Les Paul Studio Gem Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Studio Gem
22 frets, 2 volume 2 tone and a 3 way selector switch; standard Les Paul shape, gold coloured hardwear normal for Les Paul, with a nice pink lined Gibson case.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.3
 8.2
reviews (3) 4 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Studio Gem Reviewed by: UG Team, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sound Controll

Features: Bought it new in 98. So made 97-98?? 22 frets, 2 volume 2 tone and a 3 way selector Switch. pickup configuration ??? one near bridge one near fretboard ?? P 90 pickups, passive, Rosewood Fretboard don't know about body/neck as they're coloured, sunburst yellow to black no piping, standard Les Paul shape, really heavy, gold coloured hardwear normal for Les Paul, nice neck (well I think so), came with a nice pink lined Gibson case. // 8

Sound: With the P 90 pickups it generates a very "clean" sound which with modern effects means a huge variety of sounds is possible. I plat everything from Glen Miller style dance band to Guns 'n Roses using a Line6 Spider 50w 2 x 10. The only "peculiarity" it has is it has a very deep bass sound on the Neck pickup which has to be set accordingly to hold this in check, but overall it plays well and sounds good for everything I do. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought it as an ex-demo and therefor it was a little "shop soiled" and the nut needed replacing as it interfered with the tuning, the pickups needed setting and generally the whole guitar needed a good setup( no more than you'd expect from a Demo guitar I suppose) There were no other flaws though and it played well once it was re-strung and setup. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I've used this guitar for the past 4 years and it's done some extensive travelling it has been used and abused but has weathered very well apart from the plating wearing off the hardwear. I usually get it setup and checked at least once a year and it needed some fretwork done for the first time about 4 months ago. The finish on the body/neck is still in good order apart from a couple of chips (where it took a hefty knock or two). Strap buttons seem welded on, it's VERY dependable and I use it regularly on Gigs without a backup!! // 10

Overall Impression: Been playing around 6 years, has a few other guitars but like this one the best. The only thing I wish it has was a tremlo arm ( soon to be sorted maybe) More than happy with it and would replace it with the same if I could find one. // 8

Les Paul Studio Gem Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Nederland Muziek

Features: Well, I'm gonna tell you guys something about my Gibson Les Paul I bought about 4 months ago. And I think I now my guitar now well enough to give you some little revieuw about it. Hope it is usefull to you. It is an USA made Gibson Les Paul Studio /w a wine-red finish, witch is transparant (you can see the wood through the finish). Uhm, the top species are from maple witch is a very heavy kind of wood, but made the best tone. The wood is carved, no flametop. As I told, the wood is heavy so they made a sandwitch, so they used lighter mahogany as backspecies. We got a 3-way Switch, 2 volume controls and 2 tone controls, witch are all black. We got two humbers, one bridge and one neck, witch feature alnico 2 magnets. (That means that the magnets are made from Aluminium, Nikkel and Cadmium. I hope i'm right about that, otherwise you need to contact the Gibson site @ www.Gibson.com) The neck humbucker is model 490R, the neck one 498T, witch will give a little more "bite", extremeley usefull for rock, while the neckpickup is very usefull for melodies, and when you roll back the tone controll for this pickup, you create the so called "womantone", much used by artists as Slash (from Guns N` Roses) for in his solo's. The guitar is featured with a single cutaway witch is standard for a Les Paul. The bridge is tune-o-matic. There is one little minus about a t.o.m. bridge. Not that the system doesn't work properly, that's just perfect. But it is a well known thing that your strings will break quicker than with the system Fender uses on their srats. But, don't worry, I play about 2 hours a day and I use .010 Bright Wires and mostly they will brak after three weeks. And new strings always provide a better tone. The neck is made of one piece mahogany, the fretboard is rosewood and got pearloid trapezoid inlays. Further has the whole guitar no binding. That's why I not bought a burst finish, because I only like them if there's a binding. The case was included, witch is very strong and got Gibson USA printed on the shell. Further we can found a little screwdriver in it so you can adjust the humbucker highness. // 10

Sound: This guitar suites my musicstyle so extremely well! It is just such a nice rock guitar with such a verry strong tone. It got a verry rich and full sound. Witch this guitar, I also bought a Marshall MG50DFX amp, and that's just the best combination I ever played on. But the gain on 5, the bass on 7 and the trebble on 7, contour at 0 and you just get that realy nice rock sound, well known from Guns N` Roses. Im not from n English speaking country so my english is maybe a little worse, so it's very difficult for me to express myself about the sound I get from it, but thrust me, it's just great. You will never play on a different guitar ever again! After I bought this guitar I went to another guitarshop and tryed there a Epiphone Les Paul Custom. Well, you can realy hear the less quality of the sound, while Epiphone is a very nice second choice. But it's just the sound, it's not in harmony with eachother. So, you can imagine I was just more happy about my Gibson after I walked out that store! // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Well, uhm, there's not very much I can tell you guys about this part, just that it is -again- very good! On the top of the form I must fill in stands that I have to be critical, but we talk about a Gibson, and that's just the high end for guitars. The only thing what is sometimes a little irritating are the straplocks. They are (maybe?) a littlebit tiny so it's easy for your strap to break lose. I don't mean the straplock will break, not at all! But you have to buy a strap that is from realy "hard" lether so it won't come of (after a while) as soon as you play on your guitar vertically, like you may will do in solo's to get to the highest frets (or just because it looks cool). But If you don't think it's save enough you can buy straplocks from Jim Dunlop or some other brand witch are slightly bigger, and replace the old one by this new straplocks. But this little tiny thing about the straplocks can't just wipe out me impression about how the guitar is made, witch is, once again, just excellent. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I think this guitar will resist very much. Of course, every guitar that is played very much over years will loose some of it's "new" look, butI think it will stand the time well. BUT, this guitar has golden hardware. And something little negative is that it will fade away after some time. This will begin by the bridge, were your palm lays very next to. After some time you will see that it first seems to be a littlebit uhm, just not gold anymore, and after some time you will begin to see the metal under the finish. After the four months I used it from now, only at the top of the t.o.m. bar you see this. The stopbar is still intact and also the finish of the gold plated humbuckers. About the humbuckers. They seem to fit a little loose. I mean that the tailhumbucker is moveble. The neck isn't because it is in it's most downwards position. I don't know of this is normal, so far I had no problems with the humbuckers. I don't know I wouldn't play on this guitar without a backup, I don't think it isn't wise at all to play without a backup. There can happen always something, and a guitar isn't from concretem it is still an instrument, and like with all guitars, the neck part is just a part of the guitar you have to take extra care of. But I realy can say I can depend on this instrument, it makes just a solid impression. // 8

Overall Impression: I personally play the kind of style of music like Slash, which is just my hero. And because he only depend on Gibson Les Paul guitars in combination with Marshall amps, I can only say this is just the perfect fit for me. But I think it is just for so many styles a very good fit. This instrument is so one of a kind in it's sound and playebility. You can use it for jazz, blues and all that kind of stuff. Well uhm, how long I have been playing. I play now for 12,5 years, (witch is from my 5th). I did before this I think about 11,5 years classical guitar. So a year ago I started playing more jazzy. I went electric and own now two amps and two electric guitars. One Marshall 12 inch 50 watt amp, and a Roland Bluce Cube 12 inch, 30 watt tube amp. Further I own an Epiphone ES 335 archtop, and as I told you this Gibson Les Paul Studio. For classical I have a one of a kind Antonio Raya Pardo, after a model by (I don't know his name anymore, damn) from 1856. Witch is the first rebuild in the world of this model. When my Les Paul was stolen I sure would buy it again, I never play any other kind of solidbody again in my life! What I love about it, that's just the whole impression, it's just the equilibrium between sound, finish, model, looks etc. But maybe it is for some players just to heavy. These guitars aren't light, comparing to a Fender, the first time I played it standing, my back hurts! As you may red above here I compared this Les Paul to a Epiphone Les Paul, and then you know again why you paid all that money. Once again, it's just the overal impression. Epiphone has also great finishes, the most wonderfull flametops, but if sound rely meen somthing to you, you just can't get around with a Epiphone. To end this long story, a great guitar, witch just beg you to play on it! // 10

Les Paul Studio Gem Reviewed by: phewy13, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: hugga guitar

Features: This isn't a Studio Gem, it's just a regular 2004 Studio, they don't have it listed in the model category. It was made in nashville tennesee with 22 fret and a rosewood fretboard. It's got a carved maple top with a solid mahogany back and neck. It's got a 490 and a 498 humbuckers on it that sound pretty hot. The guitar came with a solid gatorskin case with the Gibson USA logo on it and it also game with a combination lock. // 10

Sound: This is a guitar that is very diverse in sound it can go heavy metal, classic rock, I can play some chet atkins on it, it's very versitile. I'm using a Marshall MG100DFX with it right now and it's sounds awsome on it. // 8

Action, Fit & Finish: The action on this guitar is unbelievable it plays very fast. The pick ups are adjusted very well too. There was one flaw in the binding though where the paint wasnt fully covering a very small piece of the wood. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is very very tough, It's taken alot of beating from travelling in the car with me and I figure this guitar is goin to outlive me. The strap buttons are on pretty solid I've had the guitar for quite a while now and they hold it up pretty well, it's a heavy guitar too 13 pounds. If you were to take this guitar on tour it would be all you need it'll be a while b4 this thing ever wears out on me. // 10

Overall Impression: I play alot of classic rock type music and its perfect for it and if this guitar was stolen I'd definetly buy another one after I was done crying. I love the action on it but I'm not a big fan of the weight. It's a very heavy guitar. The only thing I would change on this guitar is the fretboard I'd like to have ebony instead of rosewood. Overall this is an awsome guitar. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Grace Potter Signature Flying V 7.8 Electric Guitars 04/15/2014