Les Paul Double Cutaway AA Top Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Double Cutaway AA Top
If you want the sound and vibe of the famous Les Paul with the comfort of a double cutaway and the eye-candy of a AA flame maple top here's your order.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.5
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 8.5
 8.7
 8.4
reviews (2) 63 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Double Cutaway AA Top Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: 22 frets, rosewood fingerboard, yellowish trapezoidal inlays, slim taper neck (very comfy), mahogany back, amazingly finished top, two volume knobs, and one tone control, plus, it's got two burstbuckers which sound amazing, Tune-O-Matic bridge, three way selector, grover tuners, it also includes a very nice case, with a combo lock, and 5 other latches for extra security, and a soft handle for carrying, because the case is a little bit heavy, and the guitar is a little heavy, not as heavy as a Standard LP though. But it's a nice touch. // 10

Sound: Holy crap. The second I plugged this baby in I was pretty sure it's the one. Then I turned on the amp and I knew it was the one, it's sound is amazing. With most guitars you adjust the amp and get a different sound, with this thing, you roll back the volume a little, and it's kinda bluesy, and you can roll back the tone, and gets a little chunkier rock sound. I play this baby through a Marshall MG100HDFX, with a Boss MD-2, and a Snarling Dogs Whine O Wah. I don't use the wah that much with it though, as I just recently purchased it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I can't really say much about this, there were no flaws in the fretboard, frets, hardware, tuners, nut, saddle, knobs or finish. It played perfectly right out of the box. The pickup selector is very smooth when changing between pickups, which is very nice. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't had the guitar very long so I really can't talk about long term reliability, but I take care of my guitars, so I don't know how I compare to most. But, Gibson's are high quality, extremely durable, and I expect to own this guitar a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I must say this is an astounding guitar. I play many genres of music from rock, to clean stuff, to metalish now and then. I play through a Marshall MG100HDFX, and a Boss md-2 distortion pedal, and occasionaly a Snarling Dogs whine o wah. I love most aspects about it. there is nothing that I wish it had. It suits me perfectly. From the color, the neck, pickups, bridge, tuners, and the controls are very smooth. If it were stolen, I probably wouldn't be able to afford another one for a long time, and I got quite a deal on this one as it is. I first was looking at some higher range epiphones, then I was shown some les paul studios, then some les paul standards, and I had settled on a LP Standard, when I asked if they had any double cuts. They only had a black one, so they special ordered me a blue one. And it is amazing. // 10

Les Paul Double Cutaway AA Top Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Double cutaway mahogany body, AA flamed maple top, mahogany neck, rosewood fretboard with 22 frets. Dual humbuckers (Burstbucker Pros), 2 volumes, 1 tone. I believe it is weight relieved, it definitely feels and sounds like it. As with all Gibsons, made in the USA. Mine has the trans blue finish. I bought this particular double cut LP because it has independent volume controls, unlike the DC Pro and some of the others. // 7

Sound: I play rock, hard rock, grunge, blues, and stoner rock/metal and this guitar can do all of those styles pretty well. My band mainly plays hard rock and grunge and it does extremely well with those two in my opinion. I personally don't like it's tone for blues though, too sharp and bright. I play through a Marshall JCM2000 DSL50 with a 1960A cab and no effects in my band and a Blackheart 5W combo and a Big Muff pedal at home, and with either one it sounds great. To my ears, this double cutaway LP doesn't sound very LP-ish. The guitar is rather bright and not as much of a creamy sound as the LP standards I played. However, I like it's unique sound. Being weight relieved, it has some of the charm of a semi-hollow's sound. It is as versatile as I need it to be, but I don't stray that far to be honest. However, I imagine can do most anything under the umbrella of rock. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar really shines in this category for me. The guitar was set up great from the factory. I couldn't find any flaws in the guitar. The trans blue finish is beautiful in person. Pictures really don't do it justice. The only real problems I have are very trivial ones. I'm not too crazy about the gold knobs and I'm planning on eventually replacing them with SG style ones, and I would have preferred pearloid inlays (but the ones on the guitar look good as well). It plays amazing, to sum it up. The neck is good for chording, but I think it's better for lead playing. The double cutaway shape has great upper fret access. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I think this one will withstand Live playing without a hitch. I'm not going to gig without a backup because I'm wary of strings breaking, but other than that I doubt this guitar would die in the middle of a show. I'm sure it's a dependable guitar, but I haven't played it Live yet. I never tested the strap buttons, I replaced the guitar's Standard ones with Schaller locks; however, I do this with every guitar from my $200 Agile LP to this $1500+ Gibson. // 9

Overall Impression: I think that this guitar suits harder rock well. It has a sharper, more biting tone with fair output. I've been playing for just about 2 years, and I own a good selection of guitars including an MIA Fender 62RI Strat, an Agile AL2000, Epiphone SG, and an ES335 knockoff. I've previously owned and sold a Fender Baja Tele and a Schecter Tempest and I rank this one just behind the 62RI (and this is only out of personal preference). I really like it, but it's not my go-to guitar in most cases. If it got stolen, I would probably be tempted to get an LP classic/standard or a Gibson/Epi Elitist 335 though. // 8

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Standard '60s 9.6 Electric Guitars 11/10/2014