SG-X Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 11/09/2012 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: SG-X
It's Summer with a capital "S," which stands for Surf, which means the new Gibson SG-X is here.
 Action, Fit & Finish: 8.5
 8.1
 9.1
 7.1
reviews (2) 54 comments vote for this gear:
SG-X Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 09, 2012

Features: The guitar was made in Nashville, Tennessee (in the USA if you didn't know). It has a 24 3/4" scale neck with 24 frets, which looks like narrow jumbo frets to me. The neck is fat like a baseballbat and has a rosewood fretboard. Both the neck and body is in mahogany as Gibson usualy uses. Mine is a clean black (called ebony) finish but also was made in a finish called 'Dark Wineburst'. The brige is a Tune-O-Matic as usual for the SG models. The tuners are Die-Cast I think. It only has one microphone and it's in brige position, it's a 500T humbucker. The controls are simple, 1 tone, 1 volume and a coil-tap switch. // 7

Sound: The sound is amazing. I've read quite allot about this guitar and almost everyone thinks that the guitar doesn't sound so good with clean settings on, but I really love the cleans on this baby! And with distortion it really shines, oh baby it can blow down an audience! It has a full warm sound, which is what you get when you mix mahogany with humbuckers. I play mostly thrash-metal but I also play rock, punk, pop and more. And I think it fits 'em all, just tweak with the tone-knob and the coil-tap and you'll get what you want. I use an old Marshall called Master Reverb 30 (made '86), which sounds really good in clean mode and thrashy/stoner in distorted mode. I also use it through a Zoom 7.1ut and you can get every sound you would ever want throgh that (but it needs quite much tweaking). // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I don't know how it was set at the factory as I bought it 2nd-hand. When I got it the action was a little too high for me, but just a little (even though it was quite low). The pickup was a little low, so I raised it a bit. It looks like the frets were taken care of not long before I got it. The neck was straight as an arrow. The body and headstock had a few dings, witch I prefer (I like when you see that they have been used). When I got it I were going to clean it a bit, but didn't think before I did it, I used a little deodurant spray because I thought I smelled a little bad and it wasn't good for the laquer and I got two circle shaped marks on it. But they doesn't show so much thou. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This baby WILL stand a Live gig, that's fore sure. Unless you throw it into the ground with the neck first, real hard. It's build like a tank. The only thing that's bad is that it has small strapbuttons, but as always you should change them to strap-locks. The finish seems good, and I think it's nitro-celulose, and it will wear of in time just as it should. So gig with it without a backup, if you don't wanna destroy it on stage. // 10

Overall Impression: I mainly play thrash-metal and this baby fits it damn good. I can tell you that I'm no expert of playing but I know a lot of guitars. This is my first Gibson but I've played some before and I really love the quality of 'em. I own a modified Gregg Bennett Avion 3, a modified Ibanez Roadstar II and as you see I like to modify my guitars, what should I do with this one (maybe strip the neck down to the wood, that wold look nice). If it were stolen I would be damn sad because I'm a student and as we all know students are quite poor so it would be hard for me to get money for a new guitar, but if I had the money I would definitely get the same model again if I could find a new one. Actually I love everything about it, of course it could have tonepros bridge and tailpiece, sperzel tuners and other extravagant features but what the hek, it does what it suppose to do! When I was in the store I was there to try an Epiphone Firebird Studio (limited) but the neck was heavy and the bodyshape wasn't made for my knee, so I tried almost every guitar theyv'e had and the one that was the nicest was actually an cheap Epi SG. So I went to another store to try this SG and damn I'm glad I did. So if you find any of these guitars, try 'em and you'll probably go home happy with a new guitar. // 9

SG-X Reviewed by: rhoadsboy815, on november 09, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay

Features: My SG-X is a 1999 which was the last year Gibson made them. It has an army green finish with a black pick guard. One Volume knob, one Tone knob and a toggle Switch to coil tap the one humbucker it has. 24 fret set neck. Whole thing is made from mahogany, but because it's an SG it's relatively light. (Thin body). It also has a tune-o-matic bridge. That's all she wrote! The only reason I gave this a 9 out of 10 was because I really want a sea-foam green one. I found this one on ebay and had to have it. And to be honest, I'm lucky I found one in any shade of green! // 9

Sound: I mostly play indie/rock/pop/punk music in my band Euralea! So I have to have something that can play nice clean chords and sound heavy, which it does. I play alot more lead work than most Indie bands do so it has to deliver in that department... Which it does. I was really That concerned with how it was going to sound when I bought it, just because they're so rare and I really really want one. I'm collecting them now. But I have Never heard a guitar sound this big before. I plug it into my Marshall valvestate avt 50h and crank it to 11 and it roars. It has something to do with how the wood in the body and the neck resonates so well and how the pickup "picks up" all of that. It sounds Amazing. I also make more shreddy instrumentals in my off time and this guitar isnt the ideal guitar for some vai sounding stuff but it certainly works! I just played the National anthem on it last night at a ballpark and it sounded great! It might be the best sounding guitar I own. // 10

Action, Fit & Finish: I had it shipped to me so the seller tuned all the strings down. When I got it I tuned it up and that was it. Action was perfect. Didn't have to adjust the pickup height because it was right where I like it. It has a couple dings but nothing that takes the paint off. Just those dents in the finish you get from bumping into stuff. No rusted parts at all. The guitar looks amazing and plays like a dream. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've been playing this guitar a ton. For bands practices, it has turned into my go-to guitar. I play gigs with it all the time and it shows no sign of stopping. The action hasn't moved and none of the electronics have gone out. I haven't had any need to install strap locks yet, which I usually do. All of my other guitars have them. The strap just stays on. The finish has came off at all either. I'm going to hold onto this guitar for a while and sell it sometime way off in the future when the value goes up and up... But honestly I don't know if I'll be able to sell it! It plays so good and matches my style perfectly. We have to do the occasional All Time Low cover and of course this guitar will sound perfect there! This guitar is as solid as a rock. The tuning doesn't even go out that much. I tune it about once a week and it's fine! // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said, I play Indie punk for Euralea! And I do my own Instrumental stuff and it fits fine for both. I've been playing for about 5 years. If this guitar gets stolen I MIGHT she'd a tear! It's that awesome. I would definitely start searching for a new one but who knows how long that could take because these guitars are so hard to find. Even though it's what you could call a "Low Grade Gibson", it feels like a $2000 guitar. These guitars originally sold for what, a couple hundred bucks or so when they first came out? And now they're selling for around 800 bucks a piece. Sheesh. I was lucky with my price of $500. That also included a hard shell case with grey fuzzy interior that looks great! I don't really care that much about cases but I'm glad I got it! All in all I'm Very happy with it and will buy more SG-X's in the future because for some reason I'm attached to them. Need more! I might buy a white pick guard in the future to Switch out the old black one, but I'll keep the old one just in case I sell the guitar. Hopefully this review helps anybody who was wondering about a SG-X! // 10

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Midtown Custom 7 Electric Guitars 10/07/2014