Les Paul Standard Faded Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Standard Faded
This model is outfitted with the new BurstBucker Pro pickups with Alnico V magnets producing the most authentic, vintage Les Paul tone of any previous Standard pickups. They produce more bite and a seductive 'airy' tone with both pickups on.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
reviews (3) pictures (3) 98 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Standard Faded Reviewed by: Dyuha, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: Gibson craftsmen hand-rub the traditional sunburst finishes on the new Les Paul Standard Faded models. A satin treatment gives the Standard Faded the weathered look of an old favorite without the wear and tear. The Standard is outfitted with the new BurstBucker Pro pickups with Alnico V magnets producing the most authentic, Vintage Les Paul tone of any previous Standard pickups. They produce more bite and a seductive 'airy' tone with both pickups on. // 10

Sound: This guitar deserves a 10+ when we talk about its sound. Its sustain is just unbelievable, its pinch harmonics are sweet, the BurstBuckers Shine on this baby, they produce the most authentic LP tone. It has a nice bite to the tone: fairly smooth and solid lows, and sparkly highs. Obviously, this guitar was made for classic hard rock sounding - and this baby covers it amazingly. It's just a great sounding instrument. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up perfectly. The slim '60s neck allows your hands to feel nice and comfortable when moving quickly. The frets are nicely finished. The flame on the maple looks absolutely amazing. It's a Gibson! These guys hardly could palm off a badly adjusted instrument on you. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Very solid guitar. The finish is thin and seems to be wearing well, it's standing up well to pick scratches and all the hardware still works perfectly. Once again - it's a Gibson. So be sure, this guitar will last for years. You can rely on it without any doubts. // 10

Overall Impression: With the look and feel of an old friend and the sound of a tonal dynamo, this gorgeous instrument sports a smaller, Vintage headstock and slim taper, '60s-style neck. Don't be fooled even though it's faded - it's still a nice looking instrument and it's really a quality guitar! You should at least give it a chance. // 10

Les Paul Standard Faded Reviewed by: hvpiratevninja, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: g.c.

Features: 2005 Les Paul Std., with the faded finish. It has all the usual appointments that a Les Paul typically has... really pretty flmaed maple capped mahoganny body, cream binding, zebra striped burstbucker pro pickups, rosewood fretboard, trap. inlays, everything on mine is stock except for the tuners which I had replaced with grovers! And the pickup rings and knobs etc., I'll come back to that. Pretty much, the things I didn't like about it, cosmetically and the tuners, I replaced. // 8

Sound: Sounds wonderful. I really do love the way it sounds. This one has a chunky, yet still chimey sound too it, it rings and resonates really nicely. Unplugged, it's loud, louder than most guitar, plugged in, it is still loud. Although the pickups are 'Vintage-ish' specs, they are still hot enough to cut through effects. I've owned a lot of guitars and this one definitely sounds the best out of all of them. I could go on for days about it. I do wish I could put both pickups in parallel via some sort of push/pull pot, but that is something for a later date. The pickups do have a little bit of buzz on them, but meh, it's not enough to whine about. The grover tuners give it a bit more sustain, and the way I have it set-up makes it a little snappier and brighter, which contrasts nicely with the woods dark-nasally sound. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I have a setup that is a bit different than out of the box. I wrap the strings around the stop-bar the way Jimmy Page and Zack Wylde do, it corrects the tension I think, it also gets rid of that nasty nasal sound that happens when the strings come into contact with the bridge on their way back to the stop-bar, check it out, you'll see what I mean. I also have the stop-bar going as low as possible without touching the body. Again, if it touches the body, it gets nasally, too much nasally is bad. The finish is really thin and tacks dings and dents very easily, that is, if you press your nail on the finish, it leaves a mark, easily scratched. But, whatever, it's part of the sacrifice for a thinner finish that breaths and moves better than most. When this guitar gets older, it's going to sound better than most Vintage ones, I think. // 7

Reliability & Durability: It's very dependable. I've never broken a string or have anything freak out on it. It's fairly straight forward with few moving parts, so I think that helps. Like I said earlier about the finish though, it scratches easily. I couldn't really see anything going horribly wrong with it, ever, maybe the pots might get scratchy eventually, but I think that would be about it, and that happens with all guitars. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm happy with this guitar. Perfectly happy. I feel like I don't need another guitar, although I may want a bunch, this is 'the one' for me. I replaced everything that I wanted to on it. The pickup rings were cream colored, but I switched them to black. I also took off the pickup selector ring all together and replaced the pickup switch tip with a black one. The knobs were also replaced with dark amber colored ones instead of the gold. The tuners, which I mentioned earlier, several times. // 9

Les Paul Standard Faded Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Gibson Showcase

Features: My LP was made in 2008, in Nashville. I bought it at the Gibson Showcase in Nashville. Beautiful mahogany body with a gorgeous flame maple top, rosewood fretboard, cream binding with 2 Zebra Burtsbucker Pro's. I have the Tobacco Burst. Tune-o-matic bridge and gold knobs, came with Gibson hardcase. // 10

Sound: I play anything from jass to metal on this guitar it is very versatile. The pickups have an absolutely amazing sounds and go great with the chambered body to give great sustain and tone. There is no noise or hum from the guitar and I am playing through a Traynor 3-channel head with a Marshall 2-12 1936 Lead cabinet with no effects. I love the sound of this guitar and probably won't ever sell it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: From the second I picked this guitar up I was in love. I've played Les Pauls that felt really stiff, but this guitar is silky smooth. The neck plays amazingly well, It's a 60's neck so it's not too thick, but just right. There were absolutely no flaws in the guitar whatsoever and 4 years later the finish still looks awesome! Might not be setup right for everyone's style but then again no guitar is. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has been played live and has served as a vital workhorse during recording. Everything is great with the guitar from top to bottom. The finish has held up to heavy play over the past 4 years and all the hardware and electronics are still rock solid. It is a Gibson so it will last a lifetime! Can't say enough about the reliability of this guitar. // 10

Overall Impression: Everything about this guitar is stunning, it is just a work of art. Some people argue over LP vs. Strat, and which has more famous guitarists that use them, but the truth is all of our "guitar-heroes" have more then just one guitar. They don't play ONLY Strats, or ONLY Les Pauls. I myself have a Strat, Tele, SG and a Les Paul and I love them all for different reasons. This Gibson is an amazing example of why LP's are known worldwide and anyone that plays it loves it. I would recommend this guitar to anybody! // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ SG Special Voodoo 9.2 Electric Guitars 06/09/2014