Les Paul Standard Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 08/28/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Standard
The Standard is outfitted with the new Burstbucker V pickups with Alnico V magnets producing slightly more output than any previous Standard pickups with more bite and a seductive "airy" tone with both pickups on.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Action, Fit & Finish: 7.5
 Features: 9.1
 8.5
 8.7
 8.3
reviews (15) pictures (6) 101 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar is made in year 2003 in Nashville. Has 22 frets, a mahogany neck, maple top and mahogany back for the body, trans amber finish and it comes with a case. // 10

Sound: I play all sort of music and this guitar fits into most of them, this is an awesome guitar. I play it on a 15watt Marshall amp with a DigiTech RP80 effects padel and this guitar sounds great, it can make many sounds with the effects padel. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The factory set up of this guitar is really well done, the action is nice and low makes it comfortable playing. The pickups were at the right position, just right, not too high or low. The bookmatched top is really well done. The hardware gets dirty after sometime, espacially the pickup covers. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand live playing. The hardware needs to be well maintained as it might get dirty after sometime, finger prints can easily stain them. I definately can depend on this guitar without a backup. The strap buttons are quite small and straps often fall out, but strap locks can easily do the trick of securing the straps. The finish is nice and I think it can even outlive me. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar suits the music I play really well. I have been playing for 5 years and this guitar has been there 2 years after I start playing. If this guitar is lost or stolen, I might be too depressed to continue playing and if I do continue, I will get one that is exactly the same. I like everything about this guitar and my favourite feature of it is the finish. This guitar is just great! // 10

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Les Paul Standard, Latte Creme, made 2003, USA, 1 year old before I bought it used in April '05, basically mint. The chrome pickups were a little dirty, but that was nothing that couldn't be polished out. All stock features: 2 burstbuckers, 2 vol 2 tone, TOM bridge, '50s rounded neck profile, green key tuners, mahogany body with AA flame maple top, rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays, mahogany neck. Coda music gave me free polish with it, all in all an absolute bargain for what I paid for it. Colour is not a preference of mine, I would have preferred Iced Tea, but you can't be picky when you're buying second hand. Also I would have preferred a '60s neck. I saved up and got this for my 16th b'day. // 8

Sound: The sounds you can get out of this guitar are amazing. I play a lot of metalcore (heavy dist, melodic staccato rhythms) and with my Boss Metal Zone and Boss Phaser, the tone is bone-crushing. The fact it has passive pickups does not mean the tone is weak by any means, but the harmonics could be more prominent than they are. The low end produced by the thick slab of mahogany is fantastic, and powerchords sound as menacing as they should for that style. Overdriven, the guitar gives a bright, fat, chirpy response through my 50-watt Marshall MG - great for chordal rhythmns. With my Dunlop GCB-65 wah, amazing funk sounds can be obtained. All I have mentioned above is on the bridge pickup. The neck pickup gives a very thick, full sound with less treble and more mids and lows - great for bluesy leads, but not the choice pickup for metal. The clean tones are very good, but could be a little better. They are very open and bright, a little darker with the neck p/u. Rolling the tone off a little makes for a better sound with both pickups, in my opinion- not everyone will agree with that. Obviously it can't make those Fender sounds, but that's what you buy a Fender for, for god's sake. No coil-tap guitar will give you clean sounds quite like a Fender does. The Les Paul sounds better with some kind of distortion, even a small amount of gain. The sheer amount of sounds you can coax out of a Les Paul by merely using the controls on the guitar is fantastic. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: Can't say about factory set up, as I got it used. Now I have got it, the action is low and easy to play, although there is bad buzzing on the low E and the G string, and a little on the top E too. This gets on my nerves a little and I might go and get it sorted - I know this is because the action really is very low. I can't hear it when I have the amp on, but I still want it sorted. Pickups were adjusted perfectly and hardware was all in order. No significant dinks anywhere, although pickups were dirty, but I sorted that out with some metal polish. All parts felt high-quality, like Gibson parts usually are. The fret job was OK. I will say that after playing for a long time, the neck starts to feel a little sticky because of the varnish, and playing very quickly seems difficult. Also the 50's neck can be a pain because playing quickly on the upper frets can be difficult. This really annoys me, and sometimes I think about getting something Zakk Wylde-esque done (shaving the neck) as the neck is so fat and gets sticky. Some of the upper frets seemed a little discoloured and badly cut, maybe. This guitar needs another set-up, I've only had it 4 months and these little niggles make me think about trading it for an Ibanez or Jackson- a proper shred guitar. // 6

Reliability & Durability: Les Pauls are always very solid and this will last for decades easily, if I don't sell it off and buy something else. The strap buttons are small, and only good if you don't gig. Even then straplocks might be advisable (I haven't done it myself yet but I will). I would not use it without a backup because the neck might start needing to be wiped down every 5 seconds, but for reliability purposes I would never need a backup, as this is totally solid. NB I am not a gigging musician, but a 1st year IB student. The weight does not bother me; only pussies are bothered by the weight of a Les Paul. If you can't handle the weight, you're weak. Go do some weight training. // 8

Overall Impression: For the music I play this is a guitar that delivers big time in the sound department. However, for the music I play the construction is not right for me. I now know I want an unfinished maple neck (like my Yamaha Pacifica 112, a real killer with the duncan I put in the bridge), and a thinner neck with a sleeker profile. I have tried the '60s neck but that is still not great for serious metal playing in my opinion - the nitro lacquer is a pain. If it were stolen, I would not buy another one, but probably buy a Jackson DK1 (after saving up abit more) or an Ibanez J-custom model. I love the Les Paul sound, but I know it is not the guitar for me. Before I go to uni, I will sell this, even if it doesn't get nicked. Nice work Gibson, but this guitar does not suit me, even though I love the way it looks (to finish on a good note). // 6

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: Muppet, on november 09, 2012

Features: This guitar comes with a very nice hardcase all though my case stinks worse than my socks after a football game. But that doesn't change the fact that it's hard as a stone. It has 22 frets on a very nice rosewood fretboard with trapezoid inlays. The pick ups are two Burstbicker Pro and they sure deliver a good, tight overdriven sound as well as a good clean clean tone. The body is made of mahogany with an AA maple top, but mine has the ebony black finish so I can't see the wood. The neck is made of mahognany as well. It's a big guitar and it's much heavier than Ibanez, ESP and Fender. The facy that the guitar has a quite big and heavy body makes the playing betterbecause it really feels like playing with something that just delivers. And this guitar does deliver. // 10

Sound: The most important thing about the world of guitars and music. The sound. When I was looking for a new guitar after selling my old ESP LTD KH-602 I looked for a guitar with a tight and full overdrive and a good rich clean. I tried every guitar in the shop, but none suited my needs (Parker, ESP, Ibanez, Fender, Gibson Studio's). They all had great sounds, but htey didn't have both the clean and the overdrive I was looking for. I tried a little more and compared a little more and the more I played the more I realized that my needs where a bit crazy, if you can say it like that. And after a couple of hours I tried a Les Paul Standard and I was sold. I first tried it dirty and the sound was (is) amazing. Good punchy, fat and full sound. My sound. Then I tried the clean and it really blew me away. It was so clean and so rich of tone and depth that I got to own one myself. My style is classic rock, hard rock and metal, but I also play a lot of blues and this guitar gives me what I want and I am sure that it will deliver me my sound for the next ten years at least. I wouldn't use it for jazz, but that's probaly just me. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set allmost perfect when I bougt it and the shop I bought it from will adjust it for free if needed. Good service. The action was low, but not so low that it'd buzz or anything. The pickups, the bridge and the tuners where set perfect and the intonation is set well as well. The finish is very nicely done there's only one thing about it and that's where the neck is connected to the body. The paint is not flawless righ there. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't played live with this yet, but I played it for my family and it didn't let me down there. I don't think it will let me down though, it's solid as a rock. Hardware and strap buttons are nice and they don't look like they are going to fall off in a near future. Yes I would use this live, but with a backup, just in case I break a string. // 10

Overall Impression: For my style (blues, rock, hard rock and metal) this is an extremly good guitar. It's versatile and the sound is good at all of my genres. I play it with an old Laney AOR Pro-Tube Series from 1988 and it's a damn good match. This guitar will not be stolen so I won't tell you about what I'd do about that. I recommend this guitar if you play the same genres as me, but not if you are into pop or something like that. I hope you can use this review! // 10

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: KY_GuitarMan, on november 09, 2012

Features: You know the features. Burstbucker pickups, nitocellulose finish, Mahogany, green key tuners, Tune-O-Matic bridge. The same features as always. You should not screw with perfect features. As always Gibson is a hard tail, no tremolo, so if you're really into trem dives like one of those overrated Steve Vai types then you really won't like the LP. My latest one was a gift and it was made in 2007. // 7

Sound: The sound is great as usual. This is my 3rd LP. They've all sounded great. I actually prefer the pickups they put in the classic model over the burstbuckers. The 500 and 490 are much hotter. You can play Pantera very nicely with the LP classic. Not so much with the standard. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where Gibson is failing horribly these days and really pissing on their own good name. The finish is hand done and I think the guy must have been drunk when he was doing it. Epiphone LP's have a smoother finish. For $2200 I expect a damn perfect product and LP's these days are far far from it. My frets had some rough edges that needed filing. That's fine and expected of a $400 guitar but not a $2200 guitar. My finish had some lacquer over-spray and some rough spots. I guess machines do some things better than people. Especially fat, overpaid, lazy, union people. The action was sweet but mine did need a truss rod adjustment. Again, the luthier must have been drunk. I went back to GC and looked at every new LP in stock. They all have these same problems. The quality at Gibson has really fallen off although they maintain their name brand fans as you can see but a bunch of the reviews here that are fellating Gibson just because they're Gibson. I've got two other LP's that were built in the 80's and they were built so much better. // 4

Reliability & Durability: Although my finish leaves a lot to be desired the pots, switch, and all wiring are top of the line. Very durable, thick insulated wiring. As always les pauls are built like tanks. That's what I love the most. I can't believe some people love those hollowed out light weight guitars. No resonance or sustain out of those. The really dense mahogany Gibson uses is why they have such killer sustain and sweet tone. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall are these babies worth $2300? Hell no. Gibson needs to do some serious overhaul of their QA department. They're letter sub-par LP's out the door. Les Pauls are the Lexus's of guitars. You expect the best and anything short of that by Gibson is an insult to their own good name. If I hadn't gotten this for free I would not have bought one. My other two Gibsons are over 20 years old and their finishes today are better than my new one. I love Les Pauls. They're an American Icon of rock guitars. With that said I say shame on Gibson. My advice is unless you're a rich dude that pisses hundred dollar bills then don't buy one of these until Gibson increases quality. Buy an Epi LP for $400. Will that be perfect? No, but it will be a much better guitar for $400 than the Gibby LP is for $2300. // 5

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: box_of_trix, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Wembley Guitar Centre

Sound: I chose a Les Paul as it fits directly with the hard rock, sleeze metal and punk which I play for example Guns N' Roses. It will fit this sound perfectly as you may expect. I play this guitar through a flextone II therefore allowing me to gain any sound I desire from this guitar, I also use a standard crybaby and an Ibanez Tube Screamer infront of the distortion to tighten the sound for epic solos and windeled parts. Ouch, Les Pauls can pop and crack like most guitars and I have played around 4 Les Paul Standards and this is the case with all of them. The sound is rich and full however peeling back the volume you can thin the sound for those biting moments however with volume whacked up this guitar has balls! This guitar has a classic and beautiful sound however I'm not content, I am going to invest in a pair of nailbomb pickups by bare knuckle which use the same alnico V magnets but with more punch and aggression. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish is beautiful, it is striking and is only matched in personality ounce pluged in. The pickups where correctly adjusted, the top was bookmatched, the bridge routed perfectly and all the frets filed correctly. There is only one flaw with my guitar which I have noticed and that is there is a minor streak in the rosewood which appear as the wood gets older, It does not affect the playability nor the looks of the guitar. My mate played it recently and claimed the action to be a little high however I feel this is not the case in the slightest. // 9

Reliability & Durability: What is brilliant about these guitars are that they are real workhorses which withstand a beating unlike more inconsistant Strat style and RG guitars. The hardware on these things are suppose to last a lifetime and this is the case here with Gibson construction improving after a slight lag at the start of 2000. I have gigged Les Pauls with backup as strings can be unreliable not just the guitar however for most gigs I will play the guitar for a good 2 hour set without having to put it down. // 10

Overall Impression: The guitar is a perfect match for all that I play and can also be used for the blues, Indie and metal. I also own an RG which has been customised and a Tanglewood acoustic. I asked a million questions when purchasing the product to cover all the bases. If it were stolen or lost I'll definetly buy another although it wouldn't be the same and I'd have to wait untill the insurance payout came through. I love this guitar as it does all that I ask for. I'm not content with just one! // 10

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: creeping_death1, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: $ 1975

Purchased from: Long & McQuade

Features: My Gibson was manufactured in my southern neighbour, the USA. It has 22 beutiful frets on a rosewood 50's style neck. Not too sure what the body is made of, but it's heavier then I expected. Bridge is a Tune-O-Matic, pickups are stock, with 2 volume and 2 tone and a 3 way pickup selector. Another good feature was that it came with case (for 2500 it damn well better). The only reason it's half a point is that it's beastly heavy. // 9

Sound: Well I play a lot of Metallica, AC/DC, GN'R (Appetite only), a lot of Rhoads, Zeppelin, and now I'm even starting to dip into some blues, which this guitar suits all those styles perfectly. I can get wailing pinch harmonics, soothing cleans and some good ol' Whole Lotta Love grinding distortion. This guitar gives off no hum, except when I'm sitting next to my computer, which is understandable. This guitar sounds like something Zeus would play. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly, the action is perfect, not too high, but also no fret buzz. Pickups are a little high up but I'm beggining to like them that way. The finish on the body is natural, which I like a lot more then the glossy finish other guitars have, the glossy finish feels sticky. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This Les Paul is a beast, it weighs way more then it looks. The only thing I don't trust about this guitar are the strap buttons, seeing as I play my guitar at a steep angle I don't want to risk dropping it, but once I get strap lockers I would gig without a backup in a heartbeat. The finish seems like it'll last, but the only way to tell will be a few years hard playing. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for a little under a year and this guitar is by far the best I have ever played, way better than my Ibanez or my friend's Fender Strat. I love the sound the humbuckers give, I hate the buzz of single coil pickups. If I lost it, well I don't have anywhere near enough money to get another one, so I'd just have to go hunting for the freak who stole it. The only thing I wish it had were strap locks because I like to play my guitar at a pretty steep angle, and I'm not willing to risk the strap comming off. // 9

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: LesPaulverizer, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2003 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Ice Tea finish (sort of like a Desert Burst, but lighter), with a big, fat 50's style neck on it. Vintage tulip style tuners, 22 frets (bound fretboard), trapezoid fret markers, 3-way toggle, Tune-O-Matic bridge, etc. Came with a silkscreened Gibson USA hardshell case, pickguard (with mounting hardware, it's your choice whether you want it on there or not) and a sweet truss-rod wrench/screwdriver Tool. What value! // 10

Sound: I play hard rock and pop through a fairly large pedal board, into a Marshall TSL602. The humbuckers effectively cut out 60 cycle hum, and deliver a warm, sweet tone on clean settings, and a creamy, saturated tone when the gain is turned up. It's perfect for that massive, balls-to-the-wall in yer face rock and roll I'm so very fond of. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Factory set up was crap; Gibson loses points for this. To be fair, differnt people like to have their guitars set up differently, so what stinks for me may be great for others. The maple top is nice, and bookmatched well. The binding on the fretboard makes for comfortable playing. The hardware and electronics are all top notch. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar and I have gigged extensively over the past year or so without a hitch. I changed only two things: the strap pins (locking strap buttons), and the truss rod cover (switched out the plain bell for one that said "Standard", purely for aesthetics). Excellent volume and sweet tone coupled with no problems makes me a very happy guitar player. // 10

Overall Impression: I tried a few different guitars in the store the day I bought this (a really nice Gretcsh hollowbody, a few Strats/Teles), but I kept coming back to this guitar. I think some guitars are just made for some people, and this one was made for me. I think I'll be passing this one on when I die; I won't be selling it. // 10

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: GNRkixass, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Willard's Music

Features: The Gibson Les Paul Standard is an all-around great guitar, espicially with the right amp and effects. I plug mine into a regular Marshall studio amp and a Cry Baby wah-wah pedal, and I've had the guitar for about 2 years and never been disappointed with it a day in my life. It's got the Standard 22 frets, with a pretty thick neck, which I know some people like and some dislike, but I have always enjoyed the thicker size over my Fender Strat. It's got a nice Rosewood neck, which is obviously darker than maple, which is another reason why I prefer it over the Strat. it's obviously got the classic unique les paul body, and you can choose the volume for the rythm and treble settings individually (you can have treble turned down low and rythm turned up high, and you can Switch back and forth without volume effecting the other setting). It has two tone dials that also work for each individual setting. I got mine with a new case and strap, so if you take away the included accessories the price would come to about 750. Unfortunately, the store I bought it at no longer sells epiphone/gibson guitars, so that is out of date. the only problem is that it can get cloudy, just as many guitars can, but you have to take extra time, because for some reason the guitar is somewhat high-maintenance when it comes to cleaning and repairing. // 9

Sound: This guitar is classic not only for it's unique shape and popularity, but because it fits in every genre of music. I enjoy 80's and 90's hard rock, and a little classic rock from the '70s too. It works perfectly. The best part is though, even if you aren't a fan of hard rock or classic rock like I am, you see this guitar everywhere. Country musicians use it. Jimi Page uses it. Slash uses it. It's an all-around great guitar, and even the most hard-core critic has to smile when they hold one of these guitars. Like I said before, I use a Marshall and Cry Baby with a Metal 5000 distortion pedal, all beyond satisfactory. It can make almost any sound you could ask if you use the right amp and effects. It could damn near talk if you use the right settings. It is also a little louder than a normal electric guitar when played without an amp. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: When it came out of the factory, it looked like a million dollars. But, like I said, it takes a lot of work to keep it in the same condition. It had no flaws, but the dials at the bottom for the volume come off very easily, which is a major complaint of mine, because I have lost my rythm volume dial. I can still adjust the volume, but it looks terribly tacky and unprofessional. you may be able to buy new ones in stores, but I'm not sure about that yet. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The guitar is pretty god when it comes to durability, and I would easily trust it without a backup when it comes to a gig, but when it comes to handling it, it's an extremely delicate guitar. You can play it as loud as you want and do whatever you want with the amp but it wont have a problem. Just don't be crazy about handling it. It's really delicate. // 7

Overall Impression: Like I said I mainly play classic and hard rock, which is a perfect fit, as are many other gentres of music. I've been playing for about 4 years now and got this guitar on my second year. I own a Fender Strat and a Gibson SG, and I'd say this is tied to for best. They're tied in sound, but this ones much more delicate. The SG would be the best, but the thing I like about this that the SG doesnt't have is it's ability to play any genre of music and sound good. The SG can do country somewhat, but that doesnt't really help me because I hate counry. But the SG is mostly hard rock and heavy metal, which is fine with me, but it doesnt't sound god with any other genre. The Les Paul is a good choice and you wont be dissapointed as long as you aren't rough with it. The better you treat it, the better it will treat you. // 10

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: Robert_Terry, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Reidies

Features: A Gibson les Paul Standard, from 2006 made in Nashville USA. Mine has a heritage cherry sunburst finish and a '60s neck. If you don't know the layout of a Gibson Les Paul, then go to www.Gibson.com or look on one of the reviews above mine. Came with a good quality Gibson hard case. // 8

Sound: My set up is a Marshall DSL50 half stack, with some Boss, Marshall and Dunlop pedals. Before I start, it receives a 9 as it is simply not possible to recreate some single-coil tones with a huge slab of mahogany, with a thru neck and humbuckers. Without the addition of a coil tap it's not going to happen. The Guitar, due to it's heavy weight does have a tight and apparent level of bass in it's tone when played through a clean channel, so whilst it's not ideal for spiky Indie, alt music, it's very good for strong defined clean chords and arpeggios, especially when mixed with some level of effects, for a lush clean tone, e.g. Stone Roses, The Smiths. With lower levels of gain, you obtain the zeppelin/who tone. A thick responsive distortion great again for chord work and, with a touch more gain solo tone to die for. Using the neck pick up, a very nice Santa like, bass heavy tone can be obtained with ease. Cranking up the gain you can obtain almost any Hard rock artists (Who used humbuckers) tone you wish, be they Gibson users or not. So the Classic tones of Aerosmith, GN'R, the Sex Pistols, Eric Clapton, Garry Moore to the contemporary of Bullets And Octane, Green Day, the Killers, Oasis etc. are obtained with such ease you wonder how you, or countless of other recording artists/live acts/session musicians got by without one. A rich, clear distortion at any level, and it sustains like no other. Also, the pickups, whilst by no means loud, are not silent, but as a user of a noise suppresser pedal, this does not bother me. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The Guitar it's self, made perfectly. AA grade maple top is stunning with the flammed finish, lacqured to protect it, and adding sustain. The set up was less impressive. The Cons were as follows. Pickups at unballenced levels, The action was far too low, fret buzz aplenty, The nut needed a healty dose of graphite. These were easily rectified, and with a new set of DR10-52 strings, a fret polish, a few hours work and a whole load of graphite it's now set up fantastically. The tunning is the most stable of any non-FR guitar I have ever played. // 7

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has become my main live and all round guitar, with only my Gibson SG classic being used as a back up live. As it's been quite a hefty investment, I do use locking strap locks, as to avoid any accidents. The finish is subject able to damage, so cleaning and common sense are a must have if you want it to stay in pristine condition. I'm short and skinny for my age (18) but I can use this guitar for hours on end, despite hearing people's complaints about the weight, the addition of a padded leather strap does help no end. Otherwise the guitars electronics are very reliable, and Gibson's do have very long life times, so I'm hoping this will be with me for along time. Provided it does not fall onto the infamous Gibson weak spot on the neck. // 8

Overall Impression: 1300 pounds is not a small figure of money, and, in fairness this guitar is not set up to a level worth of this figure, it's not the easiest of playing guitars, and it is subject able to damage. But despite all this I would not want any other guitar, as simply there tone and feel would never match this, and if you look at the number and loyalty of Gibson users, I'm not alone. I simply could not imagine me not having a Gibson Les Paul whilst on stage in my band, firing out heavy rock songs. An investment yes, but o-so worth it if not only for the burning sense of pride I get everytime I play it. // 9

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: Dixie Wolf, on november 09, 2012

Features: Well, I just got his guitar a day ago, and I must say that I am thouroughly impressed. I decided to go with the slim 60's neck, and it is very comfortable. Thin enough to totally shred, but thick enough to acommadate anything. It has two humbucker pickups. The neck (rhythm) puts out a lot of bottom end, and the bridge (lead) is geared towards a more trebely sound. The finish is astounding. I got mine in desert burst, and the grain of the wood is top quality. It's AAA flamed maple, which, in my opinion, is the most gorgeous wood available. The knobs and tuners are all top of the line, and the bridge stays in tune very well. The neck and back are mahogany, which is sturdy and resonates very good. The hardshell case it came with is also very nice. It has a silver silk-screened Gibson USA logo on the front and the plush white interior is soft and very pretty. // 10

Sound: I play everything, from metalcore and thrash to funk and jazz. The guitar has excelled at everything I have thrown at it. Righ now I am playing it through a 75 watt Spider 2, which sounds pretty good. The sound is full and well rounded on each pickup. The bridge sustains very well, and I can hold one note all night long! Natural harmonics sound great through the guitar, as do pinch harmonics and anything else alon thoes lines. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was set very well from the factory, low and very playable. The pickups were adjusted perfect, and and the frets were filed well and not sharp at all. The finish, as I said before, is amazing. The top is flawlessly bookmatched and flamed, and is very attractive. There is only one strange thing that I will have checked out. When shaken, it sounds like there is something loose on the inside that rattles. I suspect it is something minor, mabey a loose wire. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will definately withstand playing live. I have had it for just a day, but it is very sturdy and well-built. Tha hardware will probably outlive me. The strap buttons are a little puny, so I would suggest some straplocks. I got some Schaller ones that work nicely. I plan to gig with this guitar without a backup, because I feel that there is simply no need for one. The Nitrocellulose finish seemed thick enough to last for a long time with no need to refinish it. // 10

Overall Impression: It took me three years of yard work for me to buy it, but it is definately worth it. I am fourteen, played for 5 years, and this guitar really lets my skills Shine. There is nothing I hate about it, and too many things I love to list. I compared it to an Equiphone, and it is very aparrent that the Gibson is superior in all aspects. All I can say is this, if you can afford it, buy it, and you wont regret it one bit. // 10

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: byljer, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Used

Features: Beautiful Honey Burst with flame maple top. Looks amazing!!! Mahogny body and mahogny neck with rosewood fingerboard. This is a Standard made in 2006 (USA), Burstbucker Pro pu's, Tune-O-Matic bridge, passive electronics, two volume and two tone, 3 way Switch, black (Canadian made) Gibson hardcase. What more do you need? It's a Gibson!! // 10

Sound: I've been using different Gibsons over the years (Classic 1960, Premium Plus, '57 Gold Top reissue and now I'm well into my second Standard), but my main guitar has always been US made Strats because of the musicstyle of the bands I've been in. My current bands musicstyle is more "raunchy, depressive rock'n'roll" (yeah, like that gave anyone a clue... ), and the Gibson suits our music extremely well. I've got no need for the Fender anymore (even if it's a very good guitar), so I traded it in for a Epiphone ES335 Dot (but that's another story). That said, I've discovered that the Gibson is just as versitaile as the Fender supposedly is. You can use it for anything. It all depends on how you adjust your amp (and, partly, your guitar). There is a reason for why guys like David Gilmour and Mark Knopfler sometimes turn to Gibson! I use the Gibson (and Epi) with my new Marshall 1987X with the Marshall Vintage cab containing Celestion Greenbacks, and my God what a sound that combination produces!!! The Marshall breaks up very early (because of a cap, known as the "bright cap", they use in the reissues with a value of 4700pf instead of max 470pf like in the old days), so there's no need for any distortion pedal. I have some effects in the loop that I use from time to time, especially a Tremolo. To get clean sound I use a Goodrich volume pedal. The guitar is not noisy (the amp is). The sound from the neck pick up is fat, a tad "bassy" (in a good way) but also very clear. Good for both soloing and rythm. The bridge pick up is very bright (because of the "bright cap" in the amp), but the solution for me was to turn down the tone knob on the guitar to about 5, 5. Perfect! The reason for not giving the sound a 10 is because I'm more after what I call the "Dickey Betts sound", and you don't get that sound with the Burstbuckers. You get very close, but not quite there... I think that the Burstbucker Pro's are some sort of compromise between different Gibson pu's to please as many buyers as possible. I'm thinking about getting the Gibson '57 Classics to get that Dickey tone, both for my Gibson and for my Epiphone ES335. Because of my own sound preference I give it a 9, but for others the Burstbuckers may be "sound Nirvana". It's a matter of taste. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used on the private market, so I haven't got a clue about how the factory set up was. Usually you will have to get your local guitartech to do the set up for you anyway 'cause how the heck should Gibson know how you like your guitar??? The guy Who had the guitar before me is, like me, a guitar freak, so he had treated it very nicely. He did his own set up and maintenance, and luckily it suited me as well. The rest of the guitar seems to be a result of outstanding craftmanship from the Gibson factory. There is absolutley no flaws! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar will easily outlive me! I've been going through the hardware, pick ups, volume and tone controls etc., and I can't find anything to put my finger on. The hardware seems to hold up, the paint is still like new... no loose parts even after two years of use. I would have no trouble what'soever depending only on this guitar during Live gigs. It's just, solid! As a rock! // 10

Overall Impression: As I said, this guitar suits my bands music extremely well. It's a rock'n'roll guitar that gives your music a little harder edge, good for both soloing and rythmwork. I've been playing for about thirty years (even if it sounds like I've been playing for 3 years...), and my other gear is the earlier mentioned Marshall and Epiphone. If I lost the guitar (yeah, right!) or it got stolen, I would track down the thief, dearrange HIM and take back the guitar. Seriously, if the guitar some way or another would get lost, I would buy a new one right away. What do I love about it? The sound, playability, the weight, the sustain, the craftmanship and the looks! What do I hate about it? Nothing, and that's being honest! Anything I wish it had? Well, a sister and a brother! You can't have to many of them! // 10

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: pinksalmon, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Feebay

Features: 2005 honeyburst AA flame maple top with 50s style neck. Everything all original including Gibsons Burstbucker pick ups with alcino v magnets. Came in original hard shell case. // 10

Sound: Fits my style perfect. I cover nirvana, foo fighter and led zeppelin and all my own stuff is in that mixed style. Run it through an Orange AD30 head and Orange 1X12 cab. Really nails what I'm wanting though I'll probably Switch out pickups as the burstbuckers sound thin to me. Once I get that switched I'll be perfectly happy, probably go for some bare knuckles pick ups. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Turrible! there is un acceptable fret buzz for a Gibson and desperately needs a set up. Pick ups were set fine, maybe a little high though now that I think of it. The flame is absolutely beautiful for an AA and the burst is gorgeous, a little bit of Orange in there with the honey and it's just great. The binding is a bit uneven and the fret board terribly dry. The binding around the fret board isn't done up to expectation. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I don't know how well the saying, "it's a Gibson!" applies any more. I bought this with the intent of it being my number one for the rest of my life and I'll have to keep my fingers crossed it lasts. The hard ware will be replace with tonepros bridge and stop piece. Put on schaller strap locks and will eventually replace the tuners and nut if needed. I'd trust this to Live playing as I take care of my gear well and am not too careless on stage. I would never gig with out a back up. No matter what the make there's always room for something to go wrong on stage. I keep my epi custom well kept and ready. // 8

Overall Impression: I play classic rock, little hard rock, alt and punk rock and some blues. It works well for everything. Think guitar match with players ears more than with in a genre. I love the tone of a Les Paul and this will take care of every need I ever have. If it were stolen(there's no way I'd loose it) I'd definitely spring for another after a year or two of saving. I really love everything, it sounds great. Compared to Epi's the tones are a world apart and the Epi custom was much more of a darker sounding instrument. Just trying to find that happy medium now with new pickups. // 8

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: donlou, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: C$ 912

Purchased from: used

Features: Standard 22 rosewood fretboard with flame maple top desert brown sunburst body. Two Burstbucker pickups. Typical Les Paul Standard with no pick guard. 3 position switch. Pearl trapezoid inlay fret markers. Inlay body and neck contour. Well made black Gibson guitar case was inclused. // 8

Sound: Suits my eclectic tastes from Rock and Roll, blues to country. Sound is rich and clear. I use Boss Tremolo and Chorus pedals along with a Zoom Player 10 and get great effects with this guitar. A Peavey Bandit 65 is my main amp. I rarely use distortion with this guitar as I find the sound to mangled, to my taste, when more than one string is struck. Prefer to use my Stratocaster if I need distortion. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Purchased the guitar from an insurance auction since it listed for well over $2700 new in Canada at the time. It has some water damage from a flood, some of the varnish near two of the nobs show some cracking. Its been over 6 years an the finish has not deteriorated any further. Action is good but not as good as a Stratocaster. It the least ergonomic guitar I have ever owned (I currently own a Stratocaster and have previously owned a Gibson SG and a Fender Telecaster). The guitar is heavy even with a good strap. It is also unsuitable for playing on your lap while sitting down . // 6

Reliability & Durability: This is obviously a well made solid guitar that should last forever and if were not for the design of the body and its weight I would likely rate it much higher. Winders are solid and stay in tune even when playing hard. Fret high is easily adjusted to eliminate buzzing. // 8

Overall Impression: Play mostly rock, blues and some country and been playing for over 40 years as an hobby. Own an American Standard Stratocaster and a Norman Studio 67. In conclusion I love the sound, the look of the guitar, especially the sunburst finish. Don't like the excessive weight and physical comfort of playing it. // 7

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: Greatdude49, on november 09, 2012

Features: Just because this is the first paragraph and everyone has to read it, I want to start by saying DO NOT GET THIS GUITAR, YES IT'S GOOD, NO IT IS NOWHERE NEAR WORTH 2500 This guitar was made in 2009 in the good 'ol USA. 22 frets, using a chambered mahogany body and mahogany neck with a rosewood fretboard and a plain maple top. The Bridge is a TonePros locking Nashville Tune-O-Matic with a Locking TonePros tailpiece. It has 2 volume, tone knobs, and 2 burstbucker pro alnico pickups (I have since replaced with SD 59 pups), locking grover tuners and of my 2500 dollars invested. It came with a strap. A f--king strap.. // 9

Sound: It suits my music style pretty well, I play more of a light tone of metal, I guess you could say it's the new era metal, more melodic so this guitar suits me quite well. I use this through my Fender DeVille with xotics effects ac booster, TC Electronics flashback delay, and TC Electronics mojomojo overdrive pedal. Not noisy at all, even at louder volumes. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up like they gave a monkey all the pieces and then just scooped up the rest of the mess later on, the set up out of the factory was terrible, the action was WAY to high and the pickups weren't even connected... The only other really noticeable thing was the little lightbulb plastic piece on the toggle was cracked but I had that entire thing replaced anyway, the toggle was really crappily connected as well. The inside of the guitar was A MESS, there was rust on most of the things I was going to replace, all but one peg was loose, but other than just about everything sucking balls the nut was somehow in perfect condition. // 1

Reliability & Durability: Out of the factory? HAHAHAHA Don't even make me laugh. Get it checked out by a proffesional first, these things suck major walrus logs out of the factory. Strap buttons? I didn't trust them, get Dunlop strap locks. The finish could last a long time despite the terrible condition of the insides. // 5

Overall Impression: Like I said I play more between Hard rock and metal and this is a good match. I've been playing for going on 12-13 years? I own a wide variety of guitars and this one is the turd in the punch bowl. Is there something I would have asked before buying this product? Yeah, can I get a full refund with that lifetime warranty? If it were stolen or lost? I would go grab some crappy Ibanez AR series to replace this waste of wood. What do you love about it? That I turned this piece of crap into something decent with my knowledge of how a guitar works. Anything you wish it had? Well... I guess a holster for my beer. // 7

Les Paul Standard Reviewed by: Flamejob, on august 28, 2013

Price paid: A$ 3000

Purchased from: Gallins Guitars

Features: Gibson Les Paul Standard 2012 - made in Nashville. Carved AAA flame maple top in Desert Burst that is immaculate. All your normal LP construct specs, 22 frets, 24.75" scale length, Mahogany body that is weight releived (but not as drastically as the earlier standards) - all the usual but with a few differences. It's got a '60s slim-taper set neck which suits my style of playing and makes those higher frets so easy to slide into. 2 Burstbucker Pro Pickups that are coil tapped via a push/pull feature on each individual volume and tone controls that gives you neck and bridge single coil tones as well as an option that puts the PuPs out of phase. This feature also provides for a direct output option that bypasses Vol / Tone pots and goes directly to you amp. The versatility of this configuration is obvious and you can pull some pretty varied sounds out of this instrument. Also the tuners are locking (Grover keystone) in a chrome finish as opposed to your Jade, tulip style pegs. Handy, but being a traditionalist I like the older jade pegs. I got a set of fresh strings, users guide, a Gibson pick holding keyring, and bunch of picks all in a brand new Gibson hardcase. Opening this for the first time was almost like seeing the birth of your first child. // 10

Sound: Like many others here I play blues / hard rock / funk and have been playing guitars for over 20 years. I play this through either a Marshall Class 5 tube amp or a Marshall 100w solid state combo. Effects are a bunch of pedals but mainstays are Boss Turbo Distortion, a Reverb Pedal, EH Big Muff Pi. I know sound it pretty subjective, particularly when everyones rig is different but this instrument is the finest thing I have ever played and/or heard. I have always loved Les Pauls and most of my favourite guitarists are Paul players. Being a Les Paul, that huge, deep tone and 3 day sustain is a given. I've copped Jazz, Metal, Blues and foot to the floor rock with this guitar and that is just on the stock settings. The coil tap side of things is a whole other world. While splitting the coils down to single via the push/pull system you wont get a "strat" sound but something altogether different, much more biting, almost a little like those old P90s but still different. The only drawback with this is the noise you get at high gain but I guess that's with any single coil PuP. My personal favourite setting is putting the PuPs out of phase by pulling up the neck tone control - you get this really fat, nasal sounding "honk" sound that just so funky. Bypassing the volume/tone pots altogether by lifting the Bridge Tone Knob gives you a nice lead boost. As I've mentioned I've played many guitars over the years and I can't say that I've ever been 100% happy with the sound of any of them (even one I built) - 98% maybe but never 100%. This guitar absolutely nails the sound I have been looking for for many, many years. Its perfect for me and I'm now 100% happy. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, straight out of the box this thing was an absolute delight to behold. Opening the lid of the hardcase took my breath away, the tiger striping of the AAA Maple top has been bookmatched slightly off kilter on purpose apparently to give it a slightly different look. Desert Burst was my choice and I don't regret it. It is a stunning instrument to look at. An odd thing I noticed when I opened this for the first time and even for a week or two after was a really pleasant smell, almost of vanilla. Maybe it was the moisture tabs they put in the hardcase but it was kinda nice. I could find no real flaws with this thing apart from a slight buzz on the G string up near the 10th fret but was adjusted away pretty quick. That aside, this instrument was set up precisely how I would have set it up myself. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I'm hoping I will have this guitar as a mainstay for the rest of my life. I have no doubt that if cared for properly this thing will last, it is a Gibson after all. Look at all those old Les Pauls abused and beaten by rock stars of old that still keep on keeping on. I had one problem when putting strap-locks on it was the stock screws kept coming loose after a lot of upright playing but that's a minior foible that was quickly sorted with a longer screw. The hardcase is brand new and extremely sturdy with a very plush interior. // 10

Overall Impression: As mentioned, Ive been playing blues/rock guitar for over 20 years. Ive had many guitars over that time and even made one myself. I've never been able to justify spending this amount of money on a guitar (or convincing my wife) but with the Australian Dollar being very strong against the US$ during the GFC the prices on Les Pauls here dropped quite sharply and so on turning 40 I decided that if I didn't splash out now and buy the guitar I've always wanted I probably never would. And so I did a lot of research on exactly what it was that I wanted particularly given that the Les Paul Traditional is a close runner to this. I took this over the LP Traditional because of the diversity of sound the coil tapping offers. That and the AAA Maple top which the Traditional didn't have. I had to search for the Desert Burst as there were not a lot of them in this country (Australia) as apparently Gibson didn't ship many of them here. I was left with no questions, I knew everything about what I was buying and even played it in the store. I love everything about this guitar the sound, the look and the name. I still can't believe I own something as beautifully crafted as this and which suits my style of playing so perfectly. For the first time I'm 100% happy with my tone and it will be my tone for the foreseeable future. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9.1 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014