Robot Les Paul Studio LTD Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: Robot Les Paul Studio LTD
The Robot Les Paul Studio Ltd. is an electric guitar that offers all the power, tone, and performance of a traditional LP Studio model, with the addition of the revolutionary Robot automatic tuning system.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.3
 Features: 9.3
 9.3
 6.7
reviews (3) 92 comments vote for this gear:
Robot Les Paul Studio LTD Reviewed by: Guitar Freak 86, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Warpdrive Music

Features: This guitar was made in the USA this year (2005). Body, neck and woods: this model has 23 frets and a rosewood fretboard. The body is a solid body made from 2 different woods, Mahogany with a maple (heavier wood) on top as a cap. This guitar would be realy realy realy heavy otherwise. Finish: this guitar looks beautiful, it has a clear finish which is coloured a wine red colour with gold hardware (looks stunning). Body style: this is of course no copy so obviously it's the Gibson Les Paul body shape. Controls: this guitar gives a 3-way selector switch to Switch between the neck, the bridge or both pickups. There is also a volume dial provided for each pickup (2) and 2 tone controls, again one for each pickup. Pickups: these are the Standard Gibson humbuckers which come on the guitar, (check out thier website for more info). Tuners: these are Gibson Deluxe tuners (as standard) very robust. Accessories: this guitar comes with a whole host of accessories; Gibson hard Case with the Gibson logo on "Gibson USA", Gibson strap, Picks (plectrums), Gibson guitar polish/cleaner, Polishing cloth, Gibson tuner, and a lot of information to do with spare parts and other useful stuff. // 9

Sound: This guitar is very diverse. I play a lot of different styles: rock, Indie, punk, ska, skate, emo, soloing etc. It plays very well in all of these styles it is very quick to play as the fretboard is excelent. I am currently using this guitar with a Marshall Valvestate AVT 150 head and a Marshall Valvestate 412A 200w cabinate. This has a whole load of effects on it and the guitar sounds sweet with every one!, the guitar can make a lot of diferent sounds from bright to an rich sound which is great for soloing. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: This guitar was set up perfectly it was tuned and the pickups were set perfectly. The colour was exactly the same as it is shown on every website I have seen and it works wonderfully with the gold and black hardware. The bridge is properly routed and it is also for keeping the guitar in tune as it it self adjusting. Any flaws? No chance! This guitar is perfect, there is not one flaw on it! Everything is cut, placed and fixed perfectly, the finishing of the varnish is also excellent, it covers every where I haven't seen any gaps or uncovered bits yet! and I don't expect to either. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is extremely reliable and durable! I've been playing the guitar now for a good 10 years! And I'm only 17. I haven't known any other guitar be this reliable of durable. This guitar is solid, I've banged it a few times on chairs and desks etc, and it hasne dinted the guitar or even put a scratch on it, I thin Gibson must be using some super laquer or something! The hardware and strap buttons are very strong and seems like they will outlive me! I for one depend on this guitar alone, I have three other guitars and when I go to play at a gig I don't take them unless I'm using different tunings, I depend on this Gibson normaly. I play my guitar for at least 3 hours a day, everyday, this finish seems again like it could outlast me, it shows no sign of wearing away. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of different styles of music: rock, Indie, punk, ska, skate, emo, soloing etc. This guitar is great for all of these styles. I have been playing for 10 or more years now and I'm only 17. I own quite a frew bits and bobs of gear: Marshall AVT 150 stack, Marshall MG 30, Marshall MS-2 microamp, Tanglewood acoustic guitar, another acoustic guitar, PRS (Santana style) guitar, this Gibson, an old Strat (poor), Peavy ST-15 Speakers and a Peavey MP400 PA system (few things more but I've forgotten them). If this guitar was lost or stolen I would cry, then I would go and buy another one (well the insurance would). I love everything about this guitar I feel it has no bad points! My favourite feature would have to be the sound or the looks. I compared this guitar with the new Fender Strat (675) and the Fender H/H/S Strat, and to be honest the Fenders play awful! They say you either like Fenders or Gibsons, so if ur considering buying either, check both of them out, go and play one first (I'm definately a Gibson man). // 10

Robot Les Paul Studio LTD Reviewed by: Jon Rambo 7, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Features: This is a 2008 Gibson Les Paul Robot guitar. Mine has a metallic green finish with 22 frets and an ebony fretboard. It also sports the nice inlays that everyone is used to seeing on a LP and has binding on the neck and headstock. The body is mahogany with a maple top. The main feature of this guitar is the tuning system. It tunes to Standard, dropped D, Double dropped D, open E, delta blues tuning (DGDGBD), DADGAD open D, and down 1/2 step, It will also tune to a reference pitch you select and check the intonation of each string. The system is very simple to use. It features the Standard 2 volume and 2 tone knobs that all LPs have, but the tone knob for the neck pup is a push/pull knob. It is the MCK (Master Control Knob). When you pull it out it activates the self-tuning features. I'm not going to go into what the different LED displays on the MCK mean, but but selecting the tuning you want and just lightly strumming the strings it will tune to the selected tuning in about 10 seconds. The feature is not worth it if you only plan to go from Standard to dropped D, but if you are changing the tuning of every string it is very helpful. Especially if you want to change tunings Live and not have to have extra guitars just for a different tuning on one song. It has a Tune-Control bridge which is a modified Tune-O-Matic bridge that works with the CPU and Powerhead Locking Tuners to tune the guitar. It features a 490R pup in the neck and 498T in the bridge. They feature the characteristics of the PAF but with more upper mid-range response. The 498 swaps the Alnico II magnet to an Alnico V, which makes it slightly hotter with emphasis on mid-ranges and highs. It also has a Neutrik Locking jack which is a nice addition. It also came with a charger. You just plug the charger into the wall and then connect the guitar to it with an instrument cable and it charges. You shouldn't ever have to open the guitar up to get at the battery to do anything. // 9

Sound: I play rock and blues. Ranges from SRV-style blues to GNR type rock to punk and metal. The guitar can do all of it except for the blues. It CAN do it well, but I have a Strat that I prefer for that. I'm using the LP robot with a Marshall JCM 800 2203 and a Fulldrive 2 MOSFET OD pedal. I also use other effects like wah and delay occasionally and they all sound good with it. I love the neck pup on the robot. With the OD pedal I get a very nice saturated sound that is great for soloing. Roll down the volume knob and it cleans up very nice, although it lacks the grit that my LP Classic has when I roll back the volume on that. It does get a very nice clean though. The pups also respond well to variations in your picking attack - pick softer and it's cleaner, pick hard and it gets louder and dirtier. I know this is mainly the amp, but I have played some guitars through the amp that didn't have that sort of response. The bridge pup has a higher output and sounds very nice with the OD pedal, although I wish it was a little bit higher output on it's on going straight into the amp. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: The guitar came to me with the action a little bit high. I did order it online from Sam Ash and it shipped from Tampa (which is humid) out to Texas (which is just a little bit drier) so that could have effected it too. The pup height was set well and I didn't get any string buzzing. The guitar itself did not contain any flaws at all. The only problem was that it was missing the cable that plugged went from the charging adapter to the wall. I called Sam Ash and they offered a $50 discount on the $999 I paid for it or to exchange it if I wanted, but they didn't have any extras to send me. The guitar was great so I didn't want to exchange it so I took the discount and called Gibson who then supplied me with one. The tuners, pup selector, knobs and everything were tight and on properly. The neck was aligned, hardware was all in great condition, etc. My only complaint was the cord that went from the adapter to the wall missing, and that was taken care of. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This guitar withstands Live playing. I play my guitars hard Live and have not had any problems with it. I actually bought this guitar as a backup to my LP Classic. I was wanting another LP and then when I saw Sam Ash was having a blowout sale I jumped at the chance to get one. It's all quality hardware. The strap buttons were solid but I replaced them with locking tuners as guitar straps seem to slip off of the stock straps that come on LPs for whatever reason. For the price of some strap locks I wouldn't risk having my guitar go crashing to the ground or flying into a stage light (sometihng that happened once with an Ibanez) just because the strap slipped off of the strap button. You could use this guitar without a backup if you wanted as you can use it for every song regardless of what tuning the song is in. You still run the risk of breaking a string or something though. So if you don't want to have to take a timeout to change a string I'd take a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I love this guitar. I bought it because of the price I got for it and was a little nervous until I got it. It's better than I thought it would be and the tuning system has worked flawlessly so far (knock on wood) and is very easy to use. I still think I prefer my Gibson Les Paul Classic though. They both feel great to play, but I like the pups in the Classic a little bit better. They just have a little higher output and have more of a raw, gritty feel to them. I could easily swap out the pups in the robot and have that same sound if I wanted to though. If I lost it or it was stolen I would buy another at the price I bought it for, but if I had to pay the normal price of $2000 or more I would probably look for another LP Classic or LP Traditional or something. // 9

Robot Les Paul Studio LTD Reviewed by: patriotpizzaman, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: guitar center

Features: This particular instrument was born in the Gibson factory in Nashville, Tennesse in 2007. It has all of the Standard features of a Les Paul Studio so I'll focus on the features unique to the robot itself. The robot features a "brain" that monitors the string tension of the instrument and makes calculated adjustments based on that information. It will tune to Standard 440, dropped D, Double dropped D, open E, delta blues tuning (DGDGBD), DADGAD open D, and down 1/2 step, It will tune to a reference pitch you select. You can also create your own alternate tuning and save it over any of the presets you want. In string up mode it will help you string up by winding the strings for you while monitoring the string tension. It winds the string until it reaches the proper string tension which leaves the string virtually in tune which is awesome if you're at a gig and break a string. It will also preform the same function to remove your strings(string down mode). It also features an intonation function that is incredibly accurate. I have used this function once and it worked like a charm. You can also adjust the speed and accuracy of the tuning process. It comes with a self contained rechargable battery pack that powers the robot features. Expect more than 200 tunings per charge and it has an LED readout when you turn it on that tells you how much power is left in the battery.The machine heads on this instrument are referred to as the powerheads and they have several features themselves. First of all they have "locking technology" The posts screw down onto the strings "locking" them into place and the pegs pull out and push in to engage and disengage the gears inside of the powerhead. The powerheads recieve electricity from the battery through the strings so don't touch the strings while tuning. You will recieve a lite shock. I did this a few times by accident before I figured out what was shocking me. It felt like static electicity. It comes equipped with Gibson hand wound 490r and 498t in the bridge and neck positions respectivly. The body is made up of a chambered mahogany base and solid maple top cap. It has a one piece solid mahogany neck with a beautifully bound ebony fingerboard. A 12" radius, scale length of 24 3/4" and trapezoid inlays. One of a kind blue silverburst nitrocellulose finish. All packed tightly into a one of a kind silver hard shell case with a three digit combination lock on it. // 10

Sound: I play through a Line 6 Flextone II Plus. It sounds great on every setting. It sounds great unplugged for that matter. The rich full sound of this guitar is beautifully enhanced by the 490r and 498t hand wound Gibson humbuckers. It's very quiet when not being played. Almost to the point of wondering if you're plugged in or if your volume knob is turned down. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: Perfectly setup at the factory. Everything as well put together as anyone could ask for. The only flaw on mine was in the finish and it was significant enough to warrant a refinish job that Gibson performed for me at no cost to me. On a limited edition 1st run instrument you don't want to look down and see a huge "Orange peel" on the body alongside of the place where the fretboard mounts to the body. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have been doing a four hour show once a week since february and although it's not the only guitar I use, (I have a lot of acoustic material), it is the only one that hasn't given me any problems.This guitar is solid as a rock. I'd have no problem using this guitar alone. It's almost like having more than one guitar with you. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and country, a little hard rock and metal(old school 80's). It has suited me very well for all of these styles. If it were stolen or lost it would be irreplaceable.Mine is no.677 out of the 2000 produced for sale here in the States. I love the sound of this guitar. It has such a full rich sound it inspires me to play more often and for longer periods of time than I used to. It's truely beautiful to behold as well. People are literally awed by the sight of it when you strap it on. I've been playing for 25 years and I've owned some nice guitars in that time('84 Gibson V, Fender Srat, Gibson SG, Fender Thinline Tele to name a few). Nothing compares to the quality of this guitar. // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ 120th Anniversary SG Standard 2014 Min-ETune 7.1 Electric Guitars 08/15/2014