Les Paul Junior 1958 Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Junior 1958
Since this is the best guitar I've ever tried, whith that I mean it fits perfectlly for rock/alternative/punk/hardrock. This Guitar is perfect for any rockstyle, from heavy overdrive to a clean ballad.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.5
 Features: 7.5
 8.6
 8.5
 8.6
reviews (2) pictures (5) 24 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Junior 1958 Reviewed by: Sandies90, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musikbörsen Sweden (4Sound)

Features: - Made: 2010 in U.S.A. - Frets: 22, Dot Inlays, 628mm scale, 43mm nut width - Wood: mahogany body, set mahogany neck, palisander fretboard - Finish: Satin Cherry - Body Style: Les Paul Junior - Bridge: Wrap-around bridge - Electronics: Passive - Pickup: Gibson P-90, With Dogear - Tuners: Non-locking, Gibson Deluxe - Accessories included: Gigbag. // 10

Sound: This Guitar is perfect for any rockstyle, from heavy overdrive to a clean ballad. I use this guitar with an Marshall Valvestate VS100R and I just love the sound. The biggest drawback with the sound should be that it's very noisy, due to the P-90 pickup that picks up more noise than a singlecoil or humbucker. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The only thing that I think is worth mentioning here is that the paint is that kind that easily fall of, and makes the guitar look "used" and old, but personally, I find that nice on guitars, though I've had this guitar for 6 months and no paint has been falling of jet. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I would highly recommand to use this guitar live, but remember to buy straplocks becouse the strap in the upper end is easy to fall of. I would therefore used this guitar without a backup, I find it very reliabel, and even the volumecontrol is able to stop the signal completly. That's the quality of Gibson! // 9

Overall Impression: Since this is the best guitar I've ever tried, whith that I mean it fits perfectlly for rock/alternative/punk/hardrock. I've been playing for 5 years and I've been wanting to buy this guitar for 3 years before I got both money and curage. If it where lost/stolen, I would without a doubt in my mind buy a new one, allthough it would take some time to get the money. // 10

Les Paul Junior 1958 Reviewed by: kindadumb, on november 09, 2012

Features: Before I continue, let me make it clear that this is a model I tried out at Guitar Center about a dozen times over a two-month period - I spent several hours playing it, which gave me enough information to decide not to buy it. The guitar in question has a "satin cherry" finish. Since it was new in store, I'm going to assume it was made in either 2012 or late 2011 (in the USA). The body is, of course, single-cutaway mahogany with a single P90 pickup. Since there's only one pickup, the controls are really simple - one volume knob, one tone knob. The hardware's okay - nothing fancy, especially the one-part Tune-o-Matic bridge (stop piece only). This is a really bare, stripped-down Les Paul, so of course the features aren't going to be quite up to snuff. // 5

Sound: Bear in mind that guitarists like Jerry Cantrell have actually used this and similar LP Junior models to record studio albums (check out "Boggy Depot") - so you can actually get a good sound from this guitar. The problem is that it's not very versatile - no surprise there. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: Action was low, the pickup was adjusted just fine, and the craftsmanship was spot-on - which you expect from an $800 guitar. Even though it's a "cheap" model, by Gibson standards, you can't skimp on the actual construction of the instrument - and Gibson didn't. Really, my only complaint here is that I don't like the way the finish feels on the neck. I like the smooth, glossy that I'm used to on my Epiphone LP; it just feels like it's easier to move up and down the fret board that way. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can't accurately gauge this section here, as I only played the guitar for several hours in store before deciding not to purchase it. However, given Gibson's reputation, and given that I myself didn't notice anything suspect, I will give this guitar the benefit of the doubt. That being said, the guitar felt like a well-built tank. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, I was impressed with the affordability and the craftsmanship, but couldn't get over how much I was missing by having the one-part bridge and the single pickup. What if I want to replace the bridge with a vibrato system? Can't do that. What if I want some tonal variation? You're pretty much limited to what you can do with your fingers in that department. // 7

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014