platinum HARDWARE Plating Finish: Chrome or Gold Brushed Chrome on Platinum Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Black Speed Tuners: Green Key ELECTRONICS Neck Pickup: 490R Alnico magnet humbucker Bridge Pickup: 498T Alnico magnet humbucker Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch CASE Exterior: Black Reptile Pattern Hardshell Interior: Dark Grey Plush with Black Shroud Silkscreen: Silver 'Gibson USA' logo STRINGS Brite Wires .010-.046 I got the Ebony model, which is the best looking in my humble opinion. It's made in Nashville Tennesee, and mine is the 2004 Les Paul. The neck is a little bit fat, but it feels more substantial to me. However, there is one problem with this guitar, it's weight; it weighs a lot. I came from a lighter Ibanez Gio which was about a third of the weight, so just be sure to try one out if you are thinking about getting one to make sure that you are ok with its weight. Because of that, it gets a four. // 8

Sound: I really enjoy the sound on this guitar, I mainly chose it because I liked the sound of Jade Puget's guitar, which is an Ebony Les Paul Studio as well. I mainly play punk, classic rock, rock, some blues, and some mellow songs that my guitar teacher taught me. This guitar works very wellfor all types of music pretty much, except maybe country, which I don't play, so I wouldn't know how it sounds for it. This guitar somehow even sounds good through my solid state Laney TF100 amp. The Les Paul Studio has a very full and warm tone to it; in fact, the sound actually makes me want to play guitar more. Another minor thing that some people might overlook is how well a guitar will stay in tune, and this guitar does not disappoint, even though the tuners stick out to the side, they never really seem to get knocked out of tune. One of the things that I love about this guitar is its natural sustain, you can hold notes for a very long time. The distortion pedal that I use is the Boss DS-2, and this guitar sounds great through it, I love the distortion. After tweaking the tone controls on my guitar, I can change the sound, so it is very versatile.. Whether you are shredding, arpegiatting, or strumming some power chords along to your favorite song, you will find that this guitar does them all, and sounds amazing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: There were no flaws that I could find in the guitar. Pretty much the only thing wrong was that it took so damn long to get shipped to me, I couldn't stand waiting for a week, it seemed like so long. When it did arrive, I was very happy with it, it wasn't quite in tune, but it was just shipped several miles, so that explains it. The pickups are in the perfect position, and are quite nice. This guitar is very fast, (this may sound stupid, but it's true!) and it actually made me seem better. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very reliable, and I have gigged with it and never had any problems. Plus, it's built like a tank, and it doesn't get dented or scuffed very easily. I do have one minor complaint about this guitar, the finish on the ebony makes it easy to see fingerprints, so I have to polish it more often than I would like, but that's very minor. // 10

Overall Impression: I love this guitar, it is so much better than the one that I upgraded from, and makes me appear to be better than I really am. If someone stole it, I wouldn't chase him down, I'm too lazy, but I'd send my rabid attack dog after him. But in all seriousness, I would buy this again if it was destroyed. For half the price of many Les Paul Standards, this guitar is a very good, choice, I would highly recommend it. // 10

Les Paul DC Studio Reviewed by: dcoyle4040, on november 09, 2012

Sound: This is by far the best deeal outhere. The Anico 5 Burkbuster Pro pickups are the very same pickups used in the Gibson standard and sound amazing! The Tune-O-Matic bridge is great to have. When I got this guitar it had a slight buzz on the low E and with a couple turns on the tunomatic it was completely gone and sounding sweet, all without haveing to restring (love that). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is good. Feels like only Gibson can (kind of a cross between a Fender and a acoustic). The finish I got was the cherry matte. It isnt the high gloss like most more expensive models but this is the only difference between them. In fact with the Anico 5's this is a better guitar than some of the more expensive models. One cool thing I've noticed is that the more you play this the shinnier it gets. Really it gets buffed to a high gloss mostly around the areas that have contact with your skin. I. e. neck and along the edge of the body where your forarm would rest. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had any problems with it, seems tough. It comes with a locking Gibson hard case. It's not quite as heavy as a regular LP because it's made from solid mohogany instead of hard maple with a mohogany top like most. I think this gives it a better tone. // 10

Overall Impression: If this were lost or stolen I would definatly get another. I wish it came with the high gloss finish but some people have told me they like the matte finish better. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9.1 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014