Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 06/09/2014 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker
This guitar undoubtedly goes great with all forms of rock. Though it's not THAT great for the modern metal and progressive styles. It's made for that blues and rock sound typical to Led Zeppelin and AC/DC.
 Features: 8.5
 8.8
 9.1
reviews (2) pictures (6) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2013

Purchased from: Furtados India

Features: Made in December 2011 in Nashville USA. Body: - Top: Maple - Back: Mahogany - Body Type: Chambered - Adhesive: Franklin Titebond 50 - Finish: Satin Neck: - Species: Mahogany - Profile: "Studio 50s" Rounded - Truss Rod: Traditional Adjustable - Joint Angle: 5 (+/ 15 seconds) - Adhesive: Franklin Titebond 50 Fingerboard: - Species: Baked Maple - Frets: 22 mediumjumbo frets - Radius: 12" - Nut/E.O.B: 1.695"/2.260" - Inlays: Acrylic Trapezoids Hardware: - Knobs: Gold Top Hats with Inserts - Toggle Switch: Cream with Gold Imprint - Pickguard: Cream Plastic - Strap Buttons: Black Aluminum - Tuners: TonePros Kluson-style tuners Pickups: - Neck Position: Uncovered 490R (Alnico II) - Bridge Position: Uncovered 498T (Alnico V) Electronics: - Potentiometers: 2 Volume Controls, 2 Tone Controls - Type: 300k Linear Volume, 500k Nonlinear Tone - Coil Wiring: Machine Wound - Toggle Switch: Threeway Switchcraft with White Plastic Tip - Output Jack: Traditional 1/4" // 9

Sound: I play a variety of music styles starting from '60s and '70s classic rock, a hell lot of blues, Indie rock and modern day progressive stuff as well. This is my first Les Paul guitar and I am very satisfied with it. This guitar undoubtedly goes great with all forms of rock. It gives the exact sound of Zeppelin and AC/DC with my Orange amp and Boss BD2. It has the typical FAT Les Paul Tone and an unlimited sustain. The neck pickup produces a mellow catlike purr which makes the blues sound crazy. The most striking thing about this guitar is the power is develops from both the Pickups. It's like a roaring lion. However the fat tone is not that great for playing modern metal or progressive stuff... but that is hardly the guitars fault. This is what a Studio Les Paul is supposed to be I guess. The clean tone of the guitar is good but for clean tones I always like Fender style guitars better with the single coil twang. However this guitar is a classic and a powerhouse of rock. I Love it. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: Before buying this guitar I did some research in the net about Gibson Guitars. I read that they are famous for their finish. I had to agree with that when I first saw my guitar. Everything in the guitar was dreamlike, staring from the black Gibson USA case to the white fur interiors (not real animal fur I hope) and to the guitar it self. I got the Honeyburst finish and its got a woodlike finish that I prefer more that the glossy ones that are there in the Les Paul Standards. There was a small dent in the body but I hold the retailer responsible for that. // 9

Reliability & Durability: One major disadvantage with this guitar is the tuning. It falls off after two song, but after fixing the strings in a locking manner, it has not been that great a problem. It is advisable to change the tuners to Grover Tuners. Have not played live with the guitar yet but it looks and sounds sturdy enough to withstand live playing, and the finish also seems pretty strong. The strap buttons are a little small but strong. It seems to be a pretty dependable guitar and I bought I mainly because I wanted a better live sound. I think that this guitar will solve that purpose and can be used without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a variety of music styles starting from '60s and '70s classic rock, a hell lot of blues, indie rock, and modern day progressive stuff as well. The '50s Tribute suits me very well though it's not THAT great for the modern metal and progressive styles. It's made for that blues and rock sound typical to Led Zeppelin and AC/DC. '80s metal like Randy Rhoads tones come off brilliantly as well. I wish this guitar had a clean tone like a Fender Tele, but I guess that s an impossibility with a Les Paul. Yes I would definitely find the thief who steals this guitar from me and take it back from him. Video from YouTube:

// 9

Les Paul Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker Reviewed by: menotyou1255, on june 09, 2014

Purchased from: American Musical Supply, Inc.

Features: While having a very classic look it is actually a modern take on the Les Paul 2012 edition made in USA with 22 Medium jumbo frets Mahogany neck a baked maple fretboard and contoured maple top I have a few small issues first of all the pick ups it would've been nice if they had included the '50s Burstbuckers it would've been cool if it had coil tapping. At first I was very skeptical of the baked maple fretboard however that has turned out to be my favorite part of the guitar. Mahogany body and '50s rounded neck are very comfortable to my hands (not for all)this is a very lite weight guitar compared to my other Les Paul's. And that's a good thing. // 8

Sound: Good sound although would have been nice if the 57 Burstbuckers came on the '50s Les Paul. Came with Uncovered 490R Alnico II and Uncovered 498T Alnico V they sound pretty good. I play blues, rock, country and roots Americana so this guitar suits what I play very well. The guitar has a very full bassy sound that is good for some kinds of music but not all. I've been playing through a Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue 40-Watt and a Marshall Dual Super Lead 40-watt with single 12 inch speakers and a Whirlwind Selector A/B Box I get good classic country and classic rock sounds. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar came with tens on it and a very good set up from the factory played it for several days without doing anything however, I always do my own set up it's my guitar so I wanted to play like I want it. The height of the pickups needed to be adjusted. Finish on this guitar is a thin nitrocellulose Matt finish. The top is very nice and the paint job is good however there was a blemish on the back of the neck down where the neck meets the guitar body that's something I don't care about but not exactly perfect. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Got this in 2012 and played two years worth of gigs on it with no back up and no problems. The downfall of this guitar is its tuners they stay in tune but not for an entire gig. Strap buttons are tiny aluminum jobs and needed to be replaced in my opinion. This guitar has a thin nitrocellulose finish that will wear when you sweat on it. I played several times a week I do gigs several times a month and this guitar has never let me down just keep going I don't see any and there are no foreseeable problems in the future this guitar is very dependable very reliable I would not hesitate to use this at a gig without a back up and I do. // 10

Overall Impression: I play rock country blues and Americana so this guitar is a good match for me. I played fender for years but wanted a Les Paul for those classic tones I love. I've been playing professionally for 20 years mostly country and roots music. I wish I had known more about the baked maple neck and the '50s rounded neck before I purchase this guitar. However both have turned out to be a blessing. If I lost this guitar or someone stole it or it got broken, I'd be very sad because this is a discontinued guitar they don't make them anymore anyway I would want another one if I could find it. // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune 7.1 Electric Guitars 08/15/2014