SG Deluxe 2013 Review

manufacturer: Gibson date: 06/14/2013 category: Electric Guitars
Gibson: SG Deluxe 2013
This guitar sings, screams, does everything! The magic is in the three '57s and "TogPot" feature which allows you to blend the center pickup with either the neck or bridge pickups offering multiple tone options. Along with the beautiful maple top for brightness this guitar has a wonderful rich/full blend of sound to it.
 8.9
 9.4
 8.3
review (1) pictures (5) 22 comments vote for this gear:
SG Deluxe 2013 Reviewed by: hermonics, on june 14, 2013

Features: My new 2013 Gibson SG Deluxe is a beautiful Lime Burst made in Nashville, TN. December of 2012. Stamped 2013. AA-grade figured maple top. Mahogany body and neck. The neck is a slim '60s profile with rosewood fretboard, split diamonds inlays on bound headstock and bound neck. 24 medium jumbo frets. This is a nice fast, comfortable neck boys and girls. Three '57 Classic humbuckers, 3-pickup selector switch with new "TogPot" center pickup blend control. Tune-o-matic bridge. Bigsby tailpiece, locking high ratio Grover tuners, chrome hardware, and Gibson USA hardshell Case. // 10

Sound: This guitar sings, screams, does everything! I have been playing for 44 years now and this is by far my favorite guitar. I would gig with this SG Deluxe anywhere. It fits all the styles I play. From rock, blues, indie, alternative, whatever. The magic is in the three '57s and "TogPot" feature which allows you to blend the center pickup with either the neck or bridge pickups offering multiple tone options. Along with the beautiful maple top for brightness this guitar has a wonderful rich/full blend of sound to it. I have plugged it into my Vox AC30, Blackstar HT5-R combo, and a EVH 5150 and she rips with all of them. You won't be disappointed. // 9

Action, Fit & Finish: I'm telling you quality control at Gibson kept a good eye on this one. The finish is superb. It's like your looking into an Amazon jungle with the Limeburst, just beautiful with a subtle sparkle to the burst, back, and neck. Believe it or not there are no flaws to this guitar. The only thing I adjusted was the action. But everyone has to adjust the action to what there preference is anyway. Now you know this guitar has three pickups and a lot of you out there will say the middle pickup gets in the way of you picking attack. So keep this in mind. This guitar might not be the ideal guitar for everyone if this is a concern for you or if you don't like slim '60s necks. If you can find one go play with it. You will know. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This guitar is for sure stage worthy. Gibson has always been durable and reliable to me, so I don't think this guitar will be any different. Maybe I'm lucky or blessed, or put out the extra money for the quality I expect from Gibson. But they delivered the goods so I'm standing by them. The pictures on the Internet really does not reflect the beauty of this guitar. They are hard to find here at the stores in Vegas. I saw one at the CES show in Jan. Find one and you will see what I mean. Play it and use the "TogPot". I think you will enjoy it. // 9

Overall Impression: Do your homework and hone your negotiating skills and you can get this guitar for a fair price. This guitar is the best SG I have ever played. TogPot blend switch is a great feature which opens all kinds of tone options. I love the neck, very fast and comfortable. The 24 frets doesn't hurt either. The whole guitar fits me like a glove. The finish will blow your mind. It is flat out a stunning guitar. Plays and sounds great. The only thing I would change, would be to inlay Mother of Pearl instead of acrylic. This is the only reason I'm giving this one a nine. Gibson SG Deluxe 2013 overview from YouTube:

// 9

More Gibson reviews rating category latest review
+ Explorer Vampire Blood Moon 9 Electric Guitars 09/15/2014