Les Paul Studio Plus Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Les Paul Studio Plus
This new model packs all the flavors of the Les Paul Studio, but has a carved AA figured maple unbound top for both stunning looks and great value.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.6
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.6
 Features: 9.4
 8.4
 8.8
 7.9
reviews (5) pictures (1) 6 comments vote for this gear:
Les Paul Studio Plus Reviewed by: Thermon, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Local music store (used)

Features: This guitar has the standards of a Les Paul: A "solid" mahogany body (I was lucky and got one from 2005, which was before Gibson started doing their extreme chambering), a gorgeous flamed maple top, a 22 fret rosewood fretboard, two volume and two tone knobs, a 3-way toggle switch, two humbuckers (mine came with two DiMarzio pickups that had been installed by its previous owner), and a tune-o-matic bridge. The hardware is also gold, and a case was included with my purchase. There is nothing else I really could want out of this guitar if I was looking for a Les Paul; great feeling neck, a nice weighty body, all the standards that I previously mentioned, and one of my favorite finishes I've ever seen on a guitar that is perfectly complimented by the gold hardware and lack of binding. It's a beauty to play and look at. I personally prefer this guitar, mine at least, to higher end Les Paul I've played. The only thing I personally dislike about Les Pauls is the location of the toggle switch can be a bit in the way, so I am taking off a point for that. If you don't mind that though (it doesn't bother me much), this guitar has everything you could want out of a Les Paul. // 9

Sound: If you are looking for the classic, powerful, and versatile sound of a Les Paul, don't be discouraged by the lower price; this guitar has it. Although mine came with DiMarzio's when I bought it, the quality of mine is extraordinary. The mahogany solid body creates the full, living, breathing sound of a Gibson Les Paul the world has come to love. The Les Paul is also one of, if not the, most versatile guitars ever made, in my opinion. When I'm shredding through some Megadeth or Dio, this guitar creates the brutal metal tone of my dreams. When I'm jamming along with classic rock like Led Zeppelin or Thin Lizzy, it sounds fantastic as well. When I switch the Les Paul over to a clean tone, it is as crystal clear as any guitar I've ever played. It's fantastic, and I couldn't be happier. There has never been any sort of fault with the sound of the guitar for me. It is by far my best sounding guitar, and the sustain on it could go on for forever. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I bought this guitar used, so I can't speak for the factory set up, but the first time I picked it up, I was blown away by the amount of comfort it exhibited. I've played many Les Pauls that did absolutely nothing for me and I dislike the necks very much, but I fell in love with mine pretty quickly. The action is perfect for me as far as how it is set up right now, and bending and vibrato feels like a dream on this guitar. I couldn't be happier. The flamed maple top was matched excellently. There are a few flaws in the wood (a few really dark places that stand out) but I rather like it actually; it looks unique and cool to me. I've not seen another one like it, and I really like it. I personally wouldn't change it at all. But because it is technically an imperfection, I will detract a point. There is a slight bit of buzz, but I don't notice when it's plugged in. It could probably be pretty easily fixed, but I don't even notice it all unless I'm playing unplugged, and even then it isn't an issue. For that I will detract a point. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is built like a tank for the most part, and could take a lot of abuse I think. I've played live with it and have had no problems. I've had backup guitars with me, but haven't need to use them. People sometimes complain about Les Pauls going out of tune, but I've had no such problem. As far as ways it has not held up so well, when I first bought it, I had to replace the toggle switch two volume pots. In both of them, dirt had gotten stuck in a little area by the last owner that could not be cleaned out. It had been used as a gigging guitar by the last owner, and I'm not sure how long he owned it for and how much abuse he put it through so I will only detract a point. It was totally worth it to replace these couple of things to get this great guitar to working condition. Also, the gold on the hardware, like I said, wears off pretty quickly, so a point off for that. I put strap locks on it just to be safe and haven't had any problems so far. // 8

Overall Impression: This guitar handles perfectly all the metal, classic rock, blues, and whatever else I feel like playing thrown at it. It looks great, sounds great, feels great, and inspires me to play and write music. It's a fantastic instrument, and although it may have a flaw or two like any guitar, it's my favorite guitar I've ever played. I love it, and it has everything I personally need or would use. If it was stolen, I would buy another Les Paul eventually, and would be happy for another of these. I couldn't be happier with this guitar. // 9

Les Paul Studio Plus Reviewed by: vampwizzard, on november 09, 2012

Features: 2006 Made in USA from Gibson, 22 fret maple topped mahogony, mahogony necked Les Paul Studio. The deluxe is a new line from Gibson this year. The finish is a natural blonde color, which is fantastically done. Tune-O-Matic bridge, standard Les Paul controls. I'm not sure what the stock pickups are, but they are alright. Nothing special, but definately to standard with other Gibsons. Non-locking tuners. Came with hardcase and care kit. Pretty standard Barebones maple topped Les Paul Studio. // 9

Sound: I play in a rock and roll outfit, and I was testing guitars in the 1,000 dollar range. I wanted a Les Paul for the tonal differences from our lead player's Strat. This thing delivers. Mahogany is its own distinct sound. For most Studios, the problem is how muddy they sound because of the large mahogany body. The other studios were way too dark toned for my ear. The maple top made a huge difference. The notes were crisper and the whole sound thickened and was more puncuated. The Les Paul sound is, the Les Paul sound. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was set up terribly from the factory. The strings were not wound on well enough to maintain tuning, and the strings were not that old. The guitar's top was a little improperly lined up but it was still a fantastic top. Everything else seemed to be ok. Not the type of setup youd expect for a guitar that expensive. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I played the thing for almost 2 hours in the shop through all of the amps. Les Pauls are built like tanks, always have been, always will be. The finish was top notch on the top, but id be wary of the other areas. The back and neck would probably get dinged pretty well over time. However, that is true with most guitars. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, I decided to pass on this guitar. The reason was the price/quality. I didn't want to pay 1,300 for a Gibson LP that wasn't quite up to sound, finish, and the setup was terrible. I would've felt much more comfortable with a higher quality instrument. I would say it's a great guitar, but the one I played in the shop was not setup well. // 8

Les Paul Studio Plus Reviewed by: |T4Z|, on november 09, 2012

Features: The Les Paul Studio Plus is made from a select, solid mahogany body with a two-piece book-matched, AA grade maple top. My sample came in a beautiful desert sunburst with plenty of flame maple showing through. The top appears less thick than the carved top on my 1998 Les Paul Standard, and there is no body or neck binding. But to my eye, those omissions do not take away from the eye-pleasing appearance. The guitar has a 24.75-inch scale, 22-fret neck with the typical Gibson trapezoid inlays. It feels similar, but with a little less girth, to the current Les Paul Standard neck. The head stock is adorned with gold plated Kluson Vintage style tuners, and the 17-degree head stock angle ensures the infamous Les Paul sustain. Besides the gold Klusons, other gold plated hardware includes the tune-o-matic bridge, stop-bar tailpiece, Gibson's 498 bridge humbucker and 490R neck humbucker, selector Switch, strap hangers and volume and tone pots (black "speed" knobs). The PUs, which are often described as PAF-like with extra midrange and output, come standard on many guitars including the Les Paul Standard. The Studio Plus includes the same high quality Gibson case that the Standard ships with. A trans red color option is also available for the guitar. // 10

Sound: The guitar came with Gibson .09-.42 strings and were promptly changed to .10-.46 sized strings, which are my personal favorites. Set up was excellent from the factory with intonation dead on, even with the string change. I did notice that the "B" string saddle rattled when I bent a note on that string. I turned the screw a few turns and then readjusted the intonation. That took care of the loose spring. I played the Les Paul Studio Plus through a 1966 Deluxe Reverb, 1999 Fender Twin Reverb reissue, a Marshall JCM2000 DSL201, and a solid state Fender Deluxe 90. Through all the amps the guitar was pure Gibson tone. It sounds like a Les Paul, but the character is slightly darker. Acoustically, my Les Paul Standard rings with more treble because of the thicker maple top. The Les Paul Studio Plus is more mahogany sounding with a warm compressed tone, great for power chords and neck PU jazz runs. The excellent sustain was as good as my Standard. All this Gibson Les Paul sound comes from a significantly lighter guitar than my Standard which is a whale in terms of weight. The Studio Plus is so much easier to play when strapped around your neck. This is a Les Paul a little guy can play. One caveat: the guitar still weighs enough to snap off the steeply angled head stock if it falls on a hard surface. Keep it in the case or locked in a stand. I had no complaints with the Studio Plus. The only thing I would change are the PUs. I like the 490/498 PUs, but I like the Classic 57/57 Plus PUs a little bit more for clean work. They are not quite as sharp in the midrange. // 7

Action, Fit & Finish: As previously mentioned, the guitar has a 24.75" scale, 22-fret neck with the typical Gibson trapezoid inlays. It feels similar, but with a little less girth, to the current Les Paul Standard neck. The head stock is adorned with gold plated Kluson Vintage style tuners, and the 17-degree head stock angle ensures the infamous Les Paul sustain. Besides the gold Klusons, other gold plated hardware includes the tune-o-matic bridge, stop-bar tailpiece, Gibson's 498 bridge humbucker and 490R neck humbucker, selector switch, strap hangers and volume and tone pots (black "speed" knobs). The PUs, which are often described as PAF-like with extra midrange and output come standard on many guitars including the Les Paul Standard. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The Les Paul is Often played live, and the guitar will withstand years of durability. With Solid hardwear and strap buttons, it would withstand a lot of playing, depenable enough to bring it to a gig without a backup! The finish is perhaps one of it's better qualties, will withstand lots of playing and will last year. // 8

Overall Impression: The Gibson folks were excited about the introduction of this new product and rightly so. The Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus is one great humbucker guitar! It is lighter, less expensive, sounds like a premium Les Paul and has a killer look. What else do you want? // 6

Les Paul Studio Plus Reviewed by: ShimmyShimmy, on november 09, 2012

Features: I have the 2003 model. It was proudly made in the USA! The flamed Maple top is not the best quality, but then again I never wanted the studio model, it was just given to me because the store ordered the wrong thing. Of course since is is a Les it is going to be made of a nice piece of warm sounding Mahogany, which gives an awesome fat tone. The tuners hold the strings tuning very well, but after the years of work this guitar has done they don't do the same job they used to, but they still do it well. // 10

Sound: I play mostly punk, pop rock, '80s shred and metal. I bought this guitar for one reason and that was for the tone. I love the les paul's tone and in my opinion it is the best guitar for recording. The neck is no Jackson or Ibanez, but for my band it gets the job done. The guitar makes no extra noise what'soever. I would say that you can get pretty much any type of sound you want out of this guitar depending on your amp settings. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar was pretty much perfect out of the box. I have Faith in the Gibson quality. They know how to do their shit. I love it. The action and playability are what you would expect out of a Les Paul if you are familiar with them. Not the best not the worst, it is no Jackson, but again it does what it was made to do very well. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Ultra reliable. This thing is a rock. I have never had a problem with it. The reliabilty is unmatched, the durability is legendary. I use this guitar at every gig, and usually don't bring a backup unless I am on tour. Speaking of touring my guitar has seen it's share of abuse on stage and on the road, and it never fails me. // 10

Overall Impression: I have been playing for the better part of 8 years. If it was stolen I would be forced to buy another because I couldn't record without my les paul tone. I couldn't Live without this tone, I know tone is preference, but for the most part it gives that big guitar tone that everyone loves. I couldn't really say I hate anything about this guitar because I knew when I bought it I would not be able to do whammy bar dives and shred on the upper frets. If that is the kind of guitar you are looking for check out a Jackson or Ibanez. That is your guitar! // 10

Les Paul Studio Plus Reviewed by: DIMEinOURheart, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Guitar Works

Features: I bought this guitar in early 05 and was made in the USA. It has 22 frets on a Ebony neck. The body is made out of solid mahogany and is Alppine white in colour and has gold hardware. The guitar originally had Gibson pickups, 2 humbuckers in a 3 way configuration but I switched them to EMG 81-85's. One of the great things about the guitar is the case Gibson gives you. Extremely well built and locks up. // 9

Sound: This guitar is perfect for my playing styles. From the influences of JImmy Page and Zakk Wylde it suits both styles. My setup uses lots of distortion so one of the key things I wanted was very little noise and a lot of sustain. The guitar makes very little noise if any until you really crank up the power. To describe the tone on this guitar I would say it has very good low end and Smooth highs. This guitar can play almost any style from metal to jazz. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar had absolutely no flaws from what I could see. The beautiful white fininsh looked exactly the way it did on their site. With the style of music that I play the action was set up almost as if I set it up my self. Just low enough to the fret board that I could rip through scale and high enough that there was no buzzing. The only problem that I had was the pickup selector and it was fixed in minutes when I brought it back in to the store. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely reliable and built like a tank. Since I got the selector fixed I have had no problems with it and needed no repairs. There is only one thing that has bothered me and that is he bridges gold finish has started to fade just a little bit. I do suggest that you do put strap locks on the guitar because like most Gibsons they put tiny little strap buttons. Other then those 2 problem I haven't had any problems. // 9

Overall Impression: I love to play metal and this guitar is a perfect match. After 4 years of playing I still haven't found a better guitar then this for me. The Sound is amazing, comes at a cheap price, likes are stunning, and is totally reliable. I don't wanna be one of those people that say they would buy it again if it were stolen but I think I would. If you're strapped for cash get this guitar and if you're not buy a Gibson Custom. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9.1 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014