Les Paul Standard Premium Plus Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Standard Premium Plus
The pinnacle of Les Paul beauty and performance, the Standard Premium Plus features the new, high performance Burstbucker Pro pickups with Alnico V magnets and a carved AAA maple top that just shimmers.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 9.7
 9.1
 9.9
 8.2
reviews (3) 10 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Standard Premium Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: Body. Top Species: Carved AAA flamed maple Back Species: Mahogany w/cherry finish (brown on Desert Burst) Binding: Single-ply top. Neck. Species: Mahogany Profile: '50's Rounded Peghead Pitch: 17 Thickness at 1st fret: 0.818" Thickness at 12th fret: 0.963" Heel Length: 0.625" Neck Joint Location: 16th fret Fingerboard. Species: Rosewood Scale length: 243/4" Total Length: 18.137" Nut Width: 111/16" Width at 12th fret: 2.062" Frets: 22 Inlays: Pearloid Trapezoid Binding: Single-ply Hardware. Plating Finish: Nickel Bridge: Tune-o-matic Tailpiece: Stopbar Knobs: Gold Top Hat Tuners: Green Key Electronics. Pickups: Two BurstBucker Pro pickups with Alnico V magnets Controls: Two volume, two tone, three-way Switch Case. Exterior: Black Reptile Pattern Hardshell Interior: Dark Grey Plush with Black Shroud Silkscreen: Silver 'Gibson USA' logo. // 10

Sound: The style of music I primarily play is metal. I also play blues, different styles of rock, classical, and jazz. I have been playing for many years and this was my 5th guitar. With all honesty I have to say that this is the best guitar I have ever played by any standard. The only guitar comprable to this is the Les Paul Supreme. It is significantly more expensive and is not very different except for the hardware and the flame back. The sound difference is not by any means worth the extra 900 bucks it costs. No other guitar (except very high end custom models) even compare in sound and greatness of this guitar. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up right next to perfect. I adjusted the truss rod a slight bit because I but a much heavier set of strings on (it came with .09-.46 and I put .10-.60 on it, which it holds very well). I also had to adjust the bottom pickup because it was too close to the strings after I put the heavy ones on, but in every other way this guitar is perfect. I can not describe the perfection of this instrument well enough in words. As a guitarist, you owe it to yourself to get out and play one of these, even if u dont have the cash (retail is $3400, but I'm sure u can get as good of a deal as I did-$2200). // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is solid. It wouldn't break if you slammed it on concrete. The strap buttons were fine, but with an instrument like this I had to put strap locks on it. As far as reliance goes, this is the guitar. It doesn't give out in any way and is built to the utmost perfection, handmade in Gibson's Nashville factory. The finish is the most beautiful thing ever put on a guitar and does not wear what so ever. // 10

Overall Impression: This is mosr than perfect for any music u could play. I play any kind fo metal (death, thrash, classic heavy, grind, hardcore, everything else) and this guitar sound better than professional recordings. I play it through a very crappy amp too (Crate 12'' 65 watt) and it still performs to perfection. I plan to get a Marshall JCM 800 or 2000 soon, which enhances the sound that much more. If this instrument were stolen well I couldn't buy another one cuz it's too expensive, but I sure would want to. I recomend this guitar over anything. I give it a 10 out of 5. // 10

Les Paul Standard Premium Plus Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Sound: I play doomy rock metal noise with my band The Coelacanth. I play through a JCM2000 TSL100 all-tube head and my 1960AV cab. Not noisy, until I crank up the tone to like 6, 7 or so (maybe as low as 5). What I do not like is my missing Les Paul low end, but that may be that I just need to turn down the tone knobs/preamp/volumeon the guitar? Very full sound to very bright (Stratocaster bright, no kiddin). Good for: doom, rock, punk, metal, death metal, jazz, speed metal, dark jazz, latin, whatever really, everything is available, even at volume on 3, and tone knobs on 1, this guitar will sing right through some s--t until I crank my bass on my preamp to 8 and drop highs to 2, and leave mids at 6-7 always. Wanted a heavier, more classic Les Paul than what I got, I feel like I got their answer to prs in my hands, which is not why I bought a motherf--r Les Paul. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Set-up good at factory, I made minor adjustment on Tune-O-Matic bridge piece for proper intonation in this tuning: DADGBE according to my close musician buddies/fellow guitarists/local collectors/this guitar has the finest flame maple top any of them have ever seen at any price (including a $20,000 guitar my buddy has) no flaws as of yet noticed. // 10

Overall Impression: I think I'll be happy with it more as time goes on. I would do anything for a '57 or '58 or '69 Les Paul Standard in tobacco or dark burst of some kind, or gold, hell, while I'm dreaming, I'd like a lamborghini diablo. // 10

Les Paul Standard Premium Plus Reviewed by: chrischavez, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2007 Gibson Les Paul Standard Premium Plus "Blonde Beauty". Has 22 Jumbo Frets. It has a flamed maple top. The body is mahogany. Its weighs 7.5 lbs. It has a tune-o-matic bridge. It has burstbucker pro pickups. They are passive. It has the normal three way switch. It has two vol. and two tones. It has Gibson deluxe tuners. It came with a hardshell Gibson USA case. // 10

Sound: It sounds great with any style of music. I use a Line 6 Spider 3 75 watt combo amp with it. It is a great amp for the price. It has many settings.It is not noisy at all. It doesn't hum. The guitar has a warm sound.It is a very full sound.I think it sounds a lot better than a studio les paul. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was perfect when I got it. Everything was set up. The only problem was the nut.The b string was cut too deep, so it buzzes. It only cost about $6 to get a new one though.The tuners hold very well. They never go out of tune.It was polished when I got it. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This guitar has never given me problems and I have had it for a year.The finish is just as good as it was a year ago. I think it will last longer than me.I think I would still have a backup just incase something happens.I think the hardware will last.I think this guitar will keep its sound for a very long time. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of music. I have been playing for 3 years. I would definutely buy another if it got stolen or lost. I love everyting about this guitar.The neck is very fast.My favorite feature is the pickups. I wish it had a floyd rose.I chose this guitar because it looks completely different fom the other les pauls. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune 7.1 Electric Guitars 08/15/2014