Les Paul Studio Faded Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Studio Faded
it has a 24.75 scale, mahogany body and 50's profile set neck, carved top and a rosewood fingerboard with pearloid Trapezoid inlays and 22 frets.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.9
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 8.9
 8.5
 7.9
reviews (10) pictures (4) 29 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Studio Faded Reviewed by: tomxrich, on november 09, 2012

Features: I hadn't seen a review for this here, and although it's essentially just an LP Studio, it is still a different model so I thought I'd post one up. So here goes... At the end of the day this is a Gibson for an RRP of 649 so it was always going to be a good buy. It came with a combination-locking Gibson hard case which has a few useful compartments in it and a super soft lining to keep it all safe. The case also smells a lot like vanilla, not that that's relevant in any way. Mine was USA made in 2008 and the spec is pretty obvious. As you'd expect it has a 24.75 scale, mahogany body and 50's profile (palm filling but not over the top) set neck, carved top and a rosewood fingerboard with pearloid Trapezoid inlays and 22 frets. I got mine in the "worn brown" colourway as opposed to the cherry because personally I thought it was a little classier. Either colour comes with chrome hardware and pickup covers and on the subject of pickups, it has the 490R neck and 498T bridge pickups with ceramic magnets. Also, you get the typical stop tail tune-o-matic bridge set-up and twin volume and tone controls with a 3 way pickup selector. // 9

Sound: I generally play metal and hardcore, although I do dabble with most other music types just for variety, and although this is said often I really believe the versatility of this guitar is unparalleled. The Les Pau design offers great sustain and a good tone for most types of music and when running straight into an amp the pickups seem to hold up well to everything from rock to blues to clean playing. As I mainly play heavier stuff I use mine with a Marshall Valvestate half stack and a Boss Metalzone MT-2 pedal. This combination with the ceramic pickups sounds lethal. Although the pickups are passive, Ceramic magnets generally give a tone better suited to metal than Alnico items, and these definitely do. I dial the MT-2 back a fair bit as it's quite an intrusive pedal, and it does give a serious punch in the ear. For metal the rhythm sound is good, but the lead sound is unreal for a guitar of this price and without active pickups like EMGs... which leads me to the next point; Even with high gain etc this guitar doesn't generate a lot of buzz or unwanted noise compared to a lot of guitars I've played. I may change up to an EMG 81 in the bridge at some point and get a decent noise gate t oreduce the hum but for now I'm more than happy enough with it. I definitely rate it highly in the sound department. I've also managed to get some good dirty rock as well as super smooth blues tones out of it and other people have used the non-metal side of my guitar to good effect, so don't let my glowing Metal/Hardcore recommendation put you off if you're one of the folks who dislikes a full on aural assault. This guitar has a genuine ability to provide the sound you want in any area and the clean tones you can achieve are also Stellar. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The finish on this guitar is perfect, but then when you have no binding or pimp bits to worry about, or even paint, and you're building a style of guitar that you've built countless amounts of before build quality should never have been an issue - and unsurprisingly it wasn't. It came well set up with a good action, it was properly strung, perfectly in tune with correct intonation, and all parts fitted properly and securely. There is no possible way I could knock the guitar in this area. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have played this guitar for a good while now, and I haven't had any problems besides the bottom strap button coming loose. This only happened once and it wasn't loose at all, I only noticed it because I regularly maintain and check my guitars and unless I was as picky as I am I wouldn't even have bothered. The chroming on the hardware seems top quality and hasn't tarnished at all in a year and the body seems resistant to knocks and scuffs as I have tapped it on a few walls and surfaces. I would never play Live without a back up purely due to possible string breakages but as the guitar itself goes I believe it would be 100% reliable in any situation. Top marks again. // 9

Overall Impression: The bottom line as far as I'm concerned is that for any style of music, for any level of player, and even if it cost more than the bargain price you can pick these up for, this guitar would be worth every penny. It really is that good, and as Gibson claim it is a straight up, no frills Les Paul with "traditional performance and modern attitude". There isn't anything I really dislike about this guitar other than it looking a bit bland, but that is the nature of this guitar and although sometimes I wouldn't mind a bit more flash, it would loose it's character as a sort of working class hero if it got it's tux on and tried to be an on-the-cheap Les Paul Standard or Custom. I have a Jackson RR3, a modified Dean ML, a pair of Epiphone Les Pauls (one is the Gothic model, the other is a Standard) and a couple of different acoustics, as well as playing countless other guitars, and this is one of the finest I've come across in a price/performance case. Amazing playability, reliability, price and anything else I've missed. // 10

Les Paul Studio Faded Reviewed by: danno1976, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Features: 2005 all mahogany LP studio. Purchased in '10 off of ebay. Wow. This is not my first LP, or even my first Gibson, but it is my first Studio model and my first guitar made of only one kind of wood. Very tough looking guitar, Faded mahogany color, Black trimmings, nickel hardware. She has such a different tone as compared to standards I've owned. Fat and muddy rhythm and sweet, dusky treble. I play alot of blues and classic rock and she powers through every song I play. Really gave me a danker sound that I was looking for on stage. Not as bright as the standard, but perfect for my style. '59 style rounded neck, kinda fat but I'm getting used to it, actually makes solos easier but a little tougher to fret some of the stretchier chords. All my Epis and Stds in the past have had the 60's slim taper neck, this is a different animal but an absolute joy to play nonetheless. Came with (I am assuming) stock humbuckers that have a "patent applied for" sticker on the back of them. They sound alright to me, but I think a set of SD APH's is in order. Again, a personal preference on my tone, no knock on the quality of the pickups, they sing just fine, just not my sound. Action came to me a little high but (as on any Gibson) was an easy fix. Has Vintage style Gibson deluxe tuners with the green knobs. They work great, but I will soon be putting Grover Locking tuners on. Another personal preference, once I discovered those, there was no turning back and they are on every guitar I own (9). Also, straplocks. Invest in them. Even though this has a Gibson chambered body for tonality, it is still a heavy guitar (about 8 lbs) and I learned the hard way on a '66 SG how valuable they are. Must have on any guitar with a strap. // 9

Sound: I play a cross of Stevie Ray meets Slash meets Neil Young. Rocking blues and some modern covers, along with my blues based originals and she has not let me down yet. It is quickly becoming my primary road guitar by a wide margin. Very dank sound, a little meatier than the standard, not quite as searing or airy, and I know that's because of the mahogany top. I play through a 15w Fender super champ XD, slightly dirty, that feeds a homemade cabinet that is switchable between 2 and 4 speakers, depending on the setting, and use just a few pedals to get what I want. Boss TU2 tuner, Boss Blues driver (mostly clean, just use it for a little volume boost on my leads), Dunlop crybaby, and Boss digital delay. that's my rig. The amp has plenty of features but that will be another review. Whatever I dial up on the amp, this guitar is ready for it. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: It's a Gibson! For crying out loud! I hear all kind of complaints about Gibson's quality of late, I own now 6, and have owned close to 20 Gibsons and they are all flawless. They are the most well put together guitar I have ever run into, I sold all my other guitar but one of my fenders and just play Gibson now. I do have a couple of Epiphones that I use when I want a little less punch on recordings but on stage it's Gibson only. Any flaws I could point out are my personal choices when it comes to hardware, not any negative towards what Gibson puts out every single day. The faded mahogany top looks great, it's supposed to look aged and it does. It's not a $2k standard, so I am very pleased with the color and look of the guitar. I might try and find a cherry one for my second road axe. // 10

Reliability & Durability: OMG! Again, It's a Gibson. I have never had a problem with any of my gibsons (or epiphones for that matter) that I have not caused myself. Again straplocks! A balsa wood guitar would still fall on stage if not for straplocks. Any brand will do, I have used them all. Personally like the look of the hennessey NSL series. Every guitar I own will outlive me, and hopefully my children if they take care of them when I'm gone. Over 100 years and people still shell out a months salary or more on their product... That speaks for itself. If I ever go to a gig without a second guitar shoot me where I stand. Accidents happen. But, if I could guarantee my clumsiness not a factor, I don't need any other guitar on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for about 20 years now, gigging regularly for 8, and this is a great battle axe for being on stage. Plus at the price, I'm not going to commit hari-kari over an accident or theft like I would say over a '66 SG that has never fully recovered or my prized '72 Standard that I don't let my kids breathe on! It's durable, affordable, and more than capable. // 10

Les Paul Studio Faded Reviewed by: prodo123, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

Features: I bought a 2009 Gibson Les Paul Studio. Finally, a chambered Les Paul! Surprisingly, it is EXTREMELY light, lighter than my Squier Strat. It has great tone, sounds just like a Les Paul Custom. The only downsides are that the frets are too high and the strap buttons slip all the time. // 10

Sound: Again, if you have a Les Paul Standard or Custom, you wasted about $2000. This sounds the same, all you have to do is get a new fret job and replace the strap button. Sounds great with any amp and effect, not noisy at all, high output, rich and bright tone, and extremely versatile. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The wood was somewhat chipped, and I think there is a Sharpie mark on the body. The action is smooth, and it easily bends. The only flaws are in intonation, which is slightly but unnoticeably off, and the strap button. It is not noisy at all, and the bridge is solid. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is probably the most reliable guitar. Ever. The strap buttons slip, but that's it. It will probably outlive me. The finish is strong, and it can Shine even brighter with some polish. This guitar probably doesn't need a backup, it being reliable enough to start out with. // 9

Overall Impression: The only thing it needs is a vibrato bar, preferrably a Bigsby. Other than that, it will make owners of LP Standard and Custom feel like they wasted a lot of money. The people at Gibson did a really good job making a cheaper, good-sounding and as-durable Les Paul. // 10

Price paid: € 649

Purchased from: Woodbrass.com

Features: 2010 USA Made in Worn Brown Colour. 22 frets, 24.75'' scale and a 50's style neck. Maple top with chambered mahogany back. Neck is mahogany. BurstBucker pickups. Came with a deluxe gigbag. // 10

Sound: I play on a Queen tribute band so my main guitar is a Red Special replica but I always liked the sound of a Gibson. When I play different stuff at home (Gary Moore, Santana, Guns N' Roses, Free, etc) this is the guitar I pick! Amazing sound and sustain thru a Vox AC30 with a Treble Booster. All the pickup combinations sound good and suit different songs. I had a Standard and this guitar sounds better. It haves more sustain as well (chambered body? ). // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know if I was lucky or not but this particular guitar have an out of the box PERFECT intonation, action and tuning stability. I don't know if the guys at Woodbrass did a setup (I doubt it! ) but I was very surprised with this level of setup actually. All hardware was well adjusted. Only "flaw" I have to refer is that the bottom strap button is to thin and does not suit my Levi's thick leather strap well. I don't know if it's a flaw of this guitar or if they all like this. I will change the strap buttons (but what the heck I always do ). // 9

Reliability & Durability: It looks and feels so solid. It's a Gibson jezz. I don't know what else to write. It really feels its gonna last forever! // 10

Overall Impression: As I refered my style of music is Queen. So I wouldn't say it matches the style but I play other stuff as well and for that other stuff the guitar is just perfect. I play for more than 20 years and have/had several other guitars and this a HUGE addition to the collection no doubt! Again my only complain is that bottom strap button... The space coiuld be wider for a thick leather strap. If it was stolen/lost I would buy another in a heartbeat. I choose this guitar for price and because it's so different from a common Gibson and I couldn't be more happy! RECOMMENDED! // 10

Price paid: C$ 950

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Features: - Maple Top, chambered Mahogany Body. (Worn Cherry Finish) - Rose wood fingerboard with Acrylic Trapezoidal inlays - BurstBucker Pro Bridge and Neck Pickups, chrome finished. - 50's style neck - Grover tuners with Kluson-style green keys - Tune-o-matic bridge/Stop bar Tailpiece - Corian Nut, made by the Gibson PLEK system - Black plastic tuning knobs, pickguard, etc. - Gibson Hardcase included To start with, I just wanted to write the review of my new Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded because I scoured this sight and at least the first 4 pages of Google, not to mention all the video there is on YouTube in the months I spent researching this guitar, and felt I needed to contribute to that pool. Also, I'm not going to be rating anything ten, because when is anything ever perfect? This is my first REAL electric. I had a sh-tty Strat knock-off, that even when I tuned sounded like shit. So, after taking the clerk's advice and buying an Acoustic first, decided to drop some cash and buy a guitar that I could be happy with for the rest of my life. I've always lived the Gibson shape. Jimmy Page desribed it best: "Liek a piece of sculpture, the curving lines. Like a woman, and you can Caress it like a woman!" So I sat back and researched. I looked at a Fender '72 Tele Thinline, a Gretsch Electromatic 122 DC, and then I found this beauty. The Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded is exactly what the Gibson site advertises, a no frills guitar with the same tonal capabilities as their higher end guitars. The reason its cheaper is simply because of somewhat lesser quality wood, and no bursts or binding. In other words, the finish is the main difference that distinguishes this guitar from the $2300 Les Paul Traditionals. The stopbar/tune-omatic combo is Standard in all Gibsons, the hardware, is for the most part the same, and the Burstbucker Pro humbucker pickups are featured in the $3899 2008 Les Paul standard. Admittedly there are some differences (Grover tuners without the Kluson-style knobs on the standard) but really, if you're looking for all the tonal capability, and don't want to pay Thousands for it, this is and amazing deal. Plus it says Gibson on the headstock, and that little detail honestly just tickles me pink every time I see it. // 9

Sound: I play Jazz as part of my musical training, but my heart and soul musically are entrenched in blues, and blues rock. I'll throw a few names of people I listen to and cover out there so you get an Idea. Black Keys, Joe Bonamassa, Eric Clapton, Cream, Led Zeppelin, Rev. Gary Davis, Howlin' Wolf, Hendrix, etc. I play my Gibson through a Fender Blues Junior, and it works great. Clean, the amp gives me smooth modern Jazz tones though the rhythm pickup with the volume dialed back, and then bites nice and sharp with the treble. I can to a creamy version of "Autumn Leaves" and then flip to a round, and distinct "Ramble On". For distortion, I have a little Kustom Bass amp I got when I was starting out that distorts surprisingly well, and the guitar is the reall star there, allowing me to do Zeppelin to Black Keys level creamy (rhythm) or sharp (neck) bluesy distortion. And of course, as with all Les Paul, beautiful sustain. Only comment is that the pickups are almost a little too noisy sometimes, but a quick dial back on the volume knob fixes that up right away. Its really is as advertised. Beautiful tonal range. Great sounds, makes me want to play and play and play. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'll start with the finish. I read a lot of criticism about the lack of burst on this guitar, how it was a compromise to be dealt with when buying it. I disagree entirely. I love the finish of my guitar, which has a Worn Cherry finish. I get lots of compliments on the wood grain, and it has the great side effect of giving the neck almost a satin finish, which I love (can't stand glossy necks). I would say the finish isn't a black mark on this guitar but a selling point. Also, all the pictures and video online don't do this thing justice. Check out at a store, you'll see what I mean, she's a sexy beast. In terms of the set up of my guitar I have no complaints so far. A bit of Fret buzz on the E and A strings, but Long and Mcquade gives you a free set up with a purchase, so that's no biggie. All the knobs and switches tune smoothly and the pickup selector Switch clicks nicely into place. Action is just where I want it... But really this section is about personal preference really. Did they set it up well in the factory? Yes. Is it to my liking? Mostly. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm treating this thing Like its made of glass, because I love it to bits, but could I drop it and have it still be ok? Yeah. Could I gig with it? Yeah, totally, but I'd want to (and probably will anyway) install strap locks, because the small Gibson strap buttons scare the shit out of me. I don't want this beauty to break. I love it to pieces. Reliable as all hell. Doesn't feed back, unless I hold it right to the amp, and the dials all have a real effect on the sound. Based on the reliability of it as a guitar, would I gig with it? Yes. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall Impression? Love this sexy thing. Tones? Versatility? There. Finish? There. Hardware? Definitely there. Durability? Unknown. Reliability? There. If you are looking for a good, versatile guitar that's a solid investment without breaking the bank, I fully recommend the Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded. It does it all, and well, and looks beautiful to boot. // 9

Les Paul Studio Faded Reviewed by: davidrf, on november 09, 2012

Price paid: € 650

Purchased from: Musicarte (Italy)

Features: My Les Paul Studio was (I already sold it) a 2009 model in Faded Worn Cherry color. I think there's no need to repeat again the specs, since they were already clearly explained in the other reviews. The included Gibson gig bag is just hideous, light years worse than the Fender Deluxe Gig Bag I have on my American Special Stratocaster. I instantly bought a DeSalvo hard case. // 8

Sound: I play rock/classic rock/hard rock/a tiny bit of metal and this guitar was really well suited. I used it with several solid state and modeling amps. It never was noisy and the sound is more or less the one you expect from a Les Paul, with warm and full tones (naturally you don't have to expect it to sound like a 1959 Les Paul Custom). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was terribly set-up at the factory. High action, ridiculous strings, unbeliavably bad string wounding (my luthier said "I've never seen anything like this... It looks like the job of a 5 year old"). The guitar had a fret in urgent need of leveling, and it just couldn't stay in tune. Every 2-3 mintues of playing (I'm not joking) you needed to re-tune, especially the G string. I brought it to the luthier to get a professional setup, and he tried any possible thing (even changing the nut) before changing the tuners, but that was just the problem. Once I changed the original crappy tuners with locking Grover Rotomatics the guitar could stay in tune for days. They say lately Gibson quality control is a bit "distracted", well I can assure you that it's the truth, at least for my guitar. // 5

Reliability & Durability: I don't know about the reliability of this guitar since I sold it after 5 months. During that period of time it always gave me the impression of a pretty robust thing, but given the initial issues I had I wouldn't bet my house on this. // 8

Overall Impression: I couldn't say I didn't love this guitar, because in general I still think it's a pretty good deal for the money. But the out-of-the-box flaws I experienced were very irritating and forced me to spend additional 180 (almost 250$) on the guitar on locking tuners, fret leveling and new nut! Would I buy it again? NO, in fact I sold it after 5 months and now I'm about to buy a LTD EC-1000, more expensive YES but with tons more of quality. If I could go back in time, I'd save more money and buy the LTD instead (then again, with the extra money I had to put on the Les Paul, I could almost get the EC 1000 right away). If you want to buy one, TRY IT and look for any possible flaw. Be sure to check if it stays in tune. If you find a particular well-built model, it could be a good deal. // 8

Les Paul Studio Faded Reviewed by: willguitar97, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Aylesbury Music

Features: Made in the USA, mahogany body, maple cap, rosewood fingerboard andt he pickups are burstbuckers. 22 frets, four controls - 2 tone, two volume. Came in a nice locking hardcase, very road ready. Non-gloss finish, easy to play. Very, very light, (unlike the traditionals and older standards). Faded cherry finish and over time has become even more faded and it looks really nice. // 9

Sound: I play Indie rock, blues rock, funk, rockabilly and some hard rock, which this guitar sounds great for all. I run it into a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, using a Hardwire CM-2 for overdrive and the combination sounds fantastic. With some light overdrive on the bridge pickup you can get a great Arctic Monkeys/Strokes tone. You can also get a great Led Zeppelin tone with the bridge pickup, same with the black keys. With a clean amp and the neck pickup you can get a good funk tone. With some slapback delay and the bridge you can get the Rockabilly sound and with a cranked amp you can get your Guns N Roses, AC/DC and Metallica tone. It sounds equally great with clean and overdrive. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I tried a few standards and trasitionals but to me this feels better. The neck doesn't get sticky when your hands sweat and it has faded nicely through time. Good action strait from the shop and all the pots were fine. I did have trouble keeping it in tune but it turned out it was because I changed string gauge to 10s which was easily fixed at my local shop. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have gigged this guitar quite a bit and used it everyday for the last 3 years and it serves me well. I did change the strap buttons to strap locks because it kept falling off but now its fine. I use it as my only guitar at the moment when I gig as so far I haven't needed another, although I did want a nice Telecaster as a back up. The finish does wear away but in my opinion, it looks better when it does. // 10

Overall Impression: This guitar is a workhorse - it sounds great, looks great and will serve you gig after gig. If it were to be stolen I would definatly get another. I do recommend you run it through a tube amp, as I did play it through my Marshall MG100DFX for a few years and it sounded OK but when I switched to a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe the sound improved greatly. If you want a sound demo go to this video of me playing it. // 10

Les Paul Studio Faded Reviewed by: Guitargenius84, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: GuitarGuitar (Newcastle)

Features: This Les Paul was obviously made in the USA, I bought the worn brown Les Paul Studio. The neck is nicely rounded and fills your hand perfectly fitting into your palm snugly, and has 22 like most other Les Pauls. The mahogany wood and finish creates a beautiful looking retro Les Paul, unlike most other Les Pauls, the Faded Series has no lacker or varnish type finish leaving the wood looking natural and suiting the '60s. The electronics are similar to most Les Pauls: 3 way toggle (neck, bridge and both pickups), there are 2 volume pots and 2 tone pots, the burst bucker pro pickups provide a strong and full high output volume and versatile tone+volume from the knobs. The Grover tuners with Vintage keys look extremely good and do their job well by handling nicely and staying in tune extremely well. Although they aren't locking tuners they stay in tune better than most locking tuners I have used. When I bought the guitar, it came with a Gibson USA gig bag that protects the guitar well. // 9

Sound: I play in 3 bands, 2 of which I play guitar, one band plays rock n roll/blues style music (e.g. Chuck Berry) and the other plays modern rock sort of crap like The Killers. I have had this Gibson for a couple of months now and use it at almost every gig I do. I also record a lot in a studio and this guitar is perfect for both. It provides a variety of versatile tones and the humbuckers give it that classic Les Paul sound working extremely well with the solid body and fixed neck. The volume pots are very versatile, cracking them down will give you a lower gain bluesy tone, whilst Cracking the up will give you a full warm and powerful tone. The Tone pots provide a variety of sounds, making the guitar sound more cloudy as you crank them down (a nice tone for "Money For Nothing"-Dire Straits). The Treble/Neck pickup provides a harsh sound with plenty of bite great for rock, metal, rock n roll, indie... Pretty much anything, and the Rhythm/neck pickup provides a mellow bluesy tone great for high pitched screaming (for example "Sweet Child O' Mine"-GnR solo). My overall opinion on the sound is great on this guitar, I recommend this guitar if you want versatility and powerful tones. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Gibson always put their guitars through many tests before they leave the factory and this involves checking action, intonation, electronics and overall playability. When I received the guitar, I was impressed by the great action and playability. Like all guitars, you do occasionally get the odd fret buzz, but nothing to worry about, as its not bad enough to come through the amp. I am pleased with the way it has been set up. The guitar is built extremely well and plays great. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I haven't owned this guitar long, it hasn't been battered up from gigging yet and still looks new, but I believe it is a well made guitar and feels great. The finish is quite plain and around the neck, there is no lacker so your hand slides up and down the neck nicely so don't worry about getting sweaty hands whilst playing this guitar! It is a good guitar that I recommend for those who play in bands gigging and in the studio. // 8

Overall Impression: I play through a Vox AD50 semi-valve amp that gives a versatile and powerful tone, it works well with the Les Paul and this guitar suits any style of music. If I had to replace it, I would definitely get the same guitar again, its value for money is amazing and I'm dead impressed by what I got. It was a good buy! In comparison to a Gibson Les Paul Standard, the only thing it lacks is the finish, but I personally love the finish on the faded series LP studio, the 50s/60s style suits me well. I tried out a lot of guitars before buying this, I tried an Epiphone 60s Tribute Les Paul (which I didn't like at all, the locking tuners didn't stay in tune well at all, the finish was cheap and nasty, the electronics felt cheap...) I also tried out a Gibson SG, which I didn't like either, mainly because it is a strange feeling guitar that is top heavy and looks ugly. I finally found out about this Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded series and tried it, loved it. The value for money is great, I would recommend this to everyone, it is a great guitar that I love to play. Considering that the LP Studio Faded costs so little, it is a great guitar and I got more that I expected when I bought it! // 10

Les Paul Studio Faded Reviewed by: SkilletFan57, on november 09, 2012

Features: I bought this guitar last year, which of course means that it is the 2011 model. This model has a chambered mahogany body with a mahogany top. This model also has a rosewood fretboard. It has two Burstbucker Pro pickups, (that sound awesome!) a three way pickup selector, and a faded cherry finish. It also has the standard 2 tone and 2 volume controls. // 8

Sound: I play this guitar through my Peavey Windsor Head with a homade cab, and my Zoom G7.1UT. I mostly play rock and blues, but I also throw in some hard rock and metal. This guitar fits my style perfectly. This guitar does rock amazingly, giving a full, fat overdriven sound, but it also sound absolutely outstanding with cleans. The bridge pickup can be a little harsh sometimes, but that can be fixed by rolling back the tone slightly. Overall sounds awesome! // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The action was a bit high out of the box, and still isn't quite low enough for my liking. I have noticed slight buzzing but you can't hear it through the amp. The finnish is extremely comfortable and is now one of my favorite finnishes of all time. The guitar could have had a better action, but is still playable. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I have played at my church, at music festivals, etc. And I have never had a problem with this guitar. The strap buttons were to small for my strap, but strap locks where an easy fix for that. The finnish is sturdy and has not yet started to rub off. I would deffinately trust this thing at a gig. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for 4 years going on 5. This guitar perfectly fits my playstyle and my budget. This guitar goes perfectly with my Peavey Windsor Head and really delivers a sound that one would expect from a much more expensive guitar. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I would deffinatly consider buying a new one. I compared this guitar to some of the more expensive Les Pauls and I couldn't tell a difference in the sound. If there were one thing I could change about this guitar, I would give it a Maple top, and a better action. // 9

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: Les Paul Studio Faded, brown. 450 used on eBay. Soft case, 10 gauge Ernie Ball strings. Dual humbuckers (I think 498r and 490t but there is alot of confusion as to which year/model has which pickups. 3 way pickup selector (Bridge, Bridge/Neck, Neck). Separate volume and tone controls for each pickup. Input port on edge of guitar body with straight cable as opposed to right angled on the face of guitar body on SG. // 8

Sound: I play everything but lately have been getting into grunge. I've had a Gibson SG for many years and only traded it in for a Les Paul for the extra sustain. Also I have grown weary of the cheesy SG look. I am very familiar with the pickup setup on the SG and the LP is identical. I'm running it through a BOSS DS-1 into an Orange Tiny Terror. The sound is amazing, same as the SG. Only I find that changing the pickup and adjusting the tone controls has much more of a dramatic effect on the LP than the SG, allowing for a wider range of tones. And the heavier body means more sustain of course. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The balance is the first thing I noticed on the LP, the SG used to spin when I let go of it on the strap due to the heavy neck. The LP is perfectly balanced. I can let go of it in perfect confidence. I found it alot smaller than it looks on the TV, maybe it's just me. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've had the guitar a few months. I am having a problem with the pickup selector, sometimes the neck pickup doesn't engage properly without a little fiddling. I don't blame this on the guitar, rather the previous owner. But it's worth mentioning, just in case it's a common problem. // 7

Overall Impression: Amazing guitar. Wish I'd bought it in the first place instead of the SG, or maybe had both. Works very well with the grunge I've been writing and surprisingly the brown faded look is a hell of a lot meaner than the Cherry SG. I recommend it to anyone, regardless of musical style. If I lost it I'd be devastated and find a new one straight away, // 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014